Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

June 5, 2008 9:11 AM

Thomas graduates, returns home

A quick note that Isaiah Thomas has completed all of his course work at South Kent School and went through graduation ceremonies over the weekend, which appears to have been the last thing he needed to do to become eligible to play at UW next season.

He is now back in Seattle and working out at UW.

BUDINGER GONE? --- Also this morning is one Andy Katz story UW fans might actually want to read, his Insider Blog today headlined "Budinger unlikely to return to Cats.''

Katz writes that "the assumption'' throughout the NBA and college basketball is that Budinger won't return next season. He also includes a few quotes from his father, Duncan, that Budinger is "100 percent'' committed at the moment to the NBA Draft.

Posted by Dave " The Meatball" Armistead

10:06 AM, Jun 05, 2008

Bob- Nice try at media manufacturing...nothing new in this article that hadn't been known from the last few weeks; obviously his father will state that this week Chase is 100% committed to the draft...how else is he going to get honest feedback?

As I keep harping, we will see in less than 2 weeks what Chase will do...

Posted by OlyDawg

10:07 AM, Jun 05, 2008

Now comes Meatballs retraction of his statement that Budinger isn't going to the draft, full of conditional statements that weren't mentioned the first time around.

"Chase isn't going to the draft....unless of course he's a lottery pick, or if Obama wins the democratic nomination, or if China has an earthquake, or...."

Posted by Randy

10:38 AM, Jun 05, 2008

Really, Meatball is correct. Chase and his dad will of course state that Chase is 100% committed to the draft. And of course he would be. Why else would he be out there doing this. Speculating is just that...speculation...until June 16.

Posted by Huskiebob

11:04 AM, Jun 05, 2008

Forget Chase. The Kid that deserves credit is Isaiah Thomas for taking care of the academic side of his life and now positioning himself for a bright future both in school and playing basketball. Congratulations Isaiah! Look forward to seeing you in P & G!

Posted by junkman

12:00 PM, Jun 05, 2008

Budinger will be a mediocre NBA player. The only thing he'll be able to do at the NBA level is be a jump shooter. Although he is a good passer, he can't create his own shot which is what separates the men from the boys in the NBA. Tack on his inablility to move his feet well enough to guard anyone, he will likely have a long and very average NBA career - and make millions and millions of dollars!

I can't wait to see VO and IT running together next year!!

Posted by Formerly Guest

12:09 PM, Jun 05, 2008

Junkman,

Ashamed to say that as I watched college hoops last yr, I was struck by how we would likely have won 7 more games if we had Budinger from UA, Hairston from UO, or someone like them who could realy create their own shot consistently.

I don't think Budinger will make a great pro, I think he has imperfections certainly, but a guy with his offensive skills at that spot really would have filled a big hole for us.

I know this gives "The Meatball" more information to gloat with, but so be it.

Posted by Heads I Win, Tails you Lose.

12:39 PM, Jun 05, 2008

OMFG meat u r such an ###hole,seriously you are a D.B. (i hope u know what that means). you already lost all of your credibility out the window, now ur manhood to? ouch man. just leave the blog veggiesquare. ur done. mince meat....LMAO thatz funny. loser.

Posted by patience

1:42 PM, Jun 05, 2008

yet ANOTHER arizona athlete walks out on "leave of absence" lute...

can't blame chase, who'd want to suit up coach "quitter"?

huskies are going to pound the mildcats twice next season!

Posted by Cougfan

1:56 PM, Jun 05, 2008

THe amusing part to the last couple of months on this blog is the venom thrown at "The Meatball" particualrly when he is usually right on in his analysis. Honestly, he is no different from MT Husky in his undying support of his team. No one, even "The" Great "Meatball", could have predicted the trainwreck that was UofA basketball this past season and carrying into the present. However, even with the trainwreck, UofA is still a better program than uofw's or WSU's. Sorry folks!

"The Meatball" has proven himself well-versed in college basketball elite. In fact, I cannot think of anyone on here that has more closely predicted the outcome of games, the standings, and the tournament selection than he. Obviously he did a poor job with the Cats this year, but he did say they would make the tourney and they did. I liken all the vitriol thrown at him and the predictions made about UofA BB to all of you that were so convinced that Tony Bennett was gone from WSU. I stated clearly more than once that he would be back and would stay for many years. But all of you know-it-alls kept pounding me for my "prediction" although none of you know how close or distant I am from Cougar BB or athetics in general.

I agree with many of you that Lute's program is in trouble. However, I would be careful about laughing in the face of UofA fans until it actually happens and until your team actually does something besides embarrassing themselves in the CBI. Realistically, that could be this next season. An NIT or NCAA bid is very possible for the huskies, but besides the nice little run Romar made his first couple of years, the huskies have been nothing to brag about.

TO attack an Arizona fan after they have had your number in FB, Basketball, Baseball, FP, and many other sports the last few years, I find that at the very least interesting, and realistically embarrassing.

