Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

June 26, 2008 11:07 PM

Record draft for Pac-10

As expected, it turned out to be a record NBA draft day for the Pac-10 as seven conference players were selected in the first round, breaking the previous high of five in 1995 and 1979.

Here's a list courtesy of ESPN.com.

The Pac-10 had by far the most of any conference. Of the other BCS conferences, the Big 12 had four, the Big East and Big 10 three each, the SEC two and the ACC one.

Also a record was the 12 total players selected, breaking the mark of 11 in 2001, the most since the NBA cut the draft to two rounds in 1989 (the all-time record is 18 in 1981 in what was then a 10-round draft --- only four players selected in the first two rounds, however).

JENNINGS' RESULTS NOT IN? --- Also of note tonight is the news out of Arizona that the test results for incoming Wildcats guard Brandon Jennings are not yet in. That's according to the Tucson Citizen and it refutes an earlier report from the East Valley Tribune that Jennings had failed to qualify. Sounds as if the jury is still out on this one.

Posted by Delusion's of Grandeur

11:38 PM, Jun 26, 2008

It seems like that the Cougar who predicted 3 WSU players (2 in the first round) was suffering from delusions of grandeur. It is so sad that the best WSU team in over 25 years could only yield one second round draft pick.

Posted by MLL

12:00 AM, Jun 27, 2008

I love how Bob brings a great statistic to us, showing how great the Pac-10 really was this year and some idiot has to comment with something having nothing at all to do with Bob's post. Typical Husky...can't wait to see Appleby and the supposed 15 lbs he's gained shoot those famous finger guns when he makes a three in the D-League

Great Draft day for the Pac-10 and freshmen, hopefully it will make a great NBA season next year.

Posted by Huskiebob

7:41 AM, Jun 27, 2008

The attorney for Brandon Jennings is the one commenting his standardized test scores are not in. Why is an attorney handling this? Where is the family? Taking payola? Shades of OJ Mayo and his high school and college annuity.

Posted by Ziasudra

7:43 AM, Jun 27, 2008

I think the term is, WSU has "Delusions of Adequacy."

Posted by sequimdawgbob

8:52 AM, Jun 27, 2008

Thanks Bob for the interesting article. Congrats to Weaver! He will be a good pro for years because of his athleticism, defensive skills, intelligence, and drive. I would be proud to congrat him no matter what school he attended. A very good all around ball player.

Go Huskies! Dentmon will be VERY good in his senior season.

Posted by MT Husky

10:23 AM, Jun 27, 2008

Sequimdawgbob, talk me into why Dentmon will be VERY good his senior season. Seriously, I want to believe.

The good I saw from Dentmon last season was someone who desperately wants to be great (I love that about him), someone who can be dangerous when his shot is on, someone who isn’t afraid to take the ‘big shot’ (which too often proved to be a detriment to the team), someone who can play good ‘on-the-ball’ defense and someone who can take it the hoop.

However, I also watched someone who makes poor decisions defensively away from the ball (playing too loose on his man or even losing him altogether), someone who makes poor decisions with the ball (taking shots he shouldn’t take and/or missing the wide open teammate) and someone who appears to struggle knowing when to take the shot and when not to.

Those are what concern me because they give the appearance of poor basketball intelligence and I don’t see how that can improve his senior year. If it were improving his jumper, or improving at free throws, or getting stronger, etc. I could see that improving…but can someone improve his court intelligence?

I don’t mean to bash Dentmon, I just have a difficult time seeing how he can be a contributor next season and would love for you to rebut my above criticisms…I would love to be thrilled when Dentmon came onto the floor rather than cringing.

Talk me into being excited about this kid.

Posted by mattysimone

10:55 AM, Jun 27, 2008

Dentmon Im not sold on....seems like a ok college player but may get lost a little in the mix next year with thomas and suggs...not to mention turner if he doesnt redshirt. Congrats to weaver...solid player but not sold on a long nba career.....maybe some european time in there after a few years. There is a reason why he didnt get that first round guaranteed contract. That being said I luv brock but I dont think he will have a long nba carreer either...maybe because of his work ethic but he is more of a madsen style player......good for brock though because he will earn a nice chunk of change for his hustle. Yeah someone did say the cougs would get three with cowgil goin in the first round and lowe lol haha

Posted by mattysimone

11:40 AM, Jun 27, 2008

I told you guys wroten was eyeballin the Ville!! siva is in his ear deep......camon romar time set up your new bedroom in his front yard......you dont land him and you just let kobe slip through you fingers!

Wroten Jr. Names Early Top Two
6/25/2008

In college basketball recruiting, it's never too early to take a look at guys as early as middle school. One year into high school, Garfield phenom Tony Wroten Jr. has accumulated offers from just about all over. At 6-5, 196 Wroten is a multi-purpose and multi-talented baller that will be more than ready once he hits the college court. Here's more...

Wroten, who's the son of former Husky football player, Tony Wroten Sr., is an extremely versatile athlete. In college he could play the one, two or three -- and odds are that he'll be one of the top players in the country -- possibly number one.

He could become the best player to come out the state of Washington, more that Jon Brockman, Marvin Williams, Martell Webster, Nate Robinson, and even Garfield alum, Brandon Roy -- that's just a few power names in the state's high school basketball annuls.

Realdawg.com caught up with Wroten this week for a quick update on his latest offers, and favorites.

"I have 5 offers now", Wroten reported, "Washington, UCLA, Tennessee, Penn State, and Maryland."

