Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 20, 2008 9:37 AM

Wednesday A.M practice report

With the weather being unpredictable and fall-like, the Huskies moved indoors this morning for the first time during camp.

Players were in full pads, and there was an increasing number of them with a few guys returning, most notably TE Michael Gottlieb, who had been out since last Monday with a hamstring strain.

Gottlieb ran onto the field late after stretching had already begun to a hearty cry of "Hey Gotti'' from one teammate.

Also back were DT Cameron Elisara, out the last two days while tending to an academic issue, and WRs Devin Aguilar and Charles Hawkins, limited of late with injuries.

And also back was RB Brandon Johnson, who had been out on Tuesday afternoon for an unknown reason after saying during the lunch media period that he had made it through Monday's practice just fine.

The Huskies had their full complement of running backs for one of the few times in the last week or so with Brandon Yakaboski also back.

The only players not there appeared to be C Juan Garcia (who has said he is sitting out one practice on days there are two), safeties Nate Williams and Jason Wells and CB Byron Davenport. Wells and Davenport are each battling lingering injuries while Williams appeared to be a little slowed during Tuesday's practice. We may get more detailed word on his issue later.

With Wells and Williams out and Victor Aiyewa in uniform but still apparently limited, the starting safeties when the team went into a defensive drill to begin practice were Darin Harris and Tripper Johnson. New defensive coordinator Ed Donatell was quite animated as he ran the players through the drill (essentially, teaching them a formation that I won't go into here), further evidence of his hands-on coaching ability that players and observers alike since his arrival.

MORNING LINKS

--- My story for the paper today focused on Jake Locker's return.

--- Also in our paper today was this look at UCLA from Bud Withers as he continues his preview of the Pac-10.

--- Ted Miller has his usual array of links from around the conference. Included is this updated ranking of the Pac-10 from Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News, who sees a gloomy season ahead for the Huskies.

All for now.

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

10:05 AM, Aug 20, 2008

FIRST FO SHO!!!

Please don't start another pro-Ty, anti-Ty debate out of this...but how coy do any of you think the coaching staff is about hiding this team as much as possible until the first game.

I mean, it makes perfect sense...since we are rolling out a new defense and have some offensive wildcards, such as the slot, rb, te, wr positions.

Especially since our first game is Oregon, I'd do the same thing with practices, reporting to the media, NDA contracts with guests at practices...

Is it possible that say, for example (just for example!) Tripper Johnson is an absolute stud and they are keeping him a secret for the first game?

I suppose no one athlete can have that impact, so my thinking doesn't make much sense...but with so MANY wildcards, perhaps this is the perfect approach with a first game against our most heated rival.

But the spring/summer/fall practices have been so tight lipped that it seems to me this isn't just because the media (The Times) has ransacked the football team.

It's no secret that anamosity often runs deep at times between media and coaches. Given Ty's personality, it doesn't seem that he would do this becaue of the local media.

I'm just getting this feeling that the coaching staff is being quite coy over revealing any significant info about the team until 8/30...

One thing is for certain, this is making great drama and I'm more excited for this year to get started.

Was out at dinner last night and saw FSN's add for the Dawg/*uck game and got tingles town the back of my neck.

Hopefully I'm as excited about the team after the first game, as I was last year after destroying Syracuse....(I know, I know...it was Syracuse).

So, my question...is the tighted lipped info more because of question marks in the UW coaches minds or question marks in the *uck's coaches minds.

Posted by purpledawgz

10:06 AM, Aug 20, 2008

10 days... 8/30/2008

I hope some of you are getting as excited as I am. The anticipation continues to build, and by this time next week I will be licking my chops just to watch Oregon State and Stanford play on Thursday night. It's been a crazy ride so far, but we're not done yet, Husky fans! Therefore, let the posting continue as there are no less than eight remaining reasons in my countdown of the...

