Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 14, 2008 10:15 AM

Friday morning thoughts

Back from the Pac-10 Tournament, which so far hasn't done anything to help anybody other than improve seeding for the four conference teams already solidily in the NCAA Tournament.

Helping the conference get more NCAA bids was one of the stated goals when the Pac-10 revived the tournament in 2002. But so far, I don't think any team has ever gotten an NCAA bid due to anything it has done in the tournament --- there has been no low seed winning it all to get in, for instance.

Given the balance of the conference this year, it was thought that this might be the tournament where that changed. Maybe Arizona would surge from its No. 7 slot to win the whole thing and assure that it gets invited.

Instead, the six games so far have been won by the six favorites (though a lower seed, Cal was favored against UW by two and beat the spread by a precious point).

That leaves the Pac-10's three bubble teams --- Oregon. Arizona and Arizona State --- sweating it out as Selection Sunday comes.

ESPN's Joe Lunardi, however, has all three getting bids in his latest Bracketology projection this morning though he lists ASU and Oregon as two of his last three in, meaning they shouldn't make plane reservations just yet.

If any get sidelined, they will have some legitimate reasons for arguing. Arizona has the highest RPI of the bunch at 39, but both Oregon and ASU swept the Wildcats, and the Ducks went 3-1 against the other two.

But each also had a chance to make a real statement at the Pac-10 Tournament and none did (acknowledging that ASU got fairly hosed by that call on Jeff Pendergraph at the end of the game).

Since tournament money is shared by all 10 schools in the conference, it helps everyone to have as many teams invited as possible. So much as some of you may not want to see, say, Oregon get in, the bean counters on Montlake won't mind (it's a complicated formula that makes it impossible to say exactly how much each school will get, but it's significant).

--- As for the Huskies, they are back home waiting for a bid from one of the other tournaments, most likely the CBI. As I wrote today, the CBI is demanding a $60,000 guarantee from schools that host games. UW officials say they are willing to meet that requirement, which probably means they are going to get in and host a game. The NIT-ology web site today has the Huskies as the No. 1 seed in the West Region of the CBI, a change from yesterday when it didn't list UW at all (maybe just an oversight). The projection has UW hosting Cal State-Fullerton which would be a somewhat intriguing game. The Titans are a run-and-gun team led by former WSU Cougar Josh Akognon, who in his last appearance in Hec Ed hit a game-winning shot that started WSU on its seven-game win streak over the Huskies. The Titans, however, are still alive in the Big West Tournament and hoping for greater things.

--- I talked to Scott Woodward down here and he said again that he is "leaning toward'' applying to become UW's full-time AD. Things are starting to move on that as President Mark Emmert has formed a search committee to compile a short list of candidates. Target date for a new hire is May-June.

I'll make some picks a little later.

Posted by thejanitor

11:32 AM, Mar 14, 2008

Bob.

The only thought on my mind this Friday is:

WILL ISAIAH THOMAS QUALIFY?

the janitor

Posted by Mike D

11:40 AM, Mar 14, 2008

You have to think that if any of the three bubble teams don't make the tourney, they'll be in the NIT, which further increases the likelihood of the CBI for UW, as I'm sure the NTI doesn't want to the tourney to become the Pac-10 Tourney II.

Is there any reason to believe UW has a shot at the NIT at this point for being snubbed last year, or will it simply come down to record? The NIT is actually shaping up to be a solid tourney if the likes of Florida, Syracuse, Ohio St., Cal, etc. are invited.

11:56 AM, Mar 14, 2008

Janitor --- I think IT will make it. But as I detailed a few weeks ago, probably not going to happen overnight. He'll probably have some work to do during the summer, maybe, ala Overton. But the general thinking is that he's going to make it as he's said to be doing well in school.

Posted by Dave " The Meatball" Armistead

12:29 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Martin- Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but ASU will be left out of the NCAA tourney, and are definitely NIT bound. Oregon is out too. ASU lost to Illinois and Nebraska. Couple these losses in with the fact that the SOS and RPI are weak and that spells N.I.T. Oregon's losses to St. Marys, Oakland, and Nebraska will also haunt them.

Of the teams that my Cats lost to, none of them (even Washington) were below .500 in wins. Face the facts kids, the Meatball was right a few weeks ago...only 5 teams from the Pac-10 will make the tourney. UCLA,Stanford,WSU,USC, and Arizona.

Even though Lute took the year off, we make it to the tourney because of him.....he is the one that set-up the Top Schedule. Thanks Lute..can't wait to have you back!

