Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 12, 2008 8:30 AM

Tuesday a.m. links

Olympic-sized edition:

--- For our main story today I wrote about Ronnie Fouch and how he is filling in as the starting QB with Jake Locker out. Assuming Locker is really back in a day or so, this could turn out to be a long-term good thing, in a way, by giving Fouch a lot of seat time with the offense. One of the biggest questions about this team is what happens if Locker goes down for any extended period. This, at least, is giving Fouch some preparation if that happens.

--- ESPN's Bruce Feldman calls Locker one of the most indispenaible players in the country.

--- The Tucson Citizen looks at backup QB issues around the conference, with a spotlight on Arizona.

--- ESPN's Ted Miller has his daily look around the Pac-10. Of most note in there may be that it sounds as if OSU isn't having much of a QB competition and the starting job is Lyle Moevao's.

--- While UW has closed practices and we really don't know much of what the Huskies are doing, Oregon's are open, so here's a report from the Eugene Register-Guard on what the Ducks did Monday. We'll see if all the secrecy helps the Huskies come Aug. 30.

--- Here's a look at some Raiders' depth chart issues with a note on Louis Rankin.

--- I'd wondered if the Locker situation had impacted the Vegas odds any. But it doesn't appear to have much as the Huskies are still listed as 13- or 13.5 point underdogs in the opener at Oregon, actually a point or so better than the opening line.

All for now.

Posted by Curious

9:36 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Any word if Tyrone has had the time to check out Locker's MRI yet? Or does he still "not care"?

Posted by Sittingdawg

9:39 AM, Aug 12, 2008

If Jake's about to return to practice, I really doubt Willingham cares what the MRI showed. Jake's playing status mostly depends on determinations by the medical staff.

Posted by jh

9:52 AM, Aug 12, 2008

..."While UW has closed practices and we really don't know much of what the Huskies are doing, Oregon's are open, so here's a report from the Eugene Register-Guard on what the Ducks did Monday. We'll see if all the secrecy helps the Huskies come Aug. 30."... nice...

...this is SO willingham...

Posted by Mikey

9:52 AM, Aug 12, 2008

The secrecy won't help, Ty's just keeping the info minimal so when the Huskies go down hard on 8/30 he won't have as many questions to answer.

Posted by augiedawg70

10:06 AM, Aug 12, 2008

08/30/08

Washington 35, Oregon 21, maybe 28

59-37-5

Posted by UW Dawg Fan on Campus

10:18 AM, Aug 12, 2008

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get tix to the game in Eugene, but finally secured some yesterday and am now looking desperately for a hotel room. Everywhere I have tried is booked. Any suggestions? I know it is late but any advice would be nice.

Posted by Tarn

10:22 AM, Aug 12, 2008

UW Dawg,
Use a motorhome and bring lots of friends. Tarn

Posted by Sam

10:25 AM, Aug 12, 2008

You can park an RV overnight in the lot across the street from Autzen, on the northeast side. I think it's 25-40 bucks per day. Probably too late for a hotel at this point.

Posted by ducks will win!

10:36 AM, Aug 12, 2008

uw dawg, you better bring a lot of tissue!! You will be crying before halftime!

Posted by Sittingdawg

10:39 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Tears of joy. I like that. By halftime!

Posted by scott

10:45 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Bob,
Further Hammy-gate. KJR played the tape from when Ty was asked about whether he had seen Jakeís MRI yet. When pressed on why he hadnít, Ty sounded pretty defensive. But what struck me was that the reporters who where there didnít get in his face about it. The one female voice that could be heard sounded like a frightened mouse and didnít challenge Ty at all. I have heard this kind of thing before. You think the Seattle press corp is intimidated by our coach?

Posted by jh

10:50 AM, Aug 12, 2008

...statistic without comment on willingham's #1 2009 receiver:

D'Andre Goodwin. Junior. New Starter.
2007 stats: 6 receptions, 29 yards, 0 TDs.

Posted by Brother Broox

10:51 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Hey UW Dawg Fan on Campus

I'm a pastor here in the Eugene area and you can stay at my house - no problem at all.

If you win - you can stay for free and have your way with my wife.

If you lose - you have to paint my house.

GO DUCKS!!

Posted by Reality Check

10:57 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Okay, time for more reality...

I would be curious to see the opening day starting line up for each pac10 team. Then I'd like to run the following analysis:

True Frosh = 1 point
RS Frosh or Soph = 2 points
RS Soph or Junior = 3 points
RS Junior or Senior = 4 points
RS Senior = 5 points

Then I'd like to calculate the average points for each team. (i.e. -- what's the average class/experience for each team's starting line up.) My guess is the Huskies will be starting the youngest line up in the entire pac10. (Possibly by a wide margin.)

