Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 16, 2008 7:56 PM

UW in CBI and likely to host Wednesday

That's the word from UW, that the Huskies have been invited. But there is no official word yet on the field itself.

We should know in the next half-hour or so who the Huskies will host on Wednesday and the rest of the field so I'll pass that along as soon as it comes.

Here's a link to the bracket, which should soon be filled.

UPDATE --- The Sonics have a home game with Phoenix on Wednesday night scheduled for telecast on FSN-Northwest, so there might not be local TV for this game unless it's at an unusual start time.

UPDATED UPATE --- As of 8:20, still no word on an opponent for the Huskies, or an official CBI field. However, we're told UW did practice today already in anticipation of a bid. Jon Brockman, still ailing with a sprained ankle, did not practice.

MORE ON THE FIELD --- Other teams that will play in the CBI are Virginia, Houston, Utah and Bradley, and apparently Alabama. So there will be some big names.

A NOTE ON COMMENTS --- You may notice we're being forced to police those pretty rigorously tonight, unfortunately. For those of you who keep sending in comments ripping me for deleting some of those comments, please realize this blog is about a lot more than me. It's a Seattle Times blog --- I just happen to be the guy who writes it at the moment --- and it has to abide by Times standards. There are others here policing it as well. Would be nice if we didn't have to, but at the moment, that's not the case, so we will.

UTEP IN FIELD --- UTEP is also in the field and a story in the El Paso Times says UTEP will play a home game against an opponent to be determined Monday morning. So maybe this means the full field won't be set tonight.

ANNOUNCEMENT DELAYED AGAIN --- It's 9:10 and we were told once again that the announcement of UW's opponent is still on hold. A school official said they had been told it is coming at any moment, but that it isn't ready yet. So as soon as there is something official we will pass it along.

Posted by CBI

8:03 PM, Mar 16, 2008

what the hell is CBI?

Posted by UW

8:07 PM, Mar 16, 2008

To CBI...It's a tournament for teams who are not good enogh for the NCAA and NIT. I think it's new. This is the 1st I have ever heard of it.
What a year!

Posted by CBI

8:09 PM, Mar 16, 2008

UW: Thanks. This is pathetic.

Posted by dawg42478

8:10 PM, Mar 16, 2008

If we make free throws, we're sure to win this one and finish #98 in the country.

Go Dawgs?

Posted by Huskiebob

8:24 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Would rather watch the Huskies play anyone than watch the Sonics. They are really not worth wasting any time on. Get well John B fast!

Posted by B-Dog

8:25 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Hutch I'll use your tickets. I think that any extra practice time is a bonus for this team.

Posted by Rdawg

8:29 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Maybe the Sonics can give up 170 this time.

Posted by dawgpack

8:33 PM, Mar 16, 2008

I'm going to the game. I'd go to any of their games.

Posted by Romar

8:34 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Brockman for prez...romar should be sent to Montana Tech!

Posted by Romar

8:36 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Few to UW...Romar to Montana Tech. I hear there is an opening there.

Posted by Hutch

8:38 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Disregard any posts thus far by Hutch or anyone else saying they are season ticket holders that won't be going to the game. It is just Cougar fans using fake screennames. What a bunch of lowlife losers! They really need to get a life!

Posted by MT Husky

8:39 PM, Mar 16, 2008

B ob, thanks for keeping us updated.

This Husky team is a team without a lot of experience and one who faced a lot of obstacles this past season and instead of folding they continued to fight back, improve and develop as the season progressed.

This group of young players competed in arguably the most competitive conference in the country and not only nearly beat tourney invitees Pitt, WSU and Stanford; but they did defeat tourney invitees UCLA, AZ and Oregon.

Overton improved mightily as a point guard, QPon began to consistently show his potential (finally!), MBA, Holiday and even Wolfinger gave us glimpses of the fun we’ll have rooting for this team in the next few years and Brockman will be back another season.

We have an exciting freshmen class coming in next year (including red-shirt Gant) and all the hope in the world.

Yeah…the CBI might be a joke to the fans who think they deserve a tourney team EVERY year…but I am glad for an opportunity to watch this nucleus of players who will be in the tourney next year play at least one more game this season and not only do I look forward to watching them again but I’ll be cheering them on as if they were in the Big Dance.

So you other Husky fans who want to criticize the tourney, Romar, the players, Dick Vitale or even Bob Condotta…and you Coug, Duck, Wildcat,(etc.) fans who want to elevate your self-perception by thinking you’re a better person because ‘your school’ made the tourney and the Huskies didn’t…go on and pout, whine, and criticize but I will continue to look forward to Wednesday and look toward to next year’s promising season.

Go Huskies!

Go Romar!

Ummm...Go Bob!

And Go CBI (for without you I would be watching spring training on Wednesday Night)!

Posted by No Negadawgs

8:39 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Bob - I'm sure you'll clean this up (get rid of Hutch). Thanks.

Posted by AZ Dawg

8:39 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Hutch has less than NO class, and is obviously a piece of trash who snuck away from his trailer to use the computer at one of his buddies trailers. Bob, is there anything you can do about posters like him?

