Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 25, 2008 9:19 AM

Tuesday morning links

A few stories to pass your away today:

--- There are only four Pac-10 teams still playing in any kind of tournament after Cal lost at Ohio State last night in the NIT. But despite another disappointing season for the Bears it is expected that Ben Braun will be back for another season as coach, according to Jon Wilner, who provides a good analysis of the situation in Berkeley.

--- One of the four left is Arizona State which plays Florida tonight for a chance to get to the semi-finals of the NIT.

--- The Corvallis Gazette-Times provides its wrapup of Oregon State's season with the appropriate headline "Train wreck is over.''

--- Here's a good overview from the Oregonian of where Oregon goes from here, with lots of thoughts that the Ducks never really found an identity this season.

--- Ken Pomeroy rates the Pac-10 as the best conference in the country through games of Monday. He also rates UW 51st and says the Huskies played the No. 16 toughest schedule in the country both overall and out-of-conference.

--- Pomeory also picks North Carolina to beat WSU 71-69.

--- Bud Withers of our staff breaks down the WSU-North Carolina matchup.

--- Here's more on Valpo's drubbing last night at the hands of Houston.

--- Finally, I thought last night I'd dig up a Sweet 16 projection I wrote for the Times' college basketball section last November to see how I did. I got nine right, and many are obvious lay-ups --- UCLA, North Carolina, Memphis, etc. But I'm happy to take some credit for No. 16 on the list.

Posted by bignick

10:43 AM, Mar 25, 2008

I'll give you credit for pretty much nailing the situation at IU too.

With spot on predictions like that you should open up your own psychic hotline!

Posted by 206er

10:52 AM, Mar 25, 2008

thanks bob!

i'm curious. has anyone heard anything on the recruiting front? it seems that coach romar could use this extra time due to the unfortunate end to our season to communicate with peyton siva. i'd also like to see another forward to the 09 class. the 08 class is so heavy with guards if we focus on siva, bradley and perhaps that snaer kid, we should be good. i'm not sure about the contact rules, but it seems like this is a good time to communicate with guys who are also being recruited by ucla, stanfor and wazoo.

Posted by "medina tyee" c'mon

12:01 PM, Mar 25, 2008

Hey "medina tyee"...
It's so obvious that:
1) you are not a tyee,
2) you are not a Husky fan, and
3) you don't live in Medina/aren't wealthy like you to try to pretend
Just give up the act, okay? It's really dumb. You're not rich (not that it matters), you're not a Husky fan, and you're certainly not a Tyee. You're clearly a duck or a coug trying to pull off an act.
As obnoxious as cougfan, coug4life, Geno and company are, they at least have the nuts to admit they're not Husky fans.
So quit being an idiot and go away.

Posted by Coug4Life

12:22 PM, Mar 25, 2008

Did all you Huskies notice that Bennett credited your guys with preparing us for Notre Dame. He gave you a lot more respect than you deserve, saying that playing Brockman and Appleby got us ready for playing Harangody and McAlarney because they are such similar players. I can almost buy the JB/LH comparison but comparing AppleTurnover to McAlarney is going way too far. Anyways, thanks for being the exceptional practice players you are...we appreciate you pushing us to get better.

Posted by Bob Vance-Vance Refrigeration

12:25 PM, Mar 25, 2008

What was the situation at IU mentioned above?

Posted by mukdawg

1:11 PM, Mar 25, 2008

Actually, Bob, you shouldn't be faulted for losing out on Gonzaga/Georgetown either. They were all bracketed with Davidson (and only one of those could go). Nor should be faulted for Texas A&M (bracketed against UCLA). You should get half points for them. Only Oregon, Marquette, Indiana and Duke lost to teams that you didn't have slated for the sweet 16 so you missed out on them. I give you 10.5 points! The true measure is how many sweet 16 teams you got after the brackets were announced. So, how many did you get? Were you better in November or March?

Posted by LA Husky

1:15 PM, Mar 25, 2008

I did hear that, Coug4life, thanks for mentioning again. Did anyone hear the props Kevin Love gave Brockman and Wallace after the A&M game?

