Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 13, 2008 4:50 PM

More on CBI

The Huskies headed home to Seattle this morning after a shorter-than-hoped-for stay at the Pac-10 Tournament.

What they are hoping for now is a bid from either the NIT or the new College Basketball Invitational.

And while at least one university (Missouri) says it is not interested in the CBI due to a $60,000 guarantee from schools that host games (read about that here), the Huskies remain interested. UW officials say they think they can make enough money to pay off the guarantee.

The tournament also gained some additional credibility when it announced last week that it had reached a deal with Fox College Sports to televise many of its games.

Here's a link to the CBI's web site which also includes a bracket and TV schedule.

The CBI may be UW's best hope now that the Huskies are 16-16, which may make it difficult to get into the NIT. The NIT passed on UW last year when the Huskies were 19-13.

Posted by Geno

6:48 PM, Mar 13, 2008

COUGARS up TWENTY POINTS near half time against Oregon. The Cougars are playing like a well oiled machine.

Man....just bring on the next victim....errrr...I mean next opponent.

Posted by Geno

6:50 PM, Mar 13, 2008

CBI...is that a new Government economic index??

Posted by Geno

7:28 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Husky Blog

Posted by huskiefan@aol.com

7:29 PM, Mar 13, 2008

I may be the only 3rd generation Husky alumnus football letter winner on this blog (yes, both my grandparents graduated from the UW in 1925), but am I the only one who is convinced we have the absolutely worst major sport athletic program 1) in the PAC 10, and 2) in the history of the UW? I don't ask this question lightly: I have programs and student body annuals from the 1040's, and Seattle Times sports sections from the 1970's. Its not just their record (last or 2nd to last in each category), its their lack of comptetitive attitude. We can't beat the 9th place team (Cal), we have set a record
of futility against WSU in basketball,
only a fluke vicotry in the 2006 Apple Cup
saved 3 losses in a row to them in football.WHAT IS GOING ON? And, I was shocked at how the UW Alumni magazine described the Turner years in the edition I read today. "He restored integrity to the program.and the women's volleyball team is great". I am paraphrasing, but am just sick of this. What is the Husky nation going to do?

Posted by huskiefan@aol.com

7:35 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Are we the worst major sport athletic department in the 1) Pac 10? and 2) the history of the UW? Combine basketball and football. We have set a record of futility in basketball against WSU, and except for a fluke victory in the 2006 Apple Cup, we would have lost 3 in a row to them as well. We can't beat Cal, the 9th place team. What is Husky Nation going to do about this? Plus, th Columns magazine today, made it sound like Turner had done a great job!!!??? He has restored integrity and improved women's volleyball.......what is going on?????

Posted by huskiefan@aol.com

7:38 PM, Mar 13, 2008

sorr.the computer didn't like my editing of my blog....

Posted by MT Dawg

8:01 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Can't say that I disagree with you huskiefan. Grew up in watching the Huskies from the late 70's until now. I just don't think some people really understand what has happened to U-Dub's athletic program. I guess when you hire an AD that aspires to make our program like that of oregon's, something has to be wrong.

Posted by Geno

8:12 PM, Mar 13, 2008

What's happended to UW sports? Hell, nothing's happened. They've been so-so their entire existence except for a few seasons of good football.

Can any of you you tell me where you think they've had any semblence of a basketball dynasty? I'm not talking a year or two here or a year or two there....I'm talking NORTH CAROLINA type of basketball dynasty. Sure they did good during the time Roy was there but come one, two...three good years does not make any sort of dynasty. If that's the case, the same can be said of the the recent WSU run.

UW has not done diddidily squat for a long time....get over yourselves.

Gotta make this short...and run. Sorry.

Posted by Geno

8:15 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Oh...almost forgot - COUGAR's win!!!!!!!

Now...gotta watch SURVIVOR....family time!

Posted by Geno

8:26 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Now I know that the Huskies have been deeper in the NCAA tournament than we have. And yes I know you guys have more players in the NBA than we do (zero Cougs to think of). We get excited whenever we have a good year because usually our coach will leave as soon as we think we have our program off the ground. We'll see what happens with the rest of this year.

