Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

June 2, 2008 3:05 PM

Huskies get first 2009 commit

Two Salt Lake City newspapers are reporting that Washington has gotten a commitment from C.J. Wilcox, a 6-5 guard from Pleasant Grove, Utah. I have also confirmed this through an independent source.

Here's a report from the Deseret News and another from The Salt Lake Tribune.

And here is his prospect bio from Scout.com, which lists him as a two-star recruit.

Reports I have gotten are that Wilcox is a "very, very good shooter,'' and "long and fast'' and also a good student who won't have any of those kinds of issues.

Wilcox becomes the first member of UW's Class of 2009, when the Huskies could have up to four scholarships to fill. Indications I have gotten are that UW would still have room for Avery Bradley and Abdul Gaddy should either or both decide on the Huskies.

I'll have more on this a little later.

UPDATE --- Here's a video of Wilcox from YouTube.

Posted by Brandon

3:32 PM, Jun 02, 2008

wow do we really need another "guard" besides abdul and avery? i was really hoping we get a nice athletic forward along with avery/abdul.

Posted by Brandon

3:41 PM, Jun 02, 2008

Wait do we have 3 or 4 scholarships. If we have 4 then this could definately work out, we sign the 2 guards, Wilcox(seems like a SF based on his youtube video), and a center/forward. I just don't see how we could sign Abdul/Avery along with wilcox in a recruiting class, respecially after we signed 3 guards last year and 1 undersized powerforward. whats your guys' take?

Posted by MT Husky

3:52 PM, Jun 02, 2008

Brandon, from doing some googling it appears to me C.J. is very much a shooting guard, not a SF. Sounds like he's very dangerous from the 3-point line (came across more than one game where he had 6 or more 3's in limited time (sounds like he might battle getting in foul trouble).

He was also often 100% from the FT line.

I'd say he may be exactly what Romar was looking for, an athlete who can hit it from outside. Don't know a ton about Gaddy or Bradley but don't have the impression either is tremendous from deep. So maybe Romar has his shooter for the future.

Agreed that he needs to land some big guys though. Not much even on the radar though.

Posted by Splash

3:54 PM, Jun 02, 2008

There are some highlights of Wilcox on Youtube worth searching for. He looks to be a good athlete with a decent shooting touch. In the one highlight reel I watched, he was bigger than any of the other players on the floor, so his high school numbers are probably not a good indicator of his success in college. He seems to be a decent jump shooter, but it was hard to tell what kind of a defender he might be. I read a post on a Utah forum that said he could be a 1,2, or 3, but from what I saw, he clearly fits the mold of a 2. He definitely has potential.

Posted by raindawg

3:59 PM, Jun 02, 2008

very slight but he does show a desire to board. I could see him playing very productively in a 3 guard set.

Posted by Patton

4:11 PM, Jun 02, 2008

He seems to have great range, and good form on his shot. If he's 6'6 already maybe he'll have a late growth spurt and hit 6'8 or 6'9

Posted by Alex

4:17 PM, Jun 02, 2008

I don't know if scout.com just changed their rating or what, but Wilcox is now rated as a 3 star recruit.

Posted by no thx

5:10 PM, Jun 02, 2008

i'm surprised MOREof you guys dont understand that this is how ROMAR operates. give me a break..... 6-8 G's, 2-4F's and 1-2C's at any given time on his roster. He likes the 3 guard sets, so that is very smart and perfect. have 6 g's that are interchangeable is very smart in this NOW GUARD ORIENTED GAME

Posted by mo play

6:49 PM, Jun 02, 2008

I live in Utah and am a big huskies fan. I have seen this kid play 3 or 4 times and played pick-up with him. He is long and skinny. He will need to get a lot stronger to get off his shot at the college level. Dont know how much i love this signing. He is a good kid and has high potential, but i would think UW could get a kid that is more college ready. I would compare him to a poor Marcus Williams!

Posted by Ziasudra

7:51 PM, Jun 02, 2008

Back in the 60's UCLA (my team at the time) won it all with 5 starters 6'5" or less.

A couple updates