Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 12, 2008 5:11 PM

Cal game thread

OUCH --- That's a heartbreaker there as Anderson scores his 16th point of the half and 22nd of the game on that three-pointer. The Huskies played well without their leader but appear destined to lose and will now need a call from the NIT or CBI to prolong the season.

PONDEXTER WITH SEASON-HIGH --- He has 21 points right now, his most this year. UW trails 79-76 with 2:16 left.

CAL LEADS REBOUNDS 33-25 --- UW is actually outrebounding Cal by one so far this half, but it feels like the Bears are getting a number of key boards that maybe the Huskies would get if Brockman were around.

CAL SCORES 16 IN A ROW --- Before the Huskies stop the bleeding. Cal leads 59-57 with 11:37 left. UW had four turnovers and went 0-3 from the field and missed two free throws during Cal's run.

CAL RIGHT BACK WITH 9-0 RUN --- To make it 55-52 with 14:49 to play. Can't say it's not entertaining.

HUSKIES START HALF ON 13-3 RUN --- Appleby has hit three three-pointers in the first 2:30 of the second half to give UW its biggest lead at 53-41. Huskies are in control at the moment.

SOME HALFTIME THOUGHTS --- The Huskies are being outrebounded 36-27, due, to be sure, to the absence of Brockman as well as the need to play a zone at times to mitigate foul trouble. Cal leads in second-chance points 14-6.

--- Who would have thought Artem Wallace would have more points at the half than Ryan Anderson --- 7-6?

--- Pondexter is stepping up so far, leading UW with 11 points and four rebounds in 15 minutes.

--- Cal's lack of pressure again is helping the Huskies be careful with the ball. UW has just three turnoverse.

--- Cal again holds a lead at the line, going 11-13 to UW's 5-8.

HUSKIES LEAD 40-38 AT HALF --- The Huskies have held the lead most of the way here so far, as much as seven a couple of times and now down to two. Pondexter has 11 points to lead what has been a team effort. The surprise is Appleby wiith zero points, going 0-4. UW will need more than that from him the rest of the way to pull this one off. Joel Smith has had some nice moments off the bench and Artem Wallace has done a good job on Ryan Anderson making him work hard for his six points.

EIGHT HUSKIES HAVE SCORED --- They needed a team effort without Brockman and so far that's what they are getting as all 10 players here have seen significant action, and eight have scored as UW has taken a 38-32 lead with 3:42 left.

A GAME OF RUNS --- Cal's 7-0 run was quickly answered by a 9-0 run by the Huskies, who have taken a 26-20 lead. Pondexter has nine points in continuing his late-season drive.

HUSKIES ON 14-5 RUN --- After a 6-1 Cal start, the Huskies have dominated, going on a 14-5 run to take a 15-11 lead. One problem is fouls --- UW already has five, four among the team's three big men. UW has gone to a 2-3 zone to try to mitigate the fouls.

TIED AT FIRST TIMEOUT --- It's 6-6 with 15:49 to go. UW missed its first five shots by my count but has made the last two, including a three from Quincy Pondexter who again looks aggressive. He's tried three shots, missing on two post-ups inside, and almost had a steal. DeVon Hardin didn't start for Cal as the Bears went with the same lineup that went against UCLA.

BROCKMAN IN UNIFORM --- The Huskies just took the floor and Brockman is in uniform and has his shoes on, with heavy tape on the left foot. But he is limping noticeably as he walks with a UW trainer. Now he is standing on the sidelines as the Huskies go through the layup lane, slapping hands with each player that goes by. As noted earlier, he has played in every game in his three years at UW and the only start he missed was on Senior Day in 2006.

PRE-GAME --- I'm set up at press row, watching the Bears and UW go through early warmups.

And there is no Jon Brockman in sight as he has been officially ruled out for the game and is likely not to even bother suiting up.

"He'd like to go, but he's not going to be able to,'' said one UW official.

Brockman took off the boot and tried to practice a little during the team's shootaround today at Pauley Pavilion but was unable to do much. He's likely out for as long as the Huskies are here.

The team remains upbeat, however. When the players got to Pauley, Justin Dentmon grabbed a ball and headed to one end of the court, attempting to replicate the shot Josh Shipp hit on Saturday. It apparently took him only three tries before he made it.

Right now, the Huskies might take being in position to have a game-winning shot against the Bears tonight.

Posted by Dawg Pack!

5:47 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Bob,

I know Holiday suited up for WAZZU and didnt play, is he looking like he will get any pt for tonight?

6:01 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Holiday is in uniform and having had another week to practice, could see time today. But his time was limited even before he got hurt so it will likely all depend on matchups.

Posted by ale

6:03 PM, Mar 12, 2008

"we'll be checking in on the game from Boston as we watch the Celtics whooping the Sonics"...great work FSN. 24 point game in the 3rd quarter.

