Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 18, 2008 12:37 PM

Emmert speaks

Posted by Bud Withers

Washington president Mark Emmert was interviewed this morning by Dave Mahler on KJR radio, addressing a variety of topics from the athletic-director vacancy to the status of football coach Tyrone Willingham.

Regarding Willingham, Emmert said, "You certainly don'tsit and say, 'Well, you've got to have X number of wins. What I want to see is what every fan and coach Willingham want to see: I want to see significant improvement in the way they play, along with the improvement we're seeing off the field. We're just going to let all this work out.

"Ty is a fabulous guy, and I'm fully supportive of him ... the fans need to be good Husky fans. They need to say, 'I'm pulling for him.' Imagine if he rips off a couple of wins early. It could be a very special year. [But] you support your people, that's what you have to do.''

Emmert said the AD search slowed somewhat with the start of summer and end of the school year.

Said Emmert, "I'd really hoped and anticipated it would be filled sooner than this ... I hope we can get it wrapped up before the school year starts. That's my goal now''

Emmert didn't rule out that the choice could be Scott Woodward, the interim athletic director.

"It's a question of whether I want to cut off my right or my left hand'' Emmert said, referring to Woodward's skills in UW external affairs. "Right now -- and my preference all along -- is to let Scott stay in the role he's extraordinary at. [But] Scott's a team player. We'll see where that winds up''

Does that mean it's possible Woodward could get the job full-time, but more likely he'll return to his old job?

"I think that's probably fair.'' Emmert said. "He's done a great job [as interim AD]. I've been asking him to do an awful lot for us. Where this winds up is an open question."

As for obtaining state funds to help with a proposed renovation of Husky Stadium, Emmert said, "I don't doubt for a minute this is an uphill slog, no question about it.''

Emmert argues that the implementation of the hotel and restaurant taxes that have helped other stadiums in Seattle would be well-suited to helping the UW's stadium effort, saying, "A Husky football game has a bigger impact on the economy, on the hotels and restaurants, than does a Seahawks game. NFL fans don't travel to games. College fans do. We think it makes some sense to have some of the tax stream to support this project''

Emmert talked about a "$250 million to $300 millio'' renovation project, and said only about half that could be supported by traditional, donor-based athletic sources.

Posted by BigBallaJ

12:44 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Anyone else getting weird formatting on just this post in the blog?

For example:

"“Ty is a fabulous guy, and I’m fully supportive of him ... the fans need to be good Husky fans. They need to say, “I’m pulling for him.’ Imagine if he rips off a couple of wins early. It could be a very special year. [But] you support your people, that’s what you have to do.”"

12:46 PM, Aug 18, 2008

I am. I've been getting that every now and then. I'm using Firefox 3.0. I'd be curious if anyone using IE is getting similar problems (and if so, I'd place the blame on the Times).

Posted by dlc

12:52 PM, Aug 18, 2008

weird formatting is happening both on firefox & IE.

Posted by Sittingdawg

12:52 PM, Aug 18, 2008

I am, on IE.

Posted by Seattle Dave

12:52 PM, Aug 18, 2008

IE users get the problem too. Clearly, this is Willingham's fault (just kidding poster)

12:58 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Seattle Dave,

Damned funny. I get jokes. :)

1:00 PM, Aug 18, 2008

I guess you could always read it as a variation of "!#$%@#".

Makes things like the following read a little more lively:

Said Emmert, "Q%#^! really hoped and anticipated it would be filled sooner than this ... I hope we can get it wrapped up before the school year starts. That ~@#$%@#$% my goal now."

Posted by Formerly Guest

1:01 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Seattle Dave,

Did this sort of formatting problem happen before RN got fired? Maybe we could blame him, or Lambo, or spend the next 6 months discussing who is more at fault.

Posted by aemery

1:05 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Mike Halseth for AD. 1). He needs the money. 2). Hes tired of working for Brinks 3). He'd support more UW involvement at SeaFair. 4). He'd have hydroplane races on the Husky Tron at half-time 5). He'd have a smalll gadet available at the concession stands for putting onions back on your hot dog after they fall off while eating. 6). Marlene and Wendy would sit on the sidelines under Marlenes umbrella. 7). Kheriaty would be on the sideline to pass out wool socks for any players that get shin splits. 8). Every player would have their own end zone comb. 9). Each coach would be given an electric football game to play with 10). Jesse Jones would do play-by-play with Rondeau.

1:06 PM, Aug 18, 2008

It probably happened sometime after Al Gore invented the Internet but before Bush proliferated the technology to the new "Internets".

1:11 PM, Aug 18, 2008

On the regular injury front: Joe McKnight suffered a hyperextended elbow for USC.

Posted by onewoodwacker

1:11 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Mr Emmert -

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

1:12 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Can anyone confirm that UW either received or did not receive the $100k booster incentive for firing Turner?

First of all, I thought this booster bounty thing was ludacris...no way the university could accept money from a booster for firing someone...shows you just how egotistical and out-of-touch some boosters can be.

But, wasn't there a contigency that they had to first fire Ty (ca-ching...$100k) and then they'd get another $100 if they went and fired Turner too.

Anyone know about whether they got the Tuner $100k?

Posted by Reality Check

1:17 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Talk is cheap.

1) Win some games.
2) Fix the stadium.
3) Stop scheduling a murder's row every $#(!*#$% year.
4) Wake up and realize that 20,000 season tickets have walked. i.e. -- how about at least acknowleding there is a problem. step 1 in fixing something is admitting that it's broken.

1:23 PM, Aug 18, 2008

I vaguely remembered some condition like that as well DAWGONE, but a reading of this link makes it look like the Turner donation was not conditioned on the Willingham one. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskies/2004116851_uwemails10m.html

Of course, this link doesn't have all the email, so the email still may say that.

Also, pay not to the 90 day provision, I'm not sure if that was satisfied, and don't care to check.

Posted by WOOF

1:25 PM, Aug 18, 2008

4) Wake up and realize that 20,000 season tickets have walked.

------------------
your empty seats will make great condiment holders for us real huskies.

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

1:26 PM, Aug 18, 2008

A couple other things from these Emmert comments that are bugging me...

1) "the fans need to be good Husky fans"

Did the subjectivity of this statement irritate anyone else?

