Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 16, 2008 3:35 PM

Pac-10 gets six in

Seemed like the Pac-10 got a lot of respect, with WSU receiving a No. 4 seed --- higher than most projections --- and the two perceived bubble teams --- Oregon and Arizona --- getting a nine and a 10. And with UCLA a one and Stanford a three, that's three of the top 16 teams from the Pac-10.

But that didn't extend to Arizona State, which was left out despite finishing ahead of both Oregon and Arizona in the standings (getting the tiebreaker on the Ducks) and going 3-1 against those two head-to-head.

What obviously killed ASU is what we mentioned earlier --- a strength of schedule of 296 and an RPI of 88. (What also killed the Sun Devils was a bad call in the Pac-10 Tournament).

Still, six bids ties the most in conference history; and both Oregon and Arizona get in with .500 or worse records in conference play, the first time that's happened in the Pac-10.

It's also the second straight year the Pac-10 has gotten six teams invited, the most-ever over a two-year span for the conference, official validation that the conference has never been perceived to be stronger. Now the task will be following that up with some deep runs in the NCAA Tournament.

CBI BIDS DELAYED --- We've been told that the CBI field won't likely be completed until later this evening, so official news on the Huskies may not come for a few more hours.

Posted by Dawgies

4:20 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Posted by ArtemNation

4:26 PM, Mar 16, 2008

I'm glad they have the CBI now to correct the injustices of the automatic bid.

Posted by Huskiebob

4:27 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Posted by im mikey

4:29 PM, Mar 16, 2008

first guesses upon glancing at the brackets;

wsu wont get past NC, but sweet 16 should give wsu fans something to hold on for the next few decades.

ditto usc, sweet 16.

oregon barely makes it past the first game, loses big to memphis.

stanford goes to the 8 for sure, but memphis too much.

arizona faces an embarassing loss to duke in the second round.

ucla vs duke matchup in the 8. will be a great game. ucla wins and goes to the 4.

Posted by dawgies

4:37 PM, Mar 16, 2008

I don't think playing more mediocre teams helps improve the players. It didn't work with the patsies we played in the first part of the season. I think you only get better playing good teams like Arizona does.

Also, I hate the auto bids into the NCAA for the non-majors. I think the top 4 of each major conference should be in and then let the Portland States, Soth Alabama's, etc. play the bottom of major conferences in end of season tourneys to see who gets to go to the NCAA's so we really do have the best 64 teams playing. And get rid of the NIT and CBI.

Posted by brie

4:39 PM, Mar 16, 2008

dawgies can i have your season tickets next year? i promise ill enjoy the games more than you.

Posted by GenoIsMyIdol

4:55 PM, Mar 16, 2008

dawgies, the best 65 got in you ass.

UW was left out for a reason, their bad.

Posted by Ziasudra

4:57 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Listening to Bobby knight, he thought the automatic bids should be scrapped in favor of the best 64. He pointed out that the 13 to 16 seeds might win one game every 10 years; why not just invite the top 64 and be done with it? Maybe Winthrop will qualify, but make then qualify.

Posted by Ziasudra

5:03 PM, Mar 16, 2008

To genoworshipper - no the best 64 did not get in (or, 65). Don't give me that @#$%. My school got shafted by the 31 Automatic Qualifiers. We came within one lousy ref's call of beating everyone's #1 on Saturday. I'm a Hokie, and proud of it. (All my kids, and their wives went to UW), so I follow them, too.
That "best 65" is about as stupid as there is - maybe you are too.

Posted by MT Husky

5:11 PM, Mar 16, 2008

There should be no shame in a CBI invitation and acceptance. I hope Huskies do play in it just for some more playing experience for this squad and I will enjoy watching any and all games in which they play...and I hope they give their 100% too.

Go Huskies!

Posted by mike

5:14 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Why not let 256 teams in?? Bob Knight sounded like a real idiot on ESPN. Every team which got left out already had countless opportunites to be a tournament team and didn't take advantage of them. Otherwise the regular season becomes meaningless if every major conference team gets in. The tournament is just fine as it is. I'd much rather see the #1 team from a small conference than the twelfth team from the big east.

And can they stop about va tech already. One close loss does not equate to a tournament team.

Posted by GenoIsMyIdol

5:17 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Ziasudra, ZibraHumper, Ziapooper, whatever your name is, I say again, UW was left out of the 2008 NCAA Tourney for one reason – THEY ARE BAD. They are bad side ways, straight up, diagonally, or even from the 3rd dimension. They are bad….bad bad bad. Quit your typical Husky whining about why they are bad, they are bad nevertheless. There is nothing diabolical going on about all their losses, they lost because they are bad. Damn women – wake up.

Posted by ajdawg2

5:23 PM, Mar 16, 2008

here we go CBI, here we go. here we go CBI, here we go. here we go CBI, here we go. here we go CBI, here we go. here we go CBI, here we go.

Posted by Reality - Not Fantasy

5:24 PM, Mar 16, 2008

ArtemNation, if as you say 'I like how Oregon, a "bubble team" ends up being a 9 seed. Shows that the best 64 teams are not the ones that end up in the tournament.' yet the Huskies are left out doesn't this kinda tell you how bad the Huskies were this year. To me it does. The Huskies stunk up the PAC-10 this year....made the entire league appear less than stellar.

Posted by Jon

5:24 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Geno'sLover,

He was talking about the Hokies, idiot. As in Virginia Tech. Nobody is claiming UW deserved a spot.

Posted by DucksWin

5:30 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Ducks, Cougars, Zags....all in.

