Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 12, 2008 10:35 PM

Cal post-game

And is it season post-game?

That's the biggest question now, whether the Huskies will have another game left to play this season.

Indications are that the Huskies are likely to at least get a call from the new CBI, but that it will be a lot harder to get into the NIT now with the Cal loss giving them a 16-16 record.

"From what we've done, the games we've won and how we've been playing lately, I think we deserve to keep playing,'' said Jon Brockman.

And Brockman said he'll likely be there if the Huskies get that chance.

He said later he tried to make a go of it in warmups before the game but finally decided that it wasn't worth the risk to his ankle, and that he also probably couldn't do enough to make it worth taking that risk.

UW guard Ryan Appleby said "it was weird'' playing without Brockman since so much of the offense runs through him. "When we need an easy basket, we can just throw it to him,'' he said. "So it's tough not playing witih him.''

But for much of the night, the Huskies did okay getting a lot of contributions from a lot of different players.

Quincy Pondexter scored a season-high 23 points, showing he can respond to a greater role when asked. He hit 9-16 shots and never seemed to waver in his aggressive attitude.

Artem Wallace almost had a double-double (11 and 9) and played good defense, especially early. Joel Smith shook off the cobwebs to score eight points in 20 minutes, his best game since the win at Arizona State. And Justin Holiday, in his first game since Feb. 10, was a presence in the eight minutes he was on the floor.

"Our guys did a great job of trapping, of being patient offensively and getting good shots,'' UW coach Lorenzo Romar said.

Unfortunately, Joe Wolfinger couldn't repeat the success he'd had against Cal in Berkeley, going scoreless and reboundless in 10 minutes, and Matthew Bryan-Amaning picked up three fouls in 10 minutes and was never really a factor.

Romar pointed later to the stat sheet showing Cal with a 43-34 rebounding edge, and 20-14 in second-chance points, and said that was the difference.

"In a game that was decided by three points, I think that might have been the difference,'' he said.

Of course, the shot by Ryan Anderson late was a killer, as well.

"As soon as he caught it I was thinking 'that's not the guy we want to have the ball in his hands,''' Brockman said.

I touch on a lot of the nuts-and-bolts of the game in our coverage that will be on-line and in the paper, so I'll link to that later.

Is it the last time this year I do so?

UW players remained wary but hopeful it won't be their last game.

"But anytime you leave your future in someone else's hands, it's not a good feeling,'' said Brockman.

Posted by purple_reign33

11:41 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Has there EVER been a softer 7-footer than Joe Wolfinger? Dang, I got as many rebounds and points tonight as Wolfinger, and I'm a 42 year old bald white guy. Wolfinger must translate in some language to "7 Foot White Stiff"

Posted by Josh

5:18 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Here are my observations of last night's game:

1. The second half lead started to evaporate once Justin Dentmon came into the game. One thing that drives me nuts about Romar is his insistence not to label players by position. This team desperately needs a point guard. A true point guard. Conroy was a point guard and it appears Overton is too. Dentmon is not. He played decent this season when at the 2 but he cannot lead the team at the point. Overton will have to play 30 minutes a game next year because there still won't be any other 1s on the team. This just goes to show the importance of getting Siva or convincing Gaddy to change his mind or find someone else in CA.

2. Joel Smith is nonexistent. You never realize his is on the floor until his is given the opportunity to do something but nothing comes of it. He had a couple good drives last night but that's it, all season. I notice Smith when he is on the bench more than when he is on the floor. The positive is he has a great attitude and the team needs that but there is nothing else. His dunking? As Romar said last night, they need finishers for the up tempo game to be successful. His three point shooting? He appears hesitant to shoot and doesn’t make it when it counts.

3. I posted a comment recently about how ridiculous it was to mention Wolfinger and the NBA in the same sentence simply because he had a good weekend. That's it, Joe Wolfinger had one good weekend all season. After the WSU game, a picture was posted with the on-line article showing, if my memory is correct, Pondexter under the basket. In the background, far away from the action, presumably at the three point arch, stood Wolfinger. That's your 7 footer, standing 20 feet from the basket when your forward is down low getting hammered. Sure, Romar could have called a play where Wolfinger cleared out but even so, why wasn't he crashing the boards?

