Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 4, 2008 9:36 PM

Holiday persevering

Seems like maybe we've written that once before already on here this year.

But that's kind of been the theme of the season for UW freshman swingman Justin Holiday as every time he's been ready to begin making a consistent impact, something seems to happen.

In late November, after he turned in an impressive defensive performance that helped UW beat Utah and advance to the New York portion of the NIT Season Tip-off he suffered a viral infection that caused him to miss one game and knock him out of enough practices that he fell out of the rotation for a while.

When he finally got back into it, he suffered a sprained MCL as well as a sprained ankle in what he termed "a freak accident'' during practice a few days before the trip to Oregon.

Holiday said he was maneuvering for a rebound, trying to split through the pack, when he tripped over a teammate's foot (apparently, Artem Wallace's) and landed funny, suffering the injury.

"It wasn't like I jumped,'' he said. "I was just trying to go to the side and get around him.''

Tuesday, he was hoping to take as active a part of practice as he has since the injury, with an eye on possibly playing this weekend against Washington State, and at least next week in the Pac-10 Tournament.

"I'm just trying to get back into it and see what I can take and what I can't take,'' he said before practice Tuesday. "That's what we're trying to do right now.''

Holiday said he didn't think he'd be 100 percent by the Cougar game but figures he should be next week.

"I'd like to (play in the Pac-10 tournament),'' he said. "I should be ready by then.''

The illness and injuries, as well as simply adjusting to the Pac-10, have meant Holiday has played just 112 minutes in 17 games this season (he was injured too late in the year to consider redshirting).

"Everything happens for a reason,'' he said. "So I'll just take it in stride and just keep fighting.''

Posted by MT Husky

8:30 AM, Mar 05, 2008

Bob, thanks for the article on Wolfinger and the update on Holiday. I can’t help but really continue to wonder how that scholarship is going to open up for next season – I hope I’m reading too much into it but I noticed there wasn’t any quotes from Holiday regarding his commitment to staying at UW…I hope he isn’t the one who opens up a scholarship, I really think he’ll be an asset with his attitude and work ethic.

Condottaruiz, great commentary on the tournament invites. I agree with you that under the scenario you presented only 5 Pac-10 teams getting in. I also thought you made some excellent points on the overall team records and the NIT really hurting Huskies…I suppose the counter argument would be, if they had taken care of business and won one of those games they’d definitely be a bubble team right now (and I also think that the Pitt loss has really haunted the Huskies…IF ONLY Dentmon had put up the shot ½ second sooner…that has kind of been the Husky season, too many close ones going the wrong way).

I understand the RPI providing some form of quantifiable measurement for determining which teams should be in the tourney, but the downside is I think it hurts just common sense evaluation of which teams have really come together at the end of the season, are playing great ball and would be a great tourney team.

On a separate note – hats off to ‘dawgs for life’ for the tourney invite to the Huskies – that was hilarious!

Posted by roberfoll

9:56 PM, Mar 05, 2008

If I were Holiday I would leave, the coaching staff has done a poor job this year and this kid can play. he sat on the bench watching others play poor defense and throw up wild shots from all over the court, not to mention the stupid amount of time they give Q.P. and Applybee, I would bet he ends up leaving to find a place that puts a high premium on defense and hustle.

A couple updates