I'm a Ty supporter for this year (and this year only, if things don't change)...but even I can recognize that even those coming down on Ty think they are being "good husky fans"...and I'd agree that they are being good husky fans...being involved, wanting success and voicing their opinion.

Don't tell us what "good husky fans" should do...moron.

2) "the AD search slowed somewhat with the start of summer and end of the school year"

Yeah...crazy how these unforseen events creep up on you...

What in the crap is the UW doing?!?! Why would that slow down anything this important. We all have cell phones and communicate on the road...the ending of a school year is just a pitiful excuse. No way that should slow down a HIRED SEARCH COMMITTEE.

Very unimpressed by the administration at the UW...and we alumns should be demanding excellence...that's what "good husky fans" do Mark.

Posted by Reality Check

1:33 PM, Aug 18, 2008

you know, it's the guy's like "woof" who do make me seriously question my loyalty to the Huskies. As a fellow who has sat through:

1 - 10
2 - 9
5 - 8
4 - 9

I feel like I've been a pretty decent fan, patient, etc.

So, if you sincerely think it's no big deal that 20,000 season ticket holders have bailed, then perhaps we don't see things eye to eye. I find a stadium full of Husky fans increases my enjoyment of the game. I find it humilating when the other team rolls into town with 20,000 fans and the stadium erupts in cheering when the other team scores!

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

1:41 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Bob:

Anyway of confirming that the UW accepted/rejected the $100k law school donation tied to the Turner firing?

Emmert said, [such offers] are "grossly inappropriate" and I completely agree. So would be UW's acceptance of this donation from Mr. Hansen (I think that was the booster's name).

If the law school accepted this $100k, I'm writing a letter to Emmert and canceling my season tickets.

Posted by K-Dub

1:42 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Stop being so Sensi-poo guys!

When Emmert says we need to be "good Husky fans" he's just saying we should all get behind the team and let the season play out.

Support the program in the mean time with some positive energy instead of constantly berading it with negativity. The negativity does no good today...save it for after the season if it's needed.
I realize that many of you won't know what to do with your time if you weren't on here complaining about Willingham, but maybe, just maybe, you could hold off on that for the time being.

Posted by MelloDawg

1:45 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Yeah guys!! Rah rah rah rah!!!!

Ty doesn't suck, it's only his record that does...clearly those are two completely different things. As long as we don't pin any of the blame on him for the losses and give him 100% of the credit, we can make him out to be anything we want him to be. Like Don James for example, I love the comparisons that Ty draws to him.

Unbelievable.

Posted by Seattle Dave

1:48 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Good point Formerly Guest. We could also blame the formatting error on someone who is dead and can't defend himself, and then spend 6 months throwing our last good teams under the bus for failing to prevent all future formatting errors. But why bother when we have the Seattle Times around to do that stuff?

Posted by Caldawg

1:49 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Posted by Reality Check

1:50 PM, Aug 18, 2008

DAWGONE in AZ --

I agree 100%. The "be a good Husky" thing only carries so much weight after a while. How about "you're getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to run this university. And if running a championship caliber athletics dept. isn't part of your mission, then at least have the decency to tell your supporters."

I for one find it insulting that we're being called out as fans. Damn it, I'm still buying tickets! (Unlike 20,000 other people over the last 5 years.) Maybe it's time the U holds up their end of the bargain and starts putting something decent on the field! I'm tired of paying for steak but getting served rotten egs.

And then to schedule LSU for next year? Are we really that stupid? Sorry guys. I've seen things that are working well and being run efficiently and I've seen cluster - bleeps. The UW athletics dept. is a cluster *bleep*.

Or, to put a finer point on it. I've seen better organized monkey $#!+ fights.

Posted by Sittingdawg

2:00 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Just a note that things could be much worse, on the injury front:

Both USC (Mark Sanchez) and UCLA (Ben Olson) have endured quarterback injuries. The last time Los Angeles didn't have a starting quarterback the Rams were in town.

If you believe that a.) left tackle is the second-most important position on the field and b.) Georgia is No. 1, you have to believe that c.) the Bulldogs are in trouble with the knee injury to left tackle Trinton Sturdivant. The freshman All-American and rock of the Bulldogs' line is out for the season.

That doesn't necessarily mean Florida is going to fill the void in the SEC. There have been so many ACL injuries in Gainesville, King is considering another novel. In other words, it's creepy. Five players will miss the season because of torn ACLs. The most significant losses are safety Dorian Munroe and tight end Cornelius Ingram.

Not to be outdone, Illinois defensive tackle Sirod Williams blew out his knee last week (yes, it was an ACL) and will miss the season as well.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

2:03 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Can we please have a CEASE FIRE on bashing Willingham? It's ridiculous, the season is going to start in less than two weeks anyway! At least wait until you have something new to critique instead of going over, again, and again, and again, and again last season. For all we know, we could start 2-1, 0-3, or 1-2 (doubt we'll beat Oklahoma) so let's at least wait until we see where this team is after 2 or 3 games.

Posted by MelloDawg

2:04 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Not sure if anyone caught this on KJR earlier with Mitch in his interview with Justin Forsett....

Apparently our man of integrity, Ty Willingham, had an offer on the table for Forsett to come to Notre Dame and pulled it at almost literally the last second. Gosh, I'm sure glad he's such a great evaluator of talent.

Posted by dawgdayzofsummer

2:06 PM, Aug 18, 2008

TY for AD!

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

2:08 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Reality Check:

Absolutely! I'm all for supporting the team and being critical of Ty is doing just that...supporting the team.

Like you said, he's getting paid millions to lead this team to respectability and should be accountable for that...holding him accountable is SUPPORTING THE TEAM!

K-dub is living a nice little ideolistic dream, where we all carry pom-poms and support our coach to the death...and there's great risk for the future of UW fball if we do just that.

Ty is not Husky Football...Husky Football is Husky Football...having a balanced, critical view of the head coach is Husky Football. Supporting him to the death is not supporting Husky Football.

I'm not calling for his head...UW has him under contract and we should stand by it a little further (and we all know he will get paid PA-LENT-EE if the UW buys him out after this season).

But Emmert directly calling out Husky Fans is stupid...and ignores the patience we've shown thus far.

