Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 10, 2008 2:58 PM

Brockman doubtful, Appleby fine

The news on Jon Brockman didn't get any better Monday as the UW forward is now being officially listed as "doubtful'' to play Wednesday against Cal, a downgrade from the questionable ruling of Sunday.

"That's a good word (to describe it), doubtful,'' said Brockman, who remains on crutches and unable to put any weight on his left foot after spraining his left ankle with 1:56 left in the second overtime at WSU Saturday. "In talking to the trainers and doctors, typically things don't turn around that quickly.''

Brockman said that while X-rays revealed no break in the foot they did show a break in an old bone spur which presents a slight complication.

However, he said he was also told that "if it's tolerable, give it a go. At the same time. not being able to walk,
I don't think it would be very smart to walk on the court when I would just be hurting the team.''

Brockman said he played on a sprained ankle in high school but that "I don't know if it was this bad. I've typically been able to walk a little bit more one or two days afer I did it. This one is going to take a little bit more medical magic.''

Brockman, however, said he remains optimistic such magic may happen.

"There is still hope,'' he said. "It's not a shut door by any means.''

UW coach Lorenzo Romar said the team will begin to make plans for playing without Brockman.

"Something great could happen and he could play Wednesday but at this point we are probably preparing, anticipating, him not being in the game,'' Romar said.

Romar said he didn't know who would start in Brockman's place but said it would be one of Quincy Pondexter, Matthew Bryan-Amaning or Joe Wolfinger. He said he will almost certainly just slip someone into Brockman's place rather than make wholesale changes to adjust.

Romar said Brockman would probably be doubtful for the entire Pac-10 tournament, which runs through Saturday (if UW were able to advance). But he said he thinks Brockman would be able to play if the Huskies make it into some sort of post-season next week.

"If we were able to get into post-season I think he'd be okay for that,'' Romar said.

In more health news, UW guard Ryan Appleby said he was bothered by a flu-like illness last week that limited his participation in practice. But he said he is recovering from it and pronounced himself cured. "I'm 100 percent,'' he said.

Appleby had a similar illness last season but played through it then, as well.

He played 34 minutes Saturday and said he was more tired than usual but said he's feeling better now. He said he hadn't lost any weight, agreeing that he really doesn't have much to lose --- he said he regularly weighs 162-165 pounds.

Romar said tests on Appleby last week were negative.

Posted by jumper

3:33 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Man, without brockman it is hard to see how this team is going to score enough points to win. Obvously other players are going to have to step up but I just don't know realistic it is to try and fill that scoring, rebounding, and defensive void.

Posted by mike

4:30 PM, Mar 10, 2008

dang big blow for the huskies to make any kind of run towards the pac 10 tourney title. grrrr. just when they were all playing really well together.

Posted by Ziasudra

6:00 PM, Mar 10, 2008

If we can manage to get past Cal without Brockman, we may get a higher seed than them. Let Jon heal for the next week, one way or another.

Posted by MT Husky

6:01 PM, Mar 10, 2008

It is far from unheard of for a team to lose their best player then inexplicably perform as a whole at a higher level. It would not surprise me if combined efforts of several of the players result in the Huskies actually playing excellent ball vs. California. Not to mention, how does a coach game-plan against the Huskies now? Braun has no clue who the offense will now run through – Qpon posting up more? MBA? Wallace? Wolfinger?

To lose Brockman for a long period of time would be a tremendous blow, but for a few games I won’t be surprised if the Huskies pull together, play some good ball, win Wednesday…maybe give UCLA a run on Thursday and hopefully have Brockman healthy for the NIT*

*Yes…I feel foolish every time I find myself excited that Huskies are (presumably and hopefully) in the NIT…the tournament that for years I have mocked. But hey, personally I think this year’s team getting in is an accomplishment and I’ll be rooting every bit as hard for them in the NIT as I would if they were in the big dance.

Posted by UWOSU

6:26 PM, Mar 10, 2008

I'd just assume that Brockman take the rest of the season off. I'd hate to see him complicate what might otherwise be a routine ankle sprain and perhaps pull a Wolfinger-type rehab stint (limp along through the offseason, not able to workout, etc. and enter fall ball rusty). Perhaps I'm going overboard, but pushing his recovery to make an NIT run? His long-term health is worth far more than that. Plus, it will be an opportunity for MBA to step-up!