Posted by geno til next year

8:59 PM, Mar 13, 2008

A few "good years of football?" Hmmm... could we go back to the glory days of the Big 5 Conference. UCLA, UW, USC, CAL, and Stan.

UW is the 16th winningest football program in history. We still have the best record in the PAC since 1960. Even better than USC's. The 1991 Team, remember those guys geno? The most outscoring team in NCAA history. Over in Pullman you don't know the history, passion, and tradition that goes on at Montlake. Our ship sank quickly in Hedges era, and we are worried as hell that it's going to take a while to return. But it will return. Believe me we would all trade a so called "basketball dynasty" for an early return of football. Schools that pride themselves on basketball first, well, go ahead duke.

WAZZU creates a good team once ever 8 years it seems. Never a great team. They can't go all the way. Blips on the rader... cinderella stories each time. Martin Stadium is just full of drunk kids that yell obscure things. I've been to the Beaver Stadium and heard better insults.

Enjoy your win tonight Geno. Your "Cougs" "Almighty Cougs", will not go far in the Tourney. This decade will end and UW will have been to the sweet 16 twice... WAZZU none. No one will ever speak of this team as "great." They had a good run last year... as underdogs... ESPN loves underdogs. This team in by no way is great. Probably better than a mediocre 1991 husky football squad.

"When I was recruited by WAZZU I was told not to go to UW, I'll just be another face in the crowd, never get to play. The thing that made me become a husky was when I was leaving from a recruit trip. I was standing in SEATAC and I asked the QB coach [who was recruiting me] 'I heard if i came to UW i'll never get to play, just be another face in the crowd. Is this true?" His response was simple but commanding "If you don't want to compete, than don't come to UW." -Steve Entman (A consensus All-American, Outland Trophy & Lombardi Award winner.1991 Pac-10 Defensive Player of the year)

geno, you've been about as classy as coug can get all season. Enjoy you blip.

Posted by Workin' Dawg

9:08 PM, Mar 13, 2008

huskiefan@aol.com --

I'm glad to see at least someone else see's the problem. I posted the following earlier today on the football blog and promptly got ripped by someone for being a whiner. Unless this attitude about accepting losses changes, we're doomed. And I agree, like it or not, football (and to a much lesser extent, basketball) makes the whole thing work. If UW doesn't have football working, then it's just a matter of time before it all falls apart. Here was my post:

I think the UW had better take a serious look at their athletics program. The whole thing. We've had the worst leadership imaginable starting with Hedges & Gerberding followed by Turner.

For starters, the university needs to decide if they are serious about being competitive in sports. Hey, if they're not, then that's their choice. But, I feel like the athletics department is getting to the point where it represents the university in a poor light. Our basketball teams and football teams (by far and away the highest profile and revenue sports) are a mess. The basketball program just came off another major disappointment of a season, and the football team has won 12 games in 4 years -- finishing last 3 times and second to last 1 time.

The stadium is in horrible disrepair and needs attention -- now. But it seems like a few dedicated folks are getting very little support. I called in twice to the athletics department (when Turner worked there) to ask how I could help. I offered time, money, whatever. I was thanked but turned away both times. They told me it was still in the planning phases. They didn't even take my phone number.

Anyway, I think it's time for the university to take a real hard look at what they want out of an athletics department. If consistently finishing with .500 records or worse, not making the post season or bowl games, and finishing near the bottom of the conference every year continue to be the norm, then I guess I have to ask where this is headed. Moreover, is it even worth having the programs if you're not serious about fielding quality teams! By the way -- talk is cheap. I'm asking about action here. Saying you are serious about winning and actually doing the necessary things are two completely different things!

In summary, I hope the university stops long enough to seriously do some soul searching. I know Gerberding was a jealous, little man who hated the fact that sports drew more headlines than him. He couldn't stand the fact that more people knew the name Don James than knew his. I know that hedges (the worst AD ever in the history of all of sports) was his brainless lap dog who cut our football team off at the knees when the NCAA and pac10 came knocking. I know that Turner had this "vision" of major college sports being glorified intermurals or something like that. (His exit letter was damn odd.) Anyway, if just feels like the athletics department has been in steady decline for about 15 - 20 years now. And it's time the university decided what they are going to do about it. Are they going to pump energy, resources, and thought into making our athletics programs top notch, or are they going to sit back, hire a new AD, and just figure same old, same old.

