Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 26, 2008 9:31 PM

Dollar candidate at Sacramento State?

Several recent newspaper reports in the Sacramento area have listed Husky assistant Cameron Dollar as a candidate for the vacant head coaching position at Sacramento State, and a source said tonight that he is still in the running for the job and may soon interview.

Sacramento State is a member of the Big Sky Conference and fired Jerome Jenkins earlier this month after he compiled an 80-147 record in eight seasons.

Here's a recent story from the Sacramento Bee that mentions Dollar and also talks about the financial challenges the school faces in putting together a competitive program (the story also mentions UW assistant Jim Shaw as a possible candidate but he isn't thought to be involved any longer)

Also apparently a serious candidate is Brian Katz, head coach at Delta JC in nearby Stockton, as detailed in this story.

Dollar has been a candidate for several jobs in recent seasons, most seriously last year at Long Beach State when he was one of three finalists for that job before the school hired former Gonzaga coach Dan Monson.

The 32-year-old Dollar has been an assistant at UW for all six years of the Lorenzo Romar regime, and was also an assistant for Romar at Saint Louis. He has a lot of ties to California, having played at UCLA and worked as an assistant at UC-Irvine and head coach at Southern California College, an NAIA school.

Posted by Beebop

4:47 AM, Mar 27, 2008

***********FIRST**************

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

6:33 AM, Mar 27, 2008

I hope Dollar doesn't leave. Losing Bone and Dollar would be really tough. Stay Cameron, and give him a pay raise!

Posted by TuBob Shakur

8:53 AM, Mar 27, 2008

A few weeks ago, I also heard that Dollar is in line to replace Coach Sutton at USF. Does that rumor have any legs? Anyone heard?

It's a tribute to Coach Romar that his assistants are often considered for solid D-1 coaching vacancies. And Coach Dollar has done his penance after Heytvelt-Gate, and he deserves a shot. If he leaves, I just hope that Coach Romar does a better job of replacing him than he did with Coach Bone. Although I think people give Bone far too much credit for our successes (and conveniently forget that he was on the sidelines when we were shaky in 2002 and 2003, and that his tournament team lost to UW this year), it's pretty clear that Fortier was a less-than-stellar replacement.

Posted by Dave

9:08 AM, Mar 27, 2008

Why, TuBob? (I am being serious, I just don't know enough about the situation)

Posted by Carlton

11:55 AM, Mar 27, 2008

Bob,

Who cares about field goal %, last time I checked it was the team with the most points who won, and the Cougs have one of the lowest points per game defenses in the country.....plus, as an FYI to you stat boy-the Cougs have the 3rd best defensive eff. rating in the country. There is a stat for everything.

Posted by TuBob Shakur

12:48 PM, Mar 27, 2008

Dave: Sorry, I don't understand your question. Why what?

Posted by onceadawgfan

12:49 PM, Mar 27, 2008

Wish Cameron Dollar luck in his pursuit of a head coaching position. His departure will be a plus for Husky basketball.

Posted by Dave

10:00 AM, Mar 28, 2008

I meant "why are you saying Fortier is bad?" sincerely interested in your answer, since I don't know much about basketball coaching

Posted by TuBob Shakur

1:18 PM, Mar 28, 2008

Dave:

Thanks for clarifying. I'm not in a position to comment about what Fortier brings to the table at practice. He might be really helpful there. But I know for a fact that Bone was active on the sidelines during games, and was helpful with making in-game adjustments. In contrast, just watch Fortier during games. He's about as much of a "spectator" as the other 10,000 fans. He doesn't interact much with Coach Romar at all during the games, and during time outs, he's typically at the back of the huddle with the redshirts and injured players, just looking at the stat sheet.

So, I wouldn't go so far as to say that Fortier is a "bad" assistant, because I'm not in a position to evaluate his contributions as a whole. But I do feel really comfortable saying that he's a step down from Bone, because Bone was obviously helpful during games -- whereas I think it's pretty obvious that Fortier isn't helpful during games. Hope that clarifies my comments.

2:40 PM, Mar 28, 2008

TuBob --- One thing I can maybe add to your discussion there is that the Huskies split up scouting assigments among each of the assistants, as is typical of every team. So each assistant gets assigned three Pac-10 teams during the season (Cameron Dollar has usually had UCLA, Fortier I know had Oregon State this year, etc.). The assistant who is in charge of putting together the scouting report for that particular opponent tends to be the one who is most animated during any game (or the practice leading into that game). So there times you see one assistant look a lot more involved than the other two and the next game it's another one, etc.

Posted by robertroll

3:17 PM, Mar 28, 2008

If we lose Dollar look at this as a opportunity to get someone who knows something about defense...

A couple updates