Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 13, 2008 9:32 AM

Wednesday A.M. practice update

Or the 10 minutes or so I got to see of it, anyway, thanks to what KJR-AM's Tracy Taylor kept telling me was a "stalled vehicle'' causing the huge backup that made me about 30 minutes behind schedule this morning.

Really? A stalled vehicle causes all that mess? Couldn't it at least have been a police manhunt of a prison escapee or something? And if you've got a car that may stall, an 89 Hyundai or something, can you just stay home in the future, especially on beautiful Seattle days like this?

Rant over, on to what I was able to glean in the little time I had:

--- Looks like another player added to the injured list as center Matt Sedillo was not practicing (the rest of the team was in full pads). We'll have to wait until Tyrone Willingham meets with us later to see if that's serious or not --- he was walking around just fine with no visible wraps or anything.

--- Everybody else that was out the day before appeared to still be out, a list that includes Jake Locker. Locker, however, jogged heartily out of the tunnel and onto the field, appearing to move the best he has since he was injured last Thursday --- which brings up the point that he has had five full days of rehab now. His leg didn't appear to be as heavily wrapped as in the past and he seemed eager to get back at it.

--- Brandon Johnson, Brandon Yakaboski and Byron Davenport all were still sidelined (the defense was already over on the other side of the field by the time I got there and with my time limited, I concentrated on the offense, so I didn't really get a good look at the defense).

--- The offense ran through a few plays and with Sedillo out, the first-team center was none other than Juan Garcia (these were no-contact plays running into end zone). The first team line appeared to feature Garcia, Jordan White-Frisbee and Casey Bulyca at guards and Ben Ossai and Cody Habben at tackle. This is just that much more evidence that Garcia may indeed make it back for the Oregon game, though I think he still has some hurdles to pass before he's penciled in --- and even once back, he figures to platoon a bit.

--- Greg Christine snapped to the second unit and Ryan Tolar to the third.

--- The receivers with the first unit were D'Andre Goodwin and Alvin Logan with Chris Polk as the tailback, Walt Winter as the tight end and Ronnie Fouch --- said to have been playing really well the last few days -- as the QB.

--- The second-team WRs on the first run through were Cody Bruns and Jermaine Kearse, though they appeared to be rotating there so not sure how much to read into that.

--- The offense had run a couple of plays when coordinator Tim Lappano decided he didn't like the intensity he was seeing. "Get into the end zone,'' he yelled loud enough to be heard in Marysville. "We compete. We go hard.''

--- Among the visitors this morning was former Husky coach Don James, who usually takes in one practice this time of camp, usually speaking to the team at lunch.

--- As I drove here today, noticed that the big banner hanging on the street side of the stadium that last year featured Willingham now features a montage of player action photos. One is of Locker while another, somewhat oddly, is of Kenny James in action at Notre Dame in 2004.

All for now.

Posted by Mick

9:59 AM, Aug 13, 2008

"somewhat oddly" is no longer surprising when it comes to UW marketing.

Posted by Reality Check

10:02 AM, Aug 13, 2008

Bob -- here pretty soon it will make for less writing if you simply list who is NOT injured on this team! Good Grief! Did the water boy pull his groin, too? Is Ty nursing some golfer's elbow? This is insane!

As a person who hasn't followed summer training camp that closely in the past, is this normal? It seems like we've got key players dropping like flies.

And as a guy with very pedestrian hopes for this season (before all of these injuries), I'm finding the news to be extremely depressing.

Posted by boondawg

10:06 AM, Aug 13, 2008

I think this has to be a practical joke (not a very funny one though). Nobody use the phrase "..at least we have 'so and so'.." because aparatly that envokes a plague upon 'so and so.'

Posted by boondawg

10:07 AM, Aug 13, 2008

"apparently" (correction)

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

10:16 AM, Aug 13, 2008

Well maybe I will be right about Locker returning to practice tomorrow for light/moderate work before returning fully on Friday!

Garcia with the 1st team offense?!? Amazing, hope he sees the field (safely) on August 30th.

Some minor leg issues aren't nearly the same as all the shoulder problems we had under Skippy Neuheisel in 2002 and 2003!!!

