Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 19, 2008 5:56 PM

Valpo game thread

CAN UW WIN A CLOSE ONE? --- As I wrote earlier today, UW is 2-6 in games decided by four points or less this season. This one looks headed that way with Valpo leading 72-71 but UW holding the ball with 1:40 to play.

VALPO PLUS 10 LOOKS LIKE A GOOD BET RIGHT NOW --- The Crusaders continue to lead at 68-64 with 4:25 left. Valpo has hit 14-27 shots this half.

VALPO CLINGING TO LEAD --- So who knew Bryan Bouchie would be the star of this game? The freshman has 20 points in keeping Valpo ahead, at 58-56 with 7:37 to go. Brockman came back in the game with 10:47 and has 16 points and seven rebounds. But UW is again killing itself at the FT line going 9-18, Pondexter missing both after he was fouled when Valpo was called for an intentional foul. UW got no points out of the sequence.

QUESTION ON OFFICIALS --- They are indeed from the West Coast Conference.

NERVOUS TIME --- Valpo isn't going away and with 12:23 to go it is still a tie game at 48. Brockman has sat the last four minutes as Romar may be saving him now for the stretch run. Huskies are in a 2-3 zone at the moment, the defense they have often used of late when Wolfinger is in the game. With Wallace out, UW needs minutes from Wolfinger and MBA.

TIED AT 42 --- With 15:54 to play. Some ragged play throughout this game as Valpo has 11 TOs and UW nine. Ryan Appleby is 0-4 and scoreless and back on the bench in favor of Dentmon, who is playing well with nine points and two steals.

BROCKMAN STARTS SECOND HALF --- With Wallace out, Brockman is back in the starting lineup, Pondexter also remaining in the lineup.

WALLACE WON'T RETURN --- We've gotten word that Wallace won't return with the knee injury suffered early in the game, which seemed obvious as he needed crutches to get to and from the bench with an ice bag covering his knee. He will have the knee examined after the game to determine the extent of the injury.

HUSKIES UP 36-33 AT HALF --- UW overcome a five-point deficit to take a three-point lead at the half thanks to 14 points from Brockman, who after shaking off the rust looks back in mid-season form. He has hit 6-8 shots and also has five rebounds. Dentmon has nine points for UW and Pondexter six along with five rebounds and three assists. UW is also getting a good game from Joel Smith who has two points, on a soaring dunk, and three assists off the bench. Bouchie leads all scorers with 15, tying his most for a game since Dec. 8. Valpo's leading scorer, Shawn Huff, is scoreless, going 0-2. It's a little strange here with so many empty seats, but the Huskies appear to be providing their own energy at the moment.

VALPO LEADS 26-24 --- Brockman is playing well --- he now has seven points and four rebounds. But the Crusaders continue to lead having hit 4-11 three-pointers and getting 11 points from freshman center Bryan Bouchie. Justin Dentmon leads UW with 9.

TIED AT 19 --- With 7:31 to play. Brockman went out briefly then came back in and he has led UW back from a five-point deficit with two assists and three points.

BROCKMAN GETS REBOUND --- Brockman got a rebound on his first play on the floor, but he looks a little slow getting up and down the floor, and worth noting that not having practiced or played since March 8 his conditioning is likely affected a bit. He missed a short shot the one time he got the ball close to the basket. It's 10-9 UW with 11:55 left.

BROCKMAN IN --- Brockman is in the game with 13:35 to play, eliciting the loudest ovation so far.

COLD SHOOTING EARLY --- UW is 1-6 and Valpo 2-8 at the first media time out. Valpo holds a 4-2 lead. The Dawg Pack has filled in better and looks about 50-60 percent full. Otherwise, there may not be 4,000 people here.

WALLACE INJURED --- Artem Wallace crumpled to the ground here with 18:33 to go in the first half, holding his right knee. He was then taken immediately to the locker room with an apparent knee injury. It's 4-0 Valpo.

FOUR MINUTES TO TIP --- The final total of tickets sold prior to the game was 2,200 and it's not looking like there will be a huge walk-up. At the moment, a final crowd of 4,000 may be on the high side. It's definitely a strange atmosphere here with such an empty house.

Posted by merseybeat

6:06 PM, Mar 19, 2008

FSN needs to get this game on the air

Posted by raindawg

6:23 PM, Mar 19, 2008

ouch--I winced when I heard Artem scream as he went to the floor

Posted by mattysimone

6:41 PM, Mar 19, 2008

what a great dish by qpon to brock wow

Posted by Huskychemist (aka ODP-2)

6:54 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Bob,

(Or anybody else on this blog, for that matter.)

