Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 24, 2008 8:17 PM

A little from Rip The Cut

Though it was a beautiful day in Seattle, I couldn't resist and headed indoors for a while to watch a little of the Rip The Cut Tournament today at Cleveland High School.

Besides, it may be the last time any of us around here will be able to see that many NBA players on the floor at once.

As happens in these tournaments, the rosters were ever-fluctuating and there was one big name I didn't know would be there who was --- Spencer Hawes.

Hawes played for the Home Team, which also included Brandon Roy, Jamal Crawford and Will Conroy (former Eastern Washington guard Alvin Snow was the other starter). Hard to believe that team won't win this thing, though they struggled for a while in the game I watched against a team that included no one I recognized before pulling away late (they led by 10 points with two minutes left before I had to leave and to be honest, the NBA guys looked like they were usually trying only about as hard as they needed to).

I talked with Conroy a little before the game and he said he's headed soon to a workout with Indiana having just gotten back from a workout in Orlando for multiple NBA teams. That's on top of the workout he just had with the Sonics.

Conroy said he has several offers to play on NBA summer league teams and is mulling over which one to accept.

"I'm just trying to find the best opportunity to make a team,'' he said.

He played last year in Italy but said this year he plans to stay in the States.

"It was an experience,'' he said. "And the money was good so I took it. But now I'm back trying to live my dream.''

Also spoke with Hawes for a little while. He's back in town for the summer, planning to attend summer school at UW as he said he intends to get his degree. He's got three years to go, he said, "so I'm just going to try to chip away at it.'' He said he doesn't know what he will major in, though he chuckled slightly when I suggested financial management (well, I thought it was kinda funny).

He said he weighs 240 pounds, and he ran the court well and had a couple nice passes --- taking lobs from Roy and Conroy had to elicit a little "what might have been'' from UW fans in attendance if maybe nature had either hurried up or slowed down just a little bit.

One of the early games featured a team that included former UW basketball player Jamie Booker and football player Anthony Kelley. Booker led a late rally to help his team win.

Booker was a fan favorite of the mid-90s Bob Bender teams with the bad timing to graduate the year before the team went to the Sweet 16. He's now 32 and after taking a year-and-a-half off to work locally managing a Bally's in Lynwood, he said he intends to again play overseas this season. He has played in Korea, Japan, Italy, England and Australia in his career.

"I've been all over the world,'' he said. "It's been good.''

If something overseas doesn't work out, however, he said he has approached UW coach Lorenzo Romar about attempting to work with Husky basketball team in hopes of beginning a second career.

"I'd like to get in something,'' he said. "Be the video man or something. I can't play basketball forever, right?''

Nate Robinson was also in attendance but didn't play, instead appearing to act as a coach for the team he helped organize. Word was Robinson was asked by the Knicks not to take part in such tournaments this summer.

Doug Wrenn was also supposed to be there, but I didn't see him and Tre Simmons is still playing in Israel and wasn't there.

The biggest name of all to play today might have been former Sonic Shawn Kemp.

Kemp played on a team alongside former Husky Eldridge Recasner, though he didn't show up until early in the second half. His team was trailing when he arrived but pulled ahead, then after blowing a late lead, won in overtime.

Kemp looked in decent shape though he didn't quite exhibit the Reign Man leaping ability of old. He had one nice coast-to-coast drive that included a between-the-legs dribble. But when he got the hoop, he laid the ball in rather than going for the dunk. I didn't talk to Kemp ---- he got mobbed quickly as the game ended by fans and autograph seekers --- but I think other reporters did so you may see something about him somewhere in the next few days.

The tournament continues through Monday --- the title game is at 3 p.m. I won't be able to attend any more sessions, but if anyone else goes and wants to post what happened, feel free to do so here.

Posted by LFPDawg

9:27 PM, May 24, 2008

Anyone know why it's called the 'Rip the Cut' tourney? Doesn't really sound basketball-ish... maybe the other big men on campus...

