Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 11, 2008 7:05 PM

Husky nightcap, Aug. 11 edition

A recap of the day that was:

WHAT HAPPENED --- The Huskies held two practices, going in full pads in the morning and helmets, shoulder pads and shorts in the afternoon.

THE BIG STORY --- Unfortunately for the Huskies, not great news today as Curtis Shaw decided to leave the team for personal reasons. Read the story here.

With Shaw gone and Chris Polk playing tailback for now, this is how UW's receiving situation looks:

Scholarship receivers:
D'Andre Goodwin, sophomore
Alvin Logan, redshirt freshman
Anthony Boyles, true freshman
Devin Aguilar, true freshman
Cody Bruns, true freshman
Jermaine Kearse, true freshman
Jordan Polk, true freshman
Vince Taylor, true freshman

Walk-on receivers
Chancellor Young, senior,
Charles Hawkins, senior
Tony Chidiac, sophomore
Vicente Cordova, freshman

That's 12 receivers, eight on scholarship, six of whom are true freshman (acknowledging that Aguilar and Boyles each have at least a little more experience with the spring practice).

And that's eight career catches --- six by Goodwin last year, two by Young at Duke in 2004. Interestingly, offensive coordinator Tim Lappano had said before the news of Shaw became known that this was a key week for whittling the skill positions down to workable numbers to get players ready for the Oregon game.

"We're still trying to identify those young guys and letting them roll,'' Lappano said. "We'll do that a couple of more days and around Friday we'll have to say that we are looking for seven receivers and four running backs and the rest of them, that's just the way it is. They are going to have to watch for now. We're still installing some offense, still rotating in a lot of kids. But in a couple of more days we'll have to make a decision.''

Asked how the young receivers are doing, Lappano said some of them are struggling a bit with the transition to learning a college playbook.

"Some of them are doing pretty good, some of them are struggling a little bit,'' he said. "But this happens every year. So they make plays when they know what they are doing. Some of them make some really nice plays that make you go 'wow, they are pretty good.'''

Lappano also likes that they have shown no fear with the team now in daily full-contact work.

"Nobody's scared,'' he said. "I asked them if anyone was scared and wanted to go home today and they said no. Everybody looks good in their laundry (meaning, before pads are on) but they seem not to shy away from (contact).''

GARCIA PROGRESSING --- Good news on the injury front continues to come from center Juan Garcia, who is practicing more and more and says his foot --- he suffered a Lisfranc injury in the spring --- is passing every test so far. Garcia says he has a few times gone head-to-head with linemen, putting pressure on the foot, and is also beginning to do sideline-to-sideline drills. But Garcia said he has yet to really go all-out for a sustained period, which is the test he must pass before coaches start feeling comfortable about making plans for his return. Ryan Tolar continues to take snaps at center in case he’s needed to help fill in the depth at center. Matt Sedillo remains the starter there.

OL coach Mike Denbrock said Garcia will be held to one practice this week on days when there are two scheduled.

"We just need to make sure that thing is as stable as it needs to be before we step on the gas,'' he said. "We don't want to go too far, too fast. We still have three weeks before we have to play football.''

And Denbrock said Garcia will have to continue to show progress to work his way back into the lineup.

"Before that decision gets made he's going to have to show me that he can go full speed and not limp around or not have any soreness,'' Denbrock said. "Because the last thing we are going to do is put him in jeopardy or re-injuring that. That may be something that happens regardless of if we put him in jeopardy or not, but we are not going to risk it until we are sure he is fully healthy, and we've got all of our fingers crossed that that is going to happen.''

INJURY REPORT --- Besides Jake Locker, other Huskies who sat out Monday were RB Brandon Johnson (knee), CB Byron Davenport (ankle) and LB Josh Gage (viral infection). RB Brandon Yakaboski is also limited while dealing with a hip flexor injury dating to his days at Mt. Si High.

WHAT'S NEXT --- Huskies are scheduled for one practice tomorrow.

Posted by NorCalDawgFan

8:35 PM, Aug 11, 2008

Geez, at this rate it looks like on August 30, Malibu will be starting center and Chris Miller will be starting QB. I don't think that will be enough to beat the webfeet.

Posted by coreydillonfan

8:59 PM, Aug 11, 2008

God, I hate the ducks. I have to work with two Donald Ducks and the trash talking has been going on for months now.

Bob, keep up the great work! I have to spend at least 15-20 minutes per night just to get in all of your reports.

Let's all Pray that Juan can continue to get healthy. Jake will be Jake and be just fine.

