Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 13, 2008 2:33 PM

NIT-ology says no to Huskies

The latest NIT-ology is out and it doesn't include Washington, saying that the Huskies "played themselves out of the NIT'' with its loss to Cal last night.

Here's the link.

Their mock bracket also includes a projection for the CBI. As you can see, it also doesn't include the Huskies, which means these guys think UW is done for the year. But Husky officials here are optimistic that they will at least get a call fom the CBI, which is thought to prefer big-name schools that may draw a decent TV audience and/or schools with large fan bases.

UW coach Lorenzo Romar said last night he thought the Huskies would get a bid to something but that "I thought that last year, too.'' Last year, the Huskies scheduled a practice for Sunday night, anticipating an NIT bid. Romar said last night he hadn't decided yet if he will schedule any practices or wait until after UW gets its name called. If UW goes to the CBI it will be a quick turnaround as first-round games are Tuesday and Wednesday.

JONES TO MIAMI: Also, in case you missed it, Bobby Jones signed a 10-day contract with Miami.

AND FINALLY: I'm still in LA, taking a flight back tonight, and still at the tournament. For anyone out there, did the call on Jeff Pendergraph at the end of the ASU-USC game look as bad on TV as it did in person? That call might have cost the Pac-10 a little bit of money (cash that is shared by all 10 conference teams) if that loss keeps the Sun Devils out of the NCAA Tournament.

Posted by B

2:59 PM, Mar 13, 2008

It looked worse on TV. Especially seeing it in slow-mo over and over. It was a clean play and should've been a no call. I think we're all tired of pac-10 officials. They really need to do something about this before next season. Its absolutely terrible.

Posted by Master B

3:02 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Yes, it looked that bad.

Posted by shane/olympia

3:03 PM, Mar 13, 2008

the called looked a little rough the ball out of the clynider but it was called over the back so the dunk never really matterd. it looked bad but still not as bad as the ucla calls last week.

if you want to somthing bad it was the second half of the uconn and west V game. you couldn't see 2 possesions in a row with out fouls - both teams were in the bonus by around the 12 min mark

Posted by duponthusky

3:04 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Bob, I saw the Pendergraph call and could not believe what I saw. It might have been the worst call I have ever seen. If Pendergraph was over the back he was over back of his own teammate, Pendergraph made a great play. It's unfortunate that the officials have to be the one's to decide the game, let the players decide the outcome. Not only was it a bad call but ASU's season could be at stake. I think the Pac-10 officials have been very pro L.A. teams within the past week. Stanford vs. UCLA and Cal vs. UCLA. Do you think the Pac 10 wants a UCLA as a #1 seed and USC in the tourney?

3:08 PM, Mar 13, 2008

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so I don't think any calls are made with any premeditation. That said, I think USC was in the tournament no matter what so that wouldn't be a reason to make that call on ASU.

Posted by Seattle Sports Blog

3:17 PM, Mar 13, 2008

There are 4 major areas that seem to trouble this team and I think a good deal of it falls on Romar and his assistants:

1. FT shooting: absurd to be a NCAA school and shoot around 50% from the stripe. You can STILL teach college players good skills and this was an area that I guess he just gave up on. I watch the likes of Wallace who never bends his knees when shooting a FT....cardinal sin right there.

2. Defense: Often it seems that Romar doesn't seem to understand when to go man vs. zone. Arizona the last 3-4 years has lit up UW's zone defense from 3 land and Romar continues to use a zone against them.

3. In bounds plays: Not something you think about too much, but there are half a dozen in bound plays each game under the basket. Good teams like NC and Louisville score on at least 2-3 of those plays per game. UW? They consistently through the ball to the backcourt for the "safe" play. Romar needs to work on screening and devising better inbound plays

4. Weight room: Is it just me, or does the whole UW team look soft compared to the rest of the Pac-10? It's probably why half the team wears oversized tee-shirts under their jerseys. They are a soft looking team and I don't see Romar as the type to discipline them to hit the weights.

Just my two cents....

Posted by jumper

3:19 PM, Mar 13, 2008

I am tired of people saying it is such a hard job to be a referee. It is not that freaken hard. These guys need to do a better job. Period. It is pathetic. And people need to quit saying "that is the breaks". Because its gotten so out of control that is not the breaks.

A bad break is when the possesion arrow is in Cals favor so they get the game winning three pointer. Bad calls that cost games are inexcusable.

Posted by Ted Robinson

3:28 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Bob:

I thought the call was marginal. It could have been called either way, a no-call(probably best calle) or over the back. It was not (just barley) offensive goaltending

Posted by NateDawgUS

3:33 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Yes Bob, it looked worse. Horrible PAC-10 refs show their skills again.

Posted by mattysimone

3:36 PM, Mar 13, 2008

sorry fellas I keep posting this but every time I do i get like 5 more so sorry again!

up to 25 people! Tell all your friends lets get up over a 100 in this thing!!! espn.com go to fantasy then tourney challenge. you have to click join league and its Pac10 Rules ( not the pac10 rules) and password is bobc and you should see a few familiar names, im m simmons. where is bob , geno and meatball?

