Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

June 26, 2008 8:51 AM

Draft day arrives

What figures to be an historic NBA draft for the Pac-10 is finally at hand.

As I detailed last month, the Pac-10 has had as many as five players taken in the first round just twice --- 1995 and 1979.

But many mock drafts have five Pac-10 players being picked in the lottery, and as many as eight in the first round, further validating the strength of the conference last season.

Our NBA writer, Percy Allen, wrote about that topic today in a story that includes a few quotes from UW coach Lorenzo Romar. The link also includes a chart breaking down all of the prospective Pac-10 draftees.

Also today is this blog entry by our columnist, Jerry Brewer, debating various topics of today's draft with Michael Lee of the Washington Post.

Posted by Josh

9:05 AM, Jun 26, 2008

As a Husky, this is hard for me to say....

If the judge rules favorably today in Seattle v. Sonics, the Sonics should take Kyle Weaver with the 24th pick. If the team is going to OK then I hear there are some good young prospects, those that have had nice workouts and have been dubbed to have "upside," from the Euro Leagues availabe in the mid-20s to be drafted.

As for the 4th pick, that's tough. I say go big. Take Lopez or Love (trade down if appropriate).

Worry about a PG in the second round.

Posted by Mix

9:38 AM, Jun 26, 2008

I agree with you Josh,

I hate having Luke Ridnour on the team, because he's a Duck and because the Sonics have repeatedly passed over opportunities to add Huskies to the team (they didn't move up to get Brandon Roy, they need PG play but won't sign the top Assist man in the NBDL in Conroy).

But I don't hold any ill will against Weaver, he's a baller and a great defender that should stick in the league if he can find the right niche. The only change I would say, would be waiting until Round2 before selecting Weaver. I'd much rather have Ryan Anderson, Douglas-Roberts, Brandon Rush or a more well rounded player at that spot.

Bob, Any update on what Tim Morris is up to, I heard he was going to complete his degree at Stanford (smart choice), is he going to try playing anywhere? Maybe in Asia like Mike Jensen....

Posted by mattysimone

12:21 PM, Jun 26, 2008

is jensen in asia? i saw him sellin shoes at nordstorms a while back? Mbumunta or how ever you spell his name is a nice pick at 24 id say.....weaver is projected at like 35. I like the trade of wilcox and the 4th pick for the second pick...cant go wrong with rose or beasley. haha where are those coug fans that thought they would have 3 drafted and two in the 1st round!!! riiiiiiiiiight and the udub football team is gonna run the board this year!!!

Posted by MT Husky

1:06 PM, Jun 26, 2008

Bob, have you heard anything recently regarding MBA and the British Olympic Team? I thought I saw something about him being on the U20 team. Any insight on his playing/practice schedule and how it conflicts with the team July practices?

Posted by grant

3:42 PM, Jun 26, 2008

I spotted Presti at the USC game at Hec Ed last season. I think he wants Mayo (which makes sense with the report that the trade with LAC is held up for this reason). Maybe if I knew where the Sonics were playing in the future I might really care.

A couple updates