Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 8, 2008 12:39 PM

Interesting Arizona, UCLA news

Lute Olson's return has far from stabilized matters at Arizona.

Instead, it seems to have only made things more chaotic, as Gary Parrish of Sportsline.com details. Along with the soap opera surrounding Olson's divorce proceedings, matters are just as messy on-court. Parrish says Chase Budinger is almost certain to be gone and that star recruit Brandon Jennings has some serious academic hurdles to leap to become eligible --- losing those two would almost certainly make Arizona a bottom-tier team heading into the season for the first time in 25 years.

And Arizona's coaching staff is also in upheaval as rising star assistant Josh Pastner appears headed to a similar position at Memphis.

Olson earlier jettisoned assistant Miles Simon, one of the stars of the 1997 NCAA title team, with Simon saying later he was given no explanation.

There's some thought that if Pastner goes to Memphis, he may take highly-touted recruit Abdul Gaddy of Bellarmine Prep with him --- Gaddy is rumored to be waffling on his commitment due in part to all the uncertainty in Tucson.

Gaddy is scheduled to take his official visit to Arizona this weekend but Arizona Daily Star columnist Greg Hansen wonders how that will go if there's no assistant there to ferry him around.

--- UCLA, meanwhile, could be the next destination for 6-10, 275-pound center J'Mison Morgan, who has signed with LSU but now wants out of that LOI after the firing of John Brady and hiring of former Stanford coach Trent Johnson. Here's another take on that story. UCLA already is welcoming in a four-man recruiting class considered by many the best in the nation.

Posted by Scott

1:48 PM, May 08, 2008

Any chance Gaddy would consider UW? It would be nice to get a big point guard to compliment Overton, Suggs and IT. They could have some really interesting 3 guard lineups if they wanted to go small

Gaddy, IT, Overton, QPon, MBA

or they could go big
Gaddy, Suggs, Qpon, MBA, Tyrees (sp)

From the article...
Perhaps Gaddy will proceed with a self-guided tour and leave a handwritten note for Olson.
"Dear Coach O, Loved the place. Sorry I missed you guys. See you in Seattle when you play the Huskies in 2010."

Posted by Cougfan

2:01 PM, May 08, 2008

OK Meatball, let's hear what you have to say!

Posted by Josh

2:04 PM, May 08, 2008

Note to Gaddy if he is considering dropping Arizona and going to Memphis: I attended both UW and the University of Memphis and can say without hesitation UW is the better school, both in academics and student environment.

As for location, if you are considering the surrounding areas, Seattle wins. But if you are just looking at the city of Seattle and the city of Memphis, it is a tight race. In the end, Seattle prevails.

Posted by jumper

3:01 PM, May 08, 2008

Are you crazy? The city of Memphis is horrible.

Posted by Kelley

3:11 PM, May 08, 2008

So is the "city" of Tucson

Posted by Dave " The Meatball" Armistead

3:17 PM, May 08, 2008

Okay, a quick rebuttal to dispel some of the above rumors. I had already read and checked up on the facts of Parish's article yesterday, and Jennings doesn't appear to have any real danger of not being eligible. His notion of Chase Budinger defintely going to the NBA is wrong as well. I had lunch with Chase 2 weeks ago, and rest assured he will be back in a Wildcat Uniform. He is smartly testing the waters to help develop some toughness to his game, and will return next season.

Okay, Bob Condotta can attest to this next statment, as he knows Greg Hansen personally. Greg has a twisted vendetta against the UofA Basketball program and is upset with Coach Olson because Olson refuses to speak to anyone at the AZ Star. The Star is basically a gossip column that harassed Lute during the length of his absence. All that Gaddy said was that his parents will be with him on the trip, and his AAU coach said that "he is currently confirming his committment to UofA for now". I will watch him Saturday and see how he interacts with all the UofA NBA Stars that he will be playing pick-up games with.