Do you know of any "gametracker" type updates for this game?

I can't seem to find one anywhere...and I'm in Thailand, so I can't exactly dial up KJR to listen to Bob Rondeau and Jason Hamilton right now.

Thanks.

Go Dawgs!

huskychemist

Posted by J-Paul

6:54 PM, Mar 19, 2008

So I can't watch it but I'm wondering how in the heck Valp has only 3 FT attempts to the Dawgs 12. Is it Pac-10 officiating at its finest?

Posted by J-Paul

6:55 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Huskychemist, I'm tracking it on cnnsi. It's not a live tracker, but it's better than what ESPN has.

Posted by mattysimone

7:05 PM, Mar 19, 2008

go to foxsports.com or kjram.com and you can listen live

dont forget to fill out your brackets...up to 81 and a handfull not filled out

Posted by gpointer

7:08 PM, Mar 19, 2008

on the radio, they said the officials are from the wcc.

Posted by ...

7:22 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Why do we always seem to play down to our opponent?

Posted by dawgmasta

7:27 PM, Mar 19, 2008

why the phuck are the huskies in this joke tournament invented by LOSERS? jesus christ im ashamed to be a husky

Posted by Huskychemist (aka ODP-2)

7:29 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Thanks for the tips. I am following on cnnsi.com and hoping for more updates from all of you about the "details."

Go Dawgs!

huskychemist

Posted by J-Paul

7:32 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Huskychemist, the suggestion for for fox sports was a better idea:

Posted by Romar sucks

7:33 PM, Mar 19, 2008

The Valpo team is playing the Huskies toe-to-toe. It is obvious they are a much better team and playing "down" to their opponent. UW shouldn't even be playing.

Posted by Huskychemist (aka ODP-2)

7:40 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Thanks J-Paul for the comment.

Your link to fox sports worked.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by CougarAllTheWay

7:53 PM, Mar 19, 2008

There's a reason the Valpo's have a better win-loss record than the Huskies - they are better!!

Posted by DawgMaster

7:59 PM, Mar 19, 2008

It appears like Valpo is playing extremely loose. UW is having a tough time competing.

Posted by J-Paul

8:00 PM, Mar 19, 2008

How bad were the Brockman/Dentmon misses at 1:40 to go?

Posted by Coach

8:04 PM, Mar 19, 2008

To the UW administration: If the Huskies lose this game, Romar must be fired on the spot.

Posted by J-Paul

8:06 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Man I wish I could be watching this! All these misses, Valp's two missed free throws, augh!

Posted by troy

8:08 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Bye bye Romar. Thanks for wasting $60,000. Why the heck do you have Dentmon in there at the end.

Posted by wowwwww

8:08 PM, Mar 19, 2008

LOL FOR BROCKMAN TO MISS 2 FREE THROWS TO END THE SEASON... HOW IRONIC

Posted by junkman

8:09 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Wow, what a frickin embarrassment. I have been an unwaivering Coach Romar supporter but, like it or not, he is officially on the hot seat next year. And as great as Brockman is, with the game on the line you cannot put the ball in the hands of a guy who can't make a free throw.

Posted by Jack

8:09 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Well, there goes $60k down the rat hole. Thanks for making Valpo's season. Romar was out-coached from the tip off.

Posted by Tone

8:11 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Holy crap...this is pretty low. This game did much more damage than good. We should have turned down the invite now looking back in retrospect. It is ironic that our season ends on what has been possibly our weakest area all year - free throws. I give Romar one more year to turn this around; if not, cut him loose.

Posted by Bill

8:12 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Total embarrassment. That's why the NIT took a pass last year. Romar is a hoax; take away BRoy and he does not belong in a high major program.

Posted by teak

8:13 PM, Mar 19, 2008

seems fitting that a season that was undone by missed free throws now ends by missed free throws.

Posted by Geno

8:13 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Heh heh.....hey, look at it this way - ONLY 2,000 OF YOU SAW THIS GREAT LOSS LIVE!

We all know next year will be better and the Cougars will suck.

We all know you guys really should have been in the NCAA Tourney.

We all know....we all know it was the PAC-10 officials that ruined your season....we all know.