In sum, at least Dentmon can contribute at the 2. With Appleby and Morris gone next year, maybe Romar will be forced to play him there rather than the point. Smith has the attitude to take a leadership role, he has a nice shot, and seems athletic enough to provide some power and solid defense but needs to find the confidence to put it all together, be that “glue guy,” otherwise encourage, coach, etc. your teammates from the bench. Wolfinger? He had two years off so maybe there will be something next year. But I doubt it.

6:49 AM, Mar 13, 2008

There are some angry Huskies out there. Hey, if you don't like what I post, don't read. The more you negatively post about me, the more I am going to do it.

FloridaDawg posted 12 times on Cougfan.com yesterday!

Posted by Boycott Nike

8:10 AM, Mar 13, 2008

I don't think the NIT or CBI will find the Dawgs attractive at all without Brockman.

Posted by Saddawg

8:18 AM, Mar 13, 2008

I hate to see the Huskies lose like this. At the same time, I think it sets them up to work hard and take nothing for granted - which they did not do at the beginning of the year. I am betting next year's team is grittier, tougher, smarter, better.

8:26 AM, Mar 13, 2008

I thoroughly enjoyed reading how much a couple of of you dislike me an my posts. It is amusing that you think that 1) I will stop; and 2) You hurt my feelings. But I do have to say that bringing in homophobia to the equation is juvenile. My guess is that the uneducated are the ones using these remarks. I guess the next time you post about me you can use the "N" word or group me in with Middle Eastern terrorists. Come on, folks, a grip on reality would be nice.

On to tonight's picks:

UCLA over Cal: Although Cal played the Bruins tough on Saturday and UCLA escaped because of a horrendous officiating call, tonight will be different. Cal had to battle to eek out a win last night and will fold in the 2nd half. (74-62)

UofA over Stanford: Stanford, besides getting jobbed by the officials an Thursday (Is there a theme?) while losing to UCLA, has not been playing that well. They struggled to beat both the WA schools and lost at SC. UofA got a day off yesterday by playing OSU and will be ready. Punch the Cats ticket to the Dance! (68-61)

USC over ASU: Are both teams dancing? Most assuredly the Trojans are in. ASU was helped by Syracuse losing yesterday and if 'Nova loses this morning and Dayton loses to X, I think they are in win or lose. With a win ASU is in. Be that as it may, the Men of Troy escape withe the W! (65-60)

WSU over UofO: Oregon has more wins in the PX tourney than any other conference team (I think) and is playing well off of a weekend sweep of the AZ schools. WSU has swept them this year and has shown some moxy in the process by playing tough D against the 3. However, I will not be surprised if the Ducks bombard the Cougs with myriad 3's and come out with a much needed victory that assures them a bid. WSU playing for a 5 seed in the tourney. (67-65)

Posted by Toby

9:17 AM, Mar 13, 2008

I agree with all of Josh's observations - especially the team losing its mojo last night when Overton came out of the game.

Another observation I had last night is that once again, Romar stuck with the 2-3 zone a little too long on the second half. That zone has tended to work for us in short spurts, as it quickly throws the opposition out of their offense. But once Cal got settled, they knew they just had to be patient and they'd either get an open 3, or an easy pass down low to Anderson. Romar needs to learn to switch back to man defense quicker. I don't care if we're in foul trouble (which we really weren't last night). Staying in the zone too long is detrimental and keeps us from running and getting easy baskets.

Just had to get that off my chest! We will be back in the Dance next year. Get ready for the Scott Suggs era.

Cougfan, thanks again for your myriad picks. So enlightening. Here's some advice: it's called Blogspot.com. Get your own blog and put your picks there.

9:20 AM, Mar 13, 2008

So, Toby, is this "your" blog?

Remember, every time you post somehting negative I am going to be more and more adamant. Thank you for you advice and insight!

9:28 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Toby: With that insight maybe the UW will fire Romar and hire you. I am sure you know way more about BB than he!

