Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

June 28, 2008 7:17 PM

Rumor control

While the departure of Joel Smith seems to settle the roster issue for next season, rumors persist that more changes could be afoot.

The rumblings I've heard is that it is of a possible addition, and not a subtraction, but without getting any clearer confirmation, I don't yet feel it responsible to pass along details. Indications are that the rest of the current Huskies for next year are set on returning.

Posted by AZ Dawg

7:34 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Is there someone on a football scholie planning on playing???

Posted by Jamaal

7:44 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Alex Stepheson?

Posted by justin

8:06 PM, Jun 28, 2008

bizarre post, bob! thanks for keeping on top of the story

Posted by G

8:13 PM, Jun 28, 2008

yah, or some JC transfer we're eyeing now? anyone know who the rumors are of? would like some more info..

Posted by mj

8:57 PM, Jun 28, 2008

I'll predict that we'll lose another, and after months of wondering how we're going to get from 14 down to 13 players...we'll end up with 12.
Again.

Posted by wayupwaydown

9:26 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Bob,

So you are playing the I have a secret and I won't tell you game?

Come on Bob, spill it. I know you want to tell us. Come on fella....you know you want to say it. We won't tell anyone.

9:52 PM, Jun 28, 2008

I understand this post may seem like it's teasing a bit. What I wanted to do was answer those who have asked if I've heard rumors. Yes, I have, and I'm trying to do what I can to get at them. But without having any proper sourcing, etc., I don't yet have enough to pass along. I wouldn't have brought it up at all except that it's been brought up in other places, so I want to acknowledge that I've heard things, as well. This is where the world of having blogs is a little different for those of us brought up in traditional print journalism. We're kind of at the info gathering stage without having anything solid to pass along yet but since I have a blog and people have asked questions, I feel compelled to at least acknowledge the question. What I can say is that I've heard that it doesn't necessarily have to impact the scholarship situation at all.

Posted by Buck

10:18 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Bob/anyone else who wants to take a stab at this -
Would a guy like Brockman ever give up his scholarship and take out a loan to make up for his scholarship stipend (he's going to the league, anyway) and just pay in-state tuition in order to get another guy in?

Posted by Ignacio

10:19 PM, Jun 28, 2008

If it doesn't have to impact the scholly situation it means someone is paying their own way, which suggests its a local kid coming home. Who could it be?

Posted by Scot

10:27 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Kavario Middleton will be playing hoops.

Posted by Scott

10:30 PM, Jun 28, 2008

Mark Sanford found out that the Glotters are now consiiderred professional ball and will be coming back to finish his degree.

Posted by Ryan

12:23 AM, Jun 29, 2008

I too am thinking this has to do with Kavario Middleton.

Posted by cougfan

12:34 AM, Jun 29, 2008

i thought for sure you all would ask jake locker to be the savior of basketball as well as football

Posted by patience

1:02 AM, Jun 29, 2008

would love to see kavario suit up. would be ready for pac 10 games if the football sqaud doesn't get a bowl bid, which would be difficult to imagine at this point.

with brockman, wallace and middleton all checking in at 6' 7'
260 or so, that's lot of beef banging the boards!

Posted by Ziasudra

6:40 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Bob - at this point of the season, all we have are rumors! Keep them coming!

Posted by old timer

8:26 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Got to think it's got something to do with a big guy. Someone with an offensive presence to compliment a talent like Brockman would add a lot to this team. Hopefully it would be someone who could contribute right away since Brockman only has one more season.

Posted by wayupwaydown

8:30 AM, Jun 29, 2008

I think Middleton could help a little. He can bang and is athletic. He can rebound and play a little D.

Posted by johnboy

8:47 AM, Jun 29, 2008

they will be losing another kid, and Romar will be on the hot seat for this one..

Posted by Mix

8:53 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Thanks Bob, I asked about the rumor on a previous thread, so the acknowledgement is appreciated.

Chace Stanback could be an option, I don't believe he's found a home after leaving UCLA...

Posted by G

9:38 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Mix, i beleive he'd have to sit out a season, so in terms of the upcoming season that isnt really an option. as far as i know Kavario Middleton is still an option for THIS year.... so we'll see i guess.

Posted by Mix

9:55 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Alex Stepheson would make a lot of sense, he'd sit for a year, but then have 2 years to play and he would fill a critical need for the Dawgs. And his talent would be much better than some of the current roster (like Wolf).

Plus he's been keeping his transfer progress very quiet, so all of that would seem to fit...

