Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

June 2, 2008 8:57 PM

A few more thoughts on Wilcox

A few more notes and quotes on today's news regarding the commitment of C.J. Wilcox:

--- I know the first thought for many of you upon reading about this today is to think that this kills any chance at UW getting either or both of Abdul Gaddy and Avery Bradley of Bellarmine Prep. I'm told the Huskies are still recruiting them. But the Huskies also have to make plans in case those players don't end up at UW --- both still list lots of other schools and one person told me it's a longshot that both would end up with the Huskies. While Wilcox is a little under-the-radar, for all we know, he ends up being the better player down the road. Just because a recruit isn't local often means fans aren't as excited. But from what I can gather, the UW coaches consider Wilcox a real sleeper. He has a GPA in the 3.5 range so he's already good to go there, and I've also heard raves about his attitude and how he will fit in there, as well. Plus, he's touted as a deadly outside shooter, something a team can never have too much of.

--- One of you asked about his height, variously reported as 6-4 to 6-6. His father told me today that he's legitimately about 6-5-and-a-half but that he's still growing and could add another inch. That obviously could push him into being a player who could defend as a forward, adding a lot of versatility. His father said he thinks his son is a little bit of a late-bloomer physically, saying "I think his strength is now starting to catch up with his skill. Every year he keeps getting better and better.''

--- While his father attended BYU, he said the family is not LDS so there is no possibility of a mission that would delay or interrupt his career.

--- The Huskies got on Wilcox a few months ago after seeing him play in an AAU tournament in Houston. "That's where (UW assistant) coach (Jim) Shaw saw him and he was very intrigued by him and began following C.J. around just to see if is was for real,'' said Wilcox's father, Craig. "Then he got in touch with him and started the recruiting process.

--- The Huskies have added Montana to the schedule for next year but still need one more game to make it complete. That should happen in the next two weeks or so. They are still looking for something of a national opponent to play what would probably be a road game.

Posted by ill handle this bob

11:08 PM, Jun 02, 2008

i'm surprised MOREof you guys dont understand that this is how ROMAR operates. give me a break..... 6-8 G's, 2-4F's and 1-2C's at any given time on his roster. He likes the 3 guard sets, so that is very smart and perfect. have 6 g's that are interchangeable is very smart in this NOW GUARD ORIENTED GAME...... 2ND THING IS THAT U GUYS ARE FORGETTING THAT U DONT ALWAYS WANT THE #1 RECRUIT AT THAT POSITION. CALL ME CRAZY IF U WANT BUT WHY WOULD U WANT A WHOLE BUNCH OF PLAYERS WHO LEAVE AFTER 1 YEAR? WHY NOT GET SOME MID-TIER PLAYERS LIKE I.T. AND SUGGS AND BUILD A PROGRAM THAT IS CONSISTANTLY GOOD AND CAN ATTRACT BOTH TYPES. LIKE I SAID, U CANT BUILD A DECENT TEAM OR PROGRAM OFF JUST A BUNCH OF 1 YR GUYS..... PLUS THERE ARE SO MANY TOP PROGRAMS U CANT EXPECT TO GET THEM ALL ANYWAY. 200DIV 1 SCHOOLS? ++ MORE? COME ON GUYS . BE REAL. GOOD DECISION ROMAR

Posted by 2Tite4U FoSho

11:15 PM, Jun 02, 2008

FIRST FIRST FIRST FIRST FIRST FIRST FIRST FIRST FIRST FIRST FIRST FIRST

Posted by grant

12:00 AM, Jun 03, 2008

I like this signing. Gaddy and Bradley are far from locks, and we can't expect Romar to sit around doing nothing while they decide. This does not block them from coming still. The entire class can't be five star top 20 recruits. If Romar gets the Bellarmine Boys and a solid PF/C, then this class is money. If we don't end up with those two, Aaron Dotson from Beach would be a good local role player, Greg Smith and/or Shawn Kemp could be that big guy for the 09 class, there are options available.

Posted by Husky Fan in VA

7:10 AM, Jun 03, 2008

Come to the DC area so I can see these guys play -- think of the options: Georgetown, American, George Mason, Maryland, George Washington...

Posted by dawg53

7:50 AM, Jun 03, 2008

I like this kid - he'll be a great fit for the team. Question for you Bob - you talked about the possibility of 4 scholarships for 2009 - are you expecting attrition, or possibly someone leaving early? If not, I'm not sure how we fit four in (much less the four we took this year, giving us 14 scholarship players)...

