Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 7, 2008 11:52 AM

Noble shaken, but not daunted

UW freshman defensive lineman Craig Noble is stil hopeful of arriving at Husky camp sometime in the next few weeks, said his high school coach Matt Kerstetter.

Noble was unable to come to camp this week as initially planned because he hasn't yet passed the California High School Exit Exam, a requirement to receive a dipolma in the state.

Kerstetter, the coach at Taft High, said Noble took the test on July 29 --- the same day as the 5.4 earthquake that rocked Southern California.

"He was taking the test at the time and he had to walk out of the room,'' Kerstetter said. "He had a little extra pressure on him that day.''

But Kerstetter said Noble feels confident he passed and when he hears the results "he'll be on the next plane out of town.'' Kerstetter said Noble has fulfilled all other requirements. He had taken the Exit Exam one other time but didn't get the score he needed, Kerstetter said.

Kerstetter said Noble has been told it will take about three weeks to get the results of the test. That means it could take until around Aug. 19 or so. If Noble doesn't pass the test, he will need to take it again, and that could result in having to wait until January to enroll.

It's an unanticipated delay for a player the Huskies hoped could help out immediately this season.

But DL coach Randy Hart said Wednesday he still plans on having any of the freshmen who arrive this year play, noting the season runs until Dec. 6. "I'm not sure we can afford to redshirt any of them,'' Hart said.

This latest news begins to give more clarity to the picture surrounding UW's ineligible players. Vince Taylor is now officially on the roster, and Senio Kelemete could be in next week, according to his coach at Evergreen High, Shaun Tarantola. Dominique Blackman has said he won't enroll until January, and it is thought that RB Demitrius Bronson is retaking some classes on-line and may also have to delay his enrollment.

Posted by jh

12:50 PM, Aug 07, 2008

...good reason why willingham shouldn't be "recruiting" in California...

Posted by Husky19

12:58 PM, Aug 07, 2008

3 wins in 2007 with top rated recruits!

By the way, what happened to your QB? In trouble once again?

I'd rather have a player trying hard to get into a school to earn a degree and have a chance to play D-1 football than a #1 QB out of Cali that doesn't seem to understand the incredible opportunity given to him.

Maybe Weis should stay out of Cali also!

Posted by Caldawg

1:00 PM, Aug 07, 2008

NY why are you so high on Cal. They have similar issues to dawgs. Young unproven receivers, youg RBs. Not much experience on D line. Solid LB, going to 3-4. And unlike the Huskies who have a great QB they can't make up their mind who the QB should be. I expect to beat them again this year. I expect both the ducks and Huskies to finish in front of Cal. That is the way it should be.

Posted by stilladawg

1:01 PM, Aug 07, 2008

Bob are you able to take pictures and post them with your blog....

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

1:14 PM, Aug 07, 2008

I was just giving them another look. I imagine they'll work out their QB issues, their WRs are young so I guess it largely depends on if Nate Boetang (transfer from FL) can play this year. Best looked very good to me until he went down and their line should be in the top half of the Pac-10.

As for defense, Mika Kane seems like he'd be a good NT while Derrick Hill could play NT or SDE. Rulon Davis and Alulalu can play WDE. Their LBs are well known and are very good and their DBs should at least be ok.

It remains to be seen if they can work out their QB, RB, and WR issues/lack of experience. When Matt Malele went down, their run defense just wasn't the same so it will be interesting to see if another year of experience for Kane and Hill will fix that.

Posted by bingbong

1:20 PM, Aug 07, 2008

bob, you rock. nice work.

Posted by Jerk Detector

1:23 PM, Aug 07, 2008

Hey, JH's Rear End - how's it going, buddy? Haven't seen you on here for awhile. Please give us an update soon on your current level of discomfort, and let us know if you need anything, or if we can help you do something to stop the pain. Hopefully it isn't too bad, though, since JH is such a pinhead.

Posted by Mike D

1:28 PM, Aug 07, 2008

Any update on Bradly Roussel? I love the new video highlights on the freshman player pages on gohuskies.com...He just seems to fly around and smack people...any shot at seeing him crack the field this year? I know he's undersized and there was some drama around his recruitment here, but he clearly wanted to be a Dawg and he looks like he brings a high level of energy.

Posted by Huge Husky Fan!

1:43 PM, Aug 07, 2008

Seriously question guys....how many touchdowns do we lose by on August 30th? I'm hoping for one, but expecting about 3.