Perhaps I'm being alarmist, but I feel like we're really at a crossroads right now. It's bigger than keeping or firing Ty, it's bigger than another crappy basketball season, it's a question of the university's commitment (or lack of commitment) to the athletics department.

I think we should all be watching this stadium project as kind of a canary in the coal mine. If the university gets serious, creative, and determined to make this happen, then it tells me a lot. If they leverage contacts with wealthy donors (Gates, Balmer, Allen, other local tycoons, etc.), work with the legislature, and accept help from former donors & boosters, then I'll be impressed. (see the latest efforts to get an arena done for the sonics as an example of creative solution finding.) If they do it right, I'll be impressed. But if they let this slide and then half-ass some project, it will tell me much more. They should step up and do it right. This area has spent well over a billion dollars for local pro sports teams. There is no reason the UW shouldn't go for it all and do the complete $500 million original plan through a combination of local charity, state and county help, donors, and ticket revenues. But I fear the attitude will be "let's do enough to make it look like we did something." That attitude is what's killing our teams right now by the way. Fair, but not top notch. Well, the stadium will indicate to me if we're serious about being the best versus "okay." The stadium is our chance to not only draw the most fans every year, but to also have the crown jewel of stadiums in the Pac10 and possibly on the entire west coast.

In closing, I've enjoyed UW athletics for almost 40 years now. But I am beginning to get the impression that the UW athletics deparment is more dear to me than it is to the university. Their actions (and ultimately results on the field) are a reflection of the lack of commitment to excellence. And sure, it's very easy to say "we're committed to excellence", but it's entirely another to actually take action to make that happen. Give me something to believe in guys. I'll be sitting back and watching where the university wants to take this whole thing. I hope it's somewhere good.

Posted by Geno

9:16 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Come on now....let's not go back to the day of Jesse James and Wyatt Earp. Give me some sort of CURRENT TIMES records. Not shit we have to scrap off the walls.

PAC-FIVE....wow, you guys are reaching.

Posted by honest question - Geno

9:16 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Is there something wrong with Geno? I'm not actually joking about this. Geno just doesn't seem right in the head. I mean, cougs are generally obnoxious, lazy, stupid, etc. But Geno actually seems like he's mildly unstable or screwed up in addition to the other cougar traits -- obnoxious, lazy, stupid, etc. Does anyone have any insight into this kid? He just doesn't seem right in the head.

Posted by Geno

9:20 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Workin' Dawg....I take it you're RETIRED???????

To put it to you honestly, I feel asleep after your first 1,000 word post.

Posted by geno = coug = reject

9:20 PM, Mar 13, 2008

I am starting to think that Geno was turned down by every farm animal east of the Cascades, so he's a bitter and angry coug.
Maybe we could take up a pool and find a blind sheep or something for him to work off some of this frustration. It can't be easy to be a coug to begin with. But to also be a 350 pound 12 year old who has to pee sitting down? poor kid.

Posted by Geno

9:23 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Oh....did I tell you all - COUGAR's WIN tonight????

And where are the Huskies going - NOWHERE!

Posted by Workin' Dawg

9:24 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Geno --

Like a typical coug, you don't get very far with tricky things like reading. Weren't never very good at that thar book lurnin', were 'ya?

Why don't you stick to things you're good at, like ... uh... hmmm... let's see... something cougars are good at... oh yeah! Drinking and being @$$holes! You're good at that! So, leave tough things like reading to the rest of us and get back to your beer there, okay?

Posted by Geno

9:38 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Workin' Dawg....like I said already but your age preceded comprehension - I take it you're RETIRED?

I gotta get to sleep. Sorry for keeping up past your bed time NON-Workin' Dawg. Oh yeah, you're retired....you don't work.