Posted by MT Husky

8:13 PM, Mar 19, 2008

I followed the game online and this blog and am tivoiing the game...but I think I'll cancel that.

Without watching it I don't want to be too unreasonable - BUT...did Romar really get out-coached? How? Dentmon was out there at the end huh? Was his defense part of the reason Valpo scored so many points?

Well...I don't know but I don't think I can defend Romar any longer...that is a horrendous loss.

What a bitter end to a rotten season. I suppose I can no longer argue that Romar shouldn't be on the hot seat.

Posted by Tone

8:14 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Oh, and get Appleby out of here now. This guy disappeared a few weeks back. And screw any team award ceremonies this year...nobody deserves anything.

Posted by Dawgies

8:14 PM, Mar 19, 2008

How ambarassing. Now can the season be over?? I told you we shouldn't do the CBI!

Posted by jtWop

8:15 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Once again Brockman shows that he is not a winner. He has one year to turn this around, but it is looking like he will leave UW with a legacy of double-doubles and losses.

Posted by DucksWin

8:16 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Look at the good side Puppies.....you do not have to suffer any more humilation until August 30th, when you lose to the Ducks.

Posted by junkman

8:17 PM, Mar 19, 2008

MT Husky, I hate to admit it but maybe the Romar bashers have been right all along. This is really a pathetic loss. Regardless of what you and I think, there will be lots of pressure on him to get to the real tournament next year.

Posted by raindawg

8:18 PM, Mar 19, 2008

ouch

again

Posted by bham husky

8:19 PM, Mar 19, 2008

I'm still a Romar supporter , barely! He needs to go out and find someone to come in and have a clinic on free throw shooting with his whole team this summer.Bob Weiss has said it many times and he's right Brockman will never be a solid free throw shooter until he adjusts his form. He croutches way to low on his release and that makes it much harder to get a consistant distance on your free-throw.Hopefully missing these game winners will make him revamp things this summer,you know he has the work ethic but if you don't have the proper technique there is only so much better you can get.

Posted by Tone

8:19 PM, Mar 19, 2008

CBI = Collegiate Basketball Idiots

Posted by Gonzaga

8:20 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Uh...yeh,
"We need to play national level teams" Romar...
Good job Romar...

Gonzaga fans

Posted by Rick

8:21 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Other teams call a TO, they draw up a play that results in a score. UW calls a TO, and runs a play that goes nowhere andleads to a turnover. Valpo was playing 3-4 guys that had 4 foulds. Were we driving to the basket? No way. Just passing around the perimeter.

Posted by Reasonable

8:22 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Ken Bone to UW as Head Coach- 2010

Posted by ha

8:22 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Yep Gonzaga poster,
This should really help recreuiting.

What a laugh.
Good job pups

Posted by troy

8:22 PM, Mar 19, 2008

I agree with what people are saying but you can't say Brockman isn't a winner. He's just a horrible at freethrows. The guy plays his ass off every night. This is the second game in a row that Romar lost for us. He pulled Venoy who was making plays for us and put back in Dentmon who can't pass and can't hit a shot at the end. I love Romar but you gotta win these games. It shouldn't have been close. I watched the game and if you Tivoed it delete it now.

Posted by wayupwaydown

8:24 PM, Mar 19, 2008

OMG. I just got home and saw the box score. That is all you need to look at to see how this was lost.

Apple 1-7 from 3
11-24 from the foul line for WA

This is the worst case scenario. It was a perfect ending to a crappy season though. Appleby sucked, FT shooting sucked.

This sets the program back, not forward.

One silver lining for me. It is seat reallocation year for season ticket holders. If I don't get better seats next year, I will turn my tickets in and never donate again.

No reason to. I will be able to buy tickets for any game I want next year just walking up to the window on game day. It will save me several hundred dollars and I won't be forced to watch a bunch of terrible teams in Nov. and Dec. except the Huskies.

Do I sound pissed? I am. This team has lost it's pride. Romar better kick some major ass next year or Ken Bone should be brought back..

Posted by DucksWin

8:26 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Romar......$1,000,000 per year

CBI.....$60,000

Huskies lose to Valpo.....Priceless

Posted by uh

8:27 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Uh...wow.

Posted by MT Husky

8:27 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Dentmon in instead of Overton!!!??? That's all I need to know to back off my support for Romar. C'mon, I'd like one guy on this blog who knows basketball defend putting Dentmon in instead of Overton.