Posted by Jerk Detector

1:49 PM, Aug 07, 2008

Serioulsly question? Here's your "seriously" answer:

nice try, Ducktard. Now go back to work on your Doctorate Thesis.

Posted by Reality Check

1:49 PM, Aug 07, 2008

"Huge Husky Fan"

uh - huh... care to explain those white feathers sticking out of your rear end?

58 - 37 - 5

Posted by BainbridgeDawg

1:56 PM, Aug 07, 2008

Online courses to acquire eligibility...UW has now sunk to the level of Ohio State and other other football factories. Why is that a coach who "does it the right way" has to be given so many shortcuts by his bosses? I don't recall Don James or even Slick Rick being given such advantages.

Posted by Huge Duck Fan!

1:57 PM, Aug 07, 2008

See I feel the opposite. I'm really worried about about Costa, his knee, and that he was only recruited by WAC/MWC schools. I'm also worried that Johnson's knee, that Blount is over-hyped, that Jeff Kendall and Hucko aren't as good as the guys they are replacing.

I'm also worried that 50/50 will stay 50/50 and that Aaron Pflugard is the 2nd leading WR returning with under 20 catches and just a 9.9 yards per catch avg.

On defense, I'm worried that our projected starting two DTs aren't that good, especially after missing all of last year. I'm worried that Nick Reed is also overhyped since he got 6 of his 12 sacks against WSU and a terrible pass blocking OL in ASU. I'm not just worried, I do know that our LBs are amongst the worst in the Pac-10.

For all the hype that our secondary gets, they also racked up big numbers against bad and middling teams. Plus, we got burned last year by Locker, who passed for almost 300 yards and our defense gave up 34 points to you guys despite Locker being so young. He also gashed us for a good amount of rushing yards.

You know what else I'm worried about? That Kent Baer won't be your DC! Ed Donatell scares me because he comes from the NFL where he was a top DC and had to defend against far more sophisticated attacks than our OC's. I'm also concerned because the Pac-10 has now had a year to analyze our OC's offense and he is a known quantity. It sucks that he no longer has a RS-SR QB and veteran RB who was far better than anyone on our roster know.

Man I'm a Huge Duck Fan but I'm also hugely worried!!!

Posted by RC's nemesis

2:03 PM, Aug 07, 2008

"Whatever the case, this will be my last direct address to you duck -----. You guys just aren't worth it, and ignoring your brainless blab is probably the best strategy. Have fun."
--- Reality Check, 4:13pm, YESTERDAY.

Oh RC, the post wasn't directed at you, and you still couldn't resist responding, could you?!

Posted by Shooting Treys

2:06 PM, Aug 07, 2008

Hey Bob (or anyone else), do these issues of eligibility happen at all colleges? I imagine they do.

Posted by fm

2:08 PM, Aug 07, 2008

...lierone shouldnt be anywhere except prison for theft of taxpayer dollars.........

Posted by jh

2:12 PM, Aug 07, 2008

...wasn't Chancellor Young at UCLA a couple of years ago?... ...yea, check it out...

... http://www.ucop.edu/ucophome/commserv/2young.html ...

...I can't believe he had any eligibility left...how did willingham know?...I wonder if he had to go through any "bridge" courses to get him out of high school?...

Posted by Happy Student

2:12 PM, Aug 07, 2008

BainebridgeDawg at 1:56 -

Since I don't detect irony in your post (though it should be there), I feel I must respond. There was probably very little "online" activity of any kind during the DJ years, and not that much more (at least of the education variety) during RN's years. If there had been, I'm sure they would have used it.

Plus, I find it egregiously insulting that you would have the temerity to assail, nay, castigate those of us who have been beneficiaries of online studies. As an 11 year old, I myself just finished up 6th grade by taking online courses, and I did just fine.

Posted by Caldawg

2:12 PM, Aug 07, 2008

jh, care to comment on ND and your QB get a starring role on You Tube. Understand there is an on going investigate to see if "code of conduct was violated". Not to worry I am sure CW has it all under control.

Posted by Reality Check

2:16 PM, Aug 07, 2008

oh goodie... the duckies are back... or maybe it's just one pathetic loser with multiple monikers...

Whatever the case...

58 - 37 - 5

And that's not directed at any particular individual... it's just for the enjoyment of all of my fellow Husky fans on here...

