Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

April 24, 2008 5:14 PM

Wallace on road to recovery

UW basketball coach Lorenzo Romar was a visitor to Washington's football practice today and spent a few minutes talking with reporters.

Maybe the most noteworthy thing he said is that Artem Wallace is now off crutches and beginning to walk on his own. Romar said at the moment the thought is that he could be ready for the start of the season, though he cautioned there are still a lot of hurdles to clear.

Wallace suffered a torn knee ligament in the season-ending CBI loss to Valparaiso.

Romar said no other players had health issues to deal with after the season.

Romar also said that center Matthew Bryan-Amaning could spend up to six weeks or so this summer trying out for the British national team (read details on that here). He said MBA's obligation for that team could last until mid-September --- like all college teams, UW won't start official practice for next season until Oct. 15.

Posted by 206er

5:43 PM, Apr 24, 2008

i think the try outs should be great for mba. playing against other talented players over the summer should be great for his personal development and help fill artem's spot if he's not ready to go in the fall.

i just checked dawgman and they say louisville has offered a scholarship to siva. he now has us listed as medium interest and them as high. i know many were expecting him to choose l'ville, but this still bums me out. i'm not sure what else is out there for 09. we've supposedly made offers to 3 shooting guards. we already have 2 coming in this year. i'd like them to snag a point guard and perhaps a big. the point guard selection looks thin so it should be interesting to see how this shakes out. always sad to see one of our own not choose the u dub

Posted by JayDee

8:22 PM, Apr 24, 2008

Artem looked good on saturday night. I actually played pong against him. He shot the ball the just like his free throws...horrible!!! He looked good though and had a good time. Im looking forward to seeing him on the floor next year.

Posted by Splash

9:07 PM, Apr 24, 2008

I'm sure Romar will find a PG in the 2009 class. The huskies don't need someone like Siva. Yes, it would be great to have an athlete of his caliber, but I've heard he thinks he's going to play one or two years in college and make the jump to the NBA. The PG in the 2009 class will most likely be Overton's backup for at least one if not two years, so losing Siva isn't a big deal. It would be better if Romar found someone comfortable in that backup position, waiting for their turn in the spotlight.

Posted by 206er

7:19 AM, Apr 25, 2008

yea, good points splash. after suffering 2 years with dentmon and appleby i think it's really important to have stellar guard play to win and i saw siva as being that option for the dawgs in 09 since they don't need a 2 guard.

Posted by MT Husky

1:42 PM, Apr 25, 2008

It seems foolish to ever think Huskies wouldn’t be better to land a 5* recruit, and if Siva did want to be a Husky that would thrill me. But, I do find it easy to see a couple reasons the glass as ½ full in this case.

1) The most fun players to root for are the ones who want to stay at home and be a part of building the program. Brandon Roy, Nate Robinson and Jon Brockman are obvious examples. But even Spencer Hawes stayed home even if it was only for a year, and Martell Webster would have if today’s rule was intact. Someone like Siva who has a great opportunity to help continue what guys like Roy and Brockman began but has no interest in doing so just amazes me. It just causes me to root for the current local guys all the more.

2) Speaking of current local guys…Siva coming in potentially could have disrupted the success of Overton. I’m a strong believer that Overton will become a proto-type great collegiate point guard (if not beyond) and will be a great team leader. Two years from now, this team needs to be ‘his’ team and I have to wonder if Siva coming would actually damage the chemistry and overall success of the team in 2 and 3 years.

Again, I don’t want to say Huskies are better off without Siva because he sounds like a great talent. But if he isn’t the type of guy who has loyalty and commitment like the aforementioned players, and because of the confidence I have in Overton…and I get to root for Venoy for FOUR years…well then, good luck at Louisville Siva…and good luck and thank you Venoy Overton!

Posted by MT Husky

2:14 PM, Apr 25, 2008

206er, what does dawgman say about Avery Bradley? That is the only other player I see that Huskies have made an offer to.

I'd love to see them land him. Local, athletic, lots of potential...another great player to watch and enjoy rooting for.

Posted by 206er

4:16 PM, Apr 25, 2008

i agree, they'll be fine without him, i think it would've been cool to get him though. i agree that overton could potentially be a great point guard that helps the team win big. bradley has everyone listed as medium interest i think. i'd worry that more shooting guards would overload that mosition with suggs and turner coming in this next year. bradley also sounds like a good pick up though

Posted by Scott

10:26 PM, Apr 25, 2008

Don't write off Siva yet. It's just a scout web site.

I really think UW needs him. THey have to keep the best in state talent.

Posted by mattysimone

10:42 PM, Apr 25, 2008

id bet the house that siva will go to louisville or AZ. no way hes coming here. he stopped attending husky games in like late December. Romar needs to land some sleepers this year

Posted by JoeBlogger

10:47 AM, Apr 26, 2008

While I think getting Siva would be awesome, I think it's important to consider height. If Siva did come to UW we would likely be trippling up PGs under 6'. That's Venoy and Siva at 5'11" and Thomas at 5'8". I worry a little bit as to whether such a line-up will succeed in a Pac-10 conference that is becoming increasingly more defensively-minded rather than the run-and-gun style of two years ago. I think we could agree that small size of Dentmon, Overton and Appleby had a bit to do with our poor 3-pt defense, meaning that size is going to be a more pertinent factor.

Posted by dan

8:33 PM, Apr 26, 2008

romar is inept. why would siva come here?

Posted by think first

4:11 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Joeblogger, pay attention the last couple years. Some pretty successful teams have run 3 guards. Yes they do have a tendency to struggle against longer, more athletic defensive guards. but it was also pointed out to me that in the collegiate game it is usually better to have quickness on the parameter (ie undersized players). So, no, i dont mind having 2 6ft guards starting IT, Venoy, and then another under 6ft guard coming off the bench to rotate in (JD). The OTHER teams im talking about? memphis this year, and villanova a few years back ran 3 guards at a time and killed people. anyone else im not thinking of?

Posted by JoeBlogger

9:25 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Hmmm, I don't know. I just checked out Memphis roster this year and I see one guy under 6'. But I don't think I'm judging the prospect of playing 3 guards at once, I'm thinking of how you fit the three I mention into the rotation without compromising length and defense. But at this point, I think you might just favor anyone with an immunity to the plague that is UW free-throw shooting.

A couple updates