Posted by mike

6:10 PM, Mar 12, 2008

omg they need to start better than this. make quality shots please.

Posted by Mike D

6:21 PM, Mar 12, 2008

THIS SUCKS now more than ever would I like the horrible Sonics to be in Oklahoma.

Posted by mike

6:28 PM, Mar 12, 2008

bob are we really being out muscled here to the fact that we have 7 to their i think 1 foul? this is gonna hurt us at the end.

Posted by John

6:33 PM, Mar 12, 2008

I HATE THE SONICS SO MUCH RIGHT NOW. FSN TOO.

6:34 PM, Mar 12, 2008

To some degree, I agree w/ Mike D...why must we suffer through this Sonics debacle on FSN? Pre-empt already, FSN!!

Timmy & Q-Pon getting it done so far!

LET'S GO, HUSKIES!!

Posted by B.I.

6:34 PM, Mar 12, 2008

I like the way we're getting out and running with VO leading the charge.

Also Quincy seems to be thriving on it with some nice lay-ins and open shots. Good aggression.

6:35 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Timmy & Q-Pon getting it done so far!

LET'S GO, HUSKIES!!

Posted by ale

6:39 PM, Mar 12, 2008

since i can't watch the game atm because im too busy watching the sonics get beat by 30, i just wanted to put it out there that i would love to see Arizona lose to Oregon State. just for some fun.

Posted by raindawg

6:43 PM, Mar 12, 2008

quincy has been nicely aggressive. MBA is playing under control with a nice little touch on his jump-hook. Holiday has had several nice passes in transition to open up the court. Morris is going strong to the hole. Wolf is having some troubles however and the dawgs are piling up the fouls.

6:44 PM, Mar 12, 2008

FSN's had the split-screen coverage for a little while...not too bad listening to Rondeau w/ the TV muted.

Posted by raindawg

6:45 PM, Mar 12, 2008

6:48 PM, Mar 12, 2008

raindawg - I got that weird 'error' screen that caused my repost. Guess we gotta assume our comments went through te first time....

Posted by raindawg

6:53 PM, Mar 12, 2008

I hear you Boy Howdy

Cal is inching up--lets go Dawgs!

6:56 PM, Mar 12, 2008

40-38...I'll take it.

Posted by stink

7:04 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Alright the blacked out Sonics game is over.. yes.. in eastern WA some Spanish Mexican channel has the rights to the games and they are blacked out on FSN here. At least the 2nd half will be live.

7:06 PM, Mar 12, 2008

As Bobby C. sez, we may need a few Appleby long-range daggers to pull this one out.

Posted by SnohomishRick

7:11 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Great first half. Let's hope that they keep it up.

Posted by quakers

7:18 PM, Mar 12, 2008

wooooooo they are on firee

7:18 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Ask & we shall receive...thank you, Ryan!!!

LET'S GO, HUSKIES!!!

Posted by raindawg

7:24 PM, Mar 12, 2008

sorry, but MBA did NOT travel on that last possession

and cal goes on a huge run

lets go dawgs!

run a curl for Ryan

Posted by quaker

7:29 PM, Mar 12, 2008

get dentmon outta here!

7:30 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Yuck...JD & MBA too hast on the offensive sets.

Posted by mike

7:32 PM, Mar 12, 2008

CRAP!

7:43 PM, Mar 12, 2008

No D....

Posted by Wolf!

7:45 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Ridiculous coaching.

Get wolf and appleby out of there. Neither can create a shot, and we need playmakers in there now.

Wolf still has no rebounds. Appleby is making me FURIOUS. He keeps standing there with his arms straight up. My favorite one was where his back was to Boykin and he just put his arms up. As I type this he made a 3, but I don't take it back.

Posted by Wolf!

7:46 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Ridiculous coaching.

7:50 PM, Mar 12, 2008

I dunno, Wolf...sadly, Apple's our only offensive threat.

Posted by mike

7:58 PM, Mar 12, 2008

only we would give up a 12 point lead...

Posted by mike

8:02 PM, Mar 12, 2008

play some frickin D please. jeez.

8:07 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Grueling....

C'mon, Dawgs!!!

8:10 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Turn out the lights...RATS!!!

Posted by Beej

8:11 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Game over, if only Smith could have stolen that ball that hit his hands...

Posted by Beej

8:11 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Game over, if only Smith could have stolen that ball that hit his hands...

Posted by mike

8:11 PM, Mar 12, 2008

WOW what a joke. frickin joke.

Posted by Beejis

8:12 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Game over, if only Smith could have stolen that ball that hit his hands...

Posted by Tone

8:17 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Disappointing way to end the Pac 10 season, and possibly the season as a whole. Really missed Brockmon on the boards and Appleby really killed us with his poor shooting, etc. Free throws...yuk.

Still think things look very promising for next year though.

