Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 16, 2008 1:41 PM

More on Siva

Here's our story on Peyton Siva's commitment today to Louisville.

You'll see that Siva said he simply wanted to leave town to attend college, which has been the rumblings from early on. He also said Terrence Williams helped make his decision to go to Louisville a lot easier, telling him that Louisville felt like a second home and that he's had a great experience there so far. Williams is a graduate of Rainier Beach High and also played for Seattle's Rotary Select team, as does Siva.

Also, as noted earlier, the recent news that Isaiah Thomas would become eligible probably helped push the process a bit --- might have been tricky fitting those two into the same backcourt.

The key in-state player to watch in this class now may be Avery Bradley, the 6-2 off-guard from Bellarmine Prep whose style would likely make him a better fit with Thomas and Venoy Overton.

Posted by Husky19

2:19 PM, May 16, 2008

You hate to lose any great in-state player, no matter if you have a bunch of guards on the team. It was nice that he went out of conference and not in the Pac-10. Like Marcus Williams (what a waste of a talented kid, leaving too early).

With that said, Bradley becomes a high priority. Also, I think Romar is doing an excellent job with the in-state guys.

Posted by mattysimone

3:02 PM, May 16, 2008

I love romar and the huskies but husky19 how can you say hes done a great job with the instate guys? hes done horrible! brock,isiah, hawes thats it!!!! all the others either werent big names or were out of state. hawes was a joke anyway and isiah hasnt even suited up yet. he has lost so many good players instate that its not even funny. I think hes doing a overall good job recruiting But at the same time not even close enough to par for the big name in state players. I know were not memphis, ucla,texas,nc or duke but cmon 2-3 out of how many in the last 5-6 years? 10-12? hopefully there are some more robinsons and roys to come....go dawgs!!! oh yeah and i dont see bradley comin here

Posted by MT Husky

3:27 PM, May 16, 2008

Matty, I tend to agree with most of your posts, but Iím surprised at your criticism of Romarís in-state recruiting success. Iíd be curious how realistic people's expecations are. So much of the criticism that I keep hearing regarding Romarís coaching & recruiting seems to stem from expecting comparable results to the NCAA powerhouses.

I donít get that. Placing expectations like that on Willingham and the football program is one thing, but to do it for basketball just is really unrealistic. I guarantee you that if Romar left that in 4 years the Lorenzo detractors would be lamenting the good olí Romarville days.

I'd be thrilled for UW to consistently compete with the powerhouses, but it ain't gonna happen, so staying in the real world I don't think a coach out there could do a finer job than Romar has done. I'm especially pleased with the last 2 recruiting classes.

Thanks Matty for your response on the earlier thread. I hope you're proven wrong on Bradley.

Posted by mattysimone

4:00 PM, May 16, 2008

Yeah I agree I think hes great, I think he has lost some luster with bone gone ad even more so if and when dollar leaves. I cant put all the blame on romar as dollar is just as responsible for recruiting. I know the dub is not a power house but to lose out on all the recent stars that will be in the league just frys me! If they dont land smith and wroten then we have a big problem. They are cant misses! webster and hawes and brockman were cant miss players and he got them all....webster maybe being the best and never got a shot. I would have love to have got terrance williams but when webster inked i think thats when we lost him and then we were left with you know what in our hand when he declared for the draft. I hope Im wrong on bradley too.....There will be some sleeper players that he lands im sure.

Posted by Chris

4:12 PM, May 16, 2008

Let's be clear. Louisville is not a basketball powerhouse. They are one of the top 20 programs in the country, but they haven't won a national title since '86, when they truly used to be one of the top 10 programs in the country.

They are a quality program, but it would nice to stop the bleeding to programs like Louisville.

As far as Romar on the recruiting front as a whole, I don't think his staff has shown that they are very good at talent evaluation. Let's remember that Bob Bender recruited in the last (only?) great local recruiting class that has been achieved at the school. This next year is going to be a telling one to see if Romar is truly a good judge of talent or not and if he can mold that talent into something cohesive.

Posted by MT Husky

4:29 PM, May 16, 2008

Thatís true Chris, although Louisville is closer to a powerhouse than UW is (even before Pitino) and when youíve got Pitino coaching youíve pretty much stepped into the powerhouse category.

Regarding talent evaluation, Iím not going to buy that Bender saw the talent others missed. He benefited from some local boys who were cool enough to want to do something special at home (which I blame the problem with losing kids like Siva more on that (the lack of any desire to do something special at your hometown school) than on Romar). Even the scouts underestimated (greatly) what Roy, Nate, and Conroy would be able to achieve (and would they have achieved that under Bender???).