Posted by Ouch

9:08 PM, Aug 11, 2008

Bob,

Can anyone elaborate on Curtis Shaw's situation? What are the family issues? Bummer, i was thinking he'd be the teams leading receiver this year.

9:41 PM, Aug 11, 2008

Ouch --- They haven't told us what it is and said Shaw wanted to keep it private while assuring us it had nothing to do with legal or academic issues or anything of that sort. For now, may be best to leave it alone and accept that he's gone from the team for a while.

Posted by BoiseTruth

9:48 PM, Aug 11, 2008

A lot of stuff going on, but this was my favorite of the day.

"--- OC Tim Lappano praised the play of guard Casey Bulyca, who has come to camp lighter than he has in years. Bulyca said he weighs about 335 pounds, down from the 345-350 he played at last year and the 370 he played at during spring ball in 2007."

Now that sounds like a guy preparing for success. Props to you Casey, I hope you make All Pac-10 and get drafted.

Posted by Jimmy 2 Shakes

10:43 PM, Aug 11, 2008

Is Chancellor Young going to be in the Willingham perma-doghouse this year or will he get a shot at WR now?

Seems like he must know some of the playbook from being in the program before.

Posted by CogDAWG02

11:48 PM, Aug 11, 2008

Can things get any worse?

Shaw was the type of speedy threat that the spread option relies on.

Let's see.... Our All-American QB is out, our #1 RB is out, our All Pac-10 Center is out, and our defense ranked what last year? 119? Who's the current leader of this team in practice?

I just hope Garcia doesn't twist an ankle running all those stairs and take a step backwards.

All in all, Jake can make any team good. I just hope Ty doesn't actually bench Jake so that Fouch can get snaps (like he suggested).

Has TY already been told that this is his last year?

It seems like he would want Jake to run, not "in a perfect world I wouln't want Jake running". Is he nuts? Some of the things that TY has done/said lately have really surprised me.

GO DAWGS!

Posted by Formerly Guest

12:10 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Bad day for our team, and it sounds like certainly for Curtis Shaw as well.

I really was impressed with how he was playing the last few games last year, especially against OSU.

I thought he would really contribute a ton for us this year. It is most unfortunate. I hope he is able to solve whatever personal problems are coming through right now, and have the sort of career he would like. Hopefully for us.

More bad news, at least in my mind-

I remember when Cory Mackay switched his committment from us to WSU last year. He was not one of the more sought after recruits in our class, but still worth going after.

I guess the catch was that we placed him at LB and WSU said they would let him try WR, his first love. (Rumor also had it his girlfriend was going to WSU).

1 week into camp and he switches to LB at WSU. He is now 6'4 and 246 pounds. He ran a 4.6 as I recall, and has great hands. Big, very big, very fast, very athletic LB who is going to catch anything that gets within 3 feet of one of his hands.

I can't recall how many balls hit one of our LBs in the hands last year - or one of our DBs- and we dropped a surefire INT. Probably at least 5 times.

Boy, I really would like to have seen this guy running with our LB reserves this week, rather than practicing out in Pullman right now.

It is hard not to fume over what could have been-

-Mackay POSSIBLY developing into a monster LB
-Savanah POSSIBLY taking the confernece by storm, cleaning up in the 3-4 and getting some level of conference honrs
-Shaw becoming an ultra-dangerous short-route guy with his speed and hands, whizzing through defenders for 10 yards after every catch.

Sh*t.

Posted by Formerly Guest

12:11 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Purpledawgz,
Enjoyed today's additions to the list.

BT,
Has BSU settled on a leading QB yet? Is KM still in the running?

Posted by Formerly Guest

12:53 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Bob,

I just read on-line your story for tomorrow, the sketch on Fouch and how he is doing. You make reference to the time this winter when that Redlands reporter was reporting the rumors that Fouch would transfer. As I recall, the reporter wrote 2-3 columns on how he had inside information from Fouch family and friends that Ronnie was unhappy, about to transfer, and they were upset that the staff had talked him into leaving HS early to come here, but were not letting him compete with Jake for playing time.

As I recall, Ronnie always denied these rumors, the reporter down there ket saying he wasn't going to back down, he thought his confidential sources were on the mark.

Now Ronnie is saying it was old friends/acquaintances upest at Polk's committment here, trying to stir up trouble for our staff in response to that.

It is none of my business, but has the reported down there ever on the record, or off the record apologized to the UW staff, Ronnie, or his family? Or you?

It seems he might have caused a bit of angst for all involved, and didn't he write one column where he was really questioning your motives and your accuracy in consistently reporting that Ronnie denied all these rumors?