Posted by lessbs

8:17 PM, Mar 12, 2008

So much for the UofW. Last (or close to it) in all sports. Who would have ever guessed that this would be good enough? Will the downward spiral ever end???

Posted by Geno

8:25 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Heh heh hehÖ..I didnít even bother to watch because I knew the outcome (right in the middle of a movie with the girls). Sooooooo....one more game this year IF you guys are in the N-I-T. You know......the OTHER tourney.

Enjoy your evening Husky fans...... :-) (my daughter told me to be nice).

Posted by Wolf!

8:29 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Why are people so down about that game? Cal's a good team. WE didn't have brockman, they played great except for a couple games. I didn't notice too many bad calls (maybe a couple travels here and there, a foul on MBA, but really nothing overly infuriating)

My brutally honest season re-cap
Brockman - Misses way too many easy shots. Way too many stupid turnovers. Incredible rebounding. Like his hustle on fast breaks - when venoy is in good things happen when jon runs the court (anybody else catch the announcers calling him jonathan, huh?)

Overton - The man. Not the best shooting percentage, but good things happen when he is in the game, should play more. Needs to go for fewer steals - steal passes, not the dribble. Especially obvious against Syracause. Almost like he tries too hard on d, causing him to fly by his guy and get beat.

Artem - Great effort. Wish he were just a little taller. I won't mention free throws.

Joel - One of the most infuriating players ever. Aweome one play (4-5 tonight), then he'll be terrible the next. Remember the Cal game when he threw the ball behind him in a no look pass and noboyd was there? How could he not grab that ball? Hopefully we won't see him next year.

Wolf - How do you not get a single rebound? This guy couldn't make it in the wnba, how did he make it to D1?

QP - What can I say? He's amazing once he gets going. Got the skills, too much of a team player right now. I knew he would have a huge game missing Jon. He always steps up big in blow-outs or when we're down a man (like Arizona when Hawes was out). Blame Romar and the media and public for torching him when he wanted to fufill his dream.

Apps - 3-point shooting is offset by his terrible defense in nearly all except his best games. How many times did he just stand there with his hands straight up? Especially when it was Randle. I've seen him draw like 1 charge in 30 attempts. Remember last season when he was a lock down perimeter defender towards the end? Now he just looks out of breath always.

Dentmon - Worthless. Two good games all year? Dribbled off his foot and lost us a game. Sadly, this was not even close to his worst moment of the year.

Morris - I liked this guy. HE dissapeared for most of the Pac-10 season, but he never gave up on a play, good defense.

Holliday - My man. Needs to play a LOT more, good things happen when he's on the court. Great enthusiasm, will be a cornerstone for the UW program.

MBA - Gonna be good. I like his effort. Some mental mistakes, but you gotta like his attitude and hustle.

Romar - Don't know. I think he gets out-coached and can't make game adjustments. Very charismatic, good man, good fit for coach at UW.

I think this team will be great. Quincy will be a solid scorer next year, Holiday will play outstanding defense, Venoy will slice well to the hoop and improve his shooting. I don't want to look at the incoming recruits, we have the talent right there.

And Ryan Anderson - I'm amazed by this kid. Seeing him interviewed just impressed me even more. Should have been player of the year. Can't wait to see him in the NBA, but I hope he stays 4 years because he's so much fun too watch. If anybody in the p10 is gonna hit a game winning shot with 2 seconds on the shot clock, I want it to be him.

Posted by MedinaTyee

8:30 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Well....let's hear it!

"We almost won!"

"Romar's a good guy!"

What a joke of a program.

Do you think Pondexter is capable of playing ANY defense at a Pac-10 level?

Posted by MedinaTyee

8:31 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Well....let's hear it!

"We almost won!"

"Romar's a good guy!"

What a joke of a program.

Do you think Pondexter is capable of playing ANY defense at a Pac-10 level?

Posted by wow

8:32 PM, Mar 12, 2008

with ryan gone, tell me one guy who can consistently hit three point shots? double brockman, double brockman, that's going to be the game plan for every other team,

let's hope one of these freshman can shoot, and holliday gains 5-10 lbs to get his weight up to what, 125

ima miss watch scrappleby nails 28 foot threes

Posted by huskyHusky

8:38 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Romar needs to realize that his point guard is Venoy!! He decison making and tenacity is far superior to Dentmon's. I believe they lost because Romar left Venoy out way too long near the end of the game. You can't have a line up with Tim Morris, Appleby, Joel Smith, Pondexter, and Wallace in with 3 minutes left in the game. They looked confused and lost. Romar waited until there was 21 seconds left to put his point guard in there...what was he thinking!!!