Posted by Dave " The Meatball" Armistead

9:38 AM, Mar 13, 2008

The MEatball will concede...the Husky's got 3 more wins in the Pac-10 then he thought. Kudos to you. We'll see if the Post-Season gods are kind and offer an invite to the NIT...

They way I see it, my CATS scraped in the tourney with last nights victory, but we are not ready to settle. Stanford typically struggles in Pac-10 tourney, they are currently in the middle of their exams, and we should have already beaten them twice...I see my Cats winning by 8.

WSU over Oregon...and knocking Oregon from the Tourney...

USC over ASU...and knocking ASU into the NIT...enjoy it scumdevils, that's a great season for you...

Posted by Zonafan08

9:39 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Sounds like CougFan has nothing better to do than sit on this blog and insult Dawg fans. Seems like a loser.

Posted by zonafan08

9:40 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Posted by zonafan08

9:42 AM, Mar 13, 2008

9:42 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Nice call, (Zona) BC!!! I'm not letting your people in my lab now!

Posted by mattysimone

9:44 AM, Mar 13, 2008

up to 21 people! Tell all your friends lets get up over a 100 in this thing!!! espn.com go to fantasy then tourney challenge. you have to click join league and its Pac10 Rules ( not the pac10 rules) and password is bobc and you should see a few familiar names, im m simmons. where is bob , geno and meatball?

9:47 AM, Mar 13, 2008

matty: I think I should drop out because I will be busy on my own blog. My feelings have been hurt and I will never be able to face reality again...oh, I guess I will. Maybe Toby can join because, you know, he could be the next UW coach. He has figured things out more than Romar.

9:50 AM, Mar 13, 2008

...this is my 8th post just to help those who like to count.

I must not have a job...oh, wait, it's at Walmart/McDonalds/Burger King/Dominoes...

Posted by dawgster

10:03 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Romar is clearly to blame for not playing the best players, instead, playing his favorites. No VO or holiday, MBA? instead we get career losers like smith, pondexter and wolf dominating the minutes. When can we fire this guy already?

Posted by tj

10:06 AM, Mar 13, 2008

whats wrong with you Cougfan?? You really need to get out of your moms basement and get a life...........life would go on if you went away........what's your angle??...Geno posts not caring what we think....but you actually make posts caring what we think.....it's pathetic......one of my favorite lines is in your pathetic predictions segments when you said that your "not sure the Huskies can win on the road yet" before the Oregon game....wow....that is some insight...not sure??...wow!!....or the time you told us you dont post on the weekends......but another fav is when you told us you were sick so thats why you didnt post......your a sad pathetic man.......how can you say that someone who makes 9+ posts by 10am on a blog where your not even a fan of that team isnt pathetic.....if you told any of your friends or family this fact you'd be laughed at.....actually, probablly not....they already know what we've all come to learn....THAT YOUR A SAD PATHETIC LONELY MAN!!

think we can get Ken Bone back.....he took that team to the tourney........Bennett goes to Indiana and Bone goes to Pullman.......it could happen!!

Posted by mattysimone

10:23 AM, Mar 13, 2008

bone to pullman...yikes!!! id rather have him go to osu...but at the same time I guess you would have to think wazzu will hold a cow wash all summer long to save up a ton of money to throw at few! It sucks that we didnt make the tourney but at the same time its great to always be able to go to BOA or turn on the tv and watch excellent pac 10 games with all the great players and coaches! so Id love to see bone to osu and few to wazzu! lots of trash talkin on here hope all you guys have registered your brackets!!! should be very entertaining. still no bob geno or meatball....cmon geno get your ass in the bracket!

Posted by keep wfb on the bench

10:23 AM, Mar 13, 2008

tj-Glad somebody brought up Ken Bone. Seems odd he left two years ago, and we have struggled since. Actually it isn't odd because he's a great coach. I could see him ending up at Oregon State, but would not be surprised to see him land in Pullman if Bennett goes to Indiana.

10:31 AM, Mar 13, 2008

tj: Thank you! Here I go again. Tell me what your insight has been. If you did not realize, let me state the following facts. Bob had said in one of his posts that maybe the Huskies had figured out how to win on the road after their victories at LSU and ASU...I guess Bob is a moron as well.