I for one am rooting for the Cougs and I think any reasonable Husky fan out there is rooting for them too, if for no other reason than they have "Washington" in their name.

Posted by G

1:41 PM, Mar 25, 2008

correct LA HUSKY, thats the only reason i am rooting for them now. AND actualy i'm rooting for the whole west coast. lets have 3 west coast teams in the final four, show those east coast bias losers why ASU should have been in the tourney over a bunch of jokes (Not villanova, 8th in the big east). But i'm sure there are some teams that ASU should have got in over since they DOMINATED the first two teams they played in the NIT. in my bracket for the NCAA I HAVE UCLA VS. STANFORD in the final FOUR, so we'll see!

3:25 PM, Mar 25, 2008

MukDawg --- I actually have 12 of the final 16 on my pre-tourney bracket --- all but Villanova, West Va., Western Kentucky and, uh, Davidson. Too bad I didn't take my own advice from November. I did pick Davidson to beat GU but had them losing to Georgetown, or the other GU I guess.

Posted by jhawk

4:26 PM, Mar 25, 2008

As a KU alum, I'm obviously hoping that KU reaches the Final Four - but, Bob, to say that "it's about time to reach the Final Four" is a bit misleading. They went back to back Final Fours in 2002 and 2003. I guess your comment is more of a statement on what the majority of KU fans deem to be the true barometer of a successful season? If that was your intent then, unfortunately, I think you nailed it. Back to back 30 win seasons and if they don't reach San Antonio there will be KU alums jumping off of tall buildings. Ok, enough, I realize this isn't a KU forum - just wanted to throw that out there.

Posted by changed Husky heart

5:40 PM, Mar 25, 2008

I used to root for the cougs and (believe it or not) even the ducks up until about 4 years ago. But since our programs have been down, I've seen the true colors of duck and coug fans. And as such, I find myself hoping for the cougs to lose (badly) in every single game in which they participate. That goes doubly true for the yucks. I don't care how it reflects on the conference, state, NW, whatever. I hope they lose every single game in every single sport they play.
It's funny though, because 5 years ago, I'd be actively cheering for them in bowl games and basketball.
Thanks cougs and ducks. Now that I know your true colors, I'm happy to reciprocate your deep hatred.

Posted by Romar Rater

5:46 PM, Mar 25, 2008

Watching all of these well coached teams in the tournament makes me realize how overmatched Romar is coaching-wise in the Pac 10. I am afraid the Huskies will languish near the bottom of the conference as long as Romar is the HC.

Posted by Bob Vance-Vance Refrigeration

7:30 PM, Mar 25, 2008

Husky Heart:

Wah, wah., wah, you sound like a big baby. Now you know how annoying the Husky fans have been all these years. Just because it is you turn to suck for a while you are going to cry about it. Grow up.

Posted by tj

7:43 PM, Mar 25, 2008

I honestly believe a decent amount of Huskies would be rooting for the Cougs at this point but with ppl like cougfan and his "hear me talk cause no one else will listen to me" attitude and Geno and his "I really have no idea what im saying or I cant put complete thoughts together" has created a Husky 'anti Coug" fan that at one time kind of rooted for the Cougs like you root for a younger brother or a slow mentally challenged cousin who you love cause he's family.....but since the Geno's and the Cougfans(loneliest guy on the internet...soon to be on "to catch a predator"...tell me im wrong?) i hate them.........but at the same time I think Dave "Softy" Mahler might be more ignorant then any Cougar fan that walks the earth beside Geno.......imagine sitting around talking sports with Geno....could it be any worse then talking to Softy??

Posted by ErraticVibe

8:46 PM, Mar 25, 2008

Oregon state: "average of 4,579 fans per game"

Those are some die-hard fans. I am impressed.

Posted by Der Dawgvater

8:55 PM, Mar 25, 2008

Very nice pick of Davidson!! I should have you fill out my bracket so I can beat my folks (who don't watch any games and pick blindly) in my family pool!

Posted by Cougfan

8:24 AM, Mar 26, 2008

Hey Geno, tj doesn't like us! How will we get throught the day?

A couple updates