I think the one thing we all agree on is the coming year will reveal a lot. If next seasonís team doesnít have better success than the past two years then I agree that maybe someone else could do better then Romar.

But as a few posts on the previous thread articulated, Romar HAS recruited some excellent talent the past two years and that will be proven on the hardwood next winter.

My bottom-line opinion is this, show me someone anywhere in the country who is coaching at a university that has NEVER developed a top-tier b-ball program who has done better than Romar. If you can name any, you wonít name very many.

UW is NOT even close to a powerhouse and due to history, location, and emphasis on the football program itís not going to become one.

Romar is landing high quality, high character kids who are good enough to give us realistic hopes of tourney and sometimes even sweet 16 appearances and reall it is unrealistic, unreasonable and unfair to ask for more than that.

Posted by 206er

4:31 PM, May 16, 2008

yea, i'm bummed that siva's gone but with thomas maybe the huskies weren't the best fit for him anyway. at tleast he's out of the pac 10 so no rivals got him. i suppose bradley's a good option. he sounds like a great player. we do have 2 shooting guards coming in this year so he might not have too many minutes early on. i'd still be excited to have him become a dawg though.

i think maybe they could use another veratile forard. anyone know anything about clarence trent? the kid from bainbridge who's been away at prep school. sounds like he might be worth checking out. or shawn kemp jr.

Posted by Husky19

4:57 PM, May 16, 2008

Mattysimone,

First of all you can't win all the in-state recruiting battles. Look at Siva, he wanted out of the state, can't blame Romar.

Here's a break down:

2002
Got: B Roy
Lost?
2003- bad year for Romar but only his 2nd year.
Got: Simmons to come home from JC
Lost: Appleby(came back home), Morrison, Ravio (both not highly rated), Brooks, Stewarts (they went to usc because Romar only offered 1 of the twins and they were upset).
2004
Got: None
Lost: Marvin Williams, Giles (Is this really a loss) Heytvelt, Pendergraft (does not fit Romar;s style) Burleson (not highly rated at all)
2005 - Very deep year, got top 2 players in state.
Got: Martell, Brockman, Wallace
Lost: Marcus Williams, Downs, Terence Williams, Mitch Johnson (not a good player)
2006 - Got #1 player in state, that is 2 years in a row that Romar got the #1 in-state player.
Got: Hawes
Lost: No one
2007
Got: Overton
Lost: McMillan
2008
Got: Thomas
Lost:McLaughlin, Casto
2009 - Hopefully he can land Bradley, Trent is an intriguing former in-state prospect.
Got: ?
Lost: Siva, Gaddy
2010 - Josh Smith looks like a beast and a MUST get for Romar.

Who he got: Roy, Simmons, Martell, Brockman, Wallace, Hawes, Overton, Thomas.

Significant Losses: Morrison (gonzaga), Brooks(oregon), Marvin Williams(unc), Giles(kansas), Marcus Williams(az), Terence Williams(lou), Micah Downs(kansas) Mclaughlin(wsu) and Castro(wsu).

Romar has done better in state then Gonzaga or Wsu over the last 7 years landing the most top tier Washington players of any other in-state program. He has lost his share of players to "outside" programs but that is to be expected. You can't sign em all! In 2005 there were about 5 top notch players and he landed 2 of the 5 and also got Artem probably #6.

Overall I have to say he has really improved in-state recruiting to the point I would say he is doing a great job. Unfortunately the class of 2009 is not really going his way with the loss of Siva and Gaddy(this one hurts because it is to a conference opponent) but there is still Bradley and maybe Clarence Trent.

He is doing as well for in-state recuiting as Ucla, Usc are doing in California and U of Arizona in Arizona and U of Oregon in Oregon and better then Wsu, Gonzaga, Stan, Cal, Asu and Ore St.

5:05 PM, May 16, 2008

Actually covering the Mariner game tonight, but wanted to jump in here and say this is great conversation by you guys ---- the kind of stuff that makes the blog worth doing. I think one thing to keep in mind is that you really can't just every everybody you want when it comes to basketball. There are only 13 scholarships, usually only 3-4 available at a time. And roles are so important, so much more so than football, except for QBs. Guys definitely know who else is on the roster, who else has committed, who they will have to compete with for playing time. Siva knew all about Thomas' situation, and while I think he was always leaning toward Louisville, I don't think it's completely a coincidence that he committed to them so soon after it was learned that Thomas will almost certainly be eligible at UW next year. That said, UW does figure to have four scholarships for next year, and the onus will be on the coaches to make good choices there since there will inevitably be a lot of comparisons to Siva and whoever they end up getting.

Posted by Formerly Guest

5:16 PM, May 16, 2008

Husky 19,
Nice breakdown.