This season is Ty's last chance...us carrying pom-poms in his favor isn't being balance in a critical view, given the past dismal years, carrying pom-poms for the coach is actually a bit dillusional at this point.

Ty's a grown up, he knows that fans have a reason to question his ability and it's time he shows results.

And the administration better not go down on this ship too, but early indications show that they are not making good moves on a PR scale, nor on a performance scale (AD search, fundraising, season ticket sales).

Posted by HarborDawg

2:26 PM, Aug 18, 2008

DAWGONE,

Perhaps you are overeacting just a tad. I'm just guessing here but I'd have to lay money on Mark Emmert not being a moron. In fact I'll bet he's up there on the scale of pretty darn intelligent.

In fact, I'm betting that he wants his football program to be just as successful as you want it to be. And making the right choice for AD is perhaps a bit more important that choosing one on your schedule.

Seems to me he did a decent job in his last gig eh?

GO DAWGS

Posted by RJ

2:32 PM, Aug 18, 2008

AZ DAWG - Pretty sure the 100K was contingent on the release of Turner and Ty, so no.

ALL - What will be surprising come August 31st is not that the Huskies won in Autzen, but the relative ease in which they achieved their victory. There is no reason to believe this years version of the Duck D can stop the Husky offense. (yes I'm betting Locker's leg will be fine in two Saturdays). There is reason to believe the Huskies will not give up 55 to the Ducks. The Huskies are catching Oregon at the perfect time... JJ unsure about his knee, Blount losing confidence as he faces better / faster players and a QB with little to no experience. RJ has spoken and come 8/31 it will be so.

In Pac-10 play, This is the Year of the Dawg.

Posted by John

2:43 PM, Aug 18, 2008

I love watching you guys manufacture some outrage and ignore Emmert's point.

We all know what's going to happen if Ty doesn't deliver this season. But it does depend on the season, whether you like it or not.

Therefore, my focus is on the games. You can whine all season if you think that's useful.

Posted by Planning for the Future

2:47 PM, Aug 18, 2008

If the Huskies have ANOTHER bad football season, and by some miracle, Steve Gervais is named the new head coach, wouldn't Simoni seriously consider transferring to the UW? And then, wouldn't Skyline quarterback Heeps want to play for Gervais and throw passes to Simoni?

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

2:49 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Harbordawg:

OK, I'm not saying that Emmert has a mental condition making him a mildly mentally retarded person...it was a figure of speech, saying that his comments were foolish and ill-advised.

To even start to appear to attack the fan base...by saying what "good husky fans" should and shouldn't do...is heading into the "stupid move" catagory in my book.

I am just tired of accepting performances short of excellent from the administration and the program. UW is an excellent university and should reflect this in ALL ASPECTS...we as allumni should be DEMANDING this.

And both the administration and the head coach (on the field) has been short of excellent.

Considering the administration, how about being AHEAD of the game...rather than behind in most matters.

Can we feel good and spirited about the current fundraising and more importantly, the AD search?...when "the summer break" is a leading reason for not hiring an AD, I think not and I start to question their excellence.

But at least we can agree on one thing...GO DAWGS!!! WOOF, WOOF!

Posted by jh

2:51 PM, Aug 18, 2008

..."Where in the world was this statement - "Ty is a fabulous guy, and I'm fully supportive of him ... the fans need to be good Husky fans" - about 10 months ago when you were hanging Ty's recruiting a** out for public exposure???"...

...ever hear of the "kiss of death"...

Posted by Huskiebob

2:57 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Dawgone in AZ - glad you are down there and you can howl from afar. To call Emmert the things you have said means you are either uninformed or just plain stupid. I like to assume the former (unless you graduated form Eugene).

Posted by Caldawg

3:02 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Why is it that everything that is written by Bob always comes back to Ty and whether he will or won't, should or shouln't be the coach. We have approximately 12 days until we play the Ducks. why not focus on that. What is going to be will be. There is not a person this blog that can or should influence Ty career with the UW. Emmert is not an idiot he will do what is best for the school and the program. Maybe not in your mind but in his and his advisors. And you can be sure he has them. There is no magic bullet. Talkig about some high school coach taking over so one recruit might come to the UW. Give me a break. If that is the best the Dawgs can due in the event TW leaves this program is in real trouble.

Now how about focusing on beating the Ducks. One game at a time.

Posted by jh

3:03 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

3:10 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Huskiebob (sic.)

I hope the majority of husky fans don't follow the sediment of a few responding to my critiques.

Seems like some here (huskiebob) have accepted mediocracy...it started on the field and now we are seeing signs of it throughout the department.

Are we ahead of the game of bringing the dawgs back to national prominence in football...no.

Are we ahead of the game in selecting a premier athletic director...no.

Are we ahead of the game in solidifying funding...no.

Perhaps all these things will come under the current administration...I sure hope they do...but aren't I justified in raising a flag after looking at the aggregate and being unimpressed?

OK, now you attack me as being "plain stupid" (or uninformed)...do you know what that means? Let me inform you...(1) Lack of reasoning or (2) dull to sensation.

I've reasoned my points...and being critical and rubbed the wrong way by Emmert's comments and excuses is the exact opposite of "dull to sensation".

Why wouldn't you expect more than what we've seen...

I hold no agenda and certainly hope for a turn around with everyone in tact...but common, let's demand excellence and hold the administration accountable.

Posted by Planning for the Future

3:14 PM, Aug 18, 2008

To: Caldawg

I'm talking about getting a brilliant football mind in Steve Gervais and also one of the best quarterback prospects in the country. You obviously have not seen Skyline's Heep play football.

Posted by augiedawg70

3:19 PM, Aug 18, 2008

I put this at the end of the last thread, but it is not inappropriate here, either.

Guys,

I've been patient with this blog, but it seems like it's becoming the same old nonsense over and over again: "I'm a better Husky fan than almost everyone else and I don't have to put up with this nonsense anymore. The program has gone to hell or is going to hell and it's [insert your favorite villain's name] fault, and by the way, I also can tell you how to fix it."

Damn, some of you need to let go and find something else to obsess about. The truth of the matter is that the danger of blogs is that each post, and its response, validates the the idea of the poster regardless of reality.