NEXT....Miles Simon was an inexperienced assistant that coached the UofA during a span that insiders/outsiders, fans, experts alike refer to as "5 years in decline." He was let go last week and replaced by a coach with much more experience. Doug Gotlieb, one of Miles Simon's best friends, writes a puff piece about his friend not understanding why he is fired. I guess no one wants to look at his 3 run-ins with the law since he has been an assistant coach for UofA. His replacement, Mike Dunlap of the Denver Nuggets, won 2 NCAA Division 2 National Championships as a college coach. He will provide stability and at the same time provide that necessary link to the NBA to continue to draw Elite HighSchool talent.

Josh Pastner is likely gone to Memphis and would be a loss in the sense that he was a tireless worker, but he also has been a main assistant during this 5 year struggling period. He might work tons of hours and get his fingers involved with many recruits, but the main reason is that he was always wearing a shirt with an Arizona Emblem on it. The players that he is most responsible for are Fendi Onobon, Nic Wise, Jawann McClellan, and Nedubi Ebi (went straight to the NBA). None of these players have been exceptional great, although I hope Onobon and Wise can prove otherwise. Gaddy still contends that he is coming to UofA to play for Lute, nothing has been mentioned about Pastners influence. If he were somehow to decommit (which he wont) and head to Memphis, Josh Pastner would be the last reason why he would do so. It would merely be a conicidence, but it will never happen.

When a Top Business is somewhat struggling and has gotten off the path of excellence that they are accustomed to, large scale changes need to be made. Nothing is different in what you are all seeing at Arizona. Lute is back, has hired 2 more qualifed assistants, has a Top 10 recruiting class coming in, and still has some scholarships to give and live up to his old nickname of MidNight Lute. The above links that Bob so nicely provided are an everyday thing for us in Tucson over the last 5 months. That's what happens when there is uncertainty surrounding one of the greatest basketball coaches in the history of the game.

I hope this information helps....

Posted by MT Husky

3:38 PM, May 08, 2008

You did the best job you've ever done of providing opportunity to see how credible you really are, Meatball.

If Budinger stays like you say, then I'll read your future comments with greater confidence.

If he goes, then you've just lost a lot of credibility.

I commend you for that. Almost as good as giving our real names on the blog boards like Cougfan suggested in the previous thread.

Posted by grant

5:23 PM, May 08, 2008

If Gaddy de-commits from AZ, then I hope Romar will get UW back in the mix for his services. He's not as good as Siva, but he's a local guy, and I think I speak for a lot of Husky fans here when I say we love to keep our local talent at UW.

That being said, sign Siva already!

Posted by zona zona

6:04 PM, May 08, 2008

oh no, I guess Meatball might lose some sleep since he'll be worrying about his credibility with MT Husky. Good to see Husky fans have kept that self righteous attitude despite being a joke in both football and basketball.

Posted by junkman

7:23 PM, May 08, 2008

So Meatball, are we getting another AU 2nd place prediction this coming year and 4 wins for the Dawgs? The only reason I remember it is because it was so ridiculous at the time...

MT, Meatball lost all credibility last year with his completely off-target prognostications.

Not sure if the Huskies have to be that much better this coming year to be competitive in what is looking like a watered down Pac10 - although with IT and Suggs we should be. And both these guys can shoot FTs to close out games.

Posted by mattysimone

8:16 PM, May 08, 2008

Meat already mad his prediction a few weeks ago....he said they would come in first. interesting if you do hit it on the head........I still dont doubt we get gaddy ...why udub over memphis? Id love to see him in purp and gold but thats a long shot, and like wise with siva. anyone going to the rotary select tourney memorial day weekend? should be a good one

Posted by Royal

9:20 PM, May 08, 2008

MT you are trying to find a way to to give that troll some creditably?

Thats plain silly

Posted by Randy

7:25 AM, May 09, 2008

Interesting article about J'Mison Morgan. Is it just me or does this guy's mother sound like a total *itch. After a meeting with Johnson she wants constant follow ups to fawn over her son about how much he's wanted?? She sound to me like a total manipulator who's dangling her son like a worm on a hook to see if she can catch the biggest fish. I'd say good riddance.

Posted by MT Husky

8:22 AM, May 09, 2008

Holy cow guys on this board are hilarious!
First I’m told that I’m self-righteous by the Zona fan, then I’m chastised by some Husky fans for crediting Meatball at all.