As I recall, he presented himself as well-intentioned, a Redlands Valley homer who didn't like that their home grown star was appearing to get cast aside by the UW coaches, and didn't apologize for this motivating the direction of his reporting.

If you are at liberty to answer any of these questions, many thanks.

Posted by onewoodwacker

5:29 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Bob- Is Chancellor Young the son of Charles Young (Philadelphia Eagles)? Thanks

Posted by HarborDawg

6:25 AM, Aug 12, 2008

I'd hate to head into battle with many of you here.

It's always been easy to distinguish the glass half full, glass half empty and glass totally dry folks from one another.

Always interesting to note the coaches, kids who will be fighting the Ducks and the kids interested in becomming Huskies are the ones who believe. Thank God for that.

Will we mark August 30th with a win?

HELL YES

GO DAWGS, and Good luck Curtis

Posted by cougpower

6:37 AM, Aug 12, 2008

I think it would be great to add a Pac ten Bowl in Seattle. Then the Huskies can go to a Bowl again...kinda like the fictional post season tournament UW paid to play in last year.

Posted by BoiseTruth

6:58 AM, Aug 12, 2008

FG,

On Mackay, I've kind of had a feeling that he would end - up at DE. No fact, just feeling. I never really expected to see him playing WR at WSU. Over the next couple of years, a few cheese burgers, I still see him at DE.

Kellen is still in the QB derby at BSU. The fans don't really want another one year QB unless he's head and shoulders above the competition. The Senior, Hamdan, hasn't been that in most peoples eyes. Ya gotta think the coaches want to reward Hamdan for hanging in, but I just don't know if that would ultimately be good down the road. He's capable of doing well this year, but it's still that one year starter thing that's hard to get past.

BSU had their first fall scrimmage yesterday.
It was a lackluster affair. Coach Petersen wasn't thrilled, and made the team run gassers after the scrimmage. KM had a 51 yard TD pass (a ten yard route, and 41 yard run). I think he was like 9 of 22. Not a great day for anyone. The battle continues at next Saturday's second scrimmage. That one will be more telling I think.

Purpledawgz,

Just checking in to let you know I appreciate your efforts on the countdown. That's a lot of work. You're making it look easy, and very enjoyable. Thanks

Posted by purpledawgz

7:12 AM, Aug 12, 2008

18 days... 8/30/2008

It continues. Despite the bad news, despite the pessimists, despite the coulda-shoulda-wouldas, this team is moving forward. Camp continues, the team is growing and learning, and the Huskies shall prevail. These are challenges the team must overcome before it ever sets foot on a field. Our comments mean little to them. In the end, these challenges will unite this team right now--well before they travel to Eugene. That unified front will manifest itself in 18 days and shock the Pac-10.

I will interject, however, and once again share my apologies for missing the weekends and having to bunch it all together on one day. In fairness (and out of curiosity to see who gives two-bits about this countdown), I'll take a quick bulletin board vote. Suppose I miss Saturday and Sunday the next two weekends on my countdown. Would you all prefer:

a) I continue catching-up and do three items on Monday, or
b) I do two per day for a couple days, or
c) I just lose one or even two days of time and just extend the day we finish the countdown

I think c works-out to finishing on Sat, Aug 30th if I skip both weekends right now. Most likely, I would have to do at least one double-post somewhere and gain a day because I'll be traveling to Eugene and won't want the added pressured of getting to the blog on Friday night or Saturday morning. Besides, I'd like to finish early enough to allow for a return to the "How the Huskies can beat ______" posts.

Alright, Husky Fans. The phone lines are open! Text A for option A to 083008... B for option B... and so-on. Lines will be open until 8/15/08 at 12:01AM. Of course, to entertain you while you vote, I shall return back to the real reason for your visit to this comment section.

To escape the disappointing tunnel vision that so many posters have... to escape the injuries, the loss of players, and the academic issues... to escape the statistics and the stale and tired arguments that are now nearly 9 months old... I present on your behalf a continuation of the...