What got me thinking about this again was the list of WR's we'll be opening with as provided yesterday by Bob.

This leads me to two questions:

1) Has extreme youth ever been a positive for a college football team?
2) Why in the heck are we so young? What has Ty done with this roster? Sure, 2009 and 2010 look good. And we're building depth at the lines for the future. But what the heck have we been doing the last 3 years? To see us talking about starting true frosh at MANY positions is unthinkable.
-------
Anyway, not the kind of mood I'd like to be in the day after getting my season tickets in the mail. But the reality of the situation is that we're going into the year with perhaps the youngest starting line up I've ever seen for a Husky team. It creates a lot of questions for me and makes me very nervous about prospects for success this year.

Posted by boondawg

10:58 AM, Aug 12, 2008

I love ducks, they're delicious

Posted by pdxdawg

11:19 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Brother broox-that sounds like a lose-lose situation for Dawg fan. Either he has to paint a house (no fun) or have relations w/ one of those Eugene hippy girls (gross).

Posted by Coachs Wife

11:24 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Hi, Guys!

I'm looking for cardboard moving boxes. We've got a big house, and I need a ton of them. And soon.

If you have some. Please just leave them at the UW Football Offices, Graves Building, 3910 Montlake Blvd .

Thanks! It's been nice being here. I can't believe it's been four years!

Posted by Mora ???

11:30 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Does anyone know the details about Jim Mora's contract with the Seahawks? I think the Huskies blew it by not getting him when they had a chance. Is there any chance of Mora coaching the Huskies next year if Ty is gone?

Posted by Finn Hill Dawg

11:34 AM, Aug 12, 2008

The ship has sailed with Mora.

Could you imagine the excitement that would be building if Mora was the coach right now?

Instead of hoping and praying to get to 6-6, we would be talking 8-10 wins and the return of Husky Football.

Instead we are left with another year of Ty Ball.

Posted by Sittingdawg

11:35 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Mora: Answer = no.

You people are unbelievable. The season is about to start. Can't we wait until the end of the season to lambaste the coach? This is worse than Gilby. Nothing is changing soon. Let's talk about X's and O's, practice, hot girls, anything. 99% of posts don't need to be about TW. It's worthless.

Posted by truth

11:41 AM, Aug 12, 2008

No, we can blast the coach now based on his 13 year performance.

Bad coaches don't suddenly turn into good ones.

Posted by HarborDawg

11:55 AM, Aug 12, 2008

The only way Mora gets out of his contract with the Hawks next year is if he gets that GOD gig...

Posted by hsky

11:57 AM, Aug 12, 2008

I'm with Sittingdawg. Enough harping on Willingham and the youth of our players. We've got what we got and that's not going to change. These are some talented kids and Willingham made some much needed coaching changes during the off season. I understand the realities but we haven't even played a down yet. Relax already and quit giving the other teams' fans bulletin board material. Get behind your team and have a little faith!

Posted by jh

12:12 PM, Aug 12, 2008

..."My guess is the Huskies will be starting the youngest line up in the entire pac10. (Possibly by a wide margin.)"...

...what this is is a commentry on willingham's recruiting or lack there of the previous two years (2006 and 2007)...

...and with the four dropouts from his 2008 class...you have to wonder about where that class would stand by comparison vis-a-vis the rest of the Pac-10...

Posted by Mike D

12:18 PM, Aug 12, 2008

1-10
2-9
5-7
4-9

I'd say it's time to welcome some new players, I don't care if they are freshmen. Clearly whomever was on the field the last four years was not getting it done. You can pin it on coaching all you want, but the players were inferior.

Posted by hsky69

12:27 PM, Aug 12, 2008

And who exactly are the four "dropouts" from the '08 class?

Posted by jh

12:34 PM, Aug 12, 2008

..."You can pin it on coaching all you want, but the players were inferior."...

...if recruitng isn't part of college coaching...I don't know what is...

Posted by jh's conscience

12:36 PM, Aug 12, 2008

Leave it to jh, the recruiting expert.

Posted by jh

12:40 PM, Aug 12, 2008

...the four kids willingham recruited and "signed"...who either couldn't graduate from high school...or couldn't gain admission from the UW Admissions Office...

...which begs the question...what is willingham doing "signing" high school players that haven't been vetted by the University?...

...are his signees just PR knowing that their status is "iffy" or knowing that they won't ever play for UW?...

Posted by DawgAlum

12:54 PM, Aug 12, 2008

Bob- With Garcia hurt, Hasty leaving, Savannah's issues, and Shaw now leaving, it seems like this team is dealing with a lot of adversity. How serious are these developments relative to those experienced by other DI teams? Are the Dawgs facing more adversity than what's to be expected?