Wow, I think everyone is getting a little too grouchy…lighten up…we’ll never make it to November at this rate. We’re all on the same side…a bunch of college b-ball junkies who want to believe our programs are competitive.

So, with that said, here’s my take regarding Meatball.

Sure, he’s a terrible homer…but so what…in my book that’s the type of fan everyone should be, that’s what makes sports great! I’m sure not going to criticize him for that when I predict Huskies to finish 4th in the Pac-10 next season (I upped it from 5th, I’m virtually out of control).

And yes, he’s way too harsh on the Huskies…but so what…we’re only defensive when we’re afraid he’s right (I for one am confident he isn’t).

But, some guys really know what they’re talking about, while others know how to sound like they do but eventually you figure out they don’t. I’m not sure which category Meatball fits in. If he really is eating lunch with Budinger, then he does have some legit access to valuable information and truly can provide some accurate and interesting Pac-10 insight. If that is the situation – welcome to the board Meatball!

So if Budinger announces in a few weeks that he’s staying, then perhaps Meatball isn’t just blowing smoke with some of his supposed ‘inside info’ (if that is the case, then I would look forward to his comments and other info he provides in the coming months, I’m a confessed college b-ball junkie).

BUT, if Budinger leaves, then Meatball doesn’t have that inside info…and he is deceiving himself on the current state of the U of A b-ball program and any future claims he makes we’ll know are coming as a ‘homer’ and not an ‘insider’.

We’ll see…

Posted by Dave " The Meatball" Armistead

8:38 AM, May 09, 2008

Junkman- Are you too short sighted too see that last year with Lute taking a leave of absence everything was altered? I had changed my projections 3 weeks into the season. What a short memory you have.

Let me make it simple for you. As we currently stand, with Lute returing, these 2 new highly qualifed assistants, Chase coming back, and Jennings and company coming in, I PICK UOFA 1st in the PAC-10. Like some of you have noted, next year looks to be a watered down league, and with Jennings, Budinger, Hill, Wise, and Horne the Cats would easily have the best shot.

Now, if there are vast changes again like last year, my pre-season projection will certainly get altered. If Jennings somehow doesn't qualify academically, if Chase renegs on his return to the team, or if Lute takes another leave of absence then I will certainly pick my CATS to lose more games and finished somewhere around 5th or 6th in the Pac-10.

But for now, I am confident in my Pick for #1.

Posted by junkman

9:31 AM, May 09, 2008

Nice try Meatball, you made your predictions sometime around late January - I know the Huskies already had 3 Pac 10 wins when you said they would finish with 4 so Lute was way gone at that point. But it was before your little point guard whose name escapes me got hurt.

Like I've said before, I enjoy your comments regardless of whether or not I believe them - so keep them coming!

Posted by DrHoop

9:43 AM, May 09, 2008

The last two times I saw Lute coach up here in Seattle he was completely out of control. His constant running onto the floor to confront referees (twice while the game was going on) would have resulted in ejections if it was anyone else but Lute. Sadly he has become an embarassment to himself, his school, and his profession, he needs to retire.

Posted by OlyDawg

11:28 AM, May 09, 2008

As a former grad student and TA at UA, I would very surprised if Jennings doesn't make it in. The undergraduate requirements aren't tough at all. Otherwise, they wouldn't be the safety school for the SoCal kids who didn't make it into USC, UCLA, or Cal.

Meatball is right about the Daily Star being a bit of a joke around Tucson. I'll give him that much. We'll see about Buddinger though.

Posted by Ziasudra

12:40 PM, May 09, 2008

One question to zona zona - since our program is so bedraggled, as you say, why are you reading these posts? why are you posting here? Did they kick you off the zona papers? Does zona even have a paper? I guess that's four questions. . . .

Posted by MT Husky

8:19 PM, May 09, 2008

GIVE "Moreof the same" THE ROCK, BABY!

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

4 automakers invest in plants; Honda upgrades Fit bumpernew
Toyota plans to expand production of its Highlander SUV. (Toyota) 4 automakers reveal big plant changes A variety of automakers announced major moves ...