Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

April 3, 2008 3:29 PM

Grier says no to Oregon State; Bone in picture?

According to FoxSports.com, Bill Grier has decided to turn down the Oregon State job.

The same report says Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett has also withdrawn from consideration for that job. Bennett appears to be angling for the Cal job.

All of which could mean the Beavers will now turn to former UW assistant Ken Bone, now the head coach at Portland State. This post from the Oregonian's John Canzano earlier in the day said Bone "would become a candidate'' if Grier said no, as has apparently happened.

Here's a bit more on the OSU situation from the Corvallis Gazette-Times.

Posted by GU fan in AZ

6:27 PM, Apr 03, 2008

Good job Billy! Loyalty still is around I guess.
And Bob...I found out about this from you Blog over the GU blog in the Spokesman. Good Job! Sad that I keep up on PNW sports via the Huskie Blog instead of the Spokesman!

Posted by Keith

7:29 PM, Apr 03, 2008

Bob, any word on Siva's recruitment, any other recruits or next year's schedule.

Posted by Josh

6:53 AM, Apr 04, 2008

What to say about Oregon State? They should have fired John two years ago, definitely after the 2006-2007 season, a move that not only ruined John and the OSU basketball program, but very likely some of their players. One question I have to ask is where would Giles be if the "savior" tag wasn't slapped on him? Maybe the same place, never reaching his potential and still a screw up. But had John been canned and there was no pressure or expectation to win...

Now the perception is that OSU can't find a coach. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes but it appears Grier was their first choice. He turning them down isn't necessarily a bad thing. Isn't this just his first year as a head coach? Has he really proven that he can handle the rebuilding job at OSU? Based on the talent at Gonzaga, I'll assume he's a good recruiter. Based on Gonzaga's success and the great season USD just finished, I'll assume he's a good coach. Therefore, he's a good candidate, but, the differences between the jobs are immense.

First, Grier has only spent time at small religious schools in a small conference (or as the media likes to say "Mid-Majors") and, as noted, only one season as a head coach. He has not coached at a large state institution in a large conference. Second, OSU is in shambles. GU has been a really good basketball team for quite some time (where I believe he coached for 16 seasons). USD was also no slouch. I believe they won 18 games in the 2006-2007 season, the year before Grier arrived. Thus, Grier has not had to deal with rebuilding or any of the issues that comes with it. I'm not saying he would fail, I'm just saying OSU is a huge challenge in many respects and it doesn't appear Grier has had to deal/coach/recruit/etc. under these conditions.

I think he made the right choice not to leave USD. I also think OSU made the wrong choice in offering him a job.

OSU should offer the job to Ken Bone. I believe Bone has indicated he would be interested. This is big as a big name coach or a coach in a good situation (i.e., Grier) will not want deal with 0-19. Bone spent 12 years as a head coach at Seattle Pacific where he was highly successful. He then spent three years at UW, another big state institution in a big conference. And now, three years at Portland State. Like Grier, Bone came to a good situation at PSU. But, when he came to UW, the Huskies were...not so good. His first season as an assistant at UW they went 10-17. He knows what it takes to rebuild in the Pac-10. He's familiar with the Northwest and, specifically, has been in Oregon for the past three years. And has been highly successful as a head coach.

To Oregon State University: HIRE KEN BONE.

Posted by GU fan in AZ

10:37 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Josh...
You verbalized my thoughts exactly. I agree with your assessment on Grier moving to the huge PAC 10 school that's at their witts end. I bet Grier is treated like a god at USD now. I mean, he went in to Rupp arena (I know...it's not the UK teams of old, but it's still RUPP), and won. He then took UCONNin the 1st round. He laid a smack down on GU in the WCC championship game.
He's in San Diego. To me, one of the most beautiful cities in the country and probably loved by the college community.
Good job Billy for staying!

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

New 3-wheelers merge fun and safety new
Children who begin their vehicular life on tricycles typically migrate to two-wheelers by the time they start kindergarten, eventually graduating to f...