Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 16, 2008 9:17 PM

Still no word on CBI opponent

As of 9:30 there is still no word on an opponent for UW in the CBI.

Husky coach Lorenzo Romar spoke briefly to reporters and said the team is excited to continue playing and that he wasn't worried about the inability of the tournament to announce a field tonight.

"I'm sure once it is time to go play, everything will be worked out,'' he said.

Romar said he thought UW would play a team from the West Coast and would likely play Wednesday at 6 p.m. or 7 p.m.

The only other Western teams known to be in the tournament are Nevada, UTEP --- which was also reportedly told it would host a first-round game --- and Utah.

UW has already played Utah at home once this season, beating the Utes 83-77 in the quarterfinals of the NIT Season Tip-Off in November.

Also, a list of other teams that have reportedly committed to play includes Seton Hall, Virginia, Ohio and Bradley.

Posted by Scout

9:47 PM, Mar 16, 2008

CBI needs 8 teams to put up 60K each. That money funds the rest of the tournament plus Gazelle Group profit.

Posted by Scout

9:52 PM, Mar 16, 2008

There is no question that CBI can find 16 teams willing to play. The trick is to get 8 of those teams to fund the whole tourney.

Posted by RexZeitgeist

9:54 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Thanks for the updates Bob. GO UW!

Posted by cdawg88

9:55 PM, Mar 16, 2008

For all of those whining "fans" out there embarrased and angry that UW will be playing in a tier 3 tourney, consider this:

D1 Football Teams: 119
'07-'08 Bowl Games: 32
Total teams playing in postseason: 64

54% of football teams play in the postseason.

D1 Basketball Teams: 340
NCAA Tournament Field: 65
NIT Field: 32
CBI Field: 16
Total teams playing in postseason: 113

Only 33% of D1 basketball teams play in the postseason.

Given that the UW football team couldn't qualify for the postseason even though 54% of all teams do, I consider the chance of UW basketball playing in the postseason a positive for the team and us, the fans.

Posted by dawgpack

9:58 PM, Mar 16, 2008

great analysis. it can only help us.

Posted by boise

10:01 PM, Mar 16, 2008

It's urelated to the cbi, but the Hunting Cougars story with research on reducing conflict between Cougars and humans next a picture of Tony Bennett is pretty funny!

Posted by Rooting

10:03 PM, Mar 16, 2008

So does UW fans now root for WSU and GU? I know they won't root for Oregon. Seriously, I'd like to hear what UW fans have to say.
Thanks

Posted by PNW

10:05 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Yes, root for PNW teams...even cougs

Posted by sequimdawgbob

10:07 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Also unrelated: I haven't bothered to do any research but I know ASU beat AU twice. Wow, I guess AU has that great steak going so they can just roll the ball out there and play NCAA Tournament BB! I'm a Husky but if I were a Sun Devil, I wouldn't be good company for a decade or two...

Go Dawgs!

Posted by WildWes

10:36 PM, Mar 16, 2008

I'd sooner boil myself in oil than cheer for the cougars...seriously. GO WINTHROP!!

WOOF!

Posted by troy

10:45 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Root for the Cougs?? You a communist?

Posted by brie

10:57 PM, Mar 16, 2008

i would think about rooting for them because they did applaud JB when he got up, but i refuse to align myself with the immature punks who have been posting on here tonight. ill root on stanford because i want the lopez's gone.

Posted by JugHead

11:03 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Some of us Cougs love Jon Brockman. He has never shown anything but class. I agree with what someone on this blog said...if you don't like Brockman's game, you just don't like basketball.

Posted by Matt Y

11:05 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Always root for the Pac 9 teams...what is best for the league is best for UW...Oregon will always be dead to me....hopefully they get wacked and humiliated.

Gonzaga...let's not forget that their coach ratted out Dollar for recruiting violations...and GU is always overhyped and overated...hope they lose.

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to be in the CBI vs. sit at home. I hope the game is on TV...can't wait to see the Huskies make a long run and get to the final. A three game final would be real cool...

Posted by MattY

11:07 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Posted by JugHead

11:13 PM, Mar 16, 2008

But on the flipside, and I don't say this to be argumentative or to stir things up, what if UW loses. Wouldn't it be better to just go into the off-season feeling good about the improvement of your young players and the effort that your team played with down the stretch. I agree that if you win a few games that would be a positive but there are no guarantees you will win and losing a home game to an iffy opponent could take away some of the good-will and momentum you would otherwise have had going into the off-season. Not to mention throwing another log on the anti-Romar fire. Just food for thought. I hope you win the whole thing. More NW publicity and Pac-10 pride.

Posted by Keith

11:14 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Looks like home vs. Valpo on Wednesday night. 6:00 on FCS Pacific... If the Dawgs win, they will meet the winner of Nevada and Houston.

Posted by hr2434

11:14 PM, Mar 16, 2008

So we get Valparaiso in the first round! What do you know about them Bob?

Posted by SportsGuy

11:18 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Valparaiso is the first round opponent. With the Nevada-Houston awaiting on the next round, so certainly two winnable games to get to the semis if not farther.

Posted by hr2434

11:27 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Sounds Like some of these schools ie: Seton Hall, Alabama, Couldn't decide if they wanted to play or not. I think That's what led to the delay of the bracket being posted. Interesting to see an Ivy League team in (Brown). It may not be the big dance, but it hopefully gets a few more games under our young guy's belts. Go Dawgs!

Posted by spo-dawg

11:28 PM, Mar 16, 2008

I just noticed that the championship, is a best of 3. That will certainly make for some interesting TV.

Posted by JugHead

11:30 PM, Mar 16, 2008

UW should be one of the favorites in this thing. Hopefully you will win it and ASU will win the NIT and one of our teams will win the NCAA. A Pac-10 sweep. Really no reason it couldn't happen.

Posted by WildWes

11:33 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Valparaiso is from Indiana and they play in The Horizon League. The Horizon league is represented in the NCAA's by Butler who is a 7th seed and Cleveland State in the NIT. Their RPI is 97.

Posted by almost all teams make the post season

7:50 AM, Mar 17, 2008

"D1 Basketball Teams: 340
NCAA Tournament Field: 65
NIT Field: 32
CBI Field: 16
Total teams playing in postseason: 113

Only 33% of D1 basketball teams play in the postseason."

Actualy... almost every single team in Division-1 gets to play in the post season, it's called conference tournaments. Every single team that gets to play in their conferences post season tournament is technically now in post season and in the NCAA tournament. If they win out their conference, they get to move on to the final 64, and so on and so forth

your logic is pretty much wrong, the CBI is a joke. I am glad that the players are getting a chance to keep playing and keep practicing, but thats about all the joy I am getting out of this whole thing.

Posted by wrong

7:50 AM, Mar 17, 2008

"D1 Basketball Teams: 340
NCAA Tournament Field: 65
NIT Field: 32
CBI Field: 16
Total teams playing in postseason: 113

Only 33% of D1 basketball teams play in the postseason."

Posted by Husky19

1:03 PM, Mar 17, 2008

First of all, playing in the CBI may not be a great tournament whatever. Bottom line, it allows the kids to continue playing and that is priceless for the kids and their development. Hope we win it all.

Also, I will be rooting for the Cougs but hell no to Oregon. I can't stand Oregon and everything about them. Cougs have class, a coach with class, plus I know I gotta root for D Low since he's from Hawaii.

A couple updates