Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 13, 2008 11:06 AM

The day after

One of the fun things about the Pac-10 tournament is that it is also something of a convention for the conference, the one time people who work in anything connected to the Pac-10 get together.

Meaning, stayed up a little too late last night, so the day after report is a little more delayed than usual.

Here's my game story which hopefully adds some more detail to the events at the end of the game.

Columnist Bud Withers took a look ahead to next year for the Huskies, which as he says, looms large for the Lorenzo Romar regime.

Our UW notebook includes an item on Jon Brockman saying he will attend the NBA Pre-Draft camp this summer if invited.

In a quote on that topic that didn't make it into the paper, Brockman said that "I don't think it would be a bad idea. I still have plans and expect to come back. But at the same time, they allow you to do that one year (go to the camp and come back if desired) so I don't think there would be any hurt in doing that.''

But Brockman apparently hasn't gotten an invitation yet.

The Cal coverage tended to focus on the Bears getting a rematch with UCLA today, and how the prospect of that helped inspire them all week. Here's another version of that from the San Jose Mercury News which also has some insight from the Cal side on the last-minute shot by Ryan Anderson. Other than the offensive rebounds, which we touched on last night, the theme afterward seemed to be that Cal simply made a few more plays than the Huskies, ala the Anderson shot or the Patrick Christopher steal and dunk that keyed the 16-0 run.

TODAY'S GAMES:

Some quick thoughts and picks on the games today.

ARIZONA STATE VS. USC --- Great matchup of O.J. Mayo and James Harden. By the way, word down here seems to be that Harden is returning (one ASU-affiliated person told me it's "99 percent'' he'll be back). If so, the Sun Devils could be one of the favorites in the conference next season. As for this game, I like USC due to what will amount to something of a home-court advantage and wanting to show better than the game in Tempe a few weeks ago. USC 69, ASU 61.

UCLA VS. CAL --- As noted above, Bears highly motivated to get another shot at the Bruins. But this is also a tough turnaround, tipping off about 18 hours after finishing the win against the Huskies. Cal did it last year, upsetting UCLA in this round after beating Oregon State the night before. But hard to see them doing it again. And you figure UCLA's pretty tired of hearing about how they won only because of the officiating. UCLA 71, CAL 59.

WSU VS. OREGON --- Ducks may need this one to get into the NCAAs while the Cougars are playing for seeding. Ducks have always seemed to save their best for the Staples Center, winning this tournament twice under Ernie Kent. But their days of having WSU's number are over. WSU 69, OREGON 63.

ARIZONA VS. STANFORD --- Arizona can all but clinch a bid with a win, but Cardinal also needs a win to improve its seeding after the two losses last week. Figure Stanford to wear down the Wildcats late. STANFORD 72, ARIZONA 69.

Posted by justin

12:31 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Any guesses on what Bud Withers means when he writes that "Without their best player, war horse Jon Brockman, the Huskies did nothing to shame themselves against Cal putting out, playing hard, believing in a miracle run."

Putting out!?

12:55 PM, Mar 13, 2008

I'm still here, and my Cougs are still in the tourney. Just wanted to let you all know. I am going to post six times for every one time someone critcizes me. So you see, you Husky fans are really in control of whether I post or not.

Posted by Ziasudra

12:56 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Many of them gave good efforts, but not all. On the other hand, many helped lose the game (but perhaps not all). I would sum it up as a "team" loss, in whatever sense you want to understand that.

Posted by Go Away Cougfan

12:59 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Oh my God you are a ridiculous little man. Do you sit at your computer all day and then jack off when some other pathetic loser compliments you on one of you stupid insights? To say that you have "friends" on this blog just shows how out of touch you are with reality. This isn't the real world loser. Go outside, breathe some fresh air, get laid. Do something else with you life other than blogging (on another team's blog no less) all day long. You are pathetic. Have some balls like Geno and at least manage to piss people off.

Posted by bd

1:00 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Bob:
I know you're in LA (not to mention that you cover the MEN'S team), but if you hear anything about the Katie Redmon situation with the Husky women, would you pass it on? Losing 3 frosh in a year - 2 big impact players - is a big deal.

Posted by Ziasudra

1:04 PM, Mar 13, 2008

To Cougfan - I must have missed a couple of days of posts. I always thought your posts were calm, tolerant, and worth reading. Now all of a sudden, you are showing hostility - did some posters insult you, or similar? I may have missed such, as I said.
On the other hand, if you feel insulted, and want to post 100 times a day without saying anything useful, then have your next half-dozen on me. I mentioned months ago, that with the posters name highly visible, we can pick and choose whose to read more easily.
Sorry to lose you, but. . . .

1:12 PM, Mar 13, 2008

The 12:55 post was not mine...even more pathetic that people want to be me.

Posted by Ziasudra

1:14 PM, Mar 13, 2008

OK - thanks for the clarification. . . .

Posted by wkdlm@hotmail.com

1:15 PM, Mar 13, 2008

There is not one hostile post that I have made nor one that is trash talking.

IF you cannot pick a name and stick with it on a blog that "is not the real world" I think that might be a problem. Posting over and over again using different aliases is really trite!

1:18 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Um, whoever is trying to post as me and then to act like I put my email on there...come on!

1:29 PM, Mar 13, 2008

At the advice of my attorney, from now on all my posts will have the following disclaimer attached:

"The preceeding post is the intellectual property of 'Cougfan'. Any reproduction, copying, or quoting is stricly prohibited."

