Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 5, 2008 12:38 PM

Garcia: "I didn't think I would be this far ahead''

UW center Juan Garcia just met with reporters here a little while ago and said he is ecstatic with the progress he has made so far while pointing out that his recovery is still a day-to-day process with no guarantees.

Garcia took part in a few warmup drills on Monday and said "I didn't think I would be this far ahead.''

He said in the back of his mind he's hoping he can return in time for the opener against Oregon though he thinks a more realistic goal is the second game against BYU.

"This week we are taking it to see where I'm at,'' he said. "Everyday I'll do a little more stuff and next week I'll get in for a drill or too if my leg holds up. I'm taking it day-by-day rihgt now, but I'm happy where I'm at. I didn't expect to be at this point. I thought by the time I'd be out there doing a drill it would be sometime after camp.''

Garcia said the real test will come when he decides to go full-go in full-contact drills. He said coaches want him to be patient with that but he's not sure how long he will be able to wait.

"I was talking with coach (Mike) Denbrock and it was like 'man, one of these days I might just have to go full-speed and either I'm going to be able to go or that's the end of that,''' he said. "I'm tired of seeing my guys out there and I'm not with them.''

Denbrock described Garcia's sitation as still being "tenuous'' and wouldn't guess when Garcia might be able to return this year.

Garcia said the foot hasn't healed completely but has gotten a lot stronger. "It's coming along,'' he said. "They didn't expect me to be at this point and everybody says the best thing you did was not getting surgery. It might be a miracle, I don't know, but I'm happy.''

Asked if he could make it back for the Oregon game, Garcia said "it's not even there right now. I'm hoping in the back of my mind. But I don't know. I'm just hoping, before it was like mid-season. Then it was like 'you might be ready for Oklahoma.' I'm just thinking BYU right now. If I can do good this week and next week it might be the opener.''

Posted by gpointer

1:17 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Bob, any idea what kind of lower body strengthening exercises Garcia can do? E.g. deadlifts? cleans? squats? Thanks

Posted by Mike D

1:20 PM, Aug 05, 2008

That would be incredible.

I guess I'm not clear on what exactly the risk is at this point: That he could re-injure the foot the same way and be done for the season, or does he risk impeding his progress of fully healing and having to play with pain all season because he didn't let it fully heal? I'm all for Juan coming back but it sounds like he being really aggressive in his recovery process if Bob noted he continues to limp around but he's talking about being in a full contact Pac-10 game in 25 days. It almost sounds like he's trying to do too much.

Posted by Jason

1:27 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Way to fight it out, Juan!

Beat the ducks!!!

Posted by Sittingdawg

1:36 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Like Mike D, I am curious what the ramifications are for Juan trying to heal too quickly - will it just slow down the healing process, or is there a high likelihood of reinjuring and taking him out for the season?

Posted by hsky69

1:37 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Can't blame Juan for wanting to push it and get out on the field but the coaches need to keep him reined in a bit. I'm not clear on what the risks are or the long term implications of reinjurying his foot but it can't be good. And - whew - hate to say it but the chances of beating OU or BYU are slim so I'd rather have him rehab his foot longer and come in later in the season against a more winnable opponent/conference foe like Stanford or Arizona.

Posted by Sittingdawg

1:37 PM, Aug 05, 2008

BTW I'm not saying he's going about it the wrong way, just curious what would happen if that turned out to be the case.

Obviously it would be incredible to have him there for Oregon or BYU.

Posted by Sittingdawg

1:40 PM, Aug 05, 2008

hsky69 - Chances of beating BYU are "slim?" Really? Maybe in Provo, but I'd have to think that even with all the hype BYU will hardly be a big favorite at Husky Stadium. I mean I could totally see us losing, but I don't know about calling our odds "slim."

Posted by Caldawg

1:46 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Juan needs to stay low so when he comes back he is 100%. The risk is a pro career. As much as I hope he will be there when the Dawgs pluck duck, I would rather have him come back and be healthy all season and get drafted. His attitude and presence can have benefit for the young guys without his playing. Jaun, be cool.

Posted by old timer

1:47 PM, Aug 05, 2008

So, when Garcia comes back is it going to be for all 4 quarters? Seems like centers aren't shuttled as much as some other positions. Maybe he could come back gradually, such as playing the 2nd & 4th quarters, or something like that.

1:48 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Maybe should have been more clear. But as Garcia said, when he tests it out, it could either be obvious he will be able to play "or that's the end of that.'' Any setback of any kind would likely put him out for the season. As he noted, the foot is not completely healed and it's unclear when it would be. But to get back this year, he has to test it out and see where it is. Any re-injury could cause a delay that could cost him the season. I think one reason he wants to test it out as soon as possible so he will then know what his status would be for the future.