Posted by grant

10:26 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Stepheson is transferring to be closer to a sick family member back home in LA. USC or UCLA seem more likely destinations for him. It would be sweet if he ended up at UW though.

Posted by sittingdawg

11:41 AM, Jun 29, 2008

Not affecting the scholarship situation seems to indicate it would be a football player. Because if they play both, it counts against football right?

If so, Middleton would make sense. Or Devin Aguiar; wasn't he a standout basketball player in high school?

Posted by naterob4

12:37 PM, Jun 29, 2008

I hope Kavario decides to play hoops!!! He was a beast in the State tourney this year..Ty probably doesn't want it, but oh well

Posted by Scott

1:17 PM, Jun 29, 2008

If Locker plays baseball, they should let Middleton play hoops under the same conditions. It didn't impact Reggie Rogers' performance on the football field.

Posted by mattysimone

4:23 PM, Jun 29, 2008

I hope it is middelton! Hes a beast! I love the two sport athlete! there will never be another BO. i must say I am only a husky basketball fan because of nate robinson. I had to go watch him on the court after watching him on the field! I think nate could make the nfl too.....

Posted by HVH.com

7:56 PM, Jun 29, 2008

I'm reading all this "We want Middleton" talk, but let's get serious...he's not a Pac-10 basektball player and even if he played for the Dawgs next year he would have little or no impact on our season.

There is a reason he's playing TE for the Dawgs and not PF for San Diego State.

Posted by uw15

11:30 PM, Jun 29, 2008

chace stanback was in for a visit

Posted by LFPDawg

11:36 PM, Jun 29, 2008

Brockman should play football... he'd be so good in the NFL.

Posted by Romarville86

11:41 PM, Jun 29, 2008

Udub 15,

Can you confirm he was here for a visit with any sources or it just hearsay?

Posted by uw15

12:42 AM, Jun 30, 2008

I had it confirmed through a source with the team that he was in for a visit, whether anything comes of it is to be determined

Posted by Mix

7:11 AM, Jun 30, 2008

I wonder if Stepheson has made a visit, I've heard that he wanted to be home (CA), but that he was also considering the Arizona schools.... and if you can live in Arizona, Washington isn't any further away....

Posted by MT Husky

7:59 AM, Jun 30, 2008

If there is any truth to the rumor (and Bob, thanks for the update even if it is unsubstantiated at this point), remember that it isn't suppose to impact the scholarship issue.

That being the case, how could it be anyone like Stepheson or Stanback who would be scholarship players?

It seems to me the only two realistic options are someone who is scholarshipped through a different sport (which is why to me Middleton does make the most sense) or a walk-on who most likely wouldn't be any sort of an impact player.

Posted by Mix

9:54 AM, Jun 30, 2008

If Artem was to take a medical redshirt would that be an option?
Also it could be possible that someone like Artem or Brock or Wolf gives up their Scholly for the year.

Or (getting real crazy here) what if it's the other way around. What if Brockman went on a football scholarship?

Posted by Dre325

10:35 AM, Jun 30, 2008

Hey Mix, Brockman would have to play football to be on a football scholarship and that ain't happenin' any time soon. Bob, you've outdone yourself here by creating a bit of a buzz about this rumor. We're all chompin' at the bit to hear any pieces of the story that you've been able to firm up!!

Posted by Scott

3:20 PM, Jun 30, 2008

HVH.com,

You say...
"he's not a Pac-10 basektball player"
"There is a reason he's playing TE for the Dawgs and not PF for San Diego State"

I think he can play a role. He's a huge dude and a great athelete. The only reason he's not playing College basketball is because he's an incredible 5 star football player. He was the #1 recruit in the state. He's probably not worth a basketball scholarship in the PAC 10, but I think he can contribute.

Posted by Pete

11:10 AM, Jul 01, 2008

Uh, Brockman is not an NFL athlete. Sorry. Not even close.

Posted by dawg53

1:41 PM, Jul 01, 2008

If Stephenson or Stanback transferred here, the only way it wouldn't affect the scholarship situation is they would have to pay their own way the first year (like Morris) and then be eligible to be on scholarsip and play next year. This is the only scenario I can see that fit's Bob's rumor (transfer, pay their own way, then play next year)...

Posted by thinking

1:53 PM, Jul 02, 2008

What about a jc walk on

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

How to check air bag recalls; automakers beat mpg goal againnew
(Thinkstock) How to check air-bag recalls If you want to know whether your vehicle's air bags are subject to a recall, the website safercar.gov has li...