Posted by OlyDawg

12:59 PM, Aug 12, 2008

Looks like jh's mom must've fed him sugar cereal this morning. His ramblings seem more desperate and manic than usual!

Posted by jh

1:08 PM, Aug 12, 2008

...yea...don't comment a pertinent question...bring up my mother...talk about whistling past the willingham graveyard!... jeeze...

Posted by Mike D

1:13 PM, Aug 12, 2008

I hate to dignify the biggest moron on this blog but I will.

Who recruited the majority of players that played the last four years, jh.

You obviously didn't go to ND with comments like that.

Posted by hsky69

1:25 PM, Aug 12, 2008

Fine. Kelemete, Noble, Bronson and Blackman. So a delay in admissions equates to "dropout?" Really? Is that what you are sticking with?

Posted by jh

1:35 PM, Aug 12, 2008

...95% of the current team is willingham's recruits, idiot. Like it or not...

Posted by jh

1:37 PM, Aug 12, 2008

..."a delay in admissions"... 'ya got to love the spin!...

Posted by OlyDawg

2:07 PM, Aug 12, 2008

Was it Smacks or Cinnamon Toast Crunch this time jh?

And YOU'RE talking about "spin"? The giant hand of irony just dropped a 50 ton hammer on the internet, congrats.

Posted by hsky69

2:18 PM, Aug 12, 2008

Seriously Jim, accusing someone else of spin is pretty comical.

Are you sure your name isn't Brooke? You remind me of an ex girlfriend...

Posted by Husky19

2:19 PM, Aug 12, 2008

jh,

Those 4 guys are still not out of the picture and I think 2 of the 4 will make it into school this year.

But I need to know; what's your beef with Ty, seriously? I need to know why you come to a Husky blog, blast the coach constantly and give sarcastic answers to all the loyal husky fans.

UW fans have WAY more to be upset with him than you do (assuming you are actually a ND fan). He didn't ruin ND, his 3 year record there is almost exactly what Weis has after 3 years.

Weis had 3 WINS LAST YEAR, 9 CONSECUTIVE LOSSES!!! Where's your anger regarding Weis? Just because Weis can recruit doesn't mean ND will win and it sure doesn't mean he is a good college coach.

Your hate for Ty makes one really wonder what it is about him that you don't like. I mean the guy hasn't coached at ND for 3 years now, going on 4 and you still have that much animosity for him? There is more to it, I'm sure.

Do you think Ty being a ND coach and a permanent part of the ND history is a blemish on ND football?

Posted by Husky19

2:27 PM, Aug 12, 2008

Maybe Weis should learn from Ty or the husky faithful bloggers, how to "spin" things.

I recall before the 3 win 2007 season started that Weis was upset when someone insinuated that ND was rebuilding. He said, I hate when people say they are rebuilding, that's an excuse!

Uh...Weis...what happned?...only 3 wins...9 consecutive losses...2 tims getting blown out of bowls...

Here's a spin for you Mr Weis:

With Ty's junior and senior players we were able to win but with my 3 years of recruiting top classes and top players we were only able to squeeze out 3 wins. However, we never rebuild, we just um, we just um...we are delaying winning until I can get some more bullets!

Posted by Mike D

3:03 PM, Aug 12, 2008

Read my original post, jh (idiot back.)

I was talking about the last four years, hence the records I displayed.

Were 95% of UW's players Willingham's in 2004-07?

I didn't think so.

Posted by Puppy who?

8:02 PM, Aug 12, 2008

Hey U Dawg The Games not till 7pm . SO drive down the same day and drive home after the game. Its not that hard of a drive. Sheeeesh We drove to Wazzu watched a nite game and drove home. So DONT be a pouting puppy. Say hi, ill be in section 14 row 63 seat 18.

Posted by tuffdawg

8:04 PM, Aug 12, 2008

Bob- Welcome to the Jake Locker butt kissing club. Geez, marry the guy or something. Give Fouch his due respect. The kid can throw the ball. We did not win games last year because.....you have to have a pass the ball to play in the PAC 10. Remember the damage Tuitama layed on the Huskies? Quit kissing butt and let the boys battle it out. Report the facts without your bias. I get tired of your slant.

9:02 PM, Aug 12, 2008

Tuff Dawg --- I'm trying to figure out what part of the article was slanted against Fouch? Can you point out some specifics to me?

On those duplicate tickets

Afternoon practice notes

Willingham afternoon notes

More on new potential Seattle bowl game

Tuesday a.m. links