Posted by OlyDawg

8:33 AM, Jun 03, 2008

Looks like a very good sleeper pick up to me. We desperately need some consistent outside shooting. Dentmon is either on fire or ice cold, and Overton isn't known as a legitimate threat from the outside. Our other well-touted outside shooters (Nelson for example) turned out to be busts. From the youtube clips I saw, this guy can leap, shoot, and defend with the best of them.

Welcome to the program C.J.!

Posted by UWHuskytSkeet

10:09 AM, Jun 03, 2008

In case anyone hasn't seen some of his highlights, here are some good clips.

I think this is a great pickup. I will never complain about a hard-working, smart, and determined recruit.

Welcome to the family!

Posted by Randy

10:14 AM, Jun 03, 2008

This guy looks incredible. I like the way the video show different skills. He can get up for the alley oop pass as well as take the ball to the hoop, and he can shoot from any range. Some 3 point shooters (like some we all know) can't take the ball to the hoop. Wilcox looks as much at home in close as he does at spot up shooting. And he seems to block shots quite well. That can lead to fouls but with the depth we are looking at right now we should be able to rotate numerous guards.

It would be interesting to see if C.J.'s stock goes up this next year. Will he be a 4 star or higher by next year? I would suspect his lack of AAU exposure is the reason for his low rating, not his skill set.

Posted by G

10:50 AM, Jun 03, 2008

thanks GRANT! i should have also said what you said, good points. all of you actually.

Posted by Scott

11:15 AM, Jun 03, 2008

This shouldn't impact Gaddy and Bradley's decision at all. All they need to do is prove they deserve the playing time, and from what I've seen, that will not be a problem.

CJ Wilcox is likely to be most impacted by having so many talented guards on the team. From what I've read though, I think he will fit in just fine.

Let's say the dynamic duo does come to UW. CJ will still get some time when UW needs to bust a zone or just to open up the inside game a bit when people pack it in. That type of shooting has a tendancy to change games just when you need it, ala Tre and Appleby.

Now let's say a few kids leave for the NBA early. CJ is now in a position to provide veteran leadership and will surely get on the court more and more. In the meantime, he gets a free education at a very good school. Sounds like he could probably get in on grades alone.

Welcome CJ, and hopefully Gaddy and Bradley will follow. I feel sorry for the bigs that would have to keep pace with this team if this all works out.

Posted by dblog

12:49 PM, Jun 03, 2008

Now if Romar can get Shaun Kemp's son who is 6-11 and growing to commit with CJ and the dynamic duo, I see Final Four baby!

Posted by Scott

4:00 PM, Jun 03, 2008

Please let it be known that I coined the term Dynamic Duo, which is now catching like wildfire.

Please don't tell Marvel Comics.

Posted by naterob4

6:23 PM, Jun 03, 2008

I liked the Highlights, looks like the kid has a sweet stroke, and can play a little D, but I think he needs to work on his handle. The one highlight were he had a steal and was all alone on his way to the hoop looks like he's slowing down to dribble, then dunk..but I guess he can use his SR. year to work on that. GO DAWGS!!!! Bow Down Pac-10 the Huskies are BACK!!!!

All we need now is Abdull and Avery...

Posted by Royal

1:59 AM, Jun 04, 2008

Watched the clips and read the articles. I Love the work ethic and he seems to be a good kid.
As for the short term future I do not think CJ will get much "burn" in the Pac-10. At least not for a couple of years.
I think this is part of the new process that Coach maybe going through. That being to recruit in a different fashion than previously.
Last season I think that having so many players of similar ability may have hurt the team. Only 5 can play at any one time and when you have 5 more on the bench that are nearly as good that can lead to problems. Especially when you are not an elite level team .

I can imagine Coach maybe going after 3 types of players; Stars, potential stars and team members. I suspect that CJ will ultimately be more the latter. Though I hope I am wrong.

Posted by mattysimone

7:48 AM, Jun 04, 2008

great pick up!!!! now we need bradley and kemp.......gaddy if hes not to good and wants to look around for another 6 months otherwise its your either in or in the way gaddy!!! the golden prise is two years out with josh smith.....that kid will cut down the nets as a freshman!!! when i watched him play in person i was in awe and he was just ranked 3rd by scout in the 2010 class

A couple updates