Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

July 7, 2008 10:07 PM

Summer League updates

As I feared I would, I missed one ex-Husky in yesterday's post detailing who is playing where in the summer leagues --- Bobby Jones.

Jones, who set an NBA record by playing for five different teams last season, is on the summer league roster of the team with which he ended the year --- the Denver Nuggets. The Nuggets begin play Saturday in Las Vegas.

--- Also, Will Conroy had three points and four assists in 14:29 of action in the summer league opener today for the New Jersey Nets (here's the box score). The Nets beat Orlando 86-74.

BRANDON JENNINGS UPDATE --- A few of you have asked for the latest on Arizona recruit Brandon Jennings, who is still waiting on a test score and also has pondered the idea of playing next year in Europe no matter his academic situation. Pete Thamel of the New York Times, attending the LeBron James Skills Academy, writes that "I haven't talked to one coach today who thinks (Jennings) will attend Arizona.''

All for now.

Posted by MT Husky

8:07 AM, Jul 08, 2008

Bob,

Thanks for the continuous updates, it has been great.

I’m confused on two counts though (from comments on the previous thread):

1) You say they have two scholarships left for next year’s class…but don’t they only have one? There are three seniors (with Joel Smith gone) and they’ve used up two scholarships with Wilcox and Garcia, right? Or am I missing something?

2) I thought the rumored addition wouldn’t affect the scholarship. Or, was it that it wouldn’t affect the 2008 scholarships but would 2009?

My apologies if somewhere I’m missing the boat on both of these.

Posted by grant

9:08 AM, Jul 08, 2008

I was confused by that too MT. I figure Bob will make it all clear when he reveals his big secret. But I take it this means that Kavario Middleton is not the player he is talking about. And don't forget Romar always goes over the limit with recruits and then makes it work somehow.

Posted by Mix

9:30 AM, Jul 08, 2008

Posted by MT Husky

10:07 AM, Jul 08, 2008

Thanks Mix, that was a great article.

I have already been excited about Gant, but that article help legitimize my excitement. With so much attention on the four freshmen, I think two guys have been overlooked who could really be key contributors next season; Holiday and Gant.

You look at Gant’s senior stats ( http://gohuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gant_darnell00.html ) and they are awfully impressive (a post player averaging more than 4 assists a game!).

He now has had a full year to compete in practice, get a feel for the game at the collegiate level and improve his strength and size. To me, that gives him a nice advantage over the majority of other freshmen playing their first year of ball in the Pac-10.

He just strikes me as a player who when he is on the court, good things will happen. Blocked shots, key passes to scorers like IT, hitting the open jumper, etc.

November 15th can’t come fast enough.

Posted by Mix

11:11 AM, Jul 08, 2008

yeah, I also just love Gant's attitude. He seems like a really humble, team first, smart guy. I love the note about someone showing up in the hotel lobby for a road game and there was Gant playing the piano in the lobby, and doing a heck of a job at the keys.

Can't wait to see him on the court in a couple months

Posted by bballin

1:12 PM, Jul 08, 2008

Darnell can play. He works hard, is humble and is an intelligent player. great post moves, his shot has improved considerably...

3:49 PM, Jul 08, 2008

All indications are that UW will sign four in the Class of 2009 . Yes, that would put them one over at the moment, but Husky watchers should know by now not to be surprised by that. You are right in that they now have three seniors in 2008, so theoretically only three open schollies. But again, all indications are to expect four. One of the scholarships for 2009 could be the possible addition, but it supposedly wouldn't affect 2008 (this season). I can say it has nothing to do with Kavario Middleton or any other football player.

Posted by MT Husky

3:55 PM, Jul 08, 2008

Bob, thank you.

As you said, based on past history I have been guessing that Romar will try to sign 4 recruits, but when you said there are 2 scholarships left I wondered if I had missed something somewhere along the line – thanks for the clarification.

Thank you also for the small additional hint on this mystery addition. I feel like this is becoming a game and can hardly wait for the next hint.

So…is this mystery player bigger than a bread box?

Posted by Bender, B.

4:49 PM, Jul 08, 2008

Bob,

Did your mystery boy play for UCLA last year?

Posted by grant

10:36 PM, Jul 08, 2008

aka Chase Stanback?

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

LeBron James plugs Kia K900; Tesla Model X delay likelynew
(Kia) LeBron James teams with Kia Basketball star LeBron James has partnered with Kia to promote the K900, the brand's first rear-drive luxury sedan. ...