When I posted after being sick it was because someone asked why I hadn't posted in a few days. I was responding to them...it is the polite thing to do.

Before Zona fan08 posted that, I had just shown him all of the posts I made and how angry you people are. He actually laughed at the likes of you. What is funny is how upset you are and that you don't understand that some of the posters on here are friends of mine and they think it is really funny. They realize it IS a joke.

My mom lives in Phoenix and does not have a basement.

Sad and pathetic...like a clown, I suppose. Maybe that's what I do. Yes, I am in the circus. There is a job a WSU grad can garner.

And, this is Bob Condotta's blog. I am a huge fan of his writing and analysis. I also enjoy Vince Grippi from the Spokesman Review. So, really I am posting on a site that I am a fan of. I have talked to and emailed Bob and he enjoys my posts. Since it is his blog, I will continue to post. And the fact that it continues to anger you so much makes it all the more satisfying.

I think what is sad and pathetic is that you are soooooo angry about me posting.

Thanks for your insight and analysis. I look forward to more gripping posts from you, TJ!

10:32 AM, Mar 13, 2008

My mom lives in Phoenix and does not have a basement.

Posted by GU fan in AZ

10:33 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Few to WSU? I'd love to see him leave GU, but to WSU? That would be a step or two, or three down. This is as good as Few gets and as far as we get. He is tapped out in the talent column.
Cougfan...your taking quite a beating today. I haven't looked at the blog for days now but decided to today. Not much love for you now. I think Huskies are rabid now after the loss last night. I watched the game with my wife here in Phoenix. She looked at me at one point and asked "are you rooting for UW?" (she got her masters degree from WSU/Spokane campus) I said yes. It's a rare event, but I do see UW as having so much potential and to lose night in and out, it's sad.
So, with that said. PNW people, it's time to root for Northwesterners i.e. Portland State, GU and WSU...

Posted by GU fan in AZ

10:34 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Posted by GU fan in AZ

10:35 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Posted by Jason

10:36 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Wow...what would I do each week with out cougfan's predictions?!? I always take the time to read everything he writes!

Seriously though, what kind of job do you have that allows you to write on a blog 10+ times before noon? I mean, just the fact that you're a wsu grad and have a computer on your desk impresses me. Get a life.

Posted by GU fan in AZ

10:41 AM, Mar 13, 2008

well that was really weird...I posted the same comment 3x in a row by hitting enter 1x

Posted by Jason

10:41 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Cougfan, before posting back, think about your job and future Mrs. Ex-cougfan's that you're going to have to support. Stick to working...not posting aimlessly on a UW blog.

10:43 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Jason: Obviously a job where I am at the computer a lot.

GUin AZ: I think a lot of it has to do with the Huskies being eliminated. It's unfortunate, but I guess when you have nothing more to say...

What will be even more fun is when the Cougs get knocked out of the tourney, probably first or second round, all the Jasons and tjs of the world will be on here laughing and saying the Cougs suck and that I suck and all the vitrial and anger they can spew. But what is even better is that I will continue posting even though they hate me so much. Boys, do you think if I cared one iota what you thought that I would continue posting and taking your shots.

Romar and Brockman and the rest of the Husky team has shown so much class this year, like TW and the Husky FB team, it's too bad some of their fans don't learn from them.

Posted by kenc1968

10:47 AM, Mar 13, 2008

SEEKING PHOTO...rumor has it that the huskies had to climb aboard the WSU horizon plane to fly back to seattle last night. please tell me it's true and please tell me some snapped a picture for prosperity sake. fitting and to a disappointing season...GO COUGS!

Posted by Jason

10:49 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Actually, we don't write much on here about when other teams lose. This is a UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON BASKETBALL BLOG.

I bet you're the type of loser that would rather wear a coug jersey to an away game and get all the attention then go to a game in pullman.

So you're at a computer all day...hmm...DMV??? Drive-thru window? Does Burger King have wi-fi?

Posted by mattysimone

10:52 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Haha Im just sorry that you guys are at work :)

10:58 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Jason: More insight from you? Yes, I have all of those jobs. I have to work that many because I am a lowly WSU grad and could not find a job out of college. So, I work 3 8 hour a day jobs. Actually, I have season tickets for FB and make about 3 games a year. I go in Sept. and Oct., and then for the Apple Cup when it's there.