Posted by B

11:10 PM, May 24, 2008

Also, is the the same tournament that would go on at greenlake in the past? it was the same format with guys forming teams and all of these guys were there. Crawford, conroy, roy, simmons, nate, giles, Scalabrine, Etc.

Just curious or is that something that will happen later one?

11:14 AM, May 25, 2008

It's called "Rip The Cut'' because it's a memorial to former Garfield player Rahsaan Phillips, whose nickname was Rip and was noted for his hair-cutting skills.

This is different than the Green Lake tournament as it's actually been going on for 11 years, I think. I wrote about it last year, as well.

Posted by Johnny

5:56 PM, May 25, 2008

Oh WOW....you missed Nate get above the rim at least 3 times...The second day was just as good...only to see the Old Timers Shawn Kemp and Eldrige go home this morning....

Posted by MattySimone

9:00 AM, May 26, 2008

I went and saw rotory one yesterday play south sound......om my god wroten is just as sick as advertised, saw him do 3 pretty sick dunks. HE is a cant miss for udub. Josh smith on the other hand is a man child. he must have been 6-10 260 and hes still a sophmore. ITS PLAIN AND SIMPLE WHO EVER CAN LAND THOSE TWO AND KEEP SMTH FOR TWO YEARS TO PLAY ONE SEASON WITH WROTEN WILL WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!! if the dub cant land them then I see no point even having a program, they are that MUCH of a cant miss. maybe the two best players to ever come out of the state. I know I know thats some big shoes to fill but go watch them and you will see what Im talin about. Smith could be 7-1 300 by the time he hits college as we speak that kid is still in class in the 10th grade haha siva played also..looked solid but no different than overton so that made me feel better.

Posted by Johnny

11:39 PM, May 26, 2008

I heard that Wroten has verbally committed to Louisville...Patino is already talking about him and has made a couple of trips out to the NW. UDUB is going to settle for sloppy seconds forever....just accept it..

Oh yeah...Home Team won by 4 N8's Team...BROY was great!

Posted by DannyBoy

6:48 AM, May 27, 2008

Did Nate ever play or did Doug Wrenn ever show up>

Posted by Johnny

9:16 AM, May 27, 2008

Nate played 3 games on the final day and almost brought his team back to win the championship but fell short...

Posted by Ryan

6:42 PM, May 27, 2008

Who was Number 10 for Nate's team?

Nate complained to the ref after the first call and complained to the refs for three minutes after the game was over. Classic Nate and I loved it! Nate's team went on a huge 2nd half run and opened up a 16 point lead. BRoy strating taking it too the hoop and got a lot of and ones. Crawford hit threes and Conroy made his freethrows for Broy's team to top Nate. But who was #10 for Nates team???

Posted by townbizness

8:14 PM, May 27, 2008

Why in the Hell would Giles play for a team called Old School, and not the Beach team? This just goes to show where Giles's head is at, don't you think he should be getting ready for the draft?

I read on a online article that Wrotens favorite team to play in video games is UNC. If RO's even around long enough to see Smith and Wroten potentially come to UDUB that will be a miracle..

Does anyone know who Garfields coach is going to be this year anyway..They(Garfield) should of hired Donald Watts, that way D-Watts could help improve his game, and be in his ear about the Dawgs!!!!

I know he had some SAT problems but how did Ro let Rodney Stuckey get away??

Posted by townbizness

9:12 PM, May 27, 2008

Does anyone know if Abdul Gaddy played in the Tourney this weekend?? Rumor has it he's re-considering Zona and thinking about Memphis. Can't blame the Kid, coach Cal can put them into the NBA...Dajuan Wagner, John Carney, Sean Williams, CDR, and of course the crown jewel in D. Rose.

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

Donate food for LeMay discount; tips to prep car for winternew
LeMay visitors can donate food to get a museum discount Throughout November, LeMay — America's Car Museum will offer a discount to those who don...