Posted by pac ten refs are pathetic

10:00 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Why do pac ten officials keep bailing out Arizona's Bayless? It is freaken pathetic. The guy is a great player. But everytime he goes into the lane he gets a foul. Give me a break. He is creating the contact. IT IS NOT A FOUL. I hate pac ten refs.

Posted by rr208

10:16 PM, Mar 13, 2008

anybody know about where Redmon is headed?

Posted by geno is short

10:38 PM, Mar 13, 2008

why do cougs always say huskies are going to dig up history... because we have one... and you're upset with that?

geno... let's talk current. how about this decade... these ten years, which is double digits I realize... just try. Dawgs=Sweet 16 twice. Cougs=None. Barely beating a duck team that is just as bad as us huskies. You have to read the previous comments, not just the start. The Big 5 talk, I'm just wishing the PAC could actually get back to the day when only the real institutes played against each other. Again, wazzu is nothing. Blips. No one ever has called it a great learning institute, which believe it or not, is the point. No one has ever offered a national championship ring in football... which believe it or not, is ALSO the point. Geno you are a short person. I can tell by the way you have wrote in here all year. I don't mean short as in "a tiny person," but short as in, if you tried to pick a fight with me i would pat you on the head and tell you that you are neat... look at this neat little short guy I would say to the bar.

Can't hear your sad attempt at a rebubuttall over our 16 trips to the rose bowl... dig into history all you want beat that...

Posted by Ryan S

5:43 AM, Mar 14, 2008

I think the NIT is a joke. Don't even get me started on the CBI. When you're not good enough to compete with the best you stay home. PERIOD!!

We're like the fat kid in seventh grade who back in the day couldn't make the team; now days they got this PC tourney so everyones a winner and get to participate.

Its a joke and I'm embarassed to call myself a Husky fan if we actually accept an invitation to the "tourney"

Posted by wazzumilkman

9:03 AM, Mar 14, 2008

Re "anyone know where Redmon is headed?" Hmmmm she was recruited by June D. When the Huskies fired June D. and Jim Sterk was smart enough to hire her @ WSU, Redmon wanted a release from UW, and they would not give it. She played well for UW, getting pack-10 freshman of the year, and is leaving for ....let me see.... Eastern? (NOOOOTTTTT).

Posted by Gary R. Cox

9:05 AM, Mar 14, 2008

So......it's come to this, eh? Buying your way into the CBI @ $60K just to say you have played in the Post Season???

One would hope that some integrity might remain at the once proud Huskyville, but apparnetly greed reigns supreme. Truly pathetic times have gripped Montlake.

Go Cougs!

Posted by duponthusky

9:26 AM, Mar 14, 2008

wazzumilkman are you really that desperate to talk about women's basketball? You can have Redmon, heck take the rest of the women's basketball team, do you really think that we care. We have alot of more important things to discuss. Go deliver your milk and come up with something better. You and Geno give us updates of all of your Rose Bowl wins and the last time you have been to the elite eight and how many NBA players are from WSU. The reason you and Geno hate the fact that we bring up history is because WE HAVE A HISTORY!

Posted by Toby

9:44 AM, Mar 14, 2008

I say we set aside the whole UW vs. WSU history argument, and discuss the true elephant in the room right now: What is going to become of the Cougs basketball team next year? Are you telling me that Rochestie and Baynes can run a team? If you think the Dawgs fell on hard times after Roy left, wait until Low and Weaver are gone (oh, and coach Bennett as well). Enjoy your little run, Cougs, because it's o-v-e-r. You better hope that Harthun and Thompson are the second coming of Christ.

Posted by Workin' Dawg

10:31 AM, Mar 14, 2008

Uh, Geno.
How is calling someone retired a slam? I'll tell you something, I WISH I was retired. But I actually do have a job and unfortunately probably have another 15 - 20 years to go. At that point I should be able to retire very comfortably without any dependence upon Social Security being there or not. (I suppose I might as well be talking to a stop sign here. Because gainful employment is something you probably don't know a thing about.) Anyway, you are an odd duck to say the least. If the biggest slam you can come up with is to call somebody retired, then you are actually more of a moron that I originally thought.
Finally, look back at this thread. Does it not strike you as odd that you (a cougar fan) make up about half of the posts on a Husky sports blog? Does that not strike you as the least bit pathetic? Sincerely. You need to get a life. If the highlight of your day is trolling your rival's blog then you really need to get out more. Pathetic.