Coach James gave a clear assessment of this program late last week. Personally, I believe that he has more credibility than any of us as to where our beloved program stands. That's why I'm beginning to wonder why the same old arguments have to be obsessively revisited once a week.

This time of the season ought to be a time of great excitement for Husky fans. It's not a time for gloom and doom. There will be plenty of time for that if the season does go poorly.

And, please, don't respond to my post. I don't feel the need to be, nor do I want to be validated, for having these feelings. We will have plenty of time to hate Willingham, just like we do Neuheisel, if he fails us. In the meantime, let's talk about our players; hell, let's talk about the Oregon players, the Oregon cheerleaders. . .

Posted by MelloDawg

3:19 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Planning for the future,

Yeah, gosh, hiring Steve Gervais sure helped us nail down Gino Simone right??? What cause is there to believe he'll help with Heaps? Zero.

------------------------------

Harbor,

You're right, Emmert did hire Nick Saban at LSU and it helped out their program. I'll wait to see until he hires an actual top notch football coach before I say he's done a good job at UW.

Obviously, he's going to say he supports his coach, etc etc, that's all he has to do. With is hands tied last year, he had to keep Willingham or face the wrath of the NAACP thanks to Todd Turner and Bob Simmons. Next year he'll have all the evidence he needs.

Posted by Reality Check

3:26 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Dawgone in AZ --

It seems our island is getting circled by sharks!

Here's the part that scares me.

Fact: Twenty thousand season ticket holders have dumped their tickets since 2001.

Responses:

1) Many Husky "fans": "relax. it's no big deal. Things are fine. You're a crappy fan. Who cares if you leave. I can put my cup on your empty seat. Support the team.... yadda, yadda, yadda." In short, if you don't scream,"It's great to be a Husky" then get outta here. See "woofs" intelligent comment earlier. I guess many Husky fans don't mind if the season ticket holder numbers drop another 20k!

2) UW adminstration: "relax. Nothing is wrong. There isn't any problem. Be good Husky fans." (Then go out schedule the most difficult schedule in the nation year after year, have a stadium project stuck in the mud, have a lame duck coach, have no AD, have several key members of the athletics dept. LEAVE for other jobs.... But still not acknowledge there is a problem

3) The "nega-dawgs" or whatever (i.e. guys like me): "We'd like to see things improve. But they're never going to improve unless we accept the fact that things are broken."

Honestly, I don't care that much if UW goes 0-3 or 3-0 as far as big picture is concerned. Until this athletics program gets fixed, it's not going to work. Hedges are Gerberding destroyed it, and the UW has never acknowledged it's broken. So we throw bandaids on severed limbs and wonder why the body is still dying!

Unless the UW gets serious about putting time, money and resources into its athletics programs, then it's only going to get worse.

Ever wonder about this... We've got some of the world's richest people living in the Puget Sound area. And yet the U can't get a dime for sports out of the guys? They're getting millions for other things, but nothing for sports. It tells me the school is putting zero emphasis on sports and/or our athletics dept. has done a pathetic job of tying into the region for many years now.

I'm seriously wondering if Hedges and Gerberding didn't completely wreck UW athletics and now we're just going to limp along with crappy programs from now on... Want proof? The first time UW has had losing seasons in football AND basketball in 50years?... last year.

Posted by Caldawg

3:32 PM, Aug 18, 2008

What is the matter with you dip sticks. I have read the post over a couple time. Emmert is saying what anyone who is really a Husky should be saying. You support the team and the coach. You may not like or agree, but we need to be "good fans and support". Ducks wouldn't.

Posted by B'HamDawg

3:36 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Just wondering if anyone knows the specifics of what they plan to do with the renovations? I have heard about the removal of the track to bring the stands closer to the field. Anybody know anything else?

Posted by UW Dawg Fan on Campus

3:41 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Is anyone a member of dawgman and read the article about Ty's press conference and EJ's status? John Berkowitz made it sound like EJ will not play another down at UW, but I was unable to read only the few sentences Berkowitz put on his blog because I am not a member of dawgman.

Posted by Reality Check

3:42 PM, Aug 18, 2008

I just had a life changing epiphany...

Why the hell do I care? Its clear the UW isnt committed to winning, a bunch of smart-@$$ husky fans seem to think its funny to kick guys who only want to improve the program. And Im tired of caring about something that only brings me misery.

In a life thats blessed, Im wasting time on a Husky blog bitching about a team that sucks, an administration with its head up its @$$, and games that really dont affect my life! Im arguing with idiot duck and coug fans unable to spell, let alone string together a coherent argument.

Anyway, rarely one to ponder a decision for a long time, I just made a very quick phone call to wifey-pooh. And much to her relief, I proposed just giving up our tickets to charity for the tax write off and not buying them any more. (She gets sick of my autumn malaise surrounding Husky football, so the idea wasn't a hard sell!)

Ive got to say its incredibly liberating! So, have fun. Post whatever the hell you want about me not being a real Husky or being a quitter. But this program is just *bleeped* up. And if wanting to see the program improve makes me an outcast, then perhaps Im barking up the wrong tree even wanting to be a part of this mess.

So, have fun Dawg fans. Its a radical change, but I give up. Have fun winning 4 games or 7 games, or whatever. cause frankly, I dont give a $#!+ what the Huskies do anymore. Ive got better things to do with the rest of my life.

Oh, and woof. You got your wish. Those two seats will be sitting there empty for you to place your drinks.

Posted by UW Dawg Fan on Campus

3:42 PM, Aug 18, 2008

*able

Posted by boo hoo

3:49 PM, Aug 18, 2008

@Reality Check

Don't forget your ball!

Posted by WOOF

3:49 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Yessssss ill get garlic fries too.

Posted by jh

3:53 PM, Aug 18, 2008

..."I'm talking about getting a brilliant football mind in Steve Gervais"...

...how brilliant is a guy who would agree to coach on willingham's staff that has a half-life measured in months?...

Posted by awwwww

3:56 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Reality Check finally gets it! haha. So long, sucker!

Posted by LFPDawg

3:56 PM, Aug 18, 2008

I'm not liking the whole 'be a good Husky fan'. Is this like being a 'good' Chinese citizen and submit an application to protest but be rejected and/or detained? I feel as though my intelligence is being insulted. What is being a good husky fan?