Posted by Bill P

1:30 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Who's your attorney? Geno?

Posted by lostriver99

1:38 PM, Mar 13, 2008

I am a longtime Husky hoops fan and wanted to see if I am the only one who is tired of watching the run and gun, lack of fundamental basketball that Romar is putting on the floor. Many of the players have a ton of heart but are lacking the following.
1. Ability to set screens.
2. Move without the ball and get open.
3. Pass the ball and keep it moving.
4. Hustle back on defense.
5. Block out when a shot goes up.
6. Actually run an offense that has more than 3 sets so the other team can't predict every move.

Anyhow, if Tyrone ran his football team like this he would be in trouble. I think we need to start coaching the fundamentals again in Montlake. Good luck on the NIT.

1:39 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Still not my posts

1:41 PM, Mar 13, 2008

The post that says "still not my posts" is not my post. I don't know who is doing this but they are really acting quite childish.

1:42 PM, Mar 13, 2008

The post that says "still not my posts" is not my post is not my post. This one and the "still not my posts" one are mine.

1:46 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Not going to make me go away

Posted by Geno

1:47 PM, Mar 13, 2008

As Cougfan's attorney, I advise whoever is posting under his name to cease and desist from such behavior. Identity theft is a serious crime and is an actionable offense.

1:48 PM, Mar 13, 2008

I'll be back tomorrow. "work"day is over

1:49 PM, Mar 13, 2008

I didn't post the thing about not making me go away. I think my friends on this blog know I would not act so childishly. But, having said that, I am not going to go away.

1:50 PM, Mar 13, 2008

As you all know, I don't post after 2:00 on Thusdays. Therefore, any posts after this one are not mine and should be disregarded. I will be back tomorrow and I hope that we can all act like adults from now on. And Geno is not my attorney.

1:56 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Geno and I have a lot of important stuf to talk about. #1 issue is how to sue some of the guys on here. TJ-your goin down...Ziusudra-down, and anyone else who disses me...down!

Geno-cook me that pizza now!

2:26 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Please ignore the posts above. All but two of them are not mine. They are obviously a cry for help from a seriously disturbed Husky fan. Despite the groundswell of hatred being directed at me. I will once again exercise my right to the freedom of speech:

On to todays's picks:

Cal over UCLA: Cal played the Bruins tough on Saturday and UCLA escaped because of a horrendous officiating call, tonight will be different. Cal will take advantage of a rusty UCLA squad and pull out the upset of the year. (74-72)

Stanford over UofA: Stanford, besides getting jobbed by the officials an Thursday (Is there a theme?) while losing to UCLA, has been playing pretty well. Stanford got a day off yesterday and will be ready. Despite a solid effort, Arizona loses a close one. Punch the Cats ticket to the NIT! (68-61)

ASU over USC: Are both teams dancing? Most assuredly the Trojans are in. ASU was helped by Syracuse losing yesterday and if 'Nova loses this morning and Dayton loses to X, I think they are in win or lose. With a win ASU is in. The Devils escape withe the W! (65-60)

UofO over WSU: Oregon has more wins in the PX tourney than any other conference team (I think) and is playing well off of a weekend sweep of the AZ schools. WSU has swept them this year and has shown some moxy in the process by playing tough D against the 3. However, I will not be surprised if the Ducks bombard the Cougs with myriad 3's and come out with a much needed victory that assures them a bid. WSU playing for a 5 seed in the tourney, but don't quite get it done. (67-65)

Posted by Wanda

2:36 PM, Mar 13, 2008

I don't normally post. I am usually just a silent voyeur but I wanted to say that I am glad you are back to your old self Cougfan. You are one of the biggest reasons why I frequent this blog so don't let these haters run you off. Other than Bob, you are the best contributor to these discussions. I thought it was funny that you would no post after 2PM, I know I have read your stuff on here later than that on Thursdays. But Cal over UCLA? Do you really see this happening?

Posted by Seattle Sports Blog

3:18 PM, Mar 13, 2008

There are 4 major areas that seem to trouble this team and I think a good deal of it falls on Romar and his assistants:

1. FT shooting: absurd to be a NCAA school and shoot around 50% from the stripe. You can STILL teach college players good skills and this was an area that I guess he just gave up on. I watch the likes of Wallace who never bends his knees when shooting a FT....cardinal sin right there.

2. Defense: Often it seems that Romar doesn't seem to understand when to go man vs. zone. Arizona the last 3-4 years has lit up UW's zone defense from 3 land and Romar continues to use a zone against them.

3. In bounds plays: Not something you think about too much, but there are half a dozen in bound plays each game under the basket. Good teams like NC and Louisville score on at least 2-3 of those plays per game. UW? They consistently through the ball to the backcourt for the "safe" play. Romar needs to work on screening and devising better inbound plays

4. Weight room: Is it just me, or does the whole UW team look soft compared to the rest of the Pac-10? It's probably why half the team wears oversized tee-shirts under their jerseys. They are a soft looking team and I don't see Romar as the type to discipline them to hit the weights.

Just my two cents....

6:44 AM, Mar 14, 2008

Wanda: I did not pick Cal over UCLA, it was the other way around.

I rarely post after 2, but sometimes I am still around.

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

Honda fuel-cell vehicle nears launchnew
(Honda) Honda FCV Honda debuted this fuel-cell vehicle concept in November, showcasing the vehicle the automaker expects to launch in Japan in March 2...