Posted by huskyHusky

8:41 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Posted by tj

8:42 PM, Mar 12, 2008

why does Cougfan and Geno love to tell us what there doing?? No one cares...I remember Cougfan told us he didnt post cause he was sick....who cares??..it's obviously a lonely thing for Geno....how is it that a Coug has posted more on a Husky blog thn any Husky fan.....just plain pathetic.....Geno, if you told other Coug fans in person or even your family that you are the leading poster on this blog they'd all be embarrased for you and the only thing you ever said over and over again was "you guys suck" in 100's and 100's of different ways!!

Posted by Trevor

8:50 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Honestly, I can't for the life of me understand why Joel Smith got so much playing time in the 2nd half as Overton and MBA were sitting on the bench. Totally mystifying.

Posted by Trevor

8:51 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Posted by bennet at IU oh my

8:52 PM, Mar 12, 2008

yeah geno, the pizza man... i'm sorry the U didn't let you in and you feel you must take it out on this blog. I'm also sorry that you have daughters, with a dad like yourself, most likey will grow up to be worn out bags by the time they head to Pullman... because face it they are going to want any male attention they can get after being "raised" by you. Go make your pizzas geno, and remember, you are not changing the world... you are a loser. If you want to place a little money on where the cougs will end up in the PAC next year I'm ready. I guess I will let you gloat in here, seeing as I doubt you wont have a single post next year.

Say hi to your daughters for me...

Posted by Frustrated

8:56 PM, Mar 12, 2008

I don't get what everyone sees about MBA. He is a black hole, throw it in to him and the other four guys may as well run back down court because its not coming back out. Someone needs to talk to him. Being a threat is one thing, forcing the same jump hook everytime is another.

Posted by Craig

9:15 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Is it just me, or is anyone else wondering why Pondexter cant play like that every game??

Posted by huskyHusky

9:17 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Yeah.. if Cougs think they will have a team next year, they will get a RUDE AWAKENING. Funny they think Michael Thompson Jr. will come in and save the day...haha, they will be fortunate to win 14 games next year. Cougs, write it down, reference it and even quote me on it!!

Posted by LA Husky

9:25 PM, Mar 12, 2008

This one is on Romar. He, for the life of him, couldn't figure out what lineup to play and how to counter Cal. Outcoached. I was at the game and it was all i could to to restrain myself from putting Holiday and Overton back on the court in the second half myself. What is wrong with Romar? Why did he pull Overton when they were up by 10 or 12 and not play him again until there were a handful of minutes left? Was it to prove a point? Is his job to win basketball games or make college players into pillars of gentlemanly behavior like himself?

Posted by 206er

9:32 PM, Mar 12, 2008

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Royal

9:32 PM, Mar 12, 2008

3 point loss to Cal. I feel sick.

Posted by Royal

9:33 PM, Mar 12, 2008

3 point loss to Cal. I feel sick.

Posted by ROMAR_SUCKS

9:37 PM, Mar 12, 2008

ROMAR YOU SUCK!!!

Posted by HeresTheDeal

9:42 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Cougfan obviously is a frustrated wannabe sportswriter. There isn't enough response to his posts on the Cougar blog so he adopted this as his home because there is more traffic. You can tell he is a wannabe because he says things like, "as you know, I usually don't post on the weekends" and other ridiculous comments. He claims to have "fans" on this blog who appreciate his comments. I think he is a bit delusional and narcisistic, hence the mega-long posts. Like there is a whole bunch of Huskies pateintly waiting until Monday so they can hear what asshead Cougfan has to say. He is probably one of those people who never shuts up but has noone to talk to so he posts crap on here. I have actually seen him "grade" other people's posts, like his stamp of approval is some kind of feather in someone's cap or something. Really just a patheic human being. I actually have more respect for Geno.

Posted by Not a Fan

9:43 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Posted by Cougfan a dork

9:44 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Posted by Cougfag

9:45 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Posted by huskyHusky

9:52 PM, Mar 12, 2008

I'm not a Pondexter fan, but I have to admit he a good game. He is is a good garbage player, I mean he is good at getting a loose ball and putting back up and can use his athleticism for put backs. If Pondexter is our future go to guy, we're in trouble folks. I hope Venoy and MMB continue to improve and the freshmen like IT, Breeshers, and company round out the team better.

I think Pondexter is a good role player at best. My problems with Pondexter are numerous, his on the court IQ is zero, he doesn't have a natural feel for the game and is so awkward it look like he could fall at any moment, and he holds the ball way too long for his own good and his court awareness is terrible. With the right point guard who can pentrate and dish to a slashing Pondexter can pose problems for other teams, ultimately he can only be dangerous indirectly.

Posted by t man

11:10 PM, Mar 12, 2008

LA Husky is right.. Romar gets all the blame for this loss. Venoy and Applebee's went out and we don't score for 8 minutes. Dentmon looks absolutely lost and he carries the ball on every dribble. As soon as he put the two of them back in we caught back up. Romar should be on the hot seat next year.

A couple updates