Is being a good husky fan going to every single game? Is it standing there in the pouring rain in a dorky looking uniform and waving the W at people meanwhile thinking 'Wow, we really suck... I'm getting in for free and yet I really wonder why you're wasting your money bothering to come...' is it going to Eugene and having dog crap thrown on you? Is it supporting the team blindly and unfailingly? OR is it saying 'Enough is enough!' and taking a stand to say 'We will not accept this Mediocri(TY), and 'Darn it, we want a bowl game!'.

Emmert telling us to be good husky fans is a joke. Clearly we are good husky fans, or we would not be bothering to protest because we would not realize that anything abnormal is occurring on Montlake. Losing is abnormal. Not having an athletic director twelve days before the second biggest game of the year is abnormal. Having the toughest schedule in the country two years in a row is abnormal. We need normal and at Washington, that is being solid and winning and being one of the best public universities both academically and athletically. At least... it used to be normal :-(

Posted by Formerly Guest

3:57 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Poster,
got a response for you back on "sunday links."

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

4:02 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Dip stick? Geez, I've been on here, justifing a reasonable stance (questioning our administration over it's performance during the past year) and all I get are name calling insults.

We should demand excellence and the athletic department is giving excuses...excuses for lack of performance on the field, excuses for lack of fundraising, excuses for not getting an AD hired...

OK, screw the arguement of the performance on the field (I want Ty to have this year to get the wins back on track)...but why can't the administration be excelling in other areas, all I hear are excuses and to be "a good husky".

I am a good husky...and no, me writting on here and getting responses doesn't feed any ego or other self-serving purpose...I'm just sick and tired of poor "executive leadership" and today's comments from Emmert put me on edge.

(Call my posts here just some good therapeutic venting)

Good husky...ha! I was born on a Saturday and my dad left to go see the game right after my birth, my grandfather was on the board of regents for the UW, I sold tickets to the swim meets with my dad and gpa at the age of 5, all my uncle's went to UW, and my dad, myself as well as my two sisters are allumni. We carry our university in high regard...my fickin car here in AZ says "DAWGONE" on the license plate, and most importantly I drink my coffee from DAWG mugs.

Now, let's all be "good [little] huskies" and sit on our hands while our losing penetrates the entire athletic program, including administrative issues.

Stop making excuses Mark and let's see some results. Pick an outstanding AD and do it soon, so we can get back to outstanding Washington athletics.

Posted by camano

4:04 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Per MellowScum...Obviously, he's going to say he supports his coach, etc etc, that's all he has to do. With is hands tied last year, he had to keep Willingham or face the wrath of the NAACP thanks to Todd Turner and Bob Simmons.

Please pack up your flute and go elsewhere - it is unfortunate you learned so little at the U.

------------

Two weeks until we see this revamped D, new WRs and RBs! I have not been this excited for a season to start in years - tho' I think I say that every year.

4:07 PM, Aug 18, 2008

FG,

Thanks, hey, I responded as well on that thread, and I noticed two things about Chip Kelly's spread-option that I had not previously paid attention to.

I too noticed the clunky delay in our counter-dive (first option), but Kelly/Dixon had a fairly tricky way to deal with it.

I posted there, but will copy and paste it here for more comment.

4:08 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Repost (verbatim) from previous thread:

"FG,

I watched some more tape of the Oregon - UW game and two things caught my eye.

(1) They often lined Stewart up as a fullback as the first option on a counter dive. I thought it was more of a wing-back set but it appeared he was up closer to the line than the other back. If so, this is obviously a quick first hand-off since it isn't always coming from a deeper set back.
(2) Perhaps even more interesting, was how Dixon carried out the fake (or not) on the hand-off. He didn't pause and read and let the running back do all the "fake", he took a jab-step in the opposite direction as the fake immediately when the running back was going the other way. This is actually pretty significant in that it can cause the defense to read both and therefore cause delay. A very tricky trick indeed. Now, the one thing I'd like to do is break down the film even more and see if there is any alignment differences that trended the option one way or the other. The spread-option is tough in that it hides the intended ball carrier somewhat since the QB may make the decision on the field, but sometimes you can figure out due to alignments that they are lining up in a spread-option formation but calling a specific ball carrier to be the primary ball carrier (absent a contrary read by the QB)."

Posted by Formerly Guest

4:13 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Poster,

Thanks for those insights. I certainly missed that level of detail.

My sense is that when Jake elected to keep it, there were many times he would end up starting 1-2 steps in the direction opposite of that taken by the back, and then change, and end up following in the general vicinity of the hole the back had taken. I do not recall Dixon often doing that.

UO just really was better at keeping the D spread out than we were.

Posted by costascoresagain

4:21 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Reality Check = Don James

4:21 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Their ability to spread the D was very much do to their fakes, the RB's carrying out the fake, the QB carrying out a good fake hand-off, and the QB carrying out a good fake run after he already got rid of the ball. This has everything to do with confusing the defense and creating individual match-ups. This is the primary reason I think Oregon will not be nearly as efficient at the start of the season as last year.

I did see, however, that Dixon do some reads that brought him around behind the counter-dive option (probably not planned play), and I did notice the counter-dive in some cases switching back to the other side. So, it's some zone-read even by the RB's as well. I really enjoy watching that offense, well, but I hope I don't enjoy it for the same reason when they are playing us.

Of further note, by tallying where each play ended up, with each formation, and against each defense, you can notice trends. The result may be a designed play or just a read option in response. But, it is typically keyed on mismatches, such as you'll see it go to the strong side or the weak side, it'll have a burner receiver in and use them as deception and go the opposite way or take advantage of the space underneath, you'll see it trend away from a good defensive player (line up in a formation, take as a first consideration the part of the option that goes away from that player), etc. But, when you add them all up, you typically notice one trend or another that a D-coordinator can key in to and disguise stuff, give reads for the linebackers (such as Lambright's concept of following the guards more than the lead blockers), etc. Something about it has to be revealed by a full offseason of watching tape.

Posted by Planning for the Future

4:29 PM, Aug 18, 2008

TO: MELLOWDAWG

There is no guarantee that Jake Heaps would sign with UW if Gervais were named UW head coach, but I think there would be a pretty fair chance of it happening. I have just got this wild idea to put a brilliant football mind with integrity to build the UW into a football power once again. With Heaps and Gervais there is the potential for the UW to compete for the national championship in a few years.