Posted by Matt Norling

8:40 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Unbelievable that anybody would think playing in this tournament is a bad thing. What's better, playing nobody? Amazing. For our younger players, this is a great opportunity to gain experience. For our seniors, it's a reward for all their efforts, and make no mistake, their efforts have been superb. We played very hard this season against extremely tough opposition. Geez, give the kids a break. I AM a season ticket holder and WILL use my tickets. P.S. Why is everybody afraid to use your names in your posts?

Posted by UW Alum

8:41 PM, Mar 16, 2008

love the dawgs but what a disappointing year, other than brockman (and the promising frosh) the rest of the team underachieved. i hope they are on tv for this CBI tourney because i want to see if Pondexter can continue his progression, had he played the entire year like he just played against California, the UW would have been in the tourney. I like Romar but if next year we aren't in the tourney, i have a feeling he may be on the hotseat. dentmon, if you read this, please transfer because you stink

Posted by Coug alum

8:43 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Good to see that the Huskies get to play some more bball! Sorry that some of fanbase continues to act like idiots on here. Not all WSU fans are jackasses like the few coming here tonight.

Posted by bizo

8:55 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Add UTEP and Ohio to the list. It appears that Alabama will not be in the field.

Posted by mike

8:57 PM, Mar 16, 2008

good i'll take post season play vs sitting at hime

Posted by Rex Zeitgeist

8:59 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Bob, don't feel bad about deleting profane or idiotic posts. Blogs are better without them.

Posted by Dawg Player

8:59 PM, Mar 16, 2008

we play weber state at 9pm on wednesday night at bank of america

Posted by boise

9:00 PM, Mar 16, 2008

MT, I couldn't have said it any better, so won't try (much). This team is NOT THAT FAR OFF, they have simply lost some mojo. I know that's not great analysis and go ahead and rip it apart, but it's what I see. In my opinion, any extra practice time, games, etc. may help them figure "IT" out and maybe, just maybe, build for better things in the future.

Posted by DAWG 1

9:01 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Delete Hutch and the rest of the idiots on this blog. Since UW lost to WSU, our fans have turned uggggly...not UO ugly, but pretty damn ugly.
Clean it upp DAWGS.

Posted by boise

9:01 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Posted by Hutch

9:02 PM, Mar 16, 2008

The bad Hutch posts are imposters, mostlikely jealous Cougar posters. So no need to get completely rid of Hutch, just the Hutch imposters.

Posted by bayareahusky

9:04 PM, Mar 16, 2008

man ASU got screeeeeeewed badly...if I was a sun devil I would be extremely mad about that snub...i mean UofO and UofA got in over them...did the selection committee even look at the Pac-10 standings?!?

I hope the Huskies do well in the CBI, any post-season experience is good experience...and what is with all the posters in the last couple threads banging on UW for complaining about not getting in?...there are a total of zero husky fans that think we should have gone to the NCAA or even the NIT...no one on here is claiming otherwise...

i think the issue is that the average age of the cougar fans posting on here is 12-13 years old...thankfully all the cougar alumns i know in real life aren't this ridiculous (wish i could say the same about UofO alumni :-)

...here's to next year... and I hope JB is good to go for the CBI...

Posted by Geno?

9:04 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Where is Geno and Mallory?

Posted by Scout

9:04 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Looks like there may not be a CBI, they cannot find enough teams willing to guarantee the 60K.

Posted by Geno?

9:08 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Clean it upp DAWGS

Posted by Der Dawgvater

9:10 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Scout, where'd you hear that about the CBI having trouble fielding teams?

Imposters in the blog are so lame, which is why I rarely blog. You can't be an imposter in the forum, the forum drags your registered screen name with you. I wish the blog could do that as well.

Don't worry about censorship Bob. You do a great job.

Posted by Hutch

9:16 PM, Mar 16, 2008

The CBI is actually more competitive than the NCAA and NIT. Watch this tourney turkies. UW rulz! Romar kicks ass!

Posted by cdawg88

9:16 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Dang, I think Scout hit it right on. With the brackets being pushed back further and further it makes you wonder if the CBI is having trouble finding schools willing to agree to the 60K.

Bob, could this be possible? And could this tourney really not happen?

Posted by Boy Howdy

9:19 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Post your comments/predictions at the 2008 NCAA Tournament thread: http://forums.seattletimes.nwsource.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=445097#445097

Posted by boise

9:21 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Posted by Scout

9:22 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Why are my posts getting removed?

Posted by patience

9:23 PM, Mar 16, 2008

i'd watch the dawgs play any time against anybody, so i'm happy that the season rolls on, even in a bargain basement tourney.

hopefully, the experience helps next year. next year when the pac 10 is down due to so many entering the draft, the dawgs will feature a hugely talented front line and all you miserable bandwagoneers will be back on board.

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

Auto review: A look at smaller, lighter, more-affordable BMWs new
Here's a tire-kicking experiment: Pay a visit to your BMW dealer. Weave through the sleek wares on display — but tiptoe around that strange blob...