Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 16, 2008 4:07 PM

Scrimmage? Maybe. Definitely no Locker

Just back from the 25-minute session of practice open to the media, and the team appeared to be prepping for a scrimmage, though we got no confirmation of that.

Whatever took place after we left, Jake Locker was not a part of it as he was again on the sidelines. Unlike yesterday, when we saw him do some throwing and running, today we didn't see him do much of anything. With a day off tomorrow, maybe he was just taking it easy to give two days of rest before practice resumes Monday.

We counted 14 players as not in full pads --- Locker, RBs Brandon Yakaboski and Brandon Johnson, OLs Matt Sedillo, Juan Garcia, Jordan White-Frisbee and Casey Bulyca, TE Michael Gottlieb, WR Devin Aguilar, CB Byron Davenport, S Victor Aiyewa, DB Desmond Davis, LB T.J. Poe and CB Anthony Gobern. Only the latter two have serious injuries, however.

We're not sure what the situation is with Garcia since we didn't even see him out there --- the rest of the players were in various stages of uniform, some running the steps, others on bikes.

UW coach Tyrone Willingham said earlier in the day that there were only two more players on the injured list today than at the same point last year. Several of us looked up our stories from a year ago and actually counted that the difference would be six --- 14 this year opposed to eight last year. Of course, some of the 14 missing today are certainly for precautionary reasons, so maybe Willingham doesn't count them as injured.

Willingham also said earlier in the day that only Poe (and surely Gobern, though he didn't mention him) were out for the Oregon game, with everyone else expected ready by then.

And sorry to focus just on injuries, but frankly, that's all I've really got as all we saw was conditioning and some drills, and the injured guys standing around, so that's pretty much what there is to report.

OTHER NOTES

--- Former Husky Olin Kreutz, in town with the Bears to play the Seahawks tonight, was on campus earlier in the day. Not sure if he met with UW players or not. DE Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, who like Kreutz is a native of Hawaii, said he saw Kreutz but didn't get a chance to meet him --- that was at lunch, and maybe they met later. "I just saw him and thought 'gosh, I wish I would have known that was him,''' Te'o-Nesheim said.

--- A UW official said the school should have a reponse next week to the news this week of the change in the Metro shuttle service.

--- J.P. Giglio, the one AP voter who cast a vote for the Huskies, offers his reasoning here.

All for now.

Posted by poster

4:38 PM, Aug 16, 2008

Hey Bob, no apology needed on the injury reports, even if they haven't changed much. Whatever you (can) provide is appreciated.

Did you manage to talk to Te'o-Nesheim, or are you just reporting what he said to someone else? The reason I ask is I saw some pictures of him from picture day and he looked in very good shape. If you saw him up close, can you notice any change in his appearance? If he really hammered it hard this summer and gained strength and conditioning, then he could really be a playmaker this year.

Posted by mikey

5:14 PM, Aug 16, 2008

wow that starline motorcoach scam is robbery on the open plain. thats all i have to say about that really.

Posted by jh

5:28 PM, Aug 16, 2008

...check out J.P. Giglio at your local Improv or Comedy Store...

Posted by reader

5:33 PM, Aug 16, 2008

It's great to read Bob piss and moan about access all the time. Saying, I can only report about injury's bc I only have access to the first 25 minutes of practice is a access wine... you say it all the time... do you job... we don't have access to interview coaches and players and you do... do your job and interview someone.

Posted by tom ross

6:17 PM, Aug 16, 2008

Regardless of all this yakking, what is the day that the starting lineups for the oregon are announed? Barring, of course, a Friday or Saturday injury. Locker's ongoing absence is not concerning me. Yet. But, at some point it will and I can't imagine going into the season with only two QBs and of them a pure freshman, who wasn't recruited that all heavily anyway. When do we know the starters, Bob?

Posted by Formerly Guest

7:21 PM, Aug 16, 2008

Reader,

If Bob's coverage has been not very illumintating the last 3 days because he is lazy, why do the other local rags seem to have the same problem? Are they all colluding to not report the news we ask for?

Molly Yanity had a nice peice today, which basically she spent all week putting together and saved for today- which is the PI's version of the Sunday paper. If you read her stuff and the TNT stuff regualrly, it seems that all these people seem to get about 5 minutes of acces to a coordinator or a player every other day and that is it. And of course they get the daily TW press conference during which he basically says nothing.

When you find the news source that "interviews someone" because "they have access to interview players and coaches," let us in on it. Thanks buddy!

Posted by Joe

7:34 PM, Aug 16, 2008

Wow, Bob is there a way the Times can ban this guys IP already?