Posted by hsky69

1:48 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Unfortunately I think so Sittingdawg. BYU should have a hell of a good football team this year. Max Hall and Harvey Unga (particularly Unga) are studs along with a couple of receivers and O linemen whose names I can't remember. Plus they are well coached and well disciplined. I watched them play a few times last season and was impressed. They return most of their key guys and really the only question marks from what I can gather are their DB's and linebackers? We will need to put up a lot of points to beat them is my guess. Something like 38 or 41 points.

Posted by Reality Check

1:54 PM, Aug 05, 2008

* I'm pulling for Juan more than I've rooted for any Husky in a long time. I really want him to heal up, have a successful senior year, and make his millions in the NFL. The guy is a solid human being who could be a role model for troubled youth.

* A win over BYU would be a quality win. Everything I've read about BYU suggests they should be loaded this year. I think it was Sporting News that listed them as the most likely non-BCS conference team to make a BCS bowl game. Furthermore, I saw them listed somewhere as a dark horse national title game participant. In short, they're getting some pretty good pre-season press. It should be a fun game... I'm just real glad it's in Seattle... that will hopefully level the playing field a bit.

Posted by Sittingdawg

1:55 PM, Aug 05, 2008

hsky- That may be true (we may need 38-41 to win), but is their defense good enough to hold UW to under 40? Locker and co. are going to be pumped for the first Husky home game of the year.

I was impressed with BYU last year as well, but most of their games are against WAC competition. Didn't they split against UCLA? UCLA (who granted, beat us, mystifyingly) was not a great team last year.

I expect a shootout in that game. I will definitely be getting tickets for that one, hehe.

Posted by travuw

1:55 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Our chances to beat anyone but Oklahoma and USC are not slim. Stop buying into the "UW is too young to do anything good" or "Ty will lose games for us" BS. Jake Locker single handedly almost beat several good teams last year, and that's not exaggerating. Jake can only do so much, but to have a guy like him at the helm and still feel pessimistic? I don't get it. I actually like our chances to start 2-0, but I guess I'm just a homer and eternal Husky optimist.

The defense needed a complete overhaul, and that's exactly what it's getting under Donatell. We have a good young stable of backs and WR's, we have new blood at Special Teams, and we have, in my opinion, the most exciting player in the Pac-10 in Locker...the Huskies will have to stink it up before I'm ready to call them crappy.

Posted by GOB

1:56 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Wow - that is great news from Garcia. Even if he does not make it back to the field before October, I can bet his leadership and experience are invaluable to this young team.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

1:57 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Gosh, I hope Garcia takes it easy. I'd rather see him wait until after the bye to get some snaps in against Stanford before possibly starting @ Arizona. Why risk it in two OOC games before Stanford?

I have respect for what BYU has done the last two years, but both of their losses last year were on the road and they needed a blocked FG to beat UCLA (after losing to them earlier in the year) in the bowl game. They are still a WAC team and will be on the road. Guess we'll have a better indication after August 30th when we play the Yucks and they play Northern Arizona.

Posted by mfsthorn

2:04 PM, Aug 05, 2008

BYU is NOT a WAC team ... Yes, their conference is essentially the old WAC, but they're in the MWC.

What is this thing about "teams being pumped to play?"

Everybody is pumped to play. People post on here we can't win at Autzen because they're crowd "will be pumped" ...

BYUs fans likely feel as their team should in Seattle as their team "will be pumped to beat a BCS opponent on the road".

There hasn't been this much talk of pumping since Hans and Franz.

Posted by G Udub

2:08 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Garcia=true leader

He is sure setting a heck of an example for the rest of the team.

I am so excited to hear this news. This guy has more heart for the game than a lot of players in recent memory.

I can't wait to give this guy a standing-O on his first home game back.

Keep up the good work Juan!

Posted by jonthehusky

2:10 PM, Aug 05, 2008

dam I love Garcia, but I'm so scared that he's going to try to push it too quickly! Give the fellow some Marajuana so he can relax for a few days!!!

Posted by Ryan

2:28 PM, Aug 05, 2008

I sure am cheering for Juan... If he ends up starting a home game this season, you can bet he may get a few cheers from the husky faithful.

Now if only Juan could have a moment with that EJ Savannah fellow.... Talk about wasted talent.

Posted by mandawg

3:56 PM, Aug 05, 2008

gpointer-

I saw him at the UW IMA last spring doing decently heavy squats if that helps answer your question.

Notes from Willingham

Denbrock happy with O-line condition

Garcia: "I didn't think I would be this far ahead''

Tuesday links