Overton plays smarter ball, better passes and better defense. That makes me sick.

Honestly I'm loving the remarks from the Oregon and Zag posters - you guys are 100% right (except the winning on 8/30 part) - what can we say?

Bring it on Coug fans, you might as well kick us while we're down too.

Posted by t-bone

8:28 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Question. Has anyone ever paid to lose their job. Looks like Romar just paid 60k to go on a job search.

Posted by tj

8:28 PM, Mar 19, 2008

end the pain...just end the season....this team needs to play not one more minute......The games in Greece had more relevance.......if the Huskies were a horse they would be taken out back and shot

Posted by Sam

8:30 PM, Mar 19, 2008

I am thinking we will be worse next year. Romar cannot coach, too many youg players, and no one who can score when you need a basket.

Posted by wayupwaydown

8:30 PM, Mar 19, 2008

I am with you MT. The Zag posters are 100% correct.

Romar and the U ducked the Zags this year to upgrade their schedule, what a joke....they just forgot to upgrade the team. As a season ticket holder that pissed me off. That is one game I looked forward to every year.

There were lots of other things they forgot as well.

Posted by UWWWW

8:31 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Wow, how pathetic.
Valpo...
What happened? Another bad choice of Romar to play in this tourney. Now I have to go to work and take shit from GU and WSU fans/alum.
THANKS ROMAR!!!

Posted by Rick

8:33 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Here is Romar's post game recap: We need to play with more energy, better free throw shooting, make baskets. Brother, how about coaching up the players to get themselves in a position to win. Bring back Ken Bone now.

Posted by GU fan in AZ

8:35 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Hey Wayup,
It's GU fan in AZ.
I agree. THe GU/UW game was great. What a drag Romar chose to make it go away. The decision didn't hurt GU however.

Posted by mattysimone

8:36 PM, Mar 19, 2008

unreal, chalk up another loss at the $%*^%#^*%^$ free throw line. UNREAL!!!! can we ever have the hoops gods hook us up at the end of a game? Time to put the pride aside next year, if they start the year the same way Im a firm believer that when we step to the line you sub wolf in and put him and brock down low and MAKE the ft shooter take the shot barry style.....yep under hand......it couldnt possibly be more embarrassing than their performance from the line this year. at least if they cant hit it underhand they should be able to get the rebound as it comes back down. what is that 5 close games loses that we would have won if we shot at least 60% from the line. It makes me sooooooooooooo sick!!! and even more sick to watch real teams like KU UNC UCLA TX and all the other step up and drill both FTs. Thank god I get to hear that cbs jingle at 9am tomorrow! GL EVERYONE, one last push an we could hit 100 entries

Posted by wayupwaydown

8:38 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Hey GU!

One of life's little ironies, huh? I call it Karma.

Posted by GU fan in AZ

8:43 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Wayup

Yep.
I started rooting for UW mid way through the season. (which about got me disowned by some family members).
I feel for you guys.

PS
We have final 8 tickets here in Phoenix. Lookes like (from my bracket), it will be UCLA and Duke.

Posted by Paul

8:44 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Wow that should never happen no matter what!!!!!

However if we could make our free throws all season we would be in the NCAA tournament. At least 6 games we lost because of the poor free throw shooting. If Romar is telling the truth that they shoot 70 plus percent at practice then this falls on the players. They need to be mentally tough and they are not. Free throws are that free!!!!!!!! Make them already. Not much Romar can do if they shoot well in practice and not in games. If the players make the free throws we are in the big dance but...... we are not. Next year will be better. It reminds me of the Seahawks WR and dropping passes. It will go away!!!

Posted by troy

8:44 PM, Mar 19, 2008

One last rant for me tonight. We need to drop wolfinger. The guy can't play any D and the ball just goes throught his hands on rebounds. Another reason to fire Romar is he thinks this guy is a NBA prospect. Maybe WNBA.

Posted by ghg

8:44 PM, Mar 19, 2008

shit, I came here to find out the outcome and Condotta still has nothing! something like the Huskies..

Posted by wazzumilkman

8:44 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Turn out the lights... the party's over.......

Posted by lassidawg

8:44 PM, Mar 19, 2008

No Duck fan should ever be critical of Romar, list time I checked Kent has been anything close to a genius. Maybe they make a run, but I doubt it. With all that talent they should have don more.
Thank goodness Kent saved his job for another year.
Can't coach Free Throw shooting.