I also attend some Cougar road games. This year I was fortunate enough to be able to go to Wisconsin, UW, and unfortunately down to the desert. I don't own a jersey, but I do have a Wahington State pullover, a couple of different sweatshirts--hooded and v-necks--and asundry t-shirts, hats, and other stuff.

Thanks for asking, buddy

!

11:05 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Jason: Forgot to add...when AZ has lost, when WSU has lost, when Oregon has lost...people have posted. I thought maybe you could use the help!

And lets look at the title: Husky Men's Basketball blog. Does that mean it is for: 1) Husky BB "fans"?; 2) people who watch Husky BB?; 3) Husky BB players?; hmmmm, pretty unclear to me.

Funny, dawgfan.com and cougfan.com are pretty clear.

Jason, oh master of all things Husky, can I keep my subscription to the Seattle Times even though it has a majority of articles about the Huskies? Just want to check with you to see what i should and should not be doing. Thanks, bud!

Posted by Jason

11:05 AM, Mar 13, 2008

I'm glad we all know about the inner workings of your closet, cougfan. I'm sure their are a lot of 'secrets' in there wanting to come out.

Sorry, but that was too easy.

GO DAWGS!!!

Posted by Go Dawgs Go

11:06 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Hey Husky fans lighten up on Cougfan. If you are reading this blog on a regular basis then you know that he adds a different perspective to the blog. Does it really matter if he chooses to post multiple times during the day. That is his decision. I actually think he has a lot to say and he can be quite funny at times. Do I always agree with him? No. However, he and Meatball can talk college hoops anytime and I will be reading. Let's all quit with the insults and just talk hoops. Whether I agree or not I like reading what you all have to say. Thanks again Bob for the great blog.

Posted by Paul

11:12 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Here's my problem with CougFan.

I'm very glad that for the past two years he has had things to cheer about, and reasons to talk smack to Husky fans. Really, good for your!

The problem is, what happens now? You lose your three key guys, your coach is gonna bolt for a REAL basketball school, and all your left with is a lefty with a dumb last name and a giant Aussie with out anybody to get him the ball. You talk very tough, and yes, I realize that WSU has beat up on the Dawgs the last 7 times. However, it's a shame it's all got to end.

And, when WSU gets bounced in the 2nd (or 1st) round of the tourney again, please don't spread your hate mongering of everybody that's better than you on a UW Basketball site.

11:20 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Paul: Give me one quote where I smack talked!

Posted by mattysimone

11:21 AM, Mar 13, 2008

why doesnt everybody just put there money where there mouth is and register for the bracket in our league! coug is in there so let yur picks do the talking! its free! besides bob might get us a prize anyway! he will probably win also haha! espn.com go to fantasy then m tourney challenge then join league and its "pac10 rules" and password is bobc we need alot more than 21 poeple to make it interesting! dont be afraid of the coug! GO HUSKIES

11:22 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Paul: I don't hate! That would be the people that use homophobic vocab to make a point.

Posted by tj

11:26 AM, Mar 13, 2008

Cougfan, I did add insight. I brought up the Ken Bone situation and not once have I said the Cougs are sad pathetic losers....I said you were a sad pathetic loser......go ahead and tell someone sitting close to you, someone you know or maybe your girlfriend(who we kidding..girlfriend) that you've posted 10+ times on a Husky Blog in 5 hours........its pathetic Cougfan....anyway you spin it it still comes out pathetic.......

I think you gots to cut your losses with Dentmon and Smith....no need to have uper classman on your team who think they deserve minutes when they dont.......Qpon has a NBA game but a horrible basketball IQ...but no ones basketball IQ is worse than Dentmons........and enjoy the run Cougfans in general......this amazing run with your hoops team has equaled one win....yes one win in the NCAA tourney........now that is talking about some serious tradition..........hope thats ok for now Cougfan......Cougfan, you are the king of too much information.......your mom lives in Arizona??...im so glad I know that....call her up and go mom...."guess what ive done all day while at school.......I went on the Husky Blog and posted 12 times.....arent you proud of your pathetic lonely son??"