TOP 30 REASONS THE DAWGS WILL GO BOWLING IN 2008

30. Chocolate Milk Does a Team Good (Fore!!!!!! - 7/28)
29. 5th Quarter Conditioning (Monday afternoon links - 7/28)
28. Redshirt Freshman = Last Year’s Scout Team (July questions, take six – 7/29)
27. At Least One Weather Assisted-Win (Thursday links – 7/31)
26. Passion and Purpose Are Back (On those darn second halves - 7/31)
25. Tim Lappano’s Options (Monday A.M. links - 8/4)
24. Sleeper “Bullets” (Monday A.M. links - 8/4)
23. JD Williams Makes Monsters Out of Men (Monday A.M. links - 8/4)
22. Husky Stadium Rocks at 135 dB (More thoughts on Savannah – 8/4)
21. Defense Has Nowhere to Go But Up (Wednesday morning links - 8/6)
20. Chris Polk = Purple and Gold Reggie Bush (Thursday morning links - 8/7)
19. Baggett’s New Crew Does It Too (Husky nightcap, day four - 8/7)
18. Return of Neuheisel (Monday A.M. practice notes - 8/11)
17. Special Teams Now Special for Right Reasons (Monday A.M. practice notes - 8/11)
16. 3-4 Defense Surprises Early Opponents (Monday A.M. practice notes - 8/11)

15. Coach Willingham Pulls-Out All the Stops – I'm going out on a limb on this one. I actually feel I have a better chance of being right with my weather predictions on 27 than I do with this (and we all know how accurate those forecasts are). Probably should have switched these, but it's too late now. Still, I have a feeling in my gut that we'll see some things we haven't seen much at all in the past few years. What kind of things?

For starters, I feel we'll see a coach that is going to take a few more risks for the win rather than playing it safe to avoid the loss. A perfect example of that would be going for 2-pt conversions rather than kicking a safe, game-tying PAT. We all lamented Cal a couple years ago when we forced OT on that crazy pass at the end of regulation, and then lost the game. Of course, it's easy to say we should have gone for 2-pts and seized the moment in hindsight. But, those moments have been carefully logged in Coach Willingham's memory as well as they have in ours. If he faces a similar scenario this season, I have a feeling the Huskies will go for two. There is no more time for playing it safe. We must take chances this year if we want to come out on top.

Another example is the onside kick against Oregon last year. Obviously it did not go the way we wanted it to. However, imagine the outcome of that game had we recovered that onside kick and managed to upset Oregon (with Dixon and Stewart mind you). That kind of confidence boost could have been just what some of the young players needed, not to mention the first key win for Coach Willingham. I think that was an early sign of things to come as we approach a very desperate season for the coach, even though he would never admit publicly that this season is any more desperate than another.

So what other stops can Coach Willingham pull-out to win some games and entertain the crowd while doing it? Well, for starters, all of these snaps that Fouch is receiving will play to our advantage. Imagine the start of the 4th quarter, the score is tied, and UW has the ball at their own 15. Who takes the field--Locker AND Fouch! Now add Polk in the backfield. Then add Gottleib at TE and Goodwin and Boyles as your WRs. Who does the defense cover? What on earth will they run? I have faith that Coach Willingham and Asst. Coach Lappano are scheming a handful of trick plays, and I personally would love to see some that involve two QB's.

They may never need to pull them out of the bag. They may never want to have to use them. But, I have a hunch that when the chips are stacked against us, and it's all-or-nothing, this year Coach Willingham will pull-out all the stops and go for the "W". And, don't be surprised if a few of those games that could go either way wind-up as Husky victories this year...

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

8:04 AM, Aug 12, 2008

BT, do you think Chris Petersen would consider leaving Boise State after this year and is he as good of a coach as Hawkins (or better)? He's an offensive guy right?

Bob, I have a question I'd love for you to ask Willingham and the coordinators Lappano and Donatell. As it appears, Willingham is the CEO type, objectively and calmly overseeing the team during the week and on game-day, keeping 18-23 year old kids on an even keel. However, on game day and during the half, who fires up the players and gets them ready to knock heads? That doesn't appear to be Willingham's cup of tea and since it isn't, will he lean on Lappano and Donatell to do it, especially coming out of the half? Baer didn't seem to inspire passion and all signs point to Donatell being the opposite. A head coach doesn't have to be the one rallying the troops so if he'd rather not, he should identify someone who should. Since defense is the most emotional, will Donatell be the natural one to get the team pumped on game day and for the 2nd half?

Posted by 206dogg

8:05 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Having played under Wulff and watching McKay last year (vs Bothell), there is no way McKay was ever recruited to play WR. Wulff likes smaller quicker WR's and athletic DE's. READ: McKay will be playing DE at sometime. Wulff will lie to any recruit, tell them what they want to hear, while having a different intent. No disrespect to the man as most coaches do that. It's just sad that McKay couldn't see it, must be pretty gullible.

BT- I'm keeping my fingers crossed on KM. Hoping he can clinch that starting QB slot.

Posted by Caldawg

8:15 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Mutt, loved your post from last night. Just read it and it made me laugh out loud. You are on the mark and that is why I am down here in bay area. While we get rain in January it isn't 39 degrees and colder then cold. Good job.