TO: JH

If Gervais is willing to relocate, he will have good football job offers no matter how the UW does this season. I hope one of those offers if from the UW.

Posted by augiedawg70

4:30 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Anyone know if Costa will be able to run Oregon's full offensive package?

and, vice versa,

Will Locker be running a bigger offensive package this year?

Posted by i got answers

4:37 PM, Aug 18, 2008

augie,

Posted by Formerly Guest

4:37 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Poster,

Again thanks for your opinion. Much more sophisticated than mine, certainly.

I knew that DIxon was a master at the fakes, but I really thought that they had a lot more team speed than we did (because it looked that way) and that this was the major reason we could spread people out so to speak.

I recall after we played them, Savanah explained it was like practicing against Bellevue's WIng-T, which is disciplined and fast. We never knew were the ball was. Hopefully we get to that level of decption through disciplined faking.

I recall UA saying they practiced for UO by having the scout team use a nerf ball when they ran the spread, so you could never relaly tell where the ball was. It also helped that DIxon got hurt.

I was also under the apparent misimpression that the QB run vs. dive was 95% of the time a zone read.

One other observation on DIxon...I wonder if you can comment on this from your recent film study:

I recall he would be flat footed when faking/handing off to the back, but make that 1 jab step. His shoulders, head and eyes were always square down field. It was hard to tell on TV close-ups, but it seemed very difficult where his eyes were focused, almost as if was not giving away any location of where he might run once he had the ball. LIke a point guard making a no-look pass in a way, or freezing the safety with your eyes before throwing a fade.

It seems when I have seen other QBs like Jake make this play, they are already leaning with their head, shoulders and eyes where they are going to be running the ball if they keep it. Am I delusional, or does this - in your mind- play a role as well?

Thanks.

4:38 PM, Aug 18, 2008

augiedawg,

Good question. The general wisdom is that you start QB's with smaller packages, and/or have less audibles. I remember hearing Willingham/Lappano say something about Jake having more (any) audibles this year, and we probably have a few new wrinkles in the playbook. I'm almost certain he'll have full range.

As far as Costa goes, as far as I can tell Oregon's offensive strategy last year hinged on a play called "make the defense look stupid." Well, what I mean is, I don't know enough about their playbook or him to say if how much of it he'll run, but I'd be very surprised if he had full reign of either the plays or the audibles. But, one thing that interested me about that offensive is it simultaneously appeared to have simple sets but lots of options. Meaning, if it does turn out to be easier to run the full offense due to Kelly's good design (simplying the job for the QB), then Kelly will be a HC before too long.

4:41 PM, Aug 18, 2008

I'll apologize for all the typos. I usually don't, but this time it's warranted. That is, don't let them distract from the point of the post(s).

Posted by Formerly Guest

4:45 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Poster/aguiedawg,

Thanks for your insights/questions. Made the last 30 minutes of this thread enjoyable and educational.

Posted by augiedawg70

4:46 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Thanks, both of you. This is great stuff and the kind of things I want to know when I'm 1,500 miles away and the season starts in 2 weeks.

Now, can someone tell me how Oregon's O-line is going to fair this year against our defense? I'm assuming that Donatell has spent the off-season running the film on Oregon's offense. Is he brighter than Kelly?

Posted by mr. wellbeloved

4:47 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Posted by jh

3:53 PM, Aug 18, 2008

..."I'm talking about getting a brilliant football mind in Steve Gervais"...

greater/equal to Gerry Faust.

Posted by augiedawg70

4:48 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Sorry about my typo: fair = fare

Posted by augiedawg70

4:51 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Mr. wellbeloved,

I forgot that Weis had a equally inept predecessor at ND.

Damn, that was funny.

4:51 PM, Aug 18, 2008

FG,

I want to respond to your post, but will do so later after I watch the tape again.

augie,

Oregon's O-line may be the best in the Pac-10. They'll be good. Our defensive front has talent but inexperience. I'm hoping Donatell's attacking D takes the fight to them and confuses their assignments in the same way Kelly's offense does the D. Although the match-up is uncertain, but we should be able to count on Oregon's O-line being very good.

I don't follow pro-football much, and don't really know anything about Donatell that I haven't read on here, so I don't really know if he is as good as they say, I just don't know. From the amount of time he spent in the league though, he has to be doing something right and he has to be very knowledgeable. That match-up, between those two coaches, is probably much more interesting than we'll ever know. Should be fun as hell, and it's almost here.

Posted by jh

4:53 PM, Aug 18, 2008

...so...if I understand you correctly...you believe Gervais signed on with willingham because he was betting on willingham being fired after year four?...and he would have a shot at the UW head coaching position?...

Posted by Sittingdawg

4:59 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Caldawg wrote: "The ESPN article on Locker is interesting. But it makes me ask a couple questions. Beloti talks about not being able to tackle him. An Oregon player and other call him a running back taking a direct snap etc. etc. Yet there is this worry that he will get hurt. The article says something about he can't run 172 times this season. Not sure if that is a reference to how many times he ran last year. But my question is why not. If he is a RB in QB clothing then why not. Run him. Why is he more likely to get a significant injury they any RB. Don't tell me how the season will be lost without him. I realize that. But my question is if he as big, strong, fast as the article states. Why not run. Run until they stop him. Which Beloti says they couldn't."

CD- If Jake's position was RB, then he would be perfectly capable of running as much as any running back. The likelihood of his getting injured would be the same as it is when he runs now. The reason it's different with a quarterback is because the drop off to second string is so much bigger than that for running backs.

UW, for example, could lose 3 running backs, and that would certainly hurt, but the 4th string would fill in and we'd move on. It's true for 1st string, and it's true for multiple strings. However, if we lost Locker, Fouch, and Leonard, we'd have a walk on starting at the most important position. We'd be like UCLA last year. Not to dog Taylor Bean, but there is such a large gap between each successive string.

Back to the point, though, it's not that Jake isn't tough enough to be a running back, but that you can't afford to drop strings on QB like you usually can on RB.

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

5:00 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Thanks for changing the subject, guys/gals...

