Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 17, 2008 9:21 AM

CBI ticket info

UW has announced that tickets to the CBI game against Valparaiso Wednesday will be $15, with students charged $5.

Here is more ticket info.

That release also contains TV info for the game, saying that it will be available on-line for those who can't get it on their cable system. According to the CBI web site, the game will be on Fox College Sports Wednesday at 6 p.m. That's Channel 415 on Comcast networks in the Seattle area.

MORE ON VALPO:

--- Valpo coach Homer Drew isn't thrilled the team has to travel so far West when there were a couple of closer teams also in the tournament. Drew, by the way, was an assistant at WSU for one year (1971-72). And Valpo has played in a post-season in Seattle before, getting drilled by Gonzaga in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at KeyArena in 2004.

--- Here's another story that makes it sound as if Valpo was a last-minute addition to this thing.

--- Here's an overview of the entire tournament that mentions UW.

Posted by tj

9:50 AM, Mar 17, 2008

15 bucks...thats a joke.....every seat should be 5 bucks and make it festival seating.....it's gonna look sad with only 3,000 people in the stands!!

10:46 AM, Mar 17, 2008

I'm guessing this is the result of having to pay 60k to be a host. If the prices stay the same and the Huskies are able to make a run through the tournament hosting possibly 4 games they should be able to turn a nice profit.

11:18 AM, Mar 17, 2008

$15, $30 for two? Hey that's a cheap date even with concessions.

11:58 AM, Mar 17, 2008

There's been a lot of talk about the identity of this team next year and where its going to go. I have a thought and I'd be interested to read what others think about it.

First off, I would agree with the offense moving through someone other than Brockman, I'd like to see them get back to a faster pace and nasty guards that play D.

Second, look at what having an aggressive freshman come in has done for Kansas St., Arizona St., Arizona, UCLA, USC and many others. Now I'm not trying to say that UW has that caliber of freshman coming in next year, I'm just wondering....

Suggs seems like a guy that can do a lot, he doesn't average a ton of points, but I've noticed from clips I've read that when his team needs him to score he can step up and score. He's a tall guard, listed at 6' 6" so that means he's probably 6' 4" or 6' 5". I think we all know what tall SG that has all around talent can do for a team.

And last, can Overton, Thomas (if he qualifies), Turner, Dentmon, Smith, and Holiday step up and be that nasty, fast paced, defensive minded guard we're looking for? Can we just make them watch tape of Conroy, Jones, Roy and Robinson all off season? I'd like them to see the type of guard they need to become.

So there are 6 guys there, if even just 2 of them can adopt that nasty streak I think it'll make a huge difference for this team next year. I think we all can agree improvement in the guard play, defensively as well as offensively is a MUST if this team is going to improve. I like the progression of the bigs and wing players, just keep it up and it can all come together....and thats the glass half full perspective....

11:59 AM, Mar 17, 2008

12:17 PM, Mar 17, 2008

I’ve been opinionated and outspoken on this subject so why stop now?

Though not quite the caliber of Beasley, Mayo, Hardin, Bayless, etc – I do think next year’s freshmen are very close.

If you google next year’s guards you’ll find that Turner is mentioned in conversations that include other top west coast players like Love. You’ll find some arguing that Suggs should have been a McDonald’s All-American selection. So even for others who have watched them play to make these statements tells me these guys have potential to be VERY good.

For the record, I think more recent stats actually list Suggs at 6’7”. And I’ve noticed that some teams have gone away from listing players taller than their real height and to play mental games list them shorter. So…Suggs MIGHT be all of 6’6” or 6’7”. I also thought he averaged around 22 points a game (am I wrong?).

I don’t see this group of guys having the ‘nasty’ streak that Conroy and Robinson had. But I do think that there is substantial evidence that this group of guards will be every bit as good but in different ways.

Consider:

- Sorry to keep repeating, but I LOVE the passing ability of Overton. I think he is a better passer (and maybe quicker) than any of those guards (FYI – can we exclude BRoy from this? He was a one in a million and Huskies will never have another BRoy).

