Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 13, 2008 4:31 PM

Afternoon practice update --- Kelemete in

Just back from the media access to afternoon practice and there was indeed a new Husky onboard --- defensive tackle Senio Kelemete, wearing No. 93.

It had been reported here last week he would be in this week pending completion of an on-line course to fullfill a core-course requirement, and he obviously got the work done.

Kelemete will have to go through a five-day acclimatization period before he can do full-contact work. But that will still give him a good week of practice before the Huskies hit game-week preparation against Oregon, and coaches have said he'll have the opportunity to work his way into the rotation on a young defensive line.

Other notes:

--- After a full-pads workout this morning the team was going light this afternoon wearing helmets, shells and shorts.

--- All of the players who missed the morning workout were still sidelined, including Jake Locker. Added to the list of injured were LB Cort Dennison, RB Terrance Dailey, WR Vince Taylor and DT Alameda Ta'amu. Ta'amu was likely resting his foot, while it's uncertain what the issue was with the others, though none appeared to be serious --- given the fact that it was a light workout, it's possible these were all just precautionary. C Juan Garcia was also taking the practice off, having previously said he will go just once a day.As promised, S Victor Aiyewa was back.

--- The centers spent a lot of time practicing shotgun snaps before hand. a group that included Ryan Tolar.

--- Former UW QB Johnny DuRocher was a visitor at practice as was Zach Fogerson, the younger brother of Johri Fogerson.

All for now.

Posted by Husky19

4:52 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Good news about Kelemete.

Posted by Craig

5:19 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Nice to have Senio in camp...finally! I'm looking forward to seeing what the young D-line pups can do.

Posted by poster

5:34 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Excellent news about Kelemete, I think most of the evidence seemed to suggest he'd make it back this week.

To whoever was doing the recruiting rankings adjustments, feel free to do them again to incorporate the arrival of Kelemete.

Posted by Be Husky

5:35 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Welcome aboard Senio!

Instant help for the DL rotation - great & timely news!

Posted by cosmodave

5:43 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Forgot to throw in there that Willingham said there will be an addition to the roster this afternoon. The early money is on Senio Kelemete, whose coach said last week he could be done finishing up an on-line course this week. Reportedly, Kelemete took his last test Tuesday. We'll know for sure this afternoon."

does this mean that you or another reporter asked willingham who the addition would be and he flat refused to tell you? if so, what does he possibly have to gain by doing this? this must drive you crazy as a reporter.

Posted by Husky19

6:50 PM, Aug 13, 2008

cosmodave,

Why are you trying to find an issue when there isn't one??

The kid is in, that's all that matters. Who cares if Ty did not didn't disclose the players name. What is you problem.

I think people on this blog (that have issues with Ty's not disclosing info) have feelings of entitlement. Who are you, that Ty needs to let you know injury severity, player's personal reasons for leaving, or who is being added to the roster. Not your concern, just be happy the kid is in. He looks like a really good one!

Posted by Husky19

6:52 PM, Aug 13, 2008

I can't even spell or type anymore, I'm done with dumb people.

Posted by poster

7:17 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Husky19,

So, since you are a actual fan that is excited about the first game (good on ya, so am I), what do you think the score will be at the end of the 1st quarter and why?

Posted by ducks will win!

7:54 PM, Aug 13, 2008

21-0 DUCKS!! after first quarter. Ty gets his pink slip at halftime. Huskies go 0-12 for the year.

Posted by augiedawg70

7:55 PM, Aug 13, 2008

So, if we're going to lose to Oregon, which of their players would you rather have starting for us?

1. Costa or Locker?

Posted by Jordan

8:29 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Ducks will win,

Here's the problem. Your team is all flash. It's all glitz. Which works well if you're doing a fashion show (which some would argue UO is) but if you're playing football not so much. Your hard nosed rival has kicked your butt the last two years because of that exact reason. And they will again this year. Because your team is soft, gets injured, and fades in the second half of the season.

As far as Washington goes you may well be right. We very easily could get blown out. But here's the thing. With our quarterback we could also very easily absolutely pick apart your team. You have no idea what to expect from our defense. No clue, No film. I think it is going to be a very good game.

And even if you do win, if you look at our roster you will see how young we are. We are going to be one of the top teams in the PAC-10 for the next 2 years with the best quarterback in the conference. While your team will have huge losses to graduation. I think August 30th is going to be a lot closer than you think. But hey if you and every other Duck fan and player want to believe that a win against UW is an automatic go right ahead. That is just about the time that we will be kicking your asses up and down the field for overlooking us. It happens every time any team in any sport overlooks another team. We did it to Oregon State in 1985 and lost in one of the biggest upsets in PAC-10 history. And there is no way our team has as much of a talent differential as OSU did in 85'. But you should really wait until your team wins something before you and the rest of your fans are arrogant.

Posted by Huskiebob

8:29 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Frankly I get so sick of the di--heads that continaully post negative BS I just have decided to post less. It takes the fun out of the experience and truly helps me totally dislike certain teams (and their supporters). On the other hand , thinking of the entrance requirements for those schools (how do you spell Oregun) it is easy to understand their approach and lack of class. Ultimately the game will be decided on the field.

Regardless of the score, Washington continues to be a Tier One school while our neighbors to the south continue to be Tier Three. And if I am choosing a QB, Jake Locker is my choice over any other QB in the PAC-10 and the country!

8:51 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Cosmo --- Willingham was asked if there were any additions to the roster. He said yes there might be, but that he couldn't tell us yet who it was because it hadn't been finalized yet. He then said maybe he shouldn't have said that because we'd all wonder now.

