Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

May 5, 2008 3:56 PM

More on Isaiah Thomas

A reader passed along a good suggestion --- that now that Isaiah Thomas has passed his ACT and appears all but certain to become a Husky, it may be a good time to again look at him as a player.

So I'll provide a few links to stories we've written on him through the years that should help with your understanding of what Thomas may contribute to the Huskies:

--- Here's a good feature on Thomas written before the 2006 State Tournament, which turned out to be his last high school action in this state. At 5-9, Thomas has long drawn comparisons to Nate Robinson, and definitely will continue to now that he will follow in his footsteps in also becoming a Husky.

--- Here's a blog item on Thomas from last fall in which he discusses his relationship with current UW point guard Venoy Overton, among other things.

--- Here's the story from the day after Thomas committed to UW in 2006.

--- Here's the story from last fall when Thomas signed with UW including quotes from UW coach Lorenzo Romar on the entire class.

--- And finally, here's a story on Thomas shortly after he arrived at South Kent School, detailing the growing popularity of prep schools.

Posted by bentham

6:03 PM, May 05, 2008

hm... im beginning to understand why all these cougtrolls are so fearful

Posted by Huslythor

6:04 PM, May 05, 2008

Enjoy this Dawg fans, coming to an arena near you, winter 2009...........

Go dawgs!!!!!!!

Posted by MT Husky

8:13 AM, May 06, 2008

But wait...there's more...

Posted by Randy

10:41 AM, May 06, 2008

MT Husky & Huslythor, thanks for the great links. I don't like to put too much faith in freshmen but if these two are half of what we see, then to h.ll with all the Husky haters, this team will be in great shape.

How about a line up of:
Jon Brockman - PF
Matthew Bryan-Amaning - C/F
Quincy Pondexter - SF
Venoy Oveton/Isaiah Thomas - PG
Scott Suggs - SG

Pure dreaming of course, Thomas & Suggs may come in and be totally lost but there's something in the way Suggs comes across in the video that shows tremendous poise & confidence besides his clear ability. Here's to hoping!!

Oh BTW MT, I left another comment on the previous post regarding IT's rating in Scout.com. Overkill but an addition point of view.

Posted by MT Husky

1:58 PM, May 06, 2008

I saw that additional info, thanks Randy.

What I enjoyed from those Suggs clips are how ‘old-school’ he appears to be. Not flashy, but able to get to the basket consistently (a little Roy-esque) and even showed a classic Gervin-styled finger roll.

IT on the other hand brings a lot of flash and excitement. Really, they appear to be ideal compliments to one another and I can’t wait to see them on the floor together.

Regarding the line-up you presented - I think Romar is going to have the most difficult time he’s ever had putting the right guys on the floor. If these freshmen are able to meet (or surpass) expectations this has got to be the deepest Husky team ever.

I do like your line-up, but I’ll continue to tout Joel Smith as a starter. I just believe he’s got more in his arsenal than showed up last season. I don’t know what was wrong with him last year, he just never seemed to find his rhythm…but I’m optimistic that will change his senior year. When you look at this year’s roster I just really feel his 3-ball threat and ability to slash to the hoop will really be better utilized.

I also don’t think you can discount what Holiday can bring. Between the virus and injury last season he never had an opportunity to find his role and show what he can do. But I just wonder if he too will be earning some significant PT this season.
It seems the past 2 years Romar never had the guys who meshed as a team and was kind of stuck of just doing his best with what he had (and honestly did a poor job at that) – almost a band-aid approach if you will. But for the first time in 3 years he has the athleticism, talent, depth…and I’m hoping chemistry and fire that has been lacking.

One additional comment…if the above is true, that will take pressure off of Brockman who I felt tried to do too much, out of necessity. I’d like to think he can have the best season he’s had and feed off of the surrounding talent that he hasn’t enjoyed since his Freshman year.

Meathead and others can slam me for my foolish dreaming…but I just will be truly shocked if Hec-Ed isn’t rocking and rolling once again next winter.

Posted by MattySimone

8:35 PM, May 06, 2008

Te rest of the pac ten has no idea! Thomas and Suggs along with the 10 other guys will bring back the nate and brandon days.....Looks like Johnny B will get to go out with a smile :)

Posted by KallMeKrazy

7:42 AM, May 08, 2008

As my dad told me you guys, we're lucky to EVEN GET ONE YEAR WITH THOMAS+ BROCKMAN COMBO....would have been better to have two, they would have meshed and possibly given us a shot at the final four. Oh well, so much for what -if's lets just see what they can do this year. what we lacked last yr, FT shooting, which is solvable, and a creative scorer who can take someone one-on-one off the driblble.when we cant buy a bucket in games.... someone to turn to when no one else can make a hoop. THOMAS and possibly suggs fits the bill, although it was pointed out how unflashy suggs is. having the inside/outside threat will free up everyone else. i think because of that joel smith may play a bigge role this year, if he can make his 3's. (plus hes a senior, his time to shine).

A couple updates