Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

June 18, 2008 2:28 PM

Lunardi has Huskies on bubble, more

Lots of new rankings out there now that the deadline to pull out of the NBA Draft has passed and people have a clearer idea what teams will look like this season. Here are a few of the more interesting links I've found.

--- First is the latest Bracketology from ESPN's Joe Lunardi, which includes four Pac-10 teams --- UCLA, USC, Arizona and Arizona State --- but not the Huskies. UW, apparently, is fifth in the conference in Lunardi's view as he has the Huskies as one of his "Last Four Out'' teams that are on the bubble.

--- Anthony Gimino of the Tucson Citizen breaks down the Pac-10 race and writes of the Huskies that they "could be ready for a return to the top half of the league even if the Huskies aren't anyone's idea of a primo contender.'' That's better than being a punching bag like Primo Carnera.

--- Jon Wilner sees long seasons ahead for Cal and Stanford in the wake of their losses, though he thinks the Bears will be the better of the two with a chance to get to 15-17 wins and sixth or seventh place (basically what I think now, as well).

--- FoxSports has an updated national top 25 with the Huskies listed as one of 15 additional teams to watch.

--- Andy Katz of ESPN also has a new top 25 but with no mention of UW.

All for now.

Posted by Dave " The Meatball" Armistead

4:52 PM, Jun 18, 2008

From previous thread:

12:11 PM, Jun 18, 2008

Randy- Again, well thought out post, but please, even you couldn't be serious by placing the Huskies as preseason #3. It looks like one of the experts believes the same thing as the meatball:

Lunardi has 4 Pac-10 teams getting in to next years big dance:
Arizona #2 Seed
UCLA #2 Seed
ASU # 5 Seed
USC # 8 Seed

(Take a peek who Lunardi has as the last 4 out! That means you guys will get a NIT invite rather than the CBI tourney! That is improvement!)

A #2 seed implies being ranked in the Nation's Top 10....not bad for a program that many media sources have jumped ship on. Come March, all will jump back on and make statments about "what a remarkable turnaround Arizona has had" and " Lute Olson seems completely re-energized"...problem is, we never really went away, just stepped briefly away from the National Spotlight.

UCLA's youth will lose a lot of close games next year, and the loss of Love, Mba , and Westbrook will be too much. Yes, they have great recruits coming in, but that's just it...they are unproven recruits.

My Cats return the most promise with the best SG/SF in Chase Budinger, and the Best Center in Jordan Hill. Couple in steady spark plug guard play by Nic Wise, and couple in untapped 5 Star Recruit Jamelle Horne with the new incoming players, I have to say we will be the favorite to win the Pac-10.

When it comes down to it, the core of Collison, and Ship does not compare to Budinger, Hill, and Wise. Yes the UCLA guys have Final 4 experience, but the return of Lute Olson and the new staff can off-set that lack of deep post season experience. It'll be interesting, no doubt, but I don't see more than 4 teams from the Pac-10 making the NCAA tourney. Sorry Husky fans, but that is reality.

Please think realisticly before catapulting your Husky team infront of other squads. That is all the Meatball asks.

Posted by Coug4Life

5:07 PM, Jun 18, 2008

Let's all hope the Pac-10 gets more than 4 teams into the dance. Whether it is the Huskies or someone else we need to consistently get the top half of our conference into the tourney.

Posted by mike

5:35 PM, Jun 18, 2008

Meatball, why do you write such lost posts? you always come across as an idiot by your second sentence, and i doubt anyone bothers to read your nonsensical ramblings much further past that point.

Posted by G

10:38 PM, Jun 18, 2008

who's posting on here? i just ignore him....

Posted by schmitty

12:57 PM, Jun 19, 2008

I will give Meatball a little credit...the last few posts of his that I have read aren't too bad and can pass as a legitimate discussion. However, I still don't understand why he gets off by bashing the Huskies and pumping up the Cats.

Meatball - speaking about your post, although I don't agree the Cats will be #1 in the PAC, you do present a good argument for your case. With Chase coming back and if Jennings does make it, I think top 3 is about right and a high seed likely.

As for the Dawgs, I don't think it is unrealistic to put them at #3 as you state. It may be optimistic, but not unrealistic. I don't see them being too far behind ASU and USC depending on how the team comes together, and I am not even sure how high I would put USC depending on what happens with them (i.e. DeRozan leaving or not getting in), I think I would put the Dawgs at 4 or 5 depending on how things shake out.

Posted by Dave " The Meatball" Armistead

1:59 PM, Jun 19, 2008

Schmitty- I think the highest aspirations for the Husky's should be to finish 5th in the Pac-10, but after it is all said and done I think 6th or 7th is more accurate to what will happen. This is late June, so all we are doing is making conjectures, and we'll know quite a bit more next January. Either way, it should be an exciting season, and that goes for the Huskies as well if Romar can find success with the quick players that he will have at his disposal. If UCLA's heralded recruiting class does not live up to expectations, than I see no reason my Cats can't return to dominance and win the Pac-10. I see us winning it outright whether they stuggle or not, but that's because I have seen things from Chase, Jordan, and Brandon that many haven't seen. It's gonna be great!

A couple updates