Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 18, 2008 8:33 AM

Tuesday links

Here they are:

--- Here's our story today focusing on the Huskies saying they are glad to have a chance to play more basketballl, along with some charts that give some info on the CBI and Valparaiso.

--- Here's a view from the Valparaiso side focusing on leading scorer Shawn Huff getting his wish to continue playing. Also included is an assertion from Valpo coach Homer Drew that the Huskies are the best team in the CBI as well as some detail on the team's rugged travel schedule Monday.

--- Some Valpo players didn't learn who they would play until 2 a.m.

--- Here's an unflattering view of the CBI from Western Michigan coach Steve Hawkins, whose team was left out of the tournament despite a 20-12 record. Hawkins charges that schools that have done prior business with the Gazelle Group (which is running the CBI) had the best chance of getting in the tournament (UW has hosted a Gazelle tournament in 2005 and will play in one next fall). The story also says the entire Big 12 Conference decided to take a pass on the tourney and its $60,000 guarantee (it's been well-reported that Missouri declined an offer).

--- Tim Cronin of the Southtown (Ill.) Star also rips the CBI.

--- The Cincy-Bradley CBI game will resurrect a rivalry dead since 1981.

--- Houston coach Tom Penders says he'd rather play in the CBI than the NIT. Houston will be UW's opponent in the second round if each wins first-round games.

--- Houston plays Nevada tonight in Reno and tickets will cost a little more than UW is charging. Nevada is charging $25, $20 and $18 for public tickets and $5 for students. UW is charging $15 for general tickets and $5 for students.

--- Here's more on the Nevada-Houston game, which is a matchup of two teams that each won 20 games this season.

IN OTHER NEWS:

--- Times columnist Jerry Brewer breaks down the NCAA Tournament field.

--- Bud Withers of our staff offers some thoughts on the post-season.

--- When I wrote a story on the UW-Oregon game a few weeks ago, I noted how Ernie Kent's nickname among some in the profession is "Lazurus.'' John Canzano of the Oregonian columnizes on the same topic, writing that Kent saved himself by guiding Oregon to a No. 9 seed, but that he'll be right back on the hot seat again next season.

Believe it or not, I'll try later to make some picks on the CBI. You're free to play along.

Posted by

9:49 AM, Mar 18, 2008

Let the 1st round game against ITT Teck begin! Go doggies!

Posted by

9:52 AM, Mar 18, 2008

I thought they play Devrey Institute???

Posted by

9:58 AM, Mar 18, 2008

I've been an outspoken Romar supporter all season.

I've defended (mostly and usually...with a few lapses) this Husky team as inexperienced and doing their best with the talent they have and the tough conference.

I've unabashedly played the "just wait til next year card" based on the maturation of Husky's younger players and the incoming Frosh.

I've defended Huskies appearance in the CBI and have to confess to even looking forward to watching them (I view it as a good opener for the real thing on Thursday).

However, I draw the line at filling out a CBI bracket!

Oh, what the heck, where can I find a bracket?

MT Husky

Posted by

11:26 AM, Mar 18, 2008

Bash this tournament all you want.

Fact is, you get to continue practicing as well as some more games. I don't see how that could be lookiing upon in a negative light, considering we get almost everyone back next year.

Posted by

12:19 PM, Mar 18, 2008

Mt Husky.

Your enthusiasm is contagious.

But I will not participate in this bracket picking. I don't even know who some of the schools are. May as well throw darts at the bracket.

I am not against playing in this tournament, I am just not very excited about it. I don't get excited about the NIT either. To me it is all about the NCAA.

But nothing wrong with playing a game or two more. It can't hurt unless they lose. Then it will really hurt. Not sure the program needs that.
UW losing early in this tournament would be embarrassing. And it would not surprise me either.

wayupwaydown

Posted by

12:27 PM, Mar 18, 2008

interesting that casto said washington contacted him last week. So Is it bleek that I.T. will pass and even then one current member has to go even for Thomas. hmmm

Dont forget to register your brackets...up to 67 and you can do more than one...I did two. Had to go heavy pac10 in one

mattysimone

Posted by

12:46 PM, Mar 18, 2008

Castro is a great player and although his personal life was messed up some, I find it odd that the Huskies only recently contacted him. What harm does it do to talk to him over the last couple of years?

Why would he consider the Huskies now? They only show interest in the best player in WA now? What kind of respect is that?

Wayup

Posted by

1:17 PM, Mar 18, 2008

Random comments that tie in to this:

Scouts.com had Casto as a 2* player, so I donít think many (if any) teams anticipated his game developing to where apparently has (Iíve not seen him play, only going on what Iíve read). So with so many other good recruits (too many!) Iím sure Romar just didnít feel it was where time should be investedÖIím glad heís changed his mind if he knows some magical method to open up that scholarship.

Because, the obvious question is, and matty referred to it, how would Huskies scholarship him? They are already one over the limit.
It is too bad they canít somehow utilize 2009 scholarships (I know they canít, I just wish right now they could). Huskies will lose 4 Sr.ís next year but right now if you go to espn.com and look at the Husky recruiting page for 2009 only 1 of their potential recruits is expressing much interest in UW and that is Silva who Iíve heard rumblings that his interest in UW is declining.

So if Casto were indeed interested in UW, it sure would be nice to somehow be able to have him and count it toward 2009 where right now it appears Huskies could have the opposite problem they have for 2008Ömore scholarships than top recruits.

MT Husky

Posted by

1:28 PM, Mar 18, 2008

Does anyone know what our non-conference schedule looks like for next year? Any big names lined up? Or is this yet to be determined?

Posted by

1:57 PM, Mar 18, 2008

Mt Huskly,

Castro broke the State tournament record for blocks this year and had 8 in the championship game.

He is a force and very athletic. He would be a great #2 in college and would replace Brockman in a year very nicely.

I don't know of him personally, but it seemed he has had a tough couple of years at home. Just with moving around and such.

I haven't heard of any personal issues with him as far as he seems to stay out of trouble. I think he just needs to pass his SAT, but the Huskies have other recruits in that boat as well.

I guess I am a liltle bewildered if indeed the Huskies just made contact now. How does talking to him hurt?

I bet the Zags have been in his shorts for three years.

Wayup

Posted by

2:08 PM, Mar 18, 2008

Thanks Wayup, I appreciate that, I did not know any of that.

A) You're right...perhaps there is no excuse that he hadn't been contacted...but being the eternal and annoying Romar loyalist I've somehow become (not sure how it happened) I'll once again say that we don't know the whole story and give him the benefit of the doubt (FYI, keep in mind, my Romar Loyalist Card expires in 2 years and at that time I will have the choice to renew it or allow it to expire)

B) Would love to get excited but then am reminded I still don't know how we'll open up a scholarship for IT.

A couple updates