TOP 30 REASONS THE DAWGS WILL GO BOWLING IN 2008

30. Chocolate Milk Does a Team Good (Fore!!!!!! - 7/28)
29. 5th Quarter Conditioning (Monday afternoon links - 7/28)
28. Redshirt Freshman = Last Year’s Scout Team (July questions, take six – 7/29)
27. At Least One Weather Assisted-Win (Thursday links – 7/31)
26. Passion and Purpose Are Back (On those darn second halves - 7/31)
25. Tim Lappano’s Options (Monday A.M. links - 8/4)
24. Sleeper “Bullets” (Monday A.M. links - 8/4)
23. JD Williams Makes Monsters Out of Men (Monday A.M. links - 8/4)
22. Husky Stadium Rocks at 135 dB (More thoughts on Savannah – 8/4)
21. Defense Has Nowhere to Go But Up (Wednesday morning links - 8/6)
20. Chris Polk = Purple and Gold Reggie Bush (Thursday morning links - 8/7)
19. Baggett’s New Crew Does It Too (Husky nightcap, day four - 8/7)
18. Return of Neuheisel (Monday A.M. practice notes - 8/11)
17. Special Teams Now Special for Right Reasons (Monday A.M. practice notes - 8/11)
16. 3-4 Defense Surprises Early Opponents (Monday A.M. practice notes - 8/11)
15. Coach Willingham Pulls-Out All the Stops (Husky nightcap, Aug. 11 edition - 8/11)
14. Linebackers Pick-up Slack (Husky nightcap, day nine - 8/12)
13. More TE (Don James speaks – 8/14)
12. Rematch: Willingham vs. Weis (Friday links – 8/15)
11. Steve Gervais Gets Results in a Flash (QB Jake Locker back at practice – 8/18)
10. Bye, Bye, Bye (QB Jake Locker back at practice – 8/18)
9. Backfield is Stable Full of Horses (Husky nightcap, day 15 – 8/18)

8. Randy Hart Proves Himself Yet Again – Here’s a man who has been through the thick-and-thin. He coached as an assistant during the glory days of the early 1990’s. He coached through the sanctions. He coached for Neuheisel and our last Rose Bowl championship team. He coached for the lowly 1-10 team. He has seen it all. The ups, the downs, and the chutes and ladders that take us either direction. This year, he will prove once again why he is as good a Husky as we could ever ask for!

People are all too eager to jump on this young, inexperienced group of linemen. “How is it possible for a team that gave up so many rushing yards last year to start players that don’t have playing experience and improve on those numbers?” Randy Hart has all the credentials you could ask for when it comes to coaching inexperienced, passionate young men to reach such lofty goals. Here’s the short list:

Steve Emtman
Dennis Brown
D'Marco Farr
David Richie
Tyrone Rodgers
Jamal Fountaine
Jason Chorak
Jabari Issa
Mac Tuiaea
Larry Tripplett
Terry Johnson

Sure. Last year’s group was a bust. There is no doubt about it. But, note that guys like Tripplett and Johnson did not play that long ago. So, I will not be swayed to believe that Hart is “too old” or “has lost his touch”. I think there is only so much a coach can do to inspire and develop players. At some point, the players must take over and coach themselves. They must use what they’ve learned and dig deeper and make the plays on game day. There are also defensive schemes that may benefit or handicap a line. We will never really know why guys like Gunheim, Lobos, Rayford, and Reffett could not get the job done. But that does not matter. What does matter is what happens this year. And this is who Hart has to work with:

Aldrich
Duncan
Elisara
Jones
Kelemete
Kirton
Matthews
Ta’Amu
Te’o-Nesheim
Wood

Now I see why Donatell wants to rotate liberally. If he can get each person in that group ready to contribute at least 10 downs per game, we can keep that defensive line fresh. Instead of 2nd halves being our weakness where we lose leads, you’ll see that this year it is our strength where we come from behind to win games. Of course, getting those players prepared to take the field is one man’s responsibility. That Husky, in whom I have the greatest faith, is Randy Hart. So, where this may be the biggest quesiton mark of all on the team and the weakest spot according to most experts and prognosticators, I feel this could be one of our greatest strengths and a conference surprise by the end of the year. Donatell will know how to use them. But Randy Hart will prepare them all to be used and make the plays...

Posted by GOB

10:10 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Purple -

The list just keeps getting better

I love seeing any list sporting Jason Chorak, the chipped tooth bone crushing monster.

Glad to hear Yakaboski is back - really would like to see what he can do on the field. Hopefully he makes it onto the rotations short list.

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

10:11 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Hell yeah!!! From the get-go I thought this Tripper guy could be a total goldmine for the team.

To hear the news above, that he's taking first team reps makes me even more excited to see him on the field (I know it was due to injuries...but this story is starting to get really intriguing.

A guy with professional experience and in the prime of his physical life.

Posted by GOB

10:13 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Anyone see parallels between Tripper and Zibokowski?

I think this guy is one hell of a wildcard - what we need to inject some fire into our secondary

Posted by UW Dawg Fan on Campus

10:20 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Purple-
I gotta say I love the countdown. I can feel your energy and excitement in your comments and it makes me even more excited. It is just nice to come on a HUSKY FOOTBALL blog and talk about all the great things are to come this season instead of the same jargon. Can't wait until #1.

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

10:26 AM, Aug 20, 2008

GOB:

It's hard not to see the parallels (although I'd rather have a boxer than a baseball player as linebacker...if I had my choice).