Bob,
Thanks for piping in. How realistic do you think it is Bradley comes to UW?

Also, are we still keeping lines open with Abdul Gaddy? Any idea if he is really looking elsewhere then UA?

I have liked Lute Olson for many years, but liek the press in AZ I think he has finally gone truly crazy, and I would personally be hesitant to go there right now.

Romar likes to run, when he has the personnel. I have this fantasy of us getting back to that with guys like Gaddy.

Posted by Husky19

6:18 PM, May 16, 2008

No doubt losing Gaddy and Siva are HUGE. But the more I look the more I am beginning to REALLY like Bradley's game. Siva has the ball handling and Gaddy has the shooter's touch. But Bradley is good at both and is the best rebounder of the 3. Add that he has more upside as a defender then Siva and equal to Gaddy because of their athleticism and size. Bradley is a must get for Romar.

Also, I wish UW has one moer scholie to give Casto. You can never have too many 6'8" - 6'9" athletes on your team! Wsu got a good one.

Posted by SouthSoundDawg

6:28 PM, May 16, 2008

Husky19, very solid argument and I agree with your analysis of Zo's in state recruiting. I really don't think there is a high profile player in-state that he targeted that he did not land outside of Marvin Williams who was dead set on Carolina before Lorenzo was even hired. I don't recall Aaron Brooks recruitment that well but he may have been another. Other than that, in my opinion guys like Terrence Williams, Stewart twins, Marcus Williams, Downs, etc were all secondary options that Romar did not pursue as hard when he landed guys like Brockman, Hawes, Webster, Wallace and out of state guys like Nelson, Perry, Oliver and Pondexter.

Romar hasn't had a problem with landing his targets. I will concede that he has made mistakes in who he has made a priority in targeting though. Marcus Williams turned out to be a solid player but somewhat of a headcase/egomaniac (he went to the NBA way too early) and Aaron Brooks and TWilliams turned out to be very good players that we could have used. From following their recruiting at the time though, all were kids that had some attitude issues that probably benefited greatly from getting out of Seattle. In the end, I think Romar made quite a few of his decisions based on character/attitudes and for the most part he made good decisions. One player that I really feel like Romar dropped the ball on and we will see starting next year is Steven Gray but I think that should be considered more of an outstanding evaluation of talent by Few to steal him than a bad job by Romar. That kid is going to be great.

As for the 2009 class, I don't think Siva is a great loss since we already have similar players blocking him in Overton and Thomas, but Gaddy hurts some as he is a true point guard with excellent size for the position. At 6-2 already as a 16 year, he has great handles and a solid scoring ability. I am really hoping he is still open to other options than Arizona as has been rumored lately.

I really, really hope Romar can pull in Bradley though. The kid is a player that UW has been missing lately. He is a hybrid 1, 2, or 3 and can defend all 3 positions as well as score in multiple ways. He was so smooth in the state tourney this year, its almost too bad he has blown up so much and got everybodys attention. IMO, he definitely has the most upside of the 3 and could come in and start from day 1 at UW, which most likely would not be the case at all his other options. I haven't heard any interviews recently on who he is leaning towards, but the most recent I heard was a while back on Realdawg and he was very interested in UW and loved Romar and company.

On a side note, does anybody else have problems posting, I have to try up to 10 times typing in the stupid capthca letters to get on and sometimes it doesn't work at all and I know I am not entering the wrong letters. Very frustrating.

Posted by Seattle Dawg

7:02 PM, May 16, 2008

This is good stuff. I think one we failed to mention that would have been a good dawg is Steven Gray from Bainbridge now playing at Gonzaga.

Posted by mattysimone

8:06 PM, May 16, 2008

nice post SSD and 19........dont know much about gray..the only reason Im not livid about losing Gaddy and Siva is we do have a ton of guards and yeah gaddy has size but he has nothin on 6-7 Scott Suggs I think he and Isiah will be the real deal and hopefully bring us back to where smith and wroten wont even have to think about it. If we dont get bradley im still not upset....and I like i said before just because his profile says HIGH INTEREST for us mean nothing...so did siva and I think he had ruled us out long ago. Ive read nothing to prove that bradley is high on the dub and again ive never saw him at a game.......atleast with wroten both his parents went to the U

Posted by Jake in Idaho

8:44 PM, May 16, 2008

I was just skimming through the conversations and I noticed someone mentioned a need for a PF and then mentioned Clarence Trent out of Gig Harbor. I think the kid is a great raw talent but he may not be coachable. After watching him play at Gig Harbor, he just kinda does what he wants and doesn't understand the concept of team, he also didn't leave Gig Harbor on the best of terms, I believe there were some serious academic issues. That being said, he seems to be doing well in Nevada and hopefully he's getting the coaching and mentoring he needs to grow into a more mature person and player. Unless he has made major changes in his playing style and the man he is though I don't think he's what this team needs. He is a freak of an athlete though!