Posted by Fans?

8:45 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Only 3,500 fans showed up in a city as large as Seattle? Pathetic. No support.

Posted by troy

8:48 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Can't coach freethrow shooting??? Are you kidding me. Have these guys shooting a 100 a day and play the guys that can actually make them.

Posted by Tom

8:48 PM, Mar 19, 2008

One of the reasons the Dawg Pack looked fuller is because employees started going into the stands asking random people if they wanted to sit there. Didn't have to ask me twice.

Free throws, free throws, free throws. You know, it really was a fitting way to end the season. Down 1, 5 seconds left, star player at the line for 2 shots, misses them both. One long, one short.

(I said fitting, not good. Just want to make sure that gets through)

Also - worst officiating I've ever seen in person. Not kidding.

Posted by wow

8:48 PM, Mar 19, 2008

wow

Posted by wayupwaydown

8:50 PM, Mar 19, 2008

GU,

Wow, that is great. Have a really good time. I have been to a couple of opening rounds and one Final Four in MPLS with Duke and Michigan.
It is a blast.

Posted by Scout

8:50 PM, Mar 19, 2008

How many guys transfer? Where is their career going with this team?

Posted by Poll Question?

8:52 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Which program is more frustrating to follow/watch. Football or Basketball?

Posted by wazzumilkman

8:52 PM, Mar 19, 2008

well at least football season is just around the corner....................

Posted by jed

8:53 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Brockman was clearly productive and without him they would not have been in the game. But Brock was not near 100% with his injury. He missed rebounds and close in shots and his timing and jumping ability were really hindered. Had he been at full strength I don't think there was anyone on Valpo who could have stopped him; he might have doubled his rebound total. Can't totally lay the loss at his feet even with the missed FTs at the end; miss FTs were team wide and cost them the game.

The Valpo point guard is fast but hard to believe he is faster than VO but VO allowed him to repeatedly penetrate near the end and dish for easy buckets when we needed stops. Really missed Artem to help defend their two effective inside guys who did much of their scoring. Inside defense is one of our strengths but with the injuries it looked weak tonight.

The team seemed a bit lost tonight. Appleby when not shooting well is a liability. Wolf should transfer. I don't see his defensive ability and rebounding to ever be at Pac-10 standards.

Tough way to end the year. If nothing else it should allow the Freshmen this year and the recruits coming in to realize that playing time is wide open and completely up for grabs next year.

Posted by MedinaTyee

8:54 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Hmmm.....Bob's gone mute? Or, is it disgust?

Posted by wazzumilkman

8:54 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Not much to hope for this fall either.......

Posted by bleedin' purple

8:59 PM, Mar 19, 2008

troy- "play the guys that can actually make them"...

Really?! because that would be the greatest super sweet lineup starting Appleby, Dentmon, Pondexter, Overton, and Wolfinger. That sounds like a winning combo to me. Wow. How did you not get picked up as the coach of a top level division I program? I simply can't believe it.... think, then type. not the other way around and save us the trouble of reading through your pointless posts.

Look, realistically the entire team dropped in FT% this year from .724 to .590 with the only newly added players that took any sizable number of FTs being Overton, MBA and Morris. Just about all of the returning players dropped from last year's %. So tell me, are you saying that Romar knew how to coach FT shooting last year and suddenly forgot this year, or is your argument the pathetic FT shooting was due to bad coaching just full of S**t? No, really, I'm actually interested to see how you explain this one since it promises to be f-ing hilarious.

Posted by wazzumilkman

8:59 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Brockman is a basketball stud and a fine young man. Too bad he made one big mistake in his life...being stuck with the loosers he has to play with..........

Posted by MT Husky

8:59 PM, Mar 19, 2008

"Which program is more frustrating to follow/watch. Football or Basketball?"

You know, that is a REALLY good question. I feel exactly the same as I did after the Hawaii game.

I call it an absolute draw.

Posted by lassidawg

9:00 PM, Mar 19, 2008

I am sure that Romar didn't set aside any practice time for free throw shooting. It is up to the players to make their foul shots, clearly it is in their heads. Brockman has never been great, but until this year he was decent. I am sure it must have been all the coaching hat happens at the free throw line.

Should the Dawgs have won depite their best player probably at 75%, his ankle really hurt him on the efensive end. Lets not forget their second best post defender went out of the game 5 minutes into it.
for all the Romar bashers why don't you say who would be better and would take this job.
Be careful what you wish for, you know what you have with him, and we could always go back to the Russo or Nance eras, because that was FUN.

