Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

July 1, 2008 9:07 AM

Is O.J. Mayo the next Brandon Roy?

Well, that's not exactly what Gregg Doyel of Sportsline.com is saying in this column.

But he does compare the two to make a point that he thinks Mayo will be the best player to come out of this draft, as Roy is becoming the best player out of the draft of 2006. While admitting that their games are quite different, both players, Doyel says, have the ability to get better as the game around them gets better, so he thinks Mayo will make the same quick transition to the NBA that Roy did.

Obviously, time will provide the best evidence.

In quickly reviewing their stats for their final seasons of college, I was actually a little surprised they turned out to be so similar. Here are Roy's, and here are Mayo's --- Roy averaged 20.2 points, 5.6 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game while Mayo aveaged 20.7, 4.5 and 3.3. The biggest difference might have been turnovers (75 for Roy, 117 for Mayo) which could be argued was in part due to experience --- Mayo played just one year of college ball while that was year four for Roy.

Posted by grant

9:33 AM, Jul 01, 2008

Posted by Austin

9:56 AM, Jul 01, 2008

Not Bloody Likely!

Posted by Jon

10:16 AM, Jul 01, 2008

USC went out like a lamb in the NCAA tourney. Brandon was the key figure on two Sweet 16 runs and oh so painfully close to advancing to the Elite 8 his *senior* season. I don't like the comparison.

On other matters, do you think anyone will soon be coming out of Montlake on a "roster addition?" Not asking you to speculate on whom, just when.

Thanks!

Posted by BlazingBlazer

11:09 AM, Jul 01, 2008

Thats almost as ridiculous as claiming Kyle Waever to be the next Nate McMillan.

Posted by MT Husky

11:10 AM, Jul 01, 2008

Blasphemy

Posted by kr

11:11 AM, Jul 01, 2008

No. Attitude and experience made Brandon Roy the ROY and the player he is in the NBA. Mayo has neither.

Posted by Ziasudra

11:27 AM, Jul 01, 2008

Who cares about orange juice mayonaisse? I want to know about UW upcoming prospects.
Any news on the schedule publication?

Posted by seattlegoodness

11:32 AM, Jul 01, 2008

Sadly, Minnesota traded both and will probably regret trading Mayo, like they must regret trading Roy.

Posted by 206er

12:15 PM, Jul 01, 2008

grant said it best- "no"

period

Posted by UW Alum

12:38 PM, Jul 01, 2008

Roy is much better defensively and doesn't turn the ball over as frequently so the comparison isn't really one at all, at least not yet, the only similarity is the the Timberwolves continue to make bonehead decisions by trading away good players on draft night.

Posted by mattysimone

1:29 PM, Jul 01, 2008

I think mayo will be soild. watched the pre draft on his bio and hes a gym rat. thats never a bad thing. Look at his outfit on draft night compared to everyone else's. he seems to be all about business. stupid trade by minnesota! As for rookie of year...hmm unlikely but maybe 25% chance. best player outta the class 5 years from now. that I would say is likely.

Posted by jajab0o0gz

1:54 PM, Jul 01, 2008

not going to happen. Mayo not humble enough.

Posted by Greg

2:19 PM, Jul 01, 2008

Nope...OJ Mayo is the next Harold Miner at best

Posted by merseybeat

3:47 PM, Jul 01, 2008

Hell No
B Roy is silk
O.J. is good but not close

Posted by Don

3:55 PM, Jul 01, 2008

I'm a huge fan of B Roy but to compare apples to apples it's only fair to look at Roy after his freshman year . Now tell me how they compare.

10:06 PM, Jul 01, 2008

On the schedule, I updated it here four days ago on the Friday blog. Look there. As soon as I know more I will post it but at the moment, everything I know I have posted. Same with the incoming player rumors. What I can say I have said. When I can say more I will.

Posted by MichaelGain

11:31 AM, Jul 02, 2008

Give me a break!

Posted by UDubHushiesOWN

10:13 PM, Jul 03, 2008

Bob,

I have a couple questions about recruiting. First, where do you think Abdul Gaddy, Avery Bradley, and Aron Dotson are going to end up at. Do you think any of them will be a Husky? Also, do you think UDub can get Tony Wroten or Josh Smith. Please tell me where you think these recruits will end up

Thanks - and Go Dawgs

12:13 PM, Jul 04, 2008

To the recruiting questions --- I really have no idea where Gaddy and Bradley are going to end up, and I don't think they do, either. I will say I think any chance of both ending up at UW is pretty much kaput as the Huskies appear to have two rides left for that class and have set their sights on a big man for one of them. I think those guys have a few months left to make their decisions. Not basing this on anything other than gut feel, at the moment I think I'd be surprised if Gaddy ended up at UW, less so on Bradley.

On Dotson, I would say that it sounds like his recruitment may last a while. He doesn't appear to have a lot of offers yet and may wait a little while to see if more come in.

Rumblings are that UCLA is the early favorite for Smith but I would imagine UW will be in the hunt to the end.

It's so early in Wroten's process that I couldn't really guess any better than anyone else where he will end up. Given is ties to UW, however, I would think the Huskies would have a good shot. Lots of times local guys get enamored early on of looking around at out-of-the-area schools (Brandon Roy's favorite was Arizona for a long time) but in the end, the pull of staying home can be pretty great.

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

Indian revives Scout and takes aim at Harleynew
The Indian Scout motorcycle, favored by stunt riders, has made a daring comeback, with some reviewers saying it's a serious competitor to Harley-David...