Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

June 13, 2008 2:27 PM

Friday links

A few links to send you into a (hopefully) sunny Seattle weekend:

--- The soon-to-be-twice-a-month Sporting News has this notebook with an item on the bottom on Husky commit C.J. Wilcox writing that Wilcox's meteoric rise proves that there "still is such a thing as a sleeper'' in recruiting.

--- One place where high school players cease being sleepers is the annual Rose City Showcase, which will be held this weekend in Portland. Many of the top players in the country will be there, including (reportedly) Avery Bradley, Abdul Gaddy and Peyton Siva. The Portland Oregonian also reports that among the players expected are Shawn Kemp Jr., who still has the Huskies listed among his college options, and Mike Moser of Grant High, also thought to be a top target of the Huskies. Moser is a 6-8 forward. Here's a look at some of the teams expected to be there. I'll try to pass along anything interesting I see coming out of the tournament (unfortunately I can't be there this year but it's an event I will try to get to one of these years).

--- Steve Rivera of the Tucson Citizen has this story saying that Chase Budinger is likely gone to the NBA. The deadline to pull out is Monday.

--- Cal's Ryan Anderson has the same decision to make, and tells the San Jose Mercury News he's as uncertain as ever about what he's going to do.

--- Speaking of Arizona, the Citizen also has this pretty frank Q-and-A with Lute Olson that seems to be drawing a lot of attention down there.

--- Jon Wilner has this review of the hiring of Johnny Dawkins at Stanford.

All for now.

Posted by Tha Dub

5:30 PM, Jun 13, 2008

thanks for all the awesome updates bomb, keep them coming.

Posted by naterob4

6:57 PM, Jun 13, 2008

I think its funny how Lute seems to blame everyone for everything that happened last year on anybody but himself...Letting Pastnor, and Simon go was a huge hit especially since there Uof A guys..I hear Pastnor leaving was a big reason that Gaddy de-committed...

Another funny thing is about Jennings we(UOFA) accepted him in, but its just a matter of the test scores?? duhhhhh!!!! why don't you think he's been cleared to play yet.

The Siver Fox is losing touch, I think it's time for Lute to ride off into the sunset, but I heard he took a big hit with that divorce, so he might need the coin!

Posted by Splash

11:00 PM, Jun 13, 2008

I think the Olsen situation is overblown. Yes, it's been weird with him taking time off without an explanation. Yes, there were some changes made on his coaching roster. How can you reasonably come to any conclusions based on so little information. If you judge Olsen by how many games his team wins, you can't say he's lost his touch because his team hasn't played a game yet. Acting strangely in public doesn't mean the man has lost the ability to win games.

Posted by patience

7:08 AM, Jun 14, 2008

listening to lute blame everybody except himself and rip negedu for not wanting to play for him is just more proof of what a selfish bum lute has become.

"I wanted him to have to sweat a little bit to understand that you make a commitment, you should be a person of your word. But in the end, there was no way in the world I would have had him here," Olson said.

of course,lutes failure to keep his commitments and his failure to be a person of his word is exactly why the mildcats are in such turmoil. its not negedu who is "sweating", its arizona fans who know it may take years to undo the damage lute has done and continues to do to the once proud program. further, what's the point? its not like lute's going to be around more than a couple of more years.

Posted by Ziasudra

8:35 AM, Jun 14, 2008

I've always felt the Lute was an excellent coach, who may have shortcomings, do we all. But, I thought the article was forthright, and gave Lute a forum, which he handled intelligently.
I'm sure Meatball is pleased with the article.
On the other hand, let's get back to Husky BB. Let's hope Romar is at the Showcase, and can snag a 5* or two - especially tall types.

Posted by Ryan

9:43 AM, Jun 14, 2008

I use Scout.com as my recruiting news site, and they've had Kemp Jr. listed as a 3 star. However, I noticed Rivals has him listed as a 5 star and #25 overall in the 2009 class. I REALLY hope Lorenzo's working on nabbing the next generation rain man!

Posted by old timer

10:28 AM, Jun 14, 2008

For me, U of A is the best example of the argument that signing guys who leave early for the NBA is disruptive & sort of like starting over again every year. I can't decide for sure & can't argue against top level talent but it sure looks that way at Arizona. Doesn't seem to bother UCLA much though. Still hope the Huskies sign all the 5 star players they can.

Posted by merseybeat

12:03 PM, Jun 14, 2008

cant wait to see a team compete next year
youngsters with some old dawgs

Brock with his 15 rebounds put in some quickness and flash

Posted by G

1:29 PM, Jun 14, 2008

yes old timer, as I POINTED OUT in various other posts, you dont want all the #1 top five star recruits as meatball (the idiot) was claiming. well, then again he also said budinger is staying so thats enough said. you need mid-tier recruits to build a successful program, thats what qpon and most of the others are (brockman's a stud at this level), but as pointed out before he didnt have a create-off th dribble go-to scorer. as pointed out we now have 2-3 ppl to fill that potention role.

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

Donate food for LeMay discount; tips to prep car for winternew
LeMay visitors can donate food to get a museum discount Throughout November, LeMay — America's Car Museum will offer a discount to those who don...