Posted by grant

12:28 AM, May 17, 2008

I'm pretty bummed about not getting Siva...but it's over, time to move on. Avery Bradley seems like a good fit, hopefully the rumors about him liking Romar, UW, etc. are true. He does add some length to the backcourt (which has been desperately low the last two years!). Believe me, I wanted Siva more than anybody, but imagine a 3 guard lineup of him Venoy and IT...opposing teams would just shoot over the top of us all day long with taller guards. We only get to play Tajuan Porter twice a year...

Time to find some more forwards/bigs. Obviously Smith will be a must down the road, but I hope Romar can find some solid contributors for the 09 class. The incoming 08 class is guard heavy, so I expect the next one to be the reverse and focus more on some big guys to replace Brockman and Wallace.

I know it always sucks to lose a local guy like Siva, especially one who is so highly rated, but I think IT is the better of the two. Remember how he carried Curtis and lit up state? And IT has been playing against tougher competition at prep school the past two years...he's only gotten better. Hopefully he proves me right on the court this year. Can't wait to watch the 08 class (how bad is it that we're all stressed about a player from 09 when the 08 class hasn't even gotten on campus yet?) hopefully they can play up-tempo again.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by Formerly Guest

9:38 AM, May 17, 2008

Regarding Aaron Brooks,

I think both Brooks and the UW felt they were pretty set at his position for years to come, so I don't think they recruited him very hard.

Posted by longball

3:30 PM, May 17, 2008

Gray commited to Gonzaga after attending a summer camp before his junior season --- Romar didn't have much of a chance to recruit him. Morrison was a GU ball boy and was a GU lock from the beginning. Ditto for Sean Mallon.

There are only so many roster spots for sub 6 foot guards and IT seems to have a much higher hoops skill level than Siva. Bradley has the size and versatility that work well in Romar's system. As we obsereved this past season, it is tough to play good defense when you have two less physcial guards on the court at the same time (Dent, Apples, Overton).

Romar is a recruiting quite well to the UW given the legacy of the hoops program. I am more concerned about the player development ---- players don't seem to be at a rate necessary to compete in the pac 10.

Posted by mattysimone

7:12 PM, May 17, 2008

dont forget suggs fellas......hes bradley but twice the player...cmon...he was mr show me state...look up those previous winners :)

Posted by Husky19

3:47 AM, May 18, 2008

I think Suggs will be the closest thing we have to another B Roy. Size, smooth, can score, played bigger position so has low post skills with guard ability and can play 1-4 positions at 6'7".

I also think Breashers will be a beast, a better Jamal Williams.

Bradley is needed for size, look at what a 6'3" Derrick Rose did to smaller guards like Collison (which I personally think is a over hyped player). Bradley is 6'2" and maybe he'll get another inch or 2.

Siva, while awesome wouldn't improve the "size"issue at PG and hopefully Overton and Isaiah can make us forget about Siva.

Don't know much about Gray but I'll definitely be watching now. Looks like a sleeper that slipped past UW and Romar.

I also want to see how Casto develops, another player in the Clarence Trent mode, big and athletic. Trent did seem to have some discipline issues so we'll see how he turns out,where ever he goes.

Also, let's hope for some NCCA Tourneys and then Smith and Wroten will follow! They look to be High Major type players.

Posted by mattysimone

7:37 AM, May 18, 2008

wroten was rated N0.1 freshman in country

Posted by UW Alum

4:09 PM, May 18, 2008

I enjoy reading the posts and here's my quick take. Romar does a "decent" job in state, we've gotten some good ones (based mainly off of back to back sweet 16 appearances) As for the frosh coming in, I'm not sure what kind of impact they will make. I hear Suggs this and IT that but I heard the same thing about Pondexter and Oliver and Nelson all of whom were more highly rated by the recruiting services. Pondexter is the only one left and I'm hoping that one day he figures out he's usually the most athletic player on the court and lives up to the hype, so far he's a bust. I would have liked to have Siva, I'd like to stockpile the local talent. If all of the guys that have been mentioned in previous posts had stayed and gone to the UW, we'd have made more than a few final fours by now. The talent in this state is great. If Avery Bradley, Josh Smith and Tony Wroten Jr. read this blog, stay and play here in front of your family and make the UW even better than it was with BRoy.

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

Land Rover LR4 lets you go off-road in stylenew
For 2014, Land Rover's venerable LR4 gets a slightly more fuel-efficient engine, cosmetic tweaks and a new four-wheel-drive system. What hasn't change...