Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 12, 2008 9:28 AM

Off to Los Angeles

As I type this, I'm at the airport, waiting for my flight, having already confronted the big decision of the day --- how many days of clothes to pack?

I'm sure Lorenzo Romar has socked away four suits, being the glass half-full guy that he is (and having once before entered a tournament as a ninth seed and winning the whole thing --- at Saint Louis in 2000).

My wife will tell you I'm more of a there's-just-a-few-drops-left kind of guy. But I decided to alter the outlook a little today and pack for a two-day stay and not just a Spencer Hawes trip (a one-and-done).

Given the circumstances --- likely playing without Jon Brockman --- I think one victory here has to be considered a big victory for the Huskies and almost certainly enough to assure some sort of post-season. I wrote about the stakes of today's game and how Brockman's probable absence could impact the Huskies for my story today.

I'll make an official pick later, but as I wrote today, I think there are some things about this game that make it maybe the best Pac-10 matchup (other than Oregon State) that UW could face to take on a team without Brockman.

Of course, I'll happily admit that a long stay here is fine with me as this is shaping up as one of the best Pac-10 tournaments ever, something our Bud Withers wrote about today.

Before I get on the plane, I'll leave you with a few more links:

--- Former Husky Will Conroy is back in the states after playing in Italy since September. He's now with Albuquerque of the NBA D-League playing alongside Julius Hodge, the former NC State star with whom the Huskies had a couple of memorable meetings during Conroy's career.

--- As I alluded to in my story, Cal coach Ben Braun is under the gun a little bit and today's game (or more accurately, the tournament itself) could help determine his future. Here's one Bay Area columnist's take on Braun.

--- Here's another look at Cal entering the tournament from the San Francisco Chronicle with a frank quote from Braun on the new CBI that "we're not really thinking about that until we have to.''

--- Here's another take on Cal with some quotes from Bear players saying the UCLA loss "lit a fire'' under them.

--- Here's a breakdown of the game from the Kansas City Star that says that the Huskies have "had some issues'' from the free throw line this season. Kind of like Britney Spears has had a few parenthood issues of late.

Plane's about to board, so more later from LA.

Posted by mattysimone

10:01 AM, Mar 12, 2008

Lets go dawgs and get a big Dub! dont forget to register for your brackets!

yep up to 18! yeah sorry there may be one space in it. Tell all your friends lets get up over a 100 in this thing!!! espn.com go to fantasy then tourney challenge. you have to click join league and its Pac10 Rules ( not the pac10 rules) and password is bobc and you should see a few familiar names, im m simmons. where is bob , geno and meatball?

Posted by Ted Robinson

10:15 AM, Mar 12, 2008

Bob:

Thanks for your great work here.
How did you come across an article in the Kanas City Star?

Posted by Spanaway Dave

10:17 AM, Mar 12, 2008

Yeah, Matty.

I'd like to see Bob, CougFan, MTHusky, and Meatball in the group. Geno ... hmmm ... not so much. He couldn't pick the Cougs for every game, plus unless the Huskies happened to win the PX tourney, Geno wouldn't enjoy it anyway, without the Huskies to hate on.

Tnks for setting the group up.

Posted by mattysimone

10:24 AM, Mar 12, 2008

I think coug is in but the others are not. tell your friends and lets get a ton in it!! I really wanna see geno and meatball in it! wheres mt and mailbu?

Posted by Cuugfan

10:37 AM, Mar 12, 2008

Spanaway dave: I'm in!!!

And I forgot to wish you luck tonight after my picks. Like I have always said, I rarely root for the UW, but I will always wish my foe a good game.

ps I am not happy that I have to wait for the OK City Sonics to end their game before I watch yours.

Posted by mattysimone

10:46 AM, Mar 12, 2008

fox sports on comcast channel 415 has the game...i think its like $5 a month and you get 4 regional fox channels. lots of conference tourney's. I got it last time the game wasnt on.

Posted by lorlor

11:16 AM, Mar 12, 2008

What the hell is wrong with FSN? Can't they show some of the UW or WSU games on TV? It seems all they want to show are stupid games like Arizona vs Oregon St. Please will some explain why FSN is such a crappy TV station?

Posted by Cougfan

Cal
UCLA x2
UofA
WSU x2
ASU
USC x2

These are off the top of my head, so my response to you is, HUH?

Posted by SnohomishRick

11:52 AM, Mar 12, 2008

Time for the boys to suck it up and play like men. They need to go out and win one for the Brock.

Go Dawg's

Posted by SnohomishRick

11:54 AM, Mar 12, 2008

Go Dawg's

Posted by the future

12:35 PM, Mar 12, 2008

you hear this for the NCAA tourney on ESPN all the time but is it a possibility that Dawgs will get no love by the NIT because brock is injured and possibly out? I know the NCAA committy will deny a bubble team if their best player is out. just a thought.

Posted by JoeJoe

12:38 PM, Mar 12, 2008

You can tell by the press coverage that Brockman is going to play.

Posted by Dave

12:39 PM, Mar 12, 2008

LOL Bob from now on an one night business trip will be known as "a Spencer Hawes" in your honor.

1:17 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Guys --- I will definitely join the group. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. But I think it's great you guys are doing this and as I said, in a few days, when it's possible things won't be so busy, I will write a blog item about this to give it some visibility. Maybe I'll even come up with a prize I can give to the winner.

Posted by Cougfan

1:56 PM, Mar 12, 2008

The winner gets 2 tickets to next year's BB game between the Huskies and Cougs. The loser gets a day off work to watch Geno in court?

Posted by pattapit

3:20 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Cougfan... simply brilliant..

(and as I would never have thought I would ever say about/to a cougar)

as usual

Posted by pattapit

3:23 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Cougfan... simply brilliant..

(and as I would never have thought I would ever say about/to a cougar)

as usual

Posted by mattysimone

4:20 PM, Mar 12, 2008

nice coug fan!!! really anything is better than just a bragging rights bracket! that would be awesome bob if you came up with something!

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

Lab develops innovative vehicle technologynew
Nestled in the rolling Tennessee hills and forests, the secretive lab that developed power for the Manhattan Project is working to change the auto ind...