Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 10, 2008 12:31 PM

Pac-10 teams announced, Brockman second team

The All-Pac-10 teams, as voted on by conference coaches, have been announced.

As expected, Kevin Love was Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year. Stanford's Trent Johnson was named Coach of the Year and UCLA's Russell Westbrook won honors as Defensive Player of the Year.

Washington's Jon Brockman was named to the All-Pac-10 Second Team and guard Venoy Overton was an honorable mention selection to the All-Freshman Team. Brockman was also an honorable mention selection on the All-Defensive Team.

Here are the teams:

PAC-10 ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM
Darren Collison, UCLA
Taj Gibson, USC
Robin Lopez, Stanford
Kyle Weaver, WSU
Russell Westbrook, UCLA

You can find the complete release here.

OLSON TO RETURN: And in case you missed it, Arizona announced today that Lute Olson will definitely return as coach of the Wildcats next season.

Posted by MT Husky

12:56 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Apparently your votes carry a lot of weight. Disregard your defensive picks and if I counted write your picks matched with 19 of 20.

Good assessment Bob.

Nice to see Overton made honorable mention for the freshmen, well deserved I think.

Posted by Cougfan

1:05 PM, Mar 10, 2008

MT: you doing the brackets next week? I want every chance I can to bury a Republican with my picks!

I suddenly don't want Bob in the ESPN bracket picks! The fact that he got one team member wrong and the fact that he missed the fact that WSU scored twice in the last 6 minutes of Saturday's game should discount him!!! BTW, that was sarcasm.

Posted by MT Husky

1:10 PM, Mar 10, 2008

"If I counted write your picks matched..."

Dumbest sentence I've ever written...I should have said I'm a democrat.

Correction:

"If I counted RIGHT, your picks matched..."

I'm not sure if I'll do the bracket or not, I'm debating. If Florida will count the picks then I'm in, I can't lose, right? (or is that, 'write'?)

Great idea though mattysimone, I'm impressed you went to that work.

Cougfan, if I do it I'm only picking teams from the red states.

Posted by boise

1:24 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Hilarious cartoon on the ESPN "Page 2" site today, parents commenting how cute their kid is when "all tucked in like a Pac-10 referee"

Posted by MattySimone

1:29 PM, Mar 10, 2008

K here it is...go to espn.com then find the tourney challenge. you may have to create an account but its free and you never get any bs spam either. the group is Pac10Rules and password is bobc should be lots of fun! you should see mine msimmons. this year is going to be crazy...it also shows the nation leader board and ave picks

Posted by BoiseGoDawg2

1:51 PM, Mar 10, 2008

The northwest teams again are sucking hind t_ _ with their ball plaers.

Posted by Chris

2:33 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Im a coug fan!! Brockman is first team and first class all the way!!

Posted by wow

3:38 PM, Mar 10, 2008

So let's get this straight

brook lopez, -18.9 pts, 8.2 reb, 2.4 to's, and 47% shooting, all of this with another decent 7 foot player on his team,

Jon Brockman -17.6 pts, 11.5 reb, 2.4 to's, and 53% shooting, all of this with no other post player on his team,

and the most telling stat in my mind

Brook Lopez -58 offensive rebounds, 2.76 a game
Jon Brockman -137 offensive rebounds 4.41 a game

and brockman's second team?

I Call BU11 SH1T!!!

Posted by johnnycougar

5:12 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Brockman should be in over Mayo, and Bayless should certainly be in over Harden. Other than that I can't disagree much. I'm completely surprised that Westbrook won Defensive POY. Not to be too much of a homer, but c'mon:

Weaver: 1.7 steals, 0.6 blocks, 3.8 Def Reb, 1.9 fouls, 32.6 minutes per game.
Westbrook: 1.6 steals, 0.2 blocks, 2.0 Def Reb, 2.4 fouls, 33.6 minutes per game.

So in fewer minutes, Weaver stole more, blocked more, grabbed more defensive boards and fouled less often. All the while guarding the best player on the other team, ranging in versatility from defending small quick guys like Appleby and Bayless to taller guys like Anderson and Taj Gibson. I wouldn't have been too surprised if they had gone with someone more prolific at blocking like Brook Lopez or Jordan Hill, but Westbrook is just a silly choice.

Posted by SnohomishRick

6:55 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Brockman not on the first team is as big a joke as the Pac-10 referees. And Weaver not being defensive player of the year is an even bigger joke. That guy shut down the best players on every team the Coug's played whether it was a power forward or point guard.

Posted by john

8:49 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Bob,

Did you know about this list when you made your predictions or are you that good assessing? lol

The only one you missed was Jeff Pendergraph