Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 22, 2008 5:01 PM

A couple of quick notes

As the title says. ...

--- Elston Turner, the father of UW signee Elston Turner Jr., is interviewing to become the new head coach of the Phoenix Suns. Turner Jr., by the way, is expected to be eligible at UW for next fall though I think he hasn't officially crossed all bridges just yet.

--- UW assistant Paul Fortier has yet to interview for the head coaching job at Brown but is expected the first week of June. The search is expected to conclude by June 4.

--- Center J'mison Morgan, who originally signed with LSU before asking out of his LOI, is expected to announce tomorrow that he will sign with UCLA, which as said earlier, will make the Bruins that much more of a favorite in the conference.

--- I linked our college basketball notebook earlier today without mentioning the lead item --- that the WCC is considering going to a Thursday-Saturday schedule which could put a lot of their games on TV opposite the Pac-10 on FSN. You wonder if that's good or bad for the WCC? Were they better off having their own night on Monday when there was little other choice for college basketball fans? Or will they actually pull some viewers away from the Pac-10? Everytime TV talk comes up some fans grouse that the Pac-10 doesn't have a greater presence on ESPN. But it hasn't seemed to hurt UCLA from being a consistent Final Four team, or the rise of WSU in recent years, etc. It might be nice, but I have yet to hear a player say he didn't commit to a Pac-10 school because it's not on ESPN more.

--- Cal has released its schedule for next season, showing it will visit UW on Jan. 10 and host the Huskies on Feb. 5. UW is still waiting to complete a couple of non-conference games before releasing its schedule.

All for now.

Posted by pcbh16

5:55 PM, May 22, 2008

Being a Bellevue native who went to school in Kansas and has stayed there I have really enoyed Monday nights and the WCC. It often means I stay up until after midnight here, but it's worth it to basically get to watch every Gonzaga game. Every once in awhile I get UW games on Fox Sports, but since they have been so abysmal lately they often do not show any UW games anymore. I know the FSN deal is great for the PAC10, but it truly does hurt exposure outside of the coast. Which as you mentioned doesn't hurt their ability to be final four teams, but does increase east coast bias if you will.

Posted by OlyDawg

7:13 PM, May 22, 2008

A recruit might not say that he didn't go to a Pac-10 school because he never saw them on ESPN, but what is more likely is that a recruit wouldn't have a Pac-10 on his radar at all because he's never been exposed to them (say on the East Coast for example).

If you don't know what you're missing, how can you say you're missing it?

I have a friend from Tucson, who, when trying his best, saw at the most 2 UA games when he moved to Baltimore this year.

Posted by tom ross

5:45 AM, May 23, 2008

Bob, do you know exactly what Turner has left to do? This class is only four deep and losing one is not a pleasant idea to contemplate.

Posted by Randy

6:42 AM, May 23, 2008

Not to be argumentative but you could say this class is 5 deep since Darnell Gant red shirted last year so will technically be playing his freshman season this next year. And there is still the issue of being 1 player over the limit on scholorships.

Posted by Ziasudra

8:38 AM, May 23, 2008

The danger is if his father goes to Phoenix, maybe he'd want to play for ASU. It would be easy for him to get out of his LOI by just failing to become eligible.
Of course, that might solve the extra scholarship question. . . .
PS - thanks, Bob, for giving us something to think about since the M's ship sunk.

Posted by Dave " The Meatball" Armistead

9:06 AM, May 23, 2008

OlyDawg- Your friend simply has to either do a little homework with regards to sports bars in Baltimore or has to pony up with Dish Network or other Satelite feeds. I'm currently in Tucson, but have lived in the Midwest and East Coast and when I did I would call around to local sports bars to see who had the right TV package and watched all the games. The biggest probelm obviously is the time zones, as watching a 8:00PM PST Tip-Off game in Florida would usually keep me out until 1:30 AM or later.... this is not conducive to being married or having kids, but watching all the games is possible if he really cared.

9:27 AM, May 23, 2008

As far as I know, Turner is eligible. I know he recently took the SAT recently and supposedly got a passing score. But I was trying to get an on-the-record confirmation from someone before I passed it along on the blog. But I heard that yesterday afternoon, which is why I passed along on the blog that he is expected to be eligible. I know coaches heard he might have gotten it but were waiting for more official news, apparently. I'm trying to get a hold of Turner for an interview.

Posted by OlyDawg

9:49 AM, May 23, 2008

Meatball, that is exactly the point.

Unless you're making a point of it, recruits aren't going to have much exposure to Pac-10 basketball if they are West of the Rockies.

Also, my friend stopped making a point of finding bars to watch the game halfway through season, since he thought they stunk.

Posted by Chris in DC

9:49 AM, May 23, 2008

Living in Washington, DC the PAC 10 basketball on FOX are not always broadcast in this area, especially the Saturday games (many of which are tape delayed). ESPN might be a lot better for the national profile of the PAC 10. Sounds like a questionable move for the WCC, they'd be better off on a Fri/Sat TV schedule.

A couple updates