Cougs have you Cougfan to spread their ignorance and we have Dave "softy" Mahler......its kind of a wash in my book!!

Posted by Husky19

11:59 AM, Mar 13, 2008

UW's problem is that they do not have any players that are straight up scorers.

Morris, has his moments but inconsistent.

Dentmon, actually one of the better scorers but isn't consistent.

Venoy, can't shoot anything past 8 feet but boy can he finish!

Smith, can't score but could be a great defender.

Appleby is our best pure shooter but not pure scorer(he really can't create his own shot).

Wallace, can't score but has improved as much as anyone on the team.

Wolfinger, other then 3 pointers he needs to work with his back to the basket.

Pondexter, biggest disappointment, so much talent, so much natural god-given abiliity. Needs to play ALL games like the Cal game and I promise he will be a 1st rounder. Play like he has all year and he won't even get drafted. Its up to him.

Brockman, a beast that has improved his short jumper and only pure scorer on the team.

MBA, starting to come around but needs to take it strong more often and not always fade away or hook. He's 6'9"!

Holiday, can this guy even score? He plays good D but he needs to show that he somewhat of a scoring threat while on the floor.

I am totally excited for next year. For the first time since B Roy, N Rob, Tre Simmons, B Jones, Jensen, and J Williams, UW WILL ACTUALLY HAVE PEOPLE THAT CAN SCORE, create their own shot, hit open jumpers, drive to the basket, score inside and pull defenses away from Brockman. Guys like Suggs, Thomas Breashers and Turner. I wouldn't be surprised if Suggs leads UW in scoring next year and Thomas leads the Pac-10 in 3 pointers. Unlike Appleby (who I love to watch), Thomas will also be able to score numerous other ways and will remind people of that Oregon player, Tujuan Porter. Kid can flat out play B-Ball and Thomas is the same way. Add a more aggressive,better Pondexter, Brockman as his usual self, Gant adds athleticism and size, an improved and more aggressive MBA and the rest of the role players Venoy (PG), Smith (Defensive Specialist), Holiday (another D Specialist), Dentmon (6th man), Wallace (Big body that is improving) and Wolfinger (not sure). You have the making of a talented team. Finally! Next years class has 2 or 3 better pure scorers than anyone on the team except for Q Pond and Brockman.

Posted by Husky19

12:05 PM, Mar 13, 2008

One other thing, who are we all to say Cougfan can/can't post here. He can do whatever he wants. Just because he isn't a UW fan? Who cares, it's nice to hear another perspective, even if it is from a rival school's fan.

At the very least it will add some debate to this forum. After all the dawgs weren't that good this year and the Cougs do have our number for the last 7 games! UW has consistently beat Wsu for so long, let them have their moment.

Posted by GU fan in AZ

1:00 PM, Mar 13, 2008

I think Cougfan has been one of the msot insightful posters on the blog. He has been entertaining as well.
Me...I'm not a Husky, so start throwing fruit at any time. I come to this blog because there is so much information here shared on PNW basketball. I get very little info from GOZAGS.com and the Spokesmanreview.com. This is my favorite site. When here, I try to be respectful because in essence, it's a Husky blog right?
It's been a good year on the blog for the most part with people being respectful otehr than a few posters. By the way, where is Mallory?

Posted by hsky69

1:36 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Back off of Cougfan - he seems like an alright guy.

Posted by PayClayBennett

2:04 PM, Mar 13, 2008

I think cougfan is Ryan Leaf....they won't let him take his wireless laptop into The Coug anymore, so he sits at Starbuck's and caffeines the blog all morning, getting people's panties all knotted up, LOL. Whatever - the Huskies sucked this season - the Cougs were not as good as the should have been. They're the type of team that can play the tourney though and I look for them in the Sweet 16. I have to agree with Paul - this will be the Coug's last hurrah for awhile. Few ain't going to Wazzu.

Anyway cougfan, I don't care what you got to say, but I enjoy reading it. You get real defensive and your warnings of further antagonism get a little old, but other than that I see no harm in you spilling your goo in here.

A couple updates