Wroten went on to name his top 2 schools, "Louisville and Maryland are my top 2", he said, "Right now Washington isn't in my top 5. They're in my top 10 though."

That's not very encouraging if you're a Husky fan, but Wroten says he's probably about 50-50 in his interest in Washington, "I've talked to Coach Romar and he's a good coach", Wroten said, "He's a nice guy and he's funny, but they're just not one of my top schools right now."

Bear in mind, it's way before early, and Wroten won't be making any decision until his senior year in high school so the Husky coaches have their work cut out for them.

Posted by patience

12:34 PM, Jun 27, 2008

Posted by mattysimone:

"Even Martell Webster didn't have the Huskies in his top 3 back when he was still a young lad in 9th grade, but he wound up signing with the Huskies in the end -- so things could definitely change with Wroten."

===================================

well, lets hope he plays more than martell did

Posted by MT Husky

12:54 PM, Jun 27, 2008

Funny patience.

Who among us didn't have different/varying/changing collegiate and occupational goals from our 9th grade to our 12th? A ton can change, I wouldn't be concerned. Just another reminder that the coming season will tell us a lot regarding Romar's coaching ability AND Huskies future. A few consecutive winning seasons and the UW program will look much more appealing to a young impressionable guy like Wroten.

Regarding my earlier Dentmon post (which I still would like to hear a well constructed argument supporting Dentmon, I want to be talked into believing he's due for a great season), it also doesn't surprise me one bit that Dentmon had those sensational games referenced by Bob previously. His natural game and style lends to having some high scoring ‘unstoppable’ offensive games - but what my criticisms above point out is that when it comes to necessary team defense and team-play he has proven inadequate.

Kind of like the Beasley/Rose arguments. Sure Beasley put up great individual numbers, but does he make a TEAM that much better? Questionable. Did Rose? Probable.

Huskies need to have the guys on the floor next season who make the TEAM better – defensively AND offensively. Will Dentmon be one of those guys? CAN Dentmon even be one of those guys?

Posted by Carlton

1:33 PM, Jun 27, 2008

Delusion's of Grandeur:

Interesting comment, let me guess, you have all the And 1 dvd’s and think Steve Nash sucks? WSU has won as a TEAM......and has been able to be over teams with much more talented individual players. What is sad is a UW (for example since) team with Brandon Roy, Spencer Hawes, and whoever their great players were last year all got swept by WSU in their respective seasons......and those WSU teams had just one NBA player. I’d much rather have a group of winners than a group of losers in a team sport.

Carlton

Posted by Carlton Jr

2:10 PM, Jun 27, 2008

"group of losers?" last time i checked our last losing record was barely that...... go back 2 seasons, oh my wsu cougars were "a group of losers" for the last 20 yrs....... so yah? 20 yrs vs 2-3 yrs... i'll take UW's 2-3yrs of mediocrity you moron. Back to the goodz next season. peace

Posted by Randy

2:22 PM, Jun 27, 2008

MT Husky,

I think Dentmon can have a good senior season because he won't be required to run the team and make decisions. Venoy Overton and Isaiah Thomas should play all the point. This will leave JD to move without the ball and play off the point which I think he is much better suited to doing.
I totally agree with you that when he tries to run the team and make decisions, the Huskies struggle. Just my perception.

Posted by Tom

3:34 PM, Jun 27, 2008

Brandon roy and hawes were never on the same team. Sorry Coug, check YOUR facts.

Posted by Nick

3:37 PM, Jun 27, 2008

That awful team with Roy that got swept by your cougs managed to do as well as your schools BEST season EVER by getting to the sweet 16. So if that team was as bad as you say, what does that say about your ultimate team ?

Posted by Randy

4:43 PM, Jun 27, 2008

Every time i start to worry about the Husky team this upcoming year I just pop over to youtube.com and run the vidoe on Scott Suggs. Makes me feel much better. Will he do all that for UW? How about just half of that.

Posted by Carlton

4:56 PM, Jun 27, 2008

The point was that good teams don't always need good players....and to say a team that had unexpected success is "sad" because they only had one draft pick is ignorant. I used UW just as an example because it fits. Roy was great and those other teams were just find. But if you go off Pac-10 record the last 2 seasons, the Husky are in fact losers. Also, if your going to go off single season perforance you could say WSU has had just as much success as UW and Gonzaga over the past 8 years. Be interesting to see how the next 8 seasons go.

Carlton

Posted by Carlton

5:00 PM, Jun 27, 2008

Nick,

I never said they were on the same team, I said in their respective seasons....again this isn't a Coug Husky battle, I was just making a point that individuals don't win ball games. But if you want to go Coug vs. Husky we have won the last 7, think about that all summer and fall.

Posted by naterob4

7:09 PM, Jun 27, 2008

Carlton..YOur a moron...If it wasn't for some phantom Tech call on B-Roy against Uconn and Mike Jensens complete stupidity, we would have crushed George mason and would of been in the Final four..Wazzu has TWO good years in the last 20 and now there a good Bball program..lets get REAL!!!

Posted by MLL

12:06 AM, Jun 28, 2008

Naterob,

It's ironic you call someone a moron but somehow cannot use your and you're in the correct context. spell check doesn't help bad grammar...

Posted by naterob4

2:03 PM, Jun 28, 2008

MLL...

It's called a blog...have you ever heard of just writing fast?? it's not the spelling or grammer part, its the substance..YOur..probably another Coug reject like carlton..theres a reason we turned down 8800 applicants this year, and a reason they all went to Wazzu...

A couple updates