Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 16, 2008 11:26 AM

Siva to Louisville

What had long been rumored became fact today as Franklin High grad Peyton Siva committed to Louisville.

Franklin coach Jason Kerr confirmed Siva's commitment to the Times this morning.

"Obviously, we're excited for him,'' Kerr said. "I think he's pretty pleased to be able to put the whole recruiting process to bed.''

Siva earlier confirmed his commitment to the Louisville Courier-Journal and Scout.com.

Siva-to-Louisville has been the conventional wisdom for quite a while, so while the obvious question will be how this impacts UW's recruiting, I think most around the Husky program have suspected for some time this was where this was headed so I assume they've been planning accordingly.

Here's a list from Scout.com at the rest of the players reported to be targets of the Huskies. Siva is the first of the bunch to make his decision and that could start a domino effect now with others beginning to commit, as well.

Another thing to keep in mind is that news broke earlier this month that Isaiah Thomas now figures to be eligible, meaning the Huskies appear pretty set in the backcourt for the next few years with Venoy Overton, Justin Holiday, Scott Suggs and Elston Turner Jr., also there. That fivesome could be together as UW's backcourt for the next three years.

Posted by MT Husky

11:52 AM, May 16, 2008

Bob,

Thanks for that link to scout.com - extremely interesting information.

I really agreed with your last paragraph, very well stated and a good reminder.

Posted by toby

1:30 PM, May 16, 2008

Let's hope Overton/Holiday/Suggs/Turner/Thomas end up better than Dentmon/Perry/Oliver/Nelson/Sallie did.

Posted by just curious

1:39 PM, May 16, 2008

For a few years it's been said that if UW could keep the top talent at home they'd be good year in and year out. Just curious if people think Romar is doing a good job in state. I don't follow recruiting real closely but his classes seem to have more of a national flavor with some locals sprinkled in than big time local flavor.

Posted by Romarville86

2:14 PM, May 16, 2008

Romar is doing a great job recruiting and after a slip up in 05' (not drafting players that fit his system) he is back to getting players that fit his system. Avery Bradley was recently offered by UCLA but I think he will be a dawg.

Posted by Splash

2:25 PM, May 16, 2008

I think Romar has been doing about as good a job as he can with recruiting the local talent. Seattle has some of the most talented high school players in America, with realistic aspirations of making it to the NBA. Those types of players often choose to showcase their skills in front of a national audience, and let's face it: The UW Huskies are not on the national radar right now.

In order to nab the best talent regardless of they are in-state or not, the team needs to be a consistent winner, and get back to the NCAA tournament. In order to win, the huskies need to have a good group of talented players who have all played with each other for a while. Romar is doing a good job of recruiting the right type of player who will contribute to the long term success of the team. In another couple of years he'll be able to sign players like Webster and Hawes again, but right now those aren't the kind of players the Huskies are going to be able to get, nor are they the kind of player the huskies need.

This team needs to find its identity. I'm not talking about one player stepping up; I'm talking about playing together as a cohesive unit. I think having a star player can be a distraction to the process of team building. Once these players start playing better together, they will start to win. Once they start to win, the stars will come, and if that team-first mentality is retained, great things could happen.

Posted by SouthSoundDawg

2:48 PM, May 16, 2008

Amen toby, we are going to need those guys to step up in a big way and not flame out the way the other 4 did. Luckily, Overton and Thomas are natural ball handlers that is a quality Dentmon, Perrry, Oliver and Nelson just did not have. From what I hear, Suggs and Turner can also handle the rock as well as having a smooth jump shot and Breshers sounds like a Brockman junior with more of a shot blocking ability. I just have a good feeling about these kids. They may not be as highly rated as the 2004-05 classes but I think they fit the Romar style a lot better. I just hope we ditch the slow it up, half court offense crud and get back to the strong defense, rebound and transition game.

Romar now has to reel in Bradley. He can't strike out on all 3 of these guys. As good as Gaddy and Siva are, I have always thought that Bradley has the biggest upside. He is a natural scorer and is by far the best defender of the 3. He is very diverse in his game and can play anywhere from the 1 to the 3 positions. Heck in the state tourney, he guarded Casto and blocked a few of his shots. While Casto is not the most impressive player, he still had about 5 inches on Avery.