As far as another bowl game. Who needs it. While I LOVE college football, even I have to admit there are way too many bowl games. 6-6 teams should not be going any place. I do recognize the benefits of more practice etc. Which in a way helps the rich get richer. Maybe the bad teams should get a couple more weeks practice and the bowl bound teams get one week to prepare for the bowl game.

Article on Fouch was excellent. This is a talented, intelligent kid who will make his mark on Husky football before he is done. Unforetunate for him he has to sit behind Jake for a couple years. But his turn will come and he will succeed.

Go Dawgs.

8:26 AM, Aug 12, 2008

OneWood --- Yes. Charles also played for the Seahawks, which is how the family ended up here. He has had several sons play college football.

Husky fan in New York --- Unfortunately, that's exactly the kind of question you really won't get a real answer to from Willingham. He prefers not to talk about that kind of stuff other than in real generalities, such as saying that everyone plays a role. that's come up before. I think a better way to tell will be to ask the players once the season begins if Donatell is playing a different role in that way than Baer. I would assume so, from what I've heard of Donatell. But we probably need the season to start to give us some real evidence.

FG --- I've never talked to that reporter. Not sure if he ever did to Fouch. I didn't ask Ronnie that specifically.

Posted by Caldawg

8:58 AM, Aug 12, 2008

NY Fan, I heard from some one who was in the locker during half time. They said that Ty rarely ever said much to the group. It was always left to the OC, DC and position coaches. Ty was off doing something else. jh will say booking a tee time. The one exception this person mentioned was the AZ came two years ago when the Huskies ended up taking it too them, especially in the second half. I think that was the week after Nevada had beat the Huskies. Not sure on the but from what I have heard Ty is hands off at half time. And this source is very reliable.

Posted by jh

9:01 AM, Aug 12, 2008

...did Fouch redshirt so he could watch Locker's entire career and not have to buy a ticket?...

Posted by Chris Miller

9:13 AM, Aug 12, 2008

NorCalDawgFan,

I believe I still have two years of eligibility left, so if it comes down to it I will be out there throwing some fade routes. See you in Eugene!

GO DAWGS!

9:21 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Cal Dawg --- Your timeline might be off just a tad. The Nevada loss happened in 2003 when Gilbertson was still coach. The game I think you are referring to was at Arizona in 2005, Willingham's first year. However, what we all reported at the time was that the big motivating factor was the momentum of the Isaiah Stanback Hail Mary pass to Craig Chambers on the last play of the half. UW indeed ran it away with it in the second half, going from a 14-14 tie to a 38-14 win. Not saying Willingham may not have given a big speech that night --- not sure if he did or not. But the Stanback pass was what everyone talked about afterward.

Posted by Formerly Guest

9:39 AM, Aug 12, 2008

Purpledawgz,
I defer to you on what is most convenient to you with how to post the countdown. I am impressed and grateful for the amount of work you put in on this, and look forward to it daily.

I too have difficulty getting to the compter each day, especially weekends. So my only request is that you continue to list when/where you posted each item in your countdown, so I can chase down the entries I end up missing somehow.

Thanks!

Posted by BoiseTruth

9:53 AM, Aug 12, 2008

I hear you 206dogg. Saturday nights scrimmage should be a lot of fun. I don't know if they'll announce the QB after that scrimmage, but I think they'll probably have it figured out at that point.

HFNY, I don't think Peterson is looking to leave BSU at this point. I personally think he would be nuts to ever leave. Boise has a nice quality of life not only for him, but his family. He's well paid. He wins. Everybody loves the guy. What more could a coach want? Having said that, Nutt, Koetter, and Hawkins all had that (except they weren't as well paid) and left.

Pete and Hawk are both terrific coaches. Pete was Hawk's OC at BSU. Hawk believes that he has a system of coaching that will work anywhere, at any level. I believe him. Peterson also knows that system. I don't know if he follows it a 100%, but if there are things he can improve on, be sure that he will. I think Hawk has a little more showmanship (con- man-ship) than Pete. Coach Petersen really has an open, human quality about him that you rarely see with other coaches. The standard measure would be ; where would you send your son? who would he play for? My son doesn't play college football, but he does go to BSU. If he played college football it would be for Pete at BSU, if I had any influence over the decision.

BTW, Hawk's youngest son Drew, is a walk-on at BSU. I guess Hawk is OK with Pete as a coach and as a person. They've been good friends for a long time.

Tuesday a.m. links

Husky nightcap, Aug. 11 edition

Another Seattle Bowl in the offing?

Afternoon practice notes

Curtis Shaw leaving team for personal reasons