Posted by MT Husky

11:54 AM, Mar 14, 2008

huskiefan & Workin Dawg:

I enjoyed reading your thoughts, comments and opinions. You make a lot of good points, some I agree with and some I don't but all well-stated.

I will tell you this, I've been an outspoken loyalist to Romar on this blog...not because I think he is the greatest coach out there but more because I don't think we have clear evidence either way. I would make a similar argument for Willingham.

As a fan (and alum) who loves Husky athletics like you obviously do I would wonder how many others are out there who like me believe we need to show a little more patience.

I believe there is reason to believe that both Willingham and Romar COULD take both of he major man's athletic programs to the level we want them to in the next few seasons.

Both have had recent good recruiting classes and I think both deserve the chance to see if they can develop these classes.

Especially in basketball. I believe Romar is being unfairly blamed for a team that just doesn't have the talent to match up with 8 other Pac-10 teams. Even on an average year I don't think we have the talent but it looks especially bad this year when 8 other teams are particularly loaded.

If two years from now the football team isn't winning some bowl games and the basketball team isn't having tourney appearances then I'm in complete agreement that change needs to be made.

But I believe strongly that changes in either of the head coaching positions right now would be unfairly premature.

I don't say these things to convince you that you're wrong because I read the football blog also and know there is a large contingent who disagrees with me and I know your reasoning...I only say these things as a voice for others who might agree and to confirm that I'm not a blind loyalist, but one who feels strongly we need to give coaches a little more time.

2007 was indeed one of the most discouraging years in UW athletic history...but it is behind us and I for one do not think I'm being naively optimistic by counting down the days to the UW/OU football game in August or Huskies first b-ball game in November.

Posted by Raul

2:00 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Posted by Raul

2:01 PM, Mar 14, 2008

It would be absolutely ridiculous to fire Romar right now, let alone consider it. The UW is not going to do it, and he doesn't deserve this kind of talk at all from fans. He deserves more leniency than Ty because he's had great results. The 3 year tourney run + 4 good recruiting classes in a row is proof that he can bring in talent and coach them to wins. The past two years haven't worked out due to various reasons, but he has still showed quality coaching (while admittedly making mistakes, which all coaches make). This year's team while finishing 8th in the Pac10 was much more competitive than our football team. The football team would be close for a half, then lose it. Our basketball team beat Oregon, Arizona, Arizona State, and UCLA. Plus lost many games in which they not only played top teams tough for a half, but for the whole game - i.e.) Pitt, WSU 2x, and Stanford. All this with a freshman starting PG who shot about 30% and I almost guarantee a poor turnover-assist ratio, and Dentmon and Appleby as the next best primary ballhandlers, the worst free-throw shooting in the country, and our best player as a big who is a little too short to pass out of double teams. You have to say our mix of experience and talent was 9th in the Pac-10, yet we finished 8th and were so close to being higher (again, closer than the football team). I don't blame Romar and his staff. Considering PG play and free-throw shooting have been strengths of Romar's teams here, I am confident he can turn around the team's two biggest weaknesses, especially with Overton's upside and the talented guard recruits we have coming in. This team also showed a strong toughness in the last 3rd of the season, which is integral for a program to carry forward from generation to generation. As Florida found out this year, it is VERY DIFFICULT to turn over so much experience. We turned over experience, then had turnover among the recruits. It's an obvious rebuilding period which coincides with a time period with the best talent this league has ever seen. I'm not some coaching apologist. I wanted Ty fired. But any discussion of firing Romar is ridiculous.

Go Dawgs!

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

'Nostrils' add flair and air to the faces of cars new
For years, auto designers lavished attention on the grilles of cars, both for their function and for their brand identity. Now designers seem to be lo...