- It’s tough to know until we watch them play, but it sounds like Thomas, Suggs, and Turner can all three score from the outside OR inside. I think they will give the Huskies an offensive boost they haven’t had in years.

- Holiday isn’t ‘nasty’, but he hustles. His attitude and effort will go miles when he is on the court.

- Better ‘length’ with these guards: Holiday, Turner and Suggs all bring a lot of height for guards.

I just don’t see how the guard play next year can’t be substantially improved on both ends of the floor.

Two caveats:
1) The 3 point line will be further back and so I don’t know which, if any, of these guards will pose much 3 point threat. I think that is a very legit concern.

2) SOMEONE won’t be back next year. We have one too many players. I hope it isn’t any of the players identified in this post.

Maybe I am foolishly naïve and optimistic but I cannot possibly see how Huskies can’t be a great team next season.

They will have experience, will be stronger (all of the ‘bigs’ are working on strength), will be longer (Bresheers has a 7 foot wing span doesn’t he?, Gant), they will be more athletic, they will be faster, they will have better guard play. How can this team NOT win 6 or 7 more games than this year’s team???

MT Husky

12:31 PM, Mar 17, 2008

I'm with you MT Husky. I appreciate your analysis of next year's team. Another thing to consider from the past two seasons is the amount of transition this team has gone through. The only remaining recruit from the '06-'07 freshmen class is Pondexter. I see a lot of potential in the upcoming seasons assuming most everyone sticks w/ the team and works on becoming a team.

One of the things that sticks out to me from the BRoy, Robinson, Jones, Conroy era is how much of a team they were, and it's one thing I appreciate about the way the cougars play now. So if things stays more stable regarding team dynamics, I definitely see the huskies having a better season next year.

12:40 PM, Mar 17, 2008

Excellent point - I've been meaning to make that same point as what I see is the biggest difference between the current Jr.'s & Sr.'s vs. current frosh and Sophmores.

Hopefully next year's freshmen are team players (IT concerns me) - but from what I've observed I think Holiday, Overton, Qpon and even MBA are all better about team ball then Appleby, Smith, Dentmon...and stone me for saying it, but even Brockman (but I think a lot is Brockman just trying to do too much, that is why I say run the offense through Qpon and let Brockman excel at his natural game).

Thanks for mentioning that - I agree whole heartedly.

MT Husky

12:45 PM, Mar 17, 2008

So......it's come to buying your way into a cheesy 'tournament' for $60K, has it? What happened to the once Proud Tradition of Husky Athletics to have to grovel for this?

But then a 16-16 team which was medicore at best in a loaded with talent PAC-10, needs a big name to legitimize the process, hence a #1 Seed, eh?

Have the Dawgs got no pride? This is truly pathetic and reeks of the rock bottom it is.

Good to hear the Valporaiso Coach was once a Cougar Assistant, perhaps he will make it an even cleaner 'sweep' this year and send the Dawg's home as the Loser's they are.

12:58 PM, Mar 17, 2008

Could be a potential of 5 more home games total. Nice for Appleby. He has taken so much crap this year I would love to see him come out loose and just light it up.

2:15 PM, Mar 17, 2008

Why are we happy with a CBI bid? HOORAY!! WAY TO GO HUSKIES!

Romar should learn from BIlly Donovan: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3298503

2:26 PM, Mar 17, 2008

Congrats to UW getting into the CBS, or ABC, or NBC thing. If it goes well, and if UW hires an AD, the AD should look into some post season football game against another non-bowl eligible team.

2:36 PM, Mar 17, 2008

This blog format is a joke. They took a terrific thing of say five months ago (when the separate window popped up) and made it not good.

3:29 PM, Mar 17, 2008

i'm glad for the opportunity for kids to play some more ball, but really? the post season is ALL about earning your right to continue playing. I don't like this buy in CBI. Oh, and 15 bucks? Don't complain.... try NCAA tix.

3:30 PM, Mar 17, 2008