Huskies...well....like football...left dreaming about the good old days when they used to be good.

Posted by DucksWin

5:34 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Ducks, Cougs, Zags....NCAA.

Huskies....talking about the good old days....dreaming about when the use to be good. Talking trash when that's all they have.

Posted by mukdawg

5:37 PM, Mar 16, 2008

According to this web sit, Washington has already accepted a bid to the CBI

Posted by mattysimone

5:41 PM, Mar 16, 2008

ime to fill them out fellas!!!! can you believe nike getting that high of a seed!

espn.com fantasy tourney challenge, join league "pac10 rules" password bobc

Posted by junkman

5:47 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Huskies were as good as OR, AZ, and even WSU by the end of the season. Just didn't do enough to get in before finishing fairly strong. For all you Husky bashers with so much time on your hands to be on a Husky blog, Dawgs finished only one game behind OR and AZ. The team that really got screwed was ASU especially when they beat AZ twice and finished higher in the conference standings. I really don't care what AZ did in November, they finished 4-8.

As for the CBI, I hope the Huskies win it - every game our younger players get is a benefit.

Posted by Reality - Not Fantasy

5:52 PM, Mar 16, 2008

junkman...if UW was as good as OR, AZ, or even WSU as you say they would have at least a high NCCA Tourney seed but they aren't. You are drunk. Be a good reliable Husky fan and go back to your booze and dope.

Posted by mukdawg

5:52 PM, Mar 16, 2008

The Huskies were a good team this year. They were in almost every game. Their downfall clearly was free throw shooting! Pitt game, @USC, @Stanford, Cal, WSU, @WSU could have all had a different outcome if we would simply hit free throws at even a 70% rate. This is a simple fix for next year.

Posted by Reality - Not Fantasy

5:58 PM, Mar 16, 2008

milkdawg...you can join jointdawg when he lights up....maybe a little Boones Farm wine with it.

Posted by Ziasudra

6:03 PM, Mar 16, 2008

To Mukdawg- you are right - UW had/has a decent team, but it just fell short. Free throws were an obvious problem. Another was staying in a zone at inappropiate times. Another was the selection of point guards at inappropiate times - cost us at least three games, including Pitt.
(Another broken record. . . )

Posted by Boy Howdy

6:04 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Dumb ol' Bobby Knight picks Pitt to win the NC on ESPN. And shockingly, Dick Vitale predicts someone other than Duke (UNC) to win it all.

Posted by Reality - Not Fantasy

6:35 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Reality Not Fantasy....when you attempt to impersonate someone you should at least get their name right,

Just another Husky idiot....damn there are plenty on this site.

Posted by LFPDawg

6:39 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Holy @#$! Dickie V. chose someone besides Duke? The world is coming to an end... seriously.

No duh the Dawgs weren't good enough to get in, I don't think any dawg fan would argue that. However, I do agree that auto bids are a joke. See the NIT last year. In the NCAA tourney I learn of more schools every year that I didn't need to find out existed, by watching them get slaughtered on National television. Wonder how that play in game feels, knowing they're about to get killed the next game they play.

Posted by bomberboy

7:28 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Junkman...I love the Dawgs in any sport but get a grip. They were NOT very good this year, not good at all. They had their moment...but didn't finish too many games. By the way In the last two years the top two teams (excluding WSU) in the PAC-10 were UCLA & Stanford (this season) and UCLA and Oregon last season. Over those two seasons WSU played those teams a total of NINE times.....and won ZERO! Yup, they were 0-9 against the best. That is how they got suchj a great draw last year and gagged in round two. I look for them to do the same this year. ND will dump them.

Posted by Boy Howdy

7:52 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Post your comments/predictions at the 2008 NCAA Tournament thread: http://forums.seattletimes.nwsource.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=445097#445097

Posted by sunny.in.nanning

7:59 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Interesting tidbit about Duke I just read on ESPN:

Last time Duke beat a team with a better seed than itself: March 26th, 1994, when the second-seeded Blue Devils beat No. 1 seed Purdue to make the Final Four.

Posted by Huh

8:12 PM, Mar 16, 2008

I guess I don't understand why we are buying our way into a 3rd rate tournamnet that nobody cares about. I'm a season ticket holder but will not go watch the Huskies play Sam Ho-ever State. Are you kidding? Let's just admit the season is over, another big disappointing one at that, and sit back and watch some good basketball in the NCAA tourney. I don't even think the NIT should be held let alone the CBI...If I was one of the team, I would want to keep playing. Why deny them that. A couple of these kids will not play another college game. The others will get better by more experience. Whatever Dawgies thinks is only one opinion - his - and my opinion is the opposite. We'll see what happens later tonight.

Posted by sunny.in.nanning

8:23 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Interesting tidbit about Duke I just read on ESPN.

Posted by GoWSU@yahoo.com

8:53 PM, Mar 16, 2008

ducks...zags...cougs

Posted by ArtemNation

10:11 PM, Mar 16, 2008

Reality - Not Fantasy -

I agree that the Huskies weren't good enough this year to make it to the tournament, but I don't understand how the Ducks being a 9 seed shows this. If anything it would show that if a team that the Huskies finished 1 game behind in the Pac-10 standings and beat this season could pull off a 9 seed, maybe the Huskies would have been deserving of one of the 28 spots below that.

My point was that bubble teams should be fighting for the 15 and 16 seeds, not 9 or nothing.

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

4 automakers invest in plants; Honda upgrades Fit bumpernew
Toyota plans to expand production of its Highlander SUV. (Toyota) 4 automakers reveal big plant changes A variety of automakers announced major moves ...