Posted by duponthusky

3:40 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Ted tell me what is a marginal call, it is either a call or a no call and in this case it was too obvious that it should have been a no call. Ted if you were the ref in this game with twenty seconds left, with post-season berths and seeding involved, what call would you make? These players work too hard for a ref to determine the outcome.

Posted by Geno

4:08 PM, Mar 13, 2008

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

I know what you all are thinking - 'Wait until next year....we are gonna be bigger, better, faster, smarter....we'll show them'

Blah blah blah blah......

Soon you all can sit yourselves down and watch the COUGARS play :-)

Oh, before I forget, you guys gonna blame the PAC-10 officials for this too??

Posted by Geno

4:54 PM, Mar 13, 2008

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Let me tell you what i am thinking - I know that the miricale run of 2 years is almost over so i am going to gloat and make an ass of myself on this blog beause next year when the cougs suck i will be nowhere to be found

I'm going to sit down with my roommate (my mother) and watch the COUGARS play :-)

Oh, before I forget, i'm gay. anyone interested?

Posted by espn disses on the pac ten

5:03 PM, Mar 13, 2008

HAHA ASU/USC highlights on espn and the host said "pac ten officiating stinks. It stinks in football, it stinks in basketball".

THE PAC TEN IS A JOKE. Called out on national television.

Posted by AdamW

5:12 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Yea... It was a no call... Pac-10 officals have really made donkeys of themselves this year. Reffing across the country has been on a steady decline for awhile now. There have been way too many examples of calls at the end of games that should never have been made. It's a national trend that revealled itself again in LA.

Posted by JugHead

6:25 PM, Mar 13, 2008

I was watching another game on ESPN where an identical play happened and the announcer jokingly said that it was a good dunk in their conference but it is a foul in the Pac-10. Our officials are starting to take a pretty good beating on a national basis....and deservedly so. One of the few things that Cougs, Dawgs, and Ducks all can agree on is that the refs are deciding way too many games in our league.

Posted by huskiefan@aol.com

7:23 PM, Mar 13, 2008

I may be the only 3rd generation Husky alumnus football letter winner on this blog (yes, both my grandparents graduated from the UW in 1925), but am I the only one who is convinced we have the absolutely worst major sport athletic program 1) in the PAC 10, and 2) in the history of the UW? I don't ask this question lightly: I have programs and student body annuals from the 1040's, and Seattle Times sports sections from the 1970's. Its not just their record (last or 2nd to last in each category), its their lack of comptetitive attitude. We can't beat the 9th place team (Cal), we have set a record of futility against WSU in basketball, only a fluke vicotry in the 2006 Apple Cup saved 3 losses in a row to them in football....WHAT IS GOING ON? And, I was shocked at how the Columns magazine described the Turner years in the edition I read today. "He restored integrity to the program.....and the women's volleyball team is great". I am paraphrasing, but am just sick of this. What is the Husky nation going to do?????

Posted by Coug4Life

8:11 PM, Mar 13, 2008

All you Huskies should go ahead and save the NIT-oloy link to your favorites so you can refer back to it year after year.

Posted by Coug4Life

8:52 PM, Mar 13, 2008

The CBI projection has Brown in. That's right, UW is viewed as being worse than Brown. For those of you that don't know, Brown was the second best team in the Ivy League. You all must be so proud.

Posted by didn't earn one

8:56 PM, Mar 13, 2008

As a lifelong Husky fan, I have to say I don't think this team has earned post season playing time. Last year I felt differently. But at .500 and losing key game after key game, I just don't think this squad deserves a post season birth. Sorry.

Posted by coug4life has no brain

9:01 PM, Mar 13, 2008

see you're still here coug4life. it's funny. our program means so little to you, yet you're on here daily spouting off. the fact that you are on here only goes to prove that you're inferiority complex continues. if you honestly thought that wazzu was so great, and UW was so bad, you wouldn't waste your time here. well, thanks for caring. your inability to go away proves that you still know we're better. of course, as a cougar, you're too dumb to understand that concept.

Posted by Jmnor55

7:01 AM, Mar 14, 2008

Romar needs to go. Seattle is five times as big as Pullman, yet our team is outperformed by a bunch of hayseeds and farm kids.

I think Washington should make a pitch for Dave Rose of BYU or Steve Alford of New Mexico. Alford coached in the Big 10, which thanks to goody two shoes Howland, our conference is turning into a defensive conference. Rose is from a smaller school, but he's done a good job at BYU and the way things are at UW, we don't get to choose the cream of the crop. In other words, we're not Kentucky or Indiana or North Carolina where any good candidate will come to us based on reputation.

Posted by Ryan S

10:51 AM, Mar 14, 2008

JMNORR55....you have GOT to be kidding me!

Posted by LA Husky

3:50 PM, Mar 14, 2008

At what point will the PAC 10 start taking responsibility for the poor quality of their refs across the board--football, basketball, whatever? HORRIBLE.

A couple updates