I sometimes shake my head at "Meatball's" predictions and his characterizations of Romar, husky fans, and the like. I have made it a habit not to say bad things about the husky program or husky fans because I would like the discourse on the site to be civil--I am sure many of you are thinking because I have no friends, I live in my mother's basement, I work at McDonalds...yes all of the typically ridiculous stereotypes that many of you have to fall on.

But, I digress. I hope Budinger returns for another season, that UofA makes a deep run in the NCAA's, and that Arizona continues its rich BB tradition; It is good for the PX.

And Patience, the only highly respected PX coach I can think of who "quit" on their team in recent memory is Don James. At least Lute came back to face the consequences of his actions.

Posted by MeatballFan

2:33 PM, Jun 05, 2008

Meatball and Cougfan should kiss!

Posted by mikey

2:50 PM, Jun 05, 2008

congrats to IT! Its great to see a young man with commitment, and I think what we have seen from IT so far has been exactly that. He committed to us early, and in order to uphold that commitment he left home when he was, what, probably about 16 or so? Went to prep school, honed his skills, got his academics under control and is coming back to Seattle to play for us. I am really excited to finally get to see him play for us. Its been a long road. I hope the dawg pack and all fans next year give him a big round of applause when he sets foot on the BOA court.

Posted by MT Husky

3:10 PM, Jun 05, 2008

Cougfan, why are accusing me of undying support of the Huskies…and implying that I have delusions of grandeur similar to Meatball’s? I don’t get it.

But hey, on a separate note, wasn’t it nearly 30 years ago that another Isiah Thomas began his collegiate b-ball career? Hmmm…if I have my facts correct, after being an NIT team, with I.T. One as their freshman point guard the Hoosiers won the Big 10. When I.T. One was a sophomore, the Hoosiers went on to win the National Title.

You know? Sometimes history has a bizarre way of repeating itself.

Posted by Cougfan

4:19 PM, Jun 05, 2008

MT: It was actually a compliment!!!

Posted by naterob4

4:21 PM, Jun 05, 2008

Meatball...Brandon Jennings should call Isiah and get some tips on how to get a qualifying score on the SAT...looks like Jennings could be playnig in either the NBDL or oversees this year...

Go Dawgs!! The streak of seven in a row will end this year!!! can't wait to see Isiah break Mclovins ankles with that killer crossover, if you don't think so just check out the youtube clips, kinda like the way Venoy locked his a** down last year!!! And Deangelo Casto has nothing on Brockman..

Posted by TuBob Shakur

4:28 PM, Jun 05, 2008

Meatball:

You might ultimately be right that Chase will return to Arizona.

But I'm curious, what makes you think that scouts would only give "honest feedback" to a player who says that he's 100% committed to the draft? That doesn't make any sense to me. E.g., Nate Robinson wasn't 100% committed to the draft when he entered after his sophomore year. He nevertheless got some outstanding feedback.

Posted by Dave " The Meatball" Armistead

4:32 PM, Jun 05, 2008

Cougfan- Well stated my friend. I try to be civil as well, but when one questions the integrity of a guy like Lute Olson or chooses to bash him solely out of jealously, I can't turn the other cheek. I've tried, but unfortunatley I resort to their level.

We'll see June 16th how far I think my team will go next year. As far as Jennings, I would be beyond surprised that the NCAA doesn't allow the best player in the 2008 Highschool class enroll in college. I would be shocked.

Posted by Dave " The Meatball" Armistead

4:38 PM, Jun 05, 2008

TuBob Shakur- I'm not saying guys like Nate Robinson, Jason Gardner, Mustafa Shakur didn't get good feedback from the NBA when they tested the waters, I'm just saying that Chase does want to go to the NBA if he can move up like his father believes to a 7-10 Pick and wants every NBA exec to know that....I don't think he will move up that high this year, and many experts don't feel he will either, but all we have here is a father looking out for his son. I could see Chase being tempted to go at #15 if the Suns gurantee that they will pick him, but I don't really see any other situation that will keep him in the draft. If he returns, I think he will push himself next year and we will finally see that agressivness that has been lacking emerge. Next years draft is wide open and he could easily work himself into a Top 5 pick.

Posted by Husky19

5:38 PM, Jun 05, 2008

Meatball,

If Chase returned next year, I think you are correct in that we will see an incredible jump in his play -making ability. I always thought he was better then he played the last 2 years. He does have all the skills and also the intangibles that you can't coach.

Jennings is a longer shot to come back to AZ. He appears to be an absolute stud but that doesn't always translate into All Pac-10. Honestly the recent guards that really impressed me before entering college was Bayless and Holiday. I think Bayless will be a better pro then college player and Holiday will be All Pac-10 his freshman year.

For the Huskies I think the 2 players to watch are Suggs and Breashers.

Posted by G

6:51 PM, Jun 06, 2008

It should ALSO be pointed out we would have NOT gotten I.T. at all if the coach at INDIANA had not gotten fired. I.T. stated he would have gone there because thats where the original I.T. went, if not for the coaching switch. IN OTHER WORDS, we got lucky!!!! (even though i know meat doesn't consider him a top tier recruit).

A couple updates