Yeah, I remember that audible comment from Lappano and it gets me SUPER excited when considering Locker's intelligence.

Locker has said at least once this spring/summer that last year he was thinking about the playbook during plays a bit too much and this year he is not so worried about that, so I'd expect to see a more wide range of audibles and new plays (especially with the enhanced focus on the spread...some coach mentioned that UW's approach last year was more of spread-like but not so close to the customary spread the coaches are taking about this year).

On the spread...it seems that the most successful spread teams have tremendous speed and take advantage of this...true?

If that is the case, how is our speed this year on offense? I know of Locker, Polk on offense and today's comment on the quailty of running recently probably shows decent speed in the backfield.

What about the WRs though...seem that they (escpecially the slot) would need to be extremely quick/fast. Hopefully Polk plays the slot, but I don't think it reasonable for the incoming class to be change makers starting right out of the gate at the WR position (and 49 total yards from our leading returning WR doesn't really make me relax).

Another quick question...OK, I know we are all armchair coaches here and don't have a clue to what's going on in practice...but wouldn't we rather have Polk in the slot, rather than as a regular RB? I understand that he is mostly playing the RB position rather than WR/Slot...why at RB when we have good depth there...he doesn't add experience.

Posted by Dawg in the Couv

5:01 PM, Aug 18, 2008

jh, i usually ignore you're comments becuase, well, because they are just lame, but i give you props, this was pretty funny, and I'm a ty supporter...

"...I understand the Emmert rejected the $100,000 offer for willingham's firing out of hand...stating that it was far too much...and that $50,000 was more than fair...

Go Dawgs!!!

Posted by bayareahusky

5:05 PM, Aug 18, 2008

the last few posts were incredibly refreshing...you don't see threads about football on this "football" blog very often

Posted by Formerly Guest

5:10 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Poster,

regarding your response to Aguiedawg on Donatell, did you see the spring game this year? I saw some the net, very small screen. I could not really see what we were doing defensively. Could you?

My hope is that Donatell can disguise our looks and blitzes very well, enough to the point that freqeunt blitzing is successful. I recall reading comments by the O in the sping saying they were noticing this and it was making their practices miserable.

Dawg-gone,
I think our WR's are fast. Physical, I dunno? I think the main worry is, speed be damned, they will be mentally overwhelmed by the speed of the game.

I guess I am going to trust that Polk is that much better at RB than anyone else - especially with Yak and Johnson out. Perhaps he plays as 1st string RB, and then whenver they use a slot back he moves there and Johnson, Yak or someone else comes in.

I am most intrigued to see how they do or do not use Freeman. I would have thought they might use him in the return game based in the limited positive info we have gotten on him, but Bob reports it looks like Goodwin and the Polks are getting the main look there.

Posted by Planning for the Future

5:12 PM, Aug 18, 2008

No "JH," I think Gervais joined the UW coaching staff to help Willingham win games.

Posted by Dawg in the Couv

5:17 PM, Aug 18, 2008

FG/poster/aguie/dawgone.........thank you for helping turn this in to a discussion about football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your insights are very much appreciated.

12 days....

Go Dawgs!!!

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

5:18 PM, Aug 18, 2008

FG:

Thanks...there certainly are a few reasons to be excited about Husky football this year.

Love to see Polk run around with Locker...let's pray for a good non-Polk running back, so he can get action at the slot and to complete a triple-threat on offense.

Can't wait to see what Donatello has in store...hopefully a resurrection to the days of old. He certainly has said all the right things, so far.

Woof!

Posted by mfsthorn

5:20 PM, Aug 18, 2008

DAWGONE:

I like Polk at RB - much easier to get him more touches. While it can happen, it's rare for a WR to impact a game greater than a RB.

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

5:23 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Dawg in the Couv...

Yeah, that previous topic got old quick...but I defend that it was indirectly about football and directly related to the blog topic.

I am just tired of seeing nothing happening from the department...and Emmert's comments about being a "good husky" put me on edge. Gee, I wonder if being a "good husky" requires us to want to be "more like Oregon" too.

Ok, I'll stop...

Posted by Coach Brooks

5:24 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Hey, something just dawned on me.

The first three letters in "Go Ducks" is God.

Do you think that means anything?

Posted by MelloDawg

5:25 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Let's see...

Camano,

Standard response by a Typologist: no facts, so they resort to personal attacks. I played mellophone, not flute. Hope that helps.

----------------------

Planning for the future,

Can you imagine the uproar if they named Gervais the new head coach? He should stay on as an assistant, acclimate himself to the college game, and THEN look to advance.

------------------------

Emmert is our football president. He hired Nick Saban, so that MUST mean he knows what he's doing with Ty, right? I mean, ignore the hundreds and hundreds of angry letters he probably got and how boosters likely revolted against him last year.

Rest assured that Emmert was only saying the things he needed to say. Once this year is over and the proof is in the pudding (again) regarding Ty, he'll make the call.

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

5:25 PM, Aug 18, 2008

...or was it Turner who said that about Oregon...

...I think I may have got my wires crossed...sorry...my apologies for the misquote...

Posted by jh

5:29 PM, Aug 18, 2008

..."I think Gervais joined the UW coaching staff to help Willingham win games"...

...well...then I REALLY question his football knowledge!...

Posted by augiedawg70

5:32 PM, Aug 18, 2008

The Oregon interlopers on here keep reminding us about how good their secondary is this year.

Will this matter to Locker and our O-line on the 30th?

Posted by Tod J.!

5:32 PM, Aug 18, 2008

OMG! Upper campus BS! Well, ME is now a convert! F them! Don't EVER expect the UW to be a traditional power in football EVER again! Not with the LIBERAL SOB's on upper campus running the program. F me!

Posted by LFPDawg

5:35 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Mello, what do you think about the UW not having an athletic director eleven days before we leave for Eugene? Btw, are you doing the V/A game?

Posted by jh

5:39 PM, Aug 18, 2008

...why should Emmert replace the AD after less than a year?...he hasn't had a head coach in over three...

Posted by firety.com

5:49 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Emmert is a total moron!!! So if you sit back and can accept 9th,10th and 10th in the Pac-10 that makes you a good fan?? What a total A-Hole for making that statement. Softy let him off the hook though on a few questions, one being how do you explain to your fan base you wasting 75k on the hiring of a consulting firm and have yet to see any results from it.