Posted by camano

2:18 PM, Aug 07, 2008

jh, coach called...hot dogs, more hot dogs

Posted by jh

2:18 PM, Aug 07, 2008

...feel free to go to bobbi's sister blog... http://forums.seattletimes.nwsource.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=45 ...to "Jimmy Clausen Problems Already"...

...that dead horse has already been beaten...but at least it will keep you occupied...

Posted by Jerk Detector

2:19 PM, Aug 07, 2008

Well, JH, perhaps they didn't have high school bridge courses a few years ago when he graduated. But I'm sure they do now, and you might consider taking advantage of them to finally get that HS diploma.

Posted by jh's rear-end

2:20 PM, Aug 07, 2008

ohhhhhoohhh someone asked about my health earlier and i appreciate that. sadly his head is up in me deeper than ever. if i wasnt so accustomed to the pain, it would be unbearable but i am and it hurts more than charlie weis body checking (body blubbering) an old lady to be first at an all you can eat buffet.

can you get me something? maybe some earplugs because he even tries to talk to me about willingham when he is up in my space.

Posted by Steve

2:28 PM, Aug 07, 2008

And the 'dead horse' subject of Tyrone and his recruiting/whatever else you don't like hasn't been beaten to death jh?

Posted by jh

2:31 PM, Aug 07, 2008

...naw...

Posted by JC

2:32 PM, Aug 07, 2008

Bob, I know there's freedom of speech and everything in this country, but jh has gone from annoying to flat out disrespectful and obnoxious.

Posted by OlyDawg

2:46 PM, Aug 07, 2008

I'm pretty sure its not a constitutional right to distort the facts and constantly lie.

Posted by poster

2:47 PM, Aug 07, 2008

The First Amendment protects against a government actor abridging the speech, not against a private party abridging the speech.

There may be some way the Times is funded by federal government, I do not know. But if not a government actor, the First Amendment allows Bob to delete everything any of us says. State law can be different.

"Congress shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press..."

Posted by Caldawg

2:55 PM, Aug 07, 2008

I just find it intersting that jh rants on about TW and recruiting. Yet we rarely hear anything about the problems at ND. And based on ND results last year one would think he would be on the ND site asking why, when CW does such a great job of recruiting, so much better then TW, why are the results so similar. Is it maybe CW can't coach?

Posted by Two Dawgs

3:32 PM, Aug 07, 2008

Maybe jh is on the Husky blog because the ND site has higher standards.

Posted by augiedawg70

3:34 PM, Aug 07, 2008

Higher blog standards! Now, that was funny. I just read another preview of ND and now I understand why jh has to trash Willingham. His world could end on October 25th. I think I've changed my mind; I don't know if the Irish will even beat San Diego State in its opener.

Posted by jh

3:52 PM, Aug 07, 2008

...y'all should be more concerned with your crap coach than me...but it sounds as if the willingham Titantic Tea Party...is meeting a little early this afternoon...raise those pinky fingers while sipping gentlemen...

Posted by doug

3:58 PM, Aug 07, 2008

jh is here doing a service and you posi-dawgs just insult him.

Posted by jh

4:19 PM, Aug 07, 2008

...yeah!...

Posted by art

9:29 PM, Aug 07, 2008

Bob

Thanks for th3se updates. If you get time pls
keep us up to date on JR Hasty at Central as I
and many more would like to hear how he is
doing after the turmol at UW.

Posted by Reality Check

10:30 AM, Aug 08, 2008

wazzu --

I'm so tired of people crying "First Amendment" to justify just about any behavior. The first amendment gives a right to free speech. It does NOT require a private enterprise (or any other entity) to provide a platform for that speech.

i.e. -- you're free to say what you'd like. But, it doesn't mean someone else has to give you a place to do it. You wanna babble to yourself on a street corner or your home -- knock yourself out. You want to use someone else's outlet for your babble and they don't allow it. That's perfectly fine within the context of the Constitution. Gosh, do they even teach American history and/or the Constitution in school any more? It seems everyone references it, but few seem to know what it actually says!

Sunday links

Scrimmage? Maybe. Definitely no Locker

Saturday notes

Huskies get one vote in AP poll, other notes

Husky nightcap, Friday edition

What's in a wheel size?new
Dear Tom and Ray: I drive Lincoln Navigators. I like as good a ride as possible for this size vehicle. If I remember correctly, the one I bought in 20...