Posted by Reality Check

8:55 PM, Aug 13, 2008

I was pondering some of the chat about whining and negativity, and (as usual) I have a comment.

I think it's whining to just bitch and moan with no real point and no real intention of trying to make things better. Sometimes venting is okay (it's a blog), but non-stop complaining does get old.

But I think there is a big difference between simply whining and actually trying to affect change. For example, I gripe a lot. I'll admit that. But I've also called the AD's office to voice my concerns and to offer help. I've flat out offered financial support (twice) for the stadium but was told they're still in the planning stages and it's too early for that.

Anyway, my point is I do see a difference between someone simply bitching versus someone who is very passionate, wants to see positive change, and uses this forum to try to change opinions.

Maybe I'm trying to split a hair here, but I do actually see a difference between the two and hope I'm falling into the second category of frustrated posters.

Posted by cosmodave

8:56 PM, Aug 13, 2008

husky 19-

i was asking a sincere question. i am not sure why you didnt like it or the tone, but it was a question i was asking bob. but thanks for putting me in my place.

and who am i? i am the one who spends over a thousand dollars on season tickets every year and many thousands more on apparel and gear and many hours of my life rooting for the program and the school.

thats who i am. am in entitled to know why curtis shaw left? no, i didnt ask for that.

am i entitled to know who is going to be on the roster for the opening game? yes, i think that it is perfectly acceptable.

but the biggest issue i was getting at, which you noticed, was ty's complete disregard to the fanbase and the media in general. he could care less about the fans which yes does bother me. he plays constant games with us and it is frustrating and frankly i think an ego trip on his part.

Posted by poster

9:24 PM, Aug 13, 2008

If the biggest issue was "ty's complete disregard to the fanbase and the media", then a situation where he actually divulges more information than was actually confirmed is a bad example to support that point.

One thing I don't recall seeing on here but I saw last year, was that after we had a couple of wins Ty changed considerably and was almost relatively jovial and open at the press conferences. This suggests all the losing tightens him up quite a bit, puts him on the defensive. I'm not sure if other people remember how he was after the Boise State game, but it was markedly different, and it actually carried over the after the THE OSU loss. Point being, if we win game 1, I'm going to pay particular attention to his manner to see if that change happens conditionally like it did last year.

Posted by mfsthorn

9:44 PM, Aug 13, 2008

RC:

I agree with you -- anybody can be a critic, everybody can notice what's wrong; that's no trick.

Identifying problems is easy, and actually more often than not identifying solutions is easy -- implementing and following thru is where it gets difficult.

On a different note, I don't think coaches owe fans or media anything, especially in the internet age. Even if one contributes serious sums of money, I don't think that entitles them to anything more.

That would be like going into a 7-Eleven and telling the owner because you shop there regularly that he (or she) owes it to you discuss his business plan or entitles you to tell him (or her) how to run their business.

Posted by augiedawg70

11:07 PM, Aug 13, 2008

2. Oregon's JC transfer running back or Johnson, Homer and all of our kiddies

Posted by Husky19

1:00 AM, Aug 14, 2008

If I were Ty I wouldn't tell anyone anything. Poster is correct, as UW wins Ty eases up a bit, but you can't blame the guy, there are so many people against him, media and fans.

It's that old cliche, your damn if you do and your damn if you don't. It's a lose/lose.

If he keeps quiet and is vague people get upset and think he is hiding something.

If he discloses info, people will say that shows a complete disregard for the player's personal information. If he states injuries, he is letting opponents know what to game plan for or what not to game plan. If Locker can't play against oregon, do we really want oregon to know 3 weeks in advance?? (Hypothetical of course!). If he states why EJ is out and it is because EJ has personal issues to deal with, is it really the "fans" right or need to know?

I for one am fine with ANY coach giving away whatever information or lack of information.

Cosmodave, I apologize for jumping all over you, it was not you specifically but rather countless posts saying the same thing. So I apologize for singling you out and getting after you.

Poster, halftime UW 24 UO 16.

Posted by TD1628

5:31 PM, Aug 14, 2008

"Your hard nosed rival has kicked your butt the last two years because of that exact reason."

This from Husky fans whose team has lost 3 of the last 4 to WSU. By the way, the UO lost the last two games by missing FGs as time was running out that would have won both. Not exactly a "butt kicking".

"You have no idea what to expect from our defense. No clue, no film."

Actually the word from Husky camp is that the "new" defense isn't that much different than the "old" defense, perhaps a bit more aggressive. If the new DC is smart, given last year, he will be spending a lot of time on fundamentals rather than "exotic schemes". I think the odds are unlikely that UW will roll out something that no one of the Duck staff has ever seen. It isn't like the new DC doesn't have a history out there on which schemes he prefers.

"And even if you do win, if you look at our roster you will see how young we are. We are going to be one of the top teams in the Pac-10 for next two years with the best quarterback in the conference. While your team will have huge losses to graduation."

It isn't like the UO is all seniors. Phil Steele rates the UO as the 40th most "veteran" team out of 119, about in the middle. The UO has finished in the top 30 nationally (Rivals) in 3 of the last 4 years. There are a lot of exciting young guys you may not have heard much about that aren't playing much yet because the UO doesn't have to start them - because there are very good juniors and seniors ahead of them. In fact, there are several positions, such as OL, LB, and DBs, where the word is the young talent is as good as any time in recent memory.

Posted by TD1628

5:42 PM, Aug 14, 2008

"The UO has finished in the to 30 nationally (Rivals) in 3 of the last four years."

That should read: "in recruiting". Had to retype due to an error and that dropped out.

2005: (28th), 2006: (49th), 2007: (11th), 2008: (19th).

Afternoon practice notes --- Locker getting closer?

Huskies get fourth commit