Posted by mattysimone

12:55 PM, Mar 14, 2008

join our bracket meatball i wanna see how far you take your cats!!! you to geno with your cougs!

1:45 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Matty Simone --- Can you send me an e-mail to bcondotta@seattletimes.com? Thanks, Bob

Posted by steven

1:46 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Bob...any sense from talking with the Pac 10 powers-that-be that the Staples Center is not working out as far as a venue is concerned? I was flipping back and forth between ESPN's Louisville vs Pitt at MSG and FSN's USC vs ASU at Staples and the environments could not have been more different. One packed and rocking...the other a dead mausoleum. I don't get it...why continue to showcase your league tournament in empty venues? The pac 10 leadership has serious credibility issues as far as I'm concerned. I hope P. Siva and other kids looking to play in hot games don't see what is going on in LA at Staples. What a disgrace.

Posted by steven

1:47 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Posted by steven

1:48 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Posted by Coug4Life

1:50 PM, Mar 14, 2008

So in other words, UW can buy a spot in a third-rate post-season tourney for $60K. Way to go Dawgs!

Now Bow Down...and kiss my Coug ass!

Posted by JugHead

2:07 PM, Mar 14, 2008

I am just as embarrassed by some of the things said on this blog by Coug fans as I'm sure some of you Huskies are by some of your fans comments. That being said, I am a little tired of hearing about how stupid Cougs are. This is a basketball blog and when you look at our basketball players they stack up pretty well academically to any in the conference. We had 2/5's of the all-academic team last year and this year Cowgill has been named the scholar-athlete of the year. Our hoopsters don't have to take a back seat to anybody in the conference on the court or off it.

Posted by dawgsupporter

2:08 PM, Mar 14, 2008

I thought Romar was a good coach, but I'm not sure anymore. 2 straight crummy seasons, get this guy make the players better. I know Bobby Jones really improved but what has happened to most of his players. Brockman looks good, except he missing free throws more now than ever in his career, also missing way to many lay ups. Don't they have lay up pratice at practice. Dentmon still Dentmon, not much change from his freshmen year. Qpon looked more like a freshmen this year than last year, what happened to him all season. Smith looks worse now than when he was a freshmen, has he ever put the ball on the floor?
Wallace can't hit free throws, ever thought of having him shoot under handed? He probably couldn't be any worse.

Where's the improvement?

Posted by Coug4Life

2:09 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Yeah, and meanwhile the UW fans sit and pray that their next savior Isiah Thomas can qualify academically. They recruit kids that are half retarded and hope they can just squeak by and get to play.

Posted by Wolf!

2:23 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Coug4Life-

I would like to see you go up to Brandon Roy or Venoy Overton and tell them they are half-retarded.

Posted by Spanaway Dave

2:41 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Jughead,

I completely agree with your post. I find the behavior of some on this ... or any ... blog just embarrassing.

Face it, all these young guys are out there working their butts off, accomplishing something. They're playing big-time college sports full-time while going to college full-time ... well, at least most of them. The point is they're ACCOMPLISHING something. All of us here in this blog? We're watching and criticizing!! Let me re-emphasize that. We're WATCHING AND CRITICIZING!!!!

Those whose quality of life and self-esteem apparently depends upon the outcome of a game they are only watching have some issues. Those who insult, belittle, or actually appear to HATE others for their choices in entertainment have some REALLY SERIOUS issues.

I absoutely have my favorite teams and players, but I recognize that every single player on every single team I watch is DOING something. My perspective is solely spectatorship. There are certainly some here that fail to grasp their part in this whole thing. That's unfortunate. It's actually sad.

Posted by TTT

2:42 PM, Mar 14, 2008

You can hang the CBI Participant 2008 banner right next to the football team's fictional national championship banner.

Posted by WSU academics = oxymoron

2:47 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Really, a WSU player on the all academic team? Do the voters take into account the SOAS(Strength of Academic Schedule) for Cougars? There's a reason all the morons from my HS had to got there...they couldn't get into an ACADEMIC university like UW.

Posted by Spanaway Dave

3:49 PM, Mar 14, 2008

It shows a definite lack of intellect to start a post "All you Husky fans ....", "All you cougars ... ", or "Every duck fan ...".

It implies a level of intelligence inadequate to discern detail beyond the most simplistic distinctions.

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

Donate food for LeMay discount; tips to prep car for winternew
LeMay visitors can donate food to get a museum discount Throughout November, LeMay — America's Car Museum will offer a discount to those who don...