Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 17, 2008 9:09 PM

Huskies favored by 10

So here's the real reason for the College Basketball Invitational --- 17 more college basketball games to bet on.

Yep, there are spreads out already on the inaugural edition of the CBI, with the Huskies having been installed as 10-point favorites on Valpo. The over-under is 144, which means that taking the line at its most literal, the oddsmakers are calling for UW to win 76-66.

If recent trends are any indication, the Huskies might be a good bet.

Interestingly enough, the Huskies had almost the same record against the spread this year as straight up --- 15-16-1 against the number, 16-16 on the court.

But in both settings, UW has been better of late. The Huskies have won six of their last nine against the spread, and five of the last seven, one of the losses coming when they lost to Cal by three (when the Bears were two-point favorites) in the Pac-10 tourney game they played without Jon Brockman. For what it's worth, UW was a three-point underdog when it played at Cal with Brockman 10 days earlier, meaning Vegas didn't account a whole lot for his absence, or maybe didn't really realize it.

UW was 9-8-1 against the spread in Pac-10 play (the push came in the opener against WSU), and 15-10-1 in its last 26 games after starting out 0-6 (Vegas likely correcting a bit after UW's sluggish start).

The over has also been a good bet recently in UW games as the last five games have gone over. That's in contrast to an amazing 10 straight games going under earlier in the year (from the loss at home to Pitt to the win at home over Oregon), which also likely resulted in some reevaluating of the Huskies by the oddsmakers.

But it also does speak a little bit to UW scoring better of late --- after being held in the 50s six times in the first 13 Pac-10 games, the Huskies have scored 73 or more in all but one of their last seven (the other was 63 against ASU).

Valparaiso was 13-15-1 against the spread this year (no line set in the other games) and has gone over the total in the last four.

Posted by

11:04 PM, Mar 17, 2008

Geno... this is the first post...

five four? just tell me how tall you are.

I know I graduated from a top ranked University... and I know you read the rankings...

I also know, you have been skating around your height... figure skating? come on martin SHORT... just drop it, and I will drop it... seriously we can end this. I just want to know.

but then again you have to watch such great television like "survivor" with your daughters. hey I know plenty of girls that went to pullman, we used to make few trips over there just to see them... not to talk to them... that's for sure. they have that too look forward to.

Posted by

12:20 AM, Mar 18, 2008

What are you talking about? What a weird first post man

Posted by

6:26 AM, Mar 18, 2008

hey bob,

any word on ticket sales for the game?

Posted by

8:07 AM, Mar 18, 2008

I have my tickets. Bringing the 2 year old and the 4 year old, so we'll see how that goes.

Posted by

5:38 PM, Mar 18, 2008

11:04 AM poster - you need help my friend. You have such anger it makes you apear blind...or stupid...not sure which.

Have a great day my dear friend.

Posted by Geno

6:35 PM, Mar 18, 2008

11:04 AM poster....you said "they have that too look forward to."

You surely did graduate from a top notch school if you graduated from UW based on your usage of the ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

Question for you - do you truly think if you use grammar like you do that you would have received a degree from WSU? Not in your life. If anything you surely made me chuckle you knucklehead.

Before I go, do I have to point out how much of an ass you made out of yourself? Judging by your “command” of the English language I might :-)

For your information idiot, I played basketball in college but wasn't "college material". If you read this blog as much as you appear you would have read that....unless of course you were busy with your elementary school work.

Now take others advice and get some help for your mental condtion....they are only giving you this advice for your own good.

Geno

Posted by Geno

6:52 PM, Mar 18, 2008

Meant I played high school basketball.....

Idiot....I know you have read right through this but thought I would correct if for your little brain.

Posted by Geno

5:17 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Just as I figured - the idiot is a puss.

A couple updates