After reading Giglio's explanation of his AP votes I have to say he's going way out on a limb but I have tremendous respect for him because he definitely researches teams before he votes for them. A lot of the AP voters just don't have the time to research all the other teams in the country and make their picks which tends to make the poll biased.

Posted by Roddy Radiation

8:30 PM, Aug 16, 2008

4 of our top 5 interior OL are on the shelf. I'm a lot more concerned about that than I am about Jake.

If Jake has been running stairs and throwing 7 on 7's I'm sure he will be there come Aug. 30.

Posted by Jordan

8:50 PM, Aug 16, 2008

ANOTHER DAY ON THE HUSKY BLOG and the sky is falling for people for another reason. The sky is falling today because Gino Simone chose to go to WSU. First of all WSU x3 he is not the best recruit in the state. I'm not sure he is the top receiver in the state but there is no doubt he is a talented player. But you sure made me laugh especially with the All American comment. I really think the PT had a lot to do with his decision because I will be honest I am shocked at his decision.

I don't want to put the kid down but I think there are 28 Gino Simone's sitting down in the state of California. So I don't think this is a huge loss. And I think he probably would have been about number 6 or 7 on our depth chart the next 3 years. And we don't really need a whole lot of running backs or receivers this year.

The biggest downside for me is Jake Heaps. Because if Simone had been a Husky that would have been one more thing pulling him to UW. As it is, I don't think there is a chance in hell Heaps follows Simone to WSU. But I am a lot less confident now that Simone isn't at UW and there is the very strong possibility he goes to BYU. A possibility that only increased today.

Posted by Jordan

8:51 PM, Aug 16, 2008

WSUx3 what exactly is a faget.???????????????

Posted by Jordan

8:56 PM, Aug 16, 2008

And WSUx3 if you meant what I think you meant, I don't think he is. In fact, if you have a girlfriend I would say it's probably better than 50% that she would rather date Jake Locker than you.

Posted by Jordan

8:59 PM, Aug 16, 2008

You should ask her. See if her eyes look away before she gives you an answer. And if he is in fact a "faget" and your girlfriend would rather date him what does that say about you?????????????????????????????????

Posted by johnb

9:23 PM, Aug 16, 2008

Bob, can you even reall ybelieve a single word that Willingham says anymore?

Posted by Packy (Tennessee)

9:24 PM, Aug 16, 2008

Here's a long shot Bob, and anyone else... Jake Locker mysteriously stays injured and does not ever appear to be participating fully, at least not for the 20 minutes that reporters see. Ronnie Fouch is named the starter at Oregon. What are the chances that Locker comes off of the sideline for the first series, healthy as ever?

Posted by MH

9:49 PM, Aug 16, 2008

Watching the scrimmage today, I saw a few things. Leonard has some issues with handling snaps. I saw him fumble it 3 times. Thank god he is the number 3 QB.

Fouch has a beautiful fade pass to Middleton during some goal line situations. It was picture perfect in the corner of the end zone. We are going to see some beautiful things from Middleton in the future.

And, If I got my numbers correctly, Johri Fogerson runs the ball hard. I saw him decleat quite a few linebackers and DBs out there. I was truly impressed.

Posted by mattysimone

9:58 PM, Aug 16, 2008

a johri and polk rb by committee would be sick!!! I was wondering the same thing about fouch being named the starter :) If I was ty id do the same thing. you gotta play the press along with the enemy! Id be the biggest jerk ever :) will wAZZu dork ever die? this guy has a string of about 64 of the most ridiculous posts ever. its gotta be a joke

10:30 PM, Aug 16, 2008

To Reader --- I hope it doesn't come off as moaning about lack of access. Just trying to explain why that's all I had today. That's all. And we weren't given access to interview anyone afterward. I would gladly have done so.

On starting lineups --- UW will announce a depth chart the Monday before the Oregon game. But those are sometimes pretty fluid, and as coaches have said, a number of spots will basically be rotations or committee --- RB, WR and DL, where there is the most competition.

10:33 PM, Aug 16, 2008

And yes, I did talk with Te'o-Nesheim today. I don't ever quote anyone that I didn't talk to directly (or in the case of a coach, sometimes it's said in the group sessions where we all have access to the quotes). I happened to talk with Daniel for a while before practice for a story down the road and he told me about Kreutz being there today.

As for comparing different reporters, I'd really like to stay away from that on here. Everybody on the beat is trying their best and does a good job. We all have different situations --- space requirements, what is asked of us on different days, etc. --- and maybe some people like one more than another. That's fine. That's one of the beauties of our country in all media is having a number of choices for information.