Rutgers was able to raise 120million dollars strictly through donations to fund phase 1 of there new stadium renovation, but yet the U-dub wants the state to foot the bill? I mean I would love to have the state pay but I must say I would rather see the money raised by udub alumns or fans of the program.

The only thing I will agree with Emmert on is that I do work in the Hospitality industry and as a Sales manager I have already seen about 30-
35 rooms booked for Sept.13 for the OU game alone so I will agree that college fans do travel a bit more than NFL fans.

Posted by Banned

6:10 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Emmert is wise
Emmert is right
Wait for the games to play out

Support the players
Support the coaches

Its not that complicated
Go Dawgs

Posted by Doug

7:29 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Emmert is too stupid to live. How is this man in any position of management besides MAYBE a taco bell?

Posted by ag

7:56 PM, Aug 18, 2008

I see that we could stay on the topic of football only so long before the usual suspects were able to get things back on topic so we could keep beating our dead horse. Nice try poster and augie, it was fun for a while.

Let me give it a try. Weve heard a lot about this years incoming freshmen getting some playing time. But Im wondering about the redshirt freshmen on the defense who have had a year in the program to get bigger and stronger but we havent actually seen play yet. Im very excited to see how they do.

Kalani Aldrich
Pete Galbraith
Nick Wood
Tyrone Duncan
Conrad Remington
Cort Dennison
Quinton Richardson
Marquis Persley

Are there any stars in this group? Any of them going to make a big impact this year?

Posted by jh

8:23 PM, Aug 18, 2008

...stars?...yea...two and three-stars (Rivals.com)...

Posted by duxXx

8:31 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Oregon doesnt look at sub 4* players. we are amongst the nations elite, bested only by LSU. We beat $UC last year by a large margin and demoralized em.

Posted by ag

8:40 PM, Aug 18, 2008

I've always thought this whole star thing is really overrated. All they are is rating the potential of a high school kid. No one knows how it is really going to turn out. Once theyve been in college for a year or two it is all totally irrelevant anyway. At that point the ones that rise to the top are the ones that have put in the time, worked the hardest, and prepared themselves to be top flight college football players. Sure the 4 and 5 stars are the ones who seem to have best chance of pulling that off, but it doesnt always turn out that way. There will always be big time recruits that for whatever reason never fulfill that potential, and there will be 2 and 3 stars that work hard and learn and reach levels that no one expected of them. Who knows why that is? Kids have different rates of development, different attitudes, different temperaments. It is all just very difficult to predict. I think a true test of a 5 star football player would be the one that works hard, succeeds as college player, and then gets chosen in the first 2 or 3 rounds of the NFL draft. Then the real 4 stars are the ones that fill out the rest of the draft and the 3 stars are the ones who get asked to camp as free agents. If players cant get that far and it wasnt injury or grades that took them out, then they were probably very overrated coming out of high school. Even at that point they are still getting rated on potential and the ones that really deserve the 5 stars are the guys that are able to establish themselves and turn all that potential into an NFL career.

Posted by husky duck and coug @$$#0!#$

8:47 PM, Aug 18, 2008

I'm so glad to see moron Huksies and dip$#!+ ducks and cougs posing as Huskies so happy to toss another fan overboard. When there are 18,000 Husky fans left cheering on a 3 win team, I hope you're happy. Anyway, F U and you're program. What a bunch of @$$holes.

Posted by Formerly Guest

9:14 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Ag,
regarding your thoughts on recruiting ratings- I agree they are frequently imperfect, but they are there for a reason. A "*****" guy becomes all conference much more frequently than a "**" guy. Not all the time, but more frequently.

Regarding your question on the redshirted defensive players, I dunno. But I posed it to Bob, in a way, on the next thread. Hope that is OK with you...

Posted by Oahu Husky CBE Inc

1:28 AM, Aug 19, 2008

I believe in Coach Willingham and I am so proud of what he has done with the program off the field with the community and also on the field.

He has built strong man in faith, character, and integrity that with positive impact with community as well as stellar performance on the field.

With the changes in coaching staff and the dedication of the team I believe we will do very

Posted by Oahu Husky CBE Inc

1:30 AM, Aug 19, 2008

WELL!!!

Posted by DawgsWin

3:17 AM, Aug 19, 2008

Fans like Oahu Husky (if this person is actually a Husky) will have this program at the level of Duke Football in ten years if we don't get going quickly.

To think that you actually said "stellar" performance on the field is laughable. 11-25 and finishing in 9th/10 every season is good progress to you?

We have a bunch of clueless fans when it comes to college football. It seems there a bunch that don't think wins matter. That's sickening.

He'll be gone (and he should be) if he doesn't win at least eight games.

Posted by ag

7:01 AM, Aug 19, 2008

Daugswin, If you were to actually read what Mr Oahu said, he thinks the Huskies will win with TW as the coach. What's wrong with a little hope and optimism? You never know, he might be right.

Posted by Jordan

8:35 AM, Aug 19, 2008

Yeah I am getting close to being done reading this blog as well. It really isn't as good as it once was because the only thing anyone wants to continually talk about is Tyrone Willingham. And the blog is monopolized by three or four really ridiculous people who want to bring every topic back to that. As I've said before, I'm not having that conversation anymore. It is pointless.

Tyrone Willingham is the coach at the University of Washington and as such he has my full support. And I think it is a complete waste of time to speculate on whether he should stay or go until after week 7. Any opinion about how this team will do this year is based on speculation and history. They haven't played a game yet. I don't care about how high someone's stars are or how low their recruiting stars are, how great a team looks on paper, or what an "expert" (who is many cases has never personally seen this team play or practice and in several cases has never played a down of football in their life) says about how this team will do.

Someone said earlier in the week, talk is cheap. That's true. And it's even cheaper on a blog where you can hide behind your made up name or personality. So, I am going to spend a lot less time talking including this blog and go and get involved in the stadium renovation project and do everything I can to help Willingham, Emmert, and the University of Washington rebuild one of the icons of the Northwest.

Posted by Jordan

8:43 AM, Aug 19, 2008

I'll talk to you all again on October 26th. Have a great rest of your summer and GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Husky nightcap, day 15