Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 23, 2008 9:43 AM

Friday notes

A few notes for a rainy Friday morning. ....

--- As is being reported elsewhere (mainly, by Softy over at KJR-AM), I have also heard that Elston Turner Jr., has apparently crossed a final hurdle in becoming eligible for next season, but I was trying to get an official on-the-record confirmation and more clear details before passing it along. Since it's out there, I'll say that I heard yesterday that he was going to be eligible, something UW coach Lorenzo Romar has insisted all along.

Romar has said all along he expected all four freshmen to make it, and it now sounds like they all have. That obviously leaves the question of fitting 14 players into 13 available scholarships. I wish I could tell you how they are going to do that, but at the moment, I don't know for sure. I know some of you would like to hear the speculation of how they may get it done, but I don't really feel comfortable doing that on a public forum such as this. Trust me, when I have more certainty on how they may get it done, I'll pass that along.

--- Brian Dohn of the LA Daily News reports that Josh Shipp will return for his senior season at UCLA. He was one of four Bruins to put his name in for the NBA Draft. Sounds as if the Bruins might end up losing just two players --- Kevin Love and Russell Westbrook. Add J'mison Morgan and the rest of that recruiting class, and the Bruins suddenly loom as a Final Four favorite yet again.

--- Brooks Hatch of the Corvallis Gazette-Times has a lot of notes from a talk by new Beavers coach Craig Robinson on Thursday. Included is the news that the Beavers have signed a transfer from Indiana (though Hatch writes he doesn't know if that's simply the state or the school) and that North Carolina transfer Alex Stepheson is looking at Oregon State.

All for now.

Posted by MT Husky

11:15 AM, May 23, 2008

Bob,

By when does this scholarship issue need to be resolved? When classes begin next fall?

Obviously at some point in the coming months one of those 14 players is going to want to know who is going to pay his tuition bill. There must be a 'deadline' of some sort, right?

Posted by Randy

12:00 PM, May 23, 2008

MT Husky, this is a pure guess on my part as I don't have any factual knowledge of the rules but it would seem that this must be resolved prior to the official start of the basketball season.

Logically speaking, the University can issue as many scholorships as it wants. I believe the restriction is how many you are allowed to have on your roster. And since the roster wouldn't really be applicable until the season starts, I'm guessing they have until first practice.

Posted by GU fan in Arizona

1:45 PM, May 23, 2008

Bob,
I say this every month or so to you. I live in Phoenix and am a season ticket holder for GU. Why don't I go on the Spokesmanreview.com GU Blog for my Northwest basketball sports? Because it sucks....really bad. I so appreciate your work here. This is the best source for me to get PNW basketball info. I have turned on other fans to this site...even Cougars.
Thanks for the hard work. I check it every day and find you to be basketball educated, along with most of the posters here...most. By the way, whatever happened to Mallory and Geno?

Posted by Jim Basnight

1:50 PM, May 23, 2008

Maybe the player from Indiana that is transferring to OSU is Brandon McGee, who Washington looked at quite a bit. Here's a link on some of the stuff going on at Indiana. It looks as if it could be any number of guys.

Posted by MT Husky

2:13 PM, May 23, 2008

Apparently it is official regardig J'mison Morgan and UCLA.

Holy cow UCLA should be good next season. And aren't they struggling with too many scholarships? They're losing 2 players from last season and doesn't seem like they just keep adding more???

What are the chances Huskies can keep up the tradition of beating UCLA at home?

Posted by MT Husky

3:01 PM, May 23, 2008

I imagine I'm missing something, but my math calculates 18 players on the Bruins Roster. There was 16 last year.

???