Posted by Jason

10:17 AM, Aug 13, 2008

Heaven help the foes of Washington.

Posted by Jason

10:23 AM, Aug 13, 2008

Can we pause in amazement that Juan Garcia is practicing with the FIRST TEAM today?!?

This was a guy we penciled in as having his career over. Wow - just gives me goosebumps. Way to go, Juan!!!

Posted by Frang

10:24 AM, Aug 13, 2008

Bob,
Surprised that Anthony Boyles wasn't playing with the two deeps. Is he nicked up? What's the latest on how long Brandon will be out? Seems like we are quicky getting to the point where Polk is going to get the opening day nod.

Posted by Mike D

10:25 AM, Aug 13, 2008

How come Tolar wasn't working with the first unit when Garcia was in there?

Posted by Jason

10:31 AM, Aug 13, 2008

I think they still want to give snaps to Tolar at center, just in case. In the meantime, Tolar will probably split time with Habben and JWF.

Posted by Reality Check

10:37 AM, Aug 13, 2008

I'm hoping Juan Garcia has a mammoth year, gets drafted high, and then has a long, successful NFL career. The guy is a great inspiration and deserves to enjoy the fruits of his great attitude, work ethic, and dedication.

Posted by Sittingdawg

10:38 AM, Aug 13, 2008

Bob, I assume E.J. Savannah won't play at Oregon. Has Ty ruled him out for that game? He could be a big factor, were he to play against the Ducks, IMHO.

I have a feeling we'll see not one but *several* trick plays by UW in the opener. Think about it, huge underdogs, big conference game, lots of time to prepare. What a better way to silence the crowd and put an overzealous defense on its heels? Halfback pass? Flea flicker? Double pass with Bruns? I wonder if Polk has an arm. I'm dead serious. No reason to hold these back for a later game like you normally might for early games, this is Oregon. If anything's going to slow down Oregon's defense, it would be early misdirection and trick plays.

Bob, one more question: Will Locker have the green light to call audibles this year, and to what extent? Change routes? Change plays? Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Posted by Craig

10:40 AM, Aug 13, 2008

I'm so pumped to see Juan out there practicing, though I really hope he doesn't rush it too much, or get overly optimistic, and end up hurting himself again (knock on wood). But he has that true Husky heart beatin', and it's really great to see.

Posted by hopeful

10:41 AM, Aug 13, 2008

Sittingdawg...EJ Savannah isn't on the team. So he's not practicing. Even if something happens with his academic ineligibility, I'm sure that he wouldn't have enough practice to be ready to play @ Oregon. Not to mention he might not be ready to play with his broken humerus.

Posted by Jason

10:59 AM, Aug 13, 2008

I'd be surprised to see too many trick plays against Oregon. If the defense shifts, then it's going to be impossible for Jake to audible with it so loud down there. With young skill players, we are really going to have to rely on our run defense.

LaGarette Blount is a big fella.

If we outrun the ducks, we win that game.

Posted by Formerly Guest

11:01 AM, Aug 13, 2008

RC,

did you mention you were at the Farm? Mid 80s?

Were those Denny Green years or Jack Elway years?

Posted by Mikey

11:03 AM, Aug 13, 2008

Outrun the Ducks?

Probably unlikely.

Posted by Sittingdawg

11:07 AM, Aug 13, 2008

I think it's a perfect situation for trick plays. They've had months to prepare. Also, re: audibles - they don't need to be verbal. I'm sure you're aware of that, but a lot of noise at Autzen is going to be zero (pun intended) surprise to the Huskies.

Posted by Sittingdawg

11:09 AM, Aug 13, 2008

To clarify, I'm not saying noise won't be a factor, just that it won't be a surprise.

Posted by duck soup

11:12 AM, Aug 13, 2008

Wow, check out Patrick Chung take out two Michigan O-linemen. 0:56 mark

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

11:14 AM, Aug 13, 2008

I'm sure Lappano and the offense will also put in hand-signals for the noise. Though "school" (ha, can UZero be called a school?) won't be in, Yuck fans will have many hours to get black-out drunk in their RVs and become yelling imbeciles.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

11:17 AM, Aug 13, 2008

Locker is bigger, faster, and stronger than Chung. I'd love to see Chung try to take down Locker in the open field...Locker will burn his a** and then be nice enough to pick up his jock-strap and hand it back to him after scoring.