Posted by wazzumilkman

9:04 PM, Mar 19, 2008

haven't you huskies figured it out yet..you couldn't even buy a win....The season is over, kaput ,finished, done for...start worrying about (fit to be )Tyed and all the football games you will lose......

Posted by mhawkeye

9:07 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Blame this on the coach? Ridiculous, guys. Here's what probably caused us to lose:

-shoot sub 50% at the FT line
-missed all but a few shots beyond about 8 feet
-miss a bunch of wide open looks in the last 2 min
-allow guard penetration repeatedly in last 5-6 min

Improve any one of those and Dawgs win. And all can be blamed on execution, not coaching.

Posted by Fill Nite

9:09 PM, Mar 19, 2008

When does crew start? Football and basketball are embarrassing!

Posted by LA Husky

9:09 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Good Lord this was disappointing. But for once I'm going to remain optimistic. We've all seen flashes of great play from this team over the course of the season. Unfortunately, it wasn't there tonight. The better team won. It was hard for any fans to get exited enough for this game and show up--where were the students??? It must have been hard for the team. It's a silly tournament, a bad idea and one that must be put behind and buried with the rest of the bad play of this season. Winning this tourney would have guaranteed nothing for next season. Florida won two NCAA titles and couldn't make it to the Show this year.
Romar has his work cut out for him in the off season and I believe he knows that. He's a smart man who recognizes that people are not happy, unlike TW. He'll come around and so will the team.

Posted by lassidawg

9:10 PM, Mar 19, 2008

PLease i woant to hear of all the great wisdom Cougar fans can tell us of their great experiences over the last 2 years, because that is all you know. You may want to be careful of your football comments, because I am guessing we won't be hearing much from you come the fall. , because it will be worse than the Dawgs. I think U of A may be your competition for last.
Don't knock the CBI, because next year you will be glad to have had the chance.
I would gladly trade spots to be in the tourny,

Posted by Geno

9:11 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Ah gee....I thought I would have a little fun and read about your LOSS tonight but find very little written up on the game from Bob. What's the matter Bob...just not into it when your team LOOSES? Damn....I was hoping for some good stuff on why UW lost.

Oh, by the way, please sign up Romar for another 10 years. That is my Cristmas wish.

Posted by NW Fan

9:13 PM, Mar 19, 2008

wazzumilkman. If you are a true Coug you will stop making your ridiculous posts. I'm a Coug and enjoy talking NW Sports on this blog. You just make other WSU grads sound stupid. Please, please stop.

Grow up.

Posted by Oh

9:13 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Uhm...lassidawg
Probably not a good time to rip on the COugs.

Posted by Frustrated

9:14 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Jed: Think about what you are saying. Sure, if Brockman, one of the top Pac 10 players is healthily we beat Valpo. But UW is a power conference team playing an also ran from a low mid level conference, and we should run these guys off the court, without Brockman. There is not a single guy on Valpo that can get 20 minutes on a Big 10 team, yet they outplayed us on offense and defense. We made Valpo look like they could have finished in the top half of the Pac 10.

Posted by Tough ?

9:16 PM, Mar 19, 2008

MT Husky I hear you.

I say football though since more is expected.

Do you realize that over the past two years every pac 10 school other than UW has had a team go to a bowl game or the big dance. Unbelievable.

Posted by Geno

9:18 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Frustrated...sorry to bust your Husky bubble but most teams UW plays and looses to look like PAC-10 champs. Why - because your team is TERRIBLE.....that's why. And you don't see this why - because your stupid?

Posted by Geno Stop!

9:21 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Geno, if you are a real Coug fan you will stop making these posts. You are an embarrassment.

Posted by mukdawg

9:26 PM, Mar 19, 2008

What are "looses"? When a team does not win a game, it loses the game. Loose is a term to describe your mom, Geno. Please learn how to spell. This isn't Pullman.