I don't want to sound like the "We didn't want him anyway" crowd, but I really think that Siva is the player out of the 3 that we could afford to lose. He is a great player, but IMO is an undersized 2 guard. He is not a true point but is not big enough to defend the 2. We are already going to have one or two of those guys on the team. That said, he will be a great scorer for the Ville. Pitino definitely pulled in a good one.

Posted by mattysimone

2:55 PM, May 16, 2008

I dont see bradley comin either....I think this next class...the 09 class will be no name players that he gets.....not many showing intrest in the Dub.....sad but true. Hopefully he picks the right blue collar guys. I happy with the bunch we have right now, but romar better start swingin for the fences to replace brock.

Posted by MT Husky

2:57 PM, May 16, 2008

Perfectly stated Splash and SouthSoundDawg.

Posted by MT Husky

3:01 PM, May 16, 2008

You called it on Siva a long time ago Matty, so your comment is disheartening. What do you know?

Posted by mattysimone

3:20 PM, May 16, 2008

MT-

I dont know anything, i just know what i see and read. This I know...I never saw bradley at a udub game and Ive never read a article where Bradley spoke highly on the Dub...and if ucla has offered him thats even worse. Ucla would be a hard school to say no......Location, exposure, TV, weather, coach and cmon last but not least......westwood/malibu/santa monica/ Bhills haha the GIRLS...these guys are 18 remember! haha Ive always said if I was a good hoopster i would have gone to dub or pepperdine, atleast at pepperdine on that grassy hill in malibu you could find a really rich girl if hoops didnt work out haha. Siva yes I did call that but when I saw him at tons of games and then all of a sudden he says Pitino and Lute where blowing him up, and then I dont see him at anymore games. That was pretty obvious. Im sure romar will find some gem player. He does have that great common ground of being in the NBA. hopefully that starts coming around with some of these kids that he played with there fathers. He needs o nab kemp jr

Posted by Romarville86

11:57 PM, May 16, 2008

A regular spectator at Husky games - often accompanied by Gaddy, Bradley has developed a significant rapport with the UW coaching staff and they’ve obviously made an impact on him.

“I talk to Coach (Jim) Shaw a lot at UW," he said. "He’s just a really nice guy, and tells me how I can improve on my game. I really like the UW coaches a lot."
scout.com arctile

Hope this helps matty. not trying to show you up but this I took a second and looked up his profile on scout and found this. He will be a dawg and is the best fit for the program because of his D.

Posted by old timer

10:11 AM, May 17, 2008

Not very many big guys being offered. Is this a slow year for the big guys?

Posted by mattysimone

7:09 PM, May 17, 2008

one sentence from scout and hes signing lol........i hope your right but I think its a long shot

Posted by Don't think so

7:39 AM, May 18, 2008

Isaiah Thomas may have finally barely met eligibility requirements to get in, but based on what I'm hearing, folks around the program aren't counting on him remaining eligible over the long haul. Expect LOTS of academic issues with him. They're planning accordingly...

Posted by mattysimone

9:56 AM, May 18, 2008

one season and ill be more than happy

Posted by jed

12:41 PM, May 18, 2008

Once at UW Isaiah Thomas should get a lot of assistance with his school work, e.g. tutors, etc. and academic staff hired by the UW athletic dept. to keep a close eye on his progress. This is standard practice at major Div.I programs and is as it should be considering the time they devote to athletics, travel, etc. for the University. I saw this first hand at Indiana U.

For all those who are bashing his academic progress often students from less privileged circumstances can get through high school and have the equivalent of a fifth grade educational level. At this moment there are thousands of these students graduating from public high schools throughout the city.

It does not mean he is not intelligent but many other social factors contribute to this. I give the prep school he attended a lot of credit because from the little I read they have worked hard to help correct his academic deficiencies and I suspect they have brought him a long way. Now its partly up to the athletic dept. to help ensure his continued progress so long as he continues to work hard. Maybe I'm naive but I think Romar is about more than just basketball

A couple updates