Posted by mutt

10:38 PM, Aug 16, 2008

In jolly old England, I believe a fagot is a piece of fire wood ! If I'm correct on this and I believe I am, Locker is being called a piece of fire wood, the nerve..

Posted by mattysimone

11:02 PM, Aug 16, 2008

a Fag is also a cigarette down under lol so does that mean jake is on fire?

Posted by BoiseTruth

11:15 PM, Aug 16, 2008

206dogg, & FG,

Kellen Moore Update:

Whew! crazy offensive scrimmage tonight. Something like 800 yards of O. 8 TD's. All 5 QB's that played were involve with a TD.

In the QB derby, KM was solid as usual. He went 13 of 21 for 159 yards. Threw for 1 TD. Led a drive for another TD, and threw 1 pick. On the pick, KM threw long down the sideline, but his receiver pulled up short. Don't know who made the mistake, but I'm blaming the WR.

Hamdan, also had a nice night. He went 9 of 14 for 214 yards. 3 TD's , 1 pick.

WR Vinny Perretta has just been on fire this fall camp. Hamdan hit him twice on short throws and he took both of them to the house. That's why Hamdan's TD's and yardage look so good. Although he did make a beautiful throw to Austin Pettas for a legit, long TD. When Moore hit Perretta in the last scrimmage Perretta took it to the house for him also. It looks like the key is - throw it to Parretta, and let him make you look good. :)

The other three QB's also had good numbers so I don't think anybody really made much head way tonight. The battle continues. Looks like it will go down to the final scrimmage next week.

Great crowd there tonight. Fun had by all. Yay football.

Posted by BoiseTruth

12:07 AM, Aug 17, 2008

NBC Sports says UW will play Air Force in the Poinsettia Bowl.

Posted by John in Kent

12:11 AM, Aug 17, 2008

MH --

In order to see Saturday's practice you signed a non-disclosure statement, as we all did who saw it.

Keep your word. You don't need to say anything to anyone, especially in a public, electronic forum.

Posted by HarborDawg

7:20 AM, Aug 17, 2008

Bob,

if ever there were times to remove posts, you should probably watch WSUx3 the last couple days.

He gets pretty offensive at bottle time, starting around 2 in the afternoon.

And thanks for the Metro news, we will stay tuned. Like thousands of others we hop on for a free ride to husky on game days so the outcome may change lots of plans.

Posted by HarborDawg

7:22 AM, Aug 17, 2008

that's Husky "Stadium"

Posted by Brandon UW

9:02 AM, Aug 17, 2008

Cougs get Gino Simone...

Posted by old timer

9:48 AM, Aug 17, 2008

I thought the idea behind the free rides on Husky shuttle was to provide an incentive to not drive to the games. There's more than private enterprise involved here. There's only room for so many cars on the roads on game day.

Posted by BoiseTruth

9:54 AM, Aug 17, 2008

Posted by Formerly Guest

12:43 PM, Aug 17, 2008

MH,
Thanks for the scoop, but I agree with John in Kent. The coach will try to close scrimmages to the Tyee people I would think if they do a bunch of blabbing.

Bob,
I really enjoyed the pieces by you and Bud Whithers today in the sports page.

BT,
Thanks for the great update on BSU's scrimmage. Is Hamdan the senior?

Thanks all.

Posted by Steve

2:59 PM, Aug 17, 2008

MH-

Keep your observations to yourself. I would like to continue going to practices as a Tyee donor, and don't want those chances ruined because you wanted to scoop people with an "I know something you don't know" routine. It's a privilege- don't abuse it. Especially when you have your facts wrong, it wasn't Fogerson you saw having a good day.

Posted by 206dogg

4:23 PM, Aug 17, 2008

BT-
Thanks for the update! Wow, that would've been a fun scrimmage to watch.

Posted by SnoDawg

7:54 AM, Aug 18, 2008

Yes, those Tyees attending practices need to honor the non-disclosure agreement they signed and keep their yaps shut. That said, it would be nice if Coach W were less concerned with confidentiality and limiting media access and more concerned with getting 8-9 wins this year. The bunker mentality sure hasn't worked well since he arrived in Seattle, has it?

Sunday links

Scrimmage? Maybe. Definitely no Locker

Saturday notes

Huskies get one vote in AP poll, other notes

Husky nightcap, Friday edition

Drive sunny side up in these convertibles under $40Knew
The Northwest might have the best summers on the planet. Where else can you find the combination of moderate temperatures, majestic landscapes and mer...