Posted by troy

9:46 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Bleeding Purple-
That actually sounds like a winning combo at the end of the game to me. Couldn't have been any worst in the 6 close games that we lost. Not saying sit Brockman the whole game but can you count on him in the end. Doesn't look like it. I actually am a coach and have won two state titles in CA. Over 11 years my teams have never shot below 80% and we usually are 85%-90%. Did Romar forget how to coach freethrows. No, but it looks like he didn't spend enough time on it. Take a week off from practice for the game and make them shoot. Have them sit and visualize their shots. Make some demands of the players. Trust me players hate this and they will start sinking them. Bad shooting is due to bad coaching, but it is his job to get the players over it not just accept it. Maybe you don't realize but the Dawgs were the worst in the country. Again I repeat, the worst in the country. That might be ok with you but doesn't sit well with me and sure as hell shouldn't with the leader of this team.

Posted by huskiefan@aol.com

9:46 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Husky basketball is a disaster......the Sonics are not only leaving but give up 164 points...the Mariners, including ace Bedard are giving up runs like they were going out of style..the UW football defense was by far the worst in school history......has Seattle become the laughing stock of all sports? What do we have to look forward to? Womens chess?

Posted by troy

9:46 PM, Mar 19, 2008

p.s. you might want to have that blood condition looked at as I think it is going to your brain.

Posted by john

9:48 PM, Mar 19, 2008

I dont even know what to say. I was planning on going to the game on Monday.

Posted by UtahDawg

9:51 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Yeah.

The CBI cost the UW $60,000, Artem's ACL and major ego points.

Complete waste. Really sad.

Posted by Coach

9:56 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Romar basically has no recruits for '09. The jig is about up. Once Brockman leaves we cruise to the bottom of the Pac10. Wait, I guess coming in 8 or 9 is no consolation. UW had the lowest FT% of all teams in Division 1. This is pathetic and is entirely on the coaches. Its not like Romar was working on some great offensive scheme or defensive scheme that he had no time to work on FT's.

Posted by Coach

9:59 PM, Mar 19, 2008

The loss of Artem is a real tragedy. Notice how Amaning could not step up to help guard the Valpo big guys. And Wolf, please advise him now so he can arrange for his transfer. Lets stop wasting a scholly on him.

Posted by Dawg_2004

10:02 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Romar has done it to himself. Nate and Conroy and Bobby Jones and BRoy all raised expectations. Romar talked it up, and then got a "top 5" recruiting class. Have we noticed that that recruiting class did not fit the style of basketball the Dawgs were used too (very fast, uptempo, run and run and run)? I don't care how good Spencer looked while posting up folding chairs in high school or how Phil Nelson could hit a three pointer with nobody in his face or how Quincy COULD have all the ability in the world. I will take 3 people who work as HARD as they can over those people who are rated highly. I don't expect much out of the guys coming in next year, they all have a sense of entitlement as they are "5 star or 4 star recruits". Take those stars, shove them where the sun don't shine and PLAY SPIRITED DEFENSE. Then when you get the ball, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN. Dentmon was only as good as BRoy bailed him out for, and Brockman (for as hard as he works) should not be a center of the offense. We run, shoot and he catches up to rebound, that is it. Romar does not know how to coach 74-70 ballgames. He knows how to coach 94-89 ballgames. And THANK THE LORD Appleby is gone. Maybe he has that "stroke" but he doesn't hit it when it counts. Romar gets into the NCAA tourney next year or the following year is the final year. And if they don't fix the student section next year this is going to turn into nothing more than the old person/thug arena. I am tired of Tyee members who think it is above them to do anything but sit there and talk about the the ol' days. I understand history is important, but how about the guys on courtside heckling someone? How about the people behind the baskets wave more than their eyebrows? I am tired of Tyee people at football games too. If youíre too old to get loud, then get out of the stadium. And if the Athletic department wants me to come back to basketball games, make it an atmosphere of intimidation, not passive. I canít afford to get season tickets and refuse to sit in the top 5 rows where there is no air and you canít see the scoreboard. Letís say this final thing to the team: DO WORK, SON!

Posted by jed

10:11 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Frustrated: You are right. I've tried to remain positive and appreciate what improvement the team had made in certain areas late in the year but this loss is deflating. Indeed, Valpo is fourth in their league in a low mid-major conference; they should be hard pressed to hang with Pac-10 teams playing only their bench players.

Posted by unfading passion

10:11 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Please, get off of Romar's ass and stop calling for his head. The only reason anyone has any expectations for this team is because of him. Remember where UW was before he got here? I mean sure we didn't have a great year, but no one had high hopes for this years team anyway. Wait till they get some scorers next year and have more time to find their identity, things will come around.