Posted by Formerly Guest

11:26 AM, Aug 13, 2008

sittingdawg,

I dunno on the trick plays. It seems like I do not recall this staff doing them on the road, and I do not see them doing them on the road this year.

I see them being more aggressive in their offensive play calling in general, using more misdirection. And I see them being more likely to use trickery this year, but mainly at home.

Trickery gone bad leads to TOs and stalled drives, and puts your D up against the wall. Not a nice thing to do to your young D on the road - and I don't see us doing that on the road right now.

But who the hell knows...

11:29 AM, Aug 13, 2008

To answer a couple questions:

--- Nothing new on E.J. but may be time to ask again.

--- I think Boyles is struggling to pick up the playbook a little bit and isn't quite as far ahead as hoped.

--- Tolar is getting a lot of looks at center in case they need him there, but is also working at guard and will rotate in there, as well. As I wrote, I saw about 10 minutes of practice and we never see more than 25. I'm told he practices a lot at guard and that he will rotate in there quite a bit. He is still recovering f rom off-season surgery.

--- I'm sure the team will pipe in noise at some point but I haven't heard of them doing it yet. Still more than two weeks to the game, however.

Posted by Progressivedawg

11:31 AM, Aug 13, 2008

Posted by Formerly Guest

12:00 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Progressivedawg,

"Jake Locker is not hurt. From an inside source within the University, Locker is in academic trouble and is retaking some class material."

Thanks for the scoop. So you got his MRI results, and this is what it told you?

Posted by Formerly Guest

12:01 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Bob,
How about Aguilar. If Bruns and Kearse are truly 2nd string...Hmm, I expected Aguilar.

Posted by RJ

12:08 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Academic trouble huh? That's funny cause an "inside source" told me his grades were fine but McCain wants to interview him about the VP position and wants to keep it hush-hush

Posted by wild speculator

12:11 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Bob havn't you been watching TV? According to Dino Rossi, it was Governor Christine Gregoire, not a stalled car, that made you late this morning. But of course the liberal media bias won't report THAT to you.
lols.

Posted by HowlinHusky

12:26 PM, Aug 13, 2008

I can't tell you how pleased I am that Juan is back practicing with the first unit in full pads. Simply amazing and I hope the best for him. He's a true class act.

Posted by mfsthorn

12:29 PM, Aug 13, 2008

RE: Trick plays on the road.

In 2005 the Huskies used a flea-flicker in the first quarter against Oregon -- and ran it perfectly, right up until our receiver (Shackleford or Russo - I can't remember) dropped the ball. At the time, we were leading 7-0 (Oregon thru a pick on their first offensive series) and we would have been up 14-0 if we hadn't dropped the pass.

In 2006 at USC, the Huskies came out of the tunnel, executed an on-side kick, and then ran a reverse to Marlon Wood on first down for a gain of about 50 yards. Unfortunately, our series stalled when Juan Garcia botched a shotgun snap.

Posted by mfsthorn

12:31 PM, Aug 13, 2008

RE: Injuries

If this blurb is any indication, the Dawgs are not alone on the injury front:

Posted by Ben Casanova

12:37 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Turn those frowns upside down!

Fall camp is fun and exciting. Even schools like Duke and Idaho State enjoy the anticipation of a new year.

The misery and disgust won't begin until August 30th...don't rush it!

Posted by Sittingdawg

12:56 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Or we could wait until it starts, like last year, and just see what happens. We were 3 point favorites at Syracuse and only about 4 point favorites over Boise St. Yes, not all went well last year, but you have to play the games. We beat Miami as 18-pt underdogs in '94 and lost to Nevada at home a few years ago, 15 point favorites. The game is played on the field, not by dip fans who want to cry into their beers 2 weeks before the season starts.

Posted by Formerly Guest

10:19 PM, Aug 13, 2008

MFSTHORN-
Hmm...I had forgotten about them there trick plays at UO and USC.

Maybe we will see some major risk-taking 8/30.

Husky nightcap, day 10