Posted by Geno

6:27 PM, Mar 10, 2008

with or without Brockman you gays weren't going anywhere. He ended up a gimp from playing with the big boys....no girls in this game. Best that he sit his botty down and avoid further humility.

Posted by grant

6:48 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Geno, I don't know what's worse, your homophobia or your lack of command of the English language. Enjoy the rest of this season buddy, because the Cougs are back to the bottom after Low, Weaver, Cowgill and Bennett are all gone.

Posted by OSUBeavGod

7:01 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Geno its time to checked and wrecked by the Sea Bass Don. "Slow down", they tell me. How ignorant and reckless can you be? Afraid of your man-loving bretheren? Whats poppin'?

Your intellect is laughable, almost as laughable as teams when they face the Beaver Gods in da Corv. A cascade of love fo a playa washes throughout towns like Pullman, Washington. They LOVE me in your town, cuzzz. No less than a gaggle of seventeen idiotic cougar hos accosted me and began chanting for the Sea Bass Don.

Super Thug?? Absolutely. Bow down, then go stuff your face with "meat-a-balls", and "mama mia pizza".

HOLLA BACK SEA BASS ATTACK

Posted by Geno

7:21 PM, Mar 10, 2008

grant...too bad for you that you haven't paid any attention to Cougar games but be it that it may I must inform you of something of igmoramously admit you have no idea of - the sum of a team is greater than its individual parts.

I take it you didn't see Saturday's Bball game but I admit, I realize why you hadn't. Why sit through two...three hours of sports only to watch your team loose....right? Is that your excuse?? You know as well as I that the Huskies were destine to loose that game. Hell, they hadn’t won in nearly three years against the Cougars so why would Saturday be any different. I must admit they played their asses off only to loose but then again the Cougars were also trying their dandest to GIVE the game to them but nooooooo…the pansies couldn’t pull it off.

And now Brockman is out. It only seems fitting to yet another forgettable season….right?????????

Posted by SnohomishRick

7:59 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Geno there is no way in hell that you ever attended WSU. You are either the most illiterate college student of all time or you have lied about attending any college. Even kids at Technical schools have a better grasp of the English language than you do. Here's an idea for you, grow up.

Posted by boise

9:21 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Geno is all grown up, just ask him. He's a big time attorney and you're not. And in his spare time he critiques writing and editing, spreads the gospel of team (oddly he himself is a self-serving classless man), and probably save children and pets from danger. In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised to hear (from him) that he wears a cape and changes clothes in phone booths before flying.
Great game Saturday, the best of college ball was on display. Looking forward to the tourney!

Posted by grant

10:08 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Geno,
You just made my point for me. Your team is losing all of its best parts, so the "sum" you keep talking about will be lower. But since it is impossible to read one of your posts without a translator, I don't expect you to understand that. Enjoy the last 2-4 games of your "dynasty" while you still can.

Posted by bomberboy

10:51 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Geno...getting almost aroused over that fourth place finish? Must be cool to go through a season with such low expectations. Yup, Huskies were a HUGE disappointment...but were picked to finish 9th. The cougs, meanwhile with coach of the year were picked solid second and to make a run at UCLA for first. Sooooo, after losing SEVEN conference games, getting swept AGAIN by UCLA, swept by Stanford...going 0-4 against the two best teams in the PAC-10 is not quite legendary...losing FOUR games at home, getting swept by middle of PAC Arizona....11-7 in PAC-10...tell me again what the gloating is about??? This is special?

Posted by mike

11:36 PM, Mar 10, 2008

the matter of the fact is that while some say the cougs tried to give the game to the huskies this is just not true. any time an athlete plays especially at the collegiate level they absolutely positively want to win the game let alone against an instate rival. to say that the cougs were trying to give the game away is an insult to them and you should be ashamed. the many games that the huskies have fell short in this year are actually positive it shows that we are very close to a team that is going to be dominant. what were they saying last year about the cougs? oh yeah all those years that these juniors had lost is paying off now. is this not what the huskies are enduring now? we have a bright future dawg fans so be patient. the cougs, yes, are a system team, but they seem to only have a few players that they play. for the most part their core players are about to leave so we have no idea how these "system" guys are going to fare. we'll see how good bennett really is in the coming years if he stays.

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

KBB: best buys for '15; analysts say 2015 sales look promising new
(Honda) KBB names best buys for 2015 Kelley Blue Book recently picked these model-year 2015 vehicles as its Best Buy Award winners: Overall winner: Fo...