Posted by thomas

10:17 PM, Mar 19, 2008

brockman is a choke artist. i sure hope locker stays the hell away from him.

Posted by patience

10:25 PM, Mar 19, 2008

brockman misses two and the season ends.

absolutely the most appropriate ending to a very disappointing season, eh?

on the lighter side Geno posted:

"What's the matter Bob...just not into it when your team LOOSES?"

proving once again that cougs lack the most rudimentary, educational ability to spell even simple words

look it up coug boy teams don't loose, they lose. one "o", geno.

lest you think i'm unfairly disparaging cougs by correcting geno, waaumilkman posted:

"Too bad he made one big mistake in his life...being stuck with the loosers he has to play with....."

lol!

Posted by lorlor

10:33 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Whats new. It is fitting that they lost because of free throw shooting. The thing is, is that they have had free throw shooting problems from day one!! Do they not practice them during or after practice? At what point will Romar have them practice free throws until they can't shoot another? I'm starting to doubt Romars effectiveness. Look what happened to Pondexter, Appleby, Smith all really good players, that weren't nearly as good as they should have been. I think Conroy, Roy, Nate et al were so good, that it made Romar look very very good. Its easy to coach focused b ball players that grew up laying ball together, but when you get very talented players together that did not grow up playing with one another. Good coaches can mesh those players together to make a good or great team. Obviously Romar isn't doing that. He also isn't or didn't help the team in improving their poor as free throw shooting. What an embarrassment to lose to Valpo in a third tier "tourney"!

Posted by wayupwaydown

10:40 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Sorry, I have been a Romar backer and still am. But when a team loses over and over again the EXACT same way, and there seems to be no improvement or adjustments that the players execute, then it is time to start questioning the coaching.

You can blame the talent, but I have no great talent and I can shoot FT's better than they can. Who recruited the talent? And who is responsible for developing the talent?

I think Romar had a worse coaching season than the players had. His rotations sucked, the defense was inconsistent, and the players only seemed to get up for one out of three games they played. Not to mention all the players that he recruited that bailed out on the program the last couple of years. You can lay that on him too. He should do a better job of finding committed kids and ones that can withstand a little adversity. Not to mention ones that fit his style of play.

I want to give Romar next year to get things moving in the right direction. Let's see if all his recruits actually make it to school, stay in school, and can play Romar ball. Let's see if Romar can make some adjustments and do a better job of teaching.

Again, as I have stated in the past, it isn't like UW is a traditional BB powerhouse. It isn't easy being a consistent power in a conference like the Pac Ten.

But it is reasonable to expect a team that can go to the NCAA's regularly. And in an off year go to the NIT and do reasonably well. That is about as good as you can expect.

It is time to do it next year.

Posted by bleedin' purple

10:47 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Troy -- if you read many of the articles about this team over the season you would have read numerous quotes from players saying that they have shot hundreds of free throws in practices this season. Also you would have seen them (both coaches and players) quoted as saying that never seemed to have problems making free throws in practice (except Wallace and MBA, I recall) but that their difficulties were mainly in the games. You would even have seen them quoted as saying that they tried everything they could think of to simulate game situations for free throws in practice in order to work on them, all to no avail. I'm sure that your ideas are vastly more brilliant than this professional coaching staff was able to come up with, but unless you were there in the practices I guess we'll never know. All I'm saying is that from everything the coaches and players said all season long it hardly looks like they were just accepting it, as you put it.

I never claimed that it was fine with me that they were the worst in the country at shooting free throws, but if your assumption is that the issue was bad coaching then you should probably produce some evidence to back it up. It's nice that you're a high school coach and have had success getting your kids to shoot FTs, but unless you've dealt with this specific group of college kids it's kind of hard for you to comment on their particular personal mental issues with shooting FTs (or lack thereof) or the best way to fix them.

BTW, thanks for the concern about the blood condition but my hematologist says it is generally a seasonal issue and will probably clear up following march madness just to return right before the first football game of the year... :)

Posted by mattysimone

10:58 PM, Mar 19, 2008

one thing i do find really funny is out of 85 people in my bracket there is no geno or meatball to be found haha they can sure talk the talk but no walk!

Posted by Hutch

11:02 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Wazzumilkman, you do realize that in his freshman season Brockman made it further in the NCAA tourney than any current Coug has, right? Further than any Coug has period since the 64 team tourney started. if you are going to come here and rip on the Huskies, talk some sense man!

A couple updates