But seems that Tripper might be a little ahead of Zbikowski, given that Zbikowski didn't play his freshman year. Tripper might get some playing time this year, with a DC that wants to rotate.

Was Zbikowski a walk-on though?

"Woof!"

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

10:28 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Oops...I mean safety...

Posted by OnterioSmith

10:28 AM, Aug 20, 2008

GOB-

Besides being white safeties there is not any information to suggest this. TZ is not 26, he is not a baseball player. TJ is not a boxer... Not sure where you draw that cpomparison considering TJ has not played a down and we can't get more than a prepractice stretching report. Try again... All we have to go on are the bios since we don't want to give away our entire gameplan.

Posted by BainbridgeDawg

10:28 AM, Aug 20, 2008

GOB: For the Huskies sake, I hope not. Zibby was lovingly known to the ND fans at my church as Highway 9, a clear road to the endzone. The guy never met a playaction on which he didn't bite.

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

10:33 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Bainbridge...is that why he was drafted by the Ravens?

Ontario...go back to your wizzanator and lame *uck Oregon blog.

"woof"

Posted by Seattle Dave

10:39 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Bainbridge, I can't believe I'm actually going to defend an ND player let alone one as hyped as Zbikowski, but you have to admit the kid could play. 4 TDs on turnovers from the safety position and 3 more on punt returns does not suck. Also he started for them for four years. We can only hope that Tripper gives us half of what Zibby gave ND.

Posted by Paul

10:41 AM, Aug 20, 2008

The moment I heard that Tripper was walking on, I started running my mouth about how he would start. I went to high school with him, and even though he decided to play baseball right after we graduated, he was by far a better football player.

He will come out of nowhere this year to be a bigtime contributor.

Posted by Jason

10:45 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Purple,

Love the list. Tripper is going to be a stud and a leader for the next few years. Check out some of his youtube highlights:

Thanks to Paul for showing me this.

Posted by DAWGONE in AZ

10:56 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Jason, thanks for the link...

After looking at the video...why is this guy on the defensive side of the ball?

Posted by kdawg

11:01 AM, Aug 20, 2008

I agree the Dawgs have a lot of question marks on both sides of the ball - running back, wide receiver, DL, and defense in general. However, a great QB and an outstanding OL can go a long way to making a bad day for our opponents. It baffles me that only weaknesses are repeated like a mantra. 9th place in the PAC? What's Wilner smoking?

Posted by bkiggy944

11:01 AM, Aug 20, 2008

jason thanks for the link for two reasons,

It is good to see some footage of tripper. I hadn't seen it. He doesn't seem to be fast, but he seems big. It also seems from the footage that he plays a lot from intuition (sp). A lot of the intercepts he seemed to float to the right place in the field. Made the passes look bad more then himself look good.

second reason,

That video was linked to this which is just hilarious...

Posted by marc

11:03 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Jordan Polk is a Devin Hester clone.

Posted by augiedawg70

11:19 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Hey Mello,

It's only 10 days to the start of the most exciting season in Husky football in five years! How's therapy going?

Posted by GO DUCKS!!!

11:28 AM, Aug 20, 2008

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Williams3

11:29 AM, Aug 20, 2008

No way around it. Jordan Polk was a man among boys in high school.

ET moves with a work ethic...

Definitely should be an asset in the return game.

Posted by el duderino

11:32 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Word on the street is Jake Locker approves of the direction the comments on this post have taken. Jake Locker also thinks the fans need to spend more time thinking about bowl game travel arraignments.

Posted by AZ Dawg

11:40 AM, Aug 20, 2008

No one's biting on the formation comment? 3-4 anyone?

Posted by andrew

11:45 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Go O Go,

DAMM Son! Hate your school but reading that got me pumped!! I love college football!!
-----

Ticket holders,
Let's help our team out by screaming our lungs out! Stop sitting on your asses with your hands in your pockets! Suck it up for a couple hours!!! Let's provide the Dawgs with the same home field atmospher the Hawks get.d

Posted by huskylove

11:52 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Andrew,

Thank you for the comment, that's all we need to do, support our team and coaches, stop the negative talk. Doesn't get us anywhere.
LET'S SUPPORT OUR TEAM...GO HUSKIES

Posted by Jason

11:53 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Andrew,

You know I'll be screaming my head off. Just like last year, I want the people behind me to tell me, "Sir, this isn't the student section."

GO DAWGS!!!

Posted by SuperFraud

11:55 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Real men don't wear purple.

Posted by boondawg

11:57 AM, Aug 20, 2008

They bleed purple.

Posted by augiedawg70

12:01 PM, Aug 20, 2008

That's because we're actually animals, especially when we travel South.

Posted by GO DUCKS!!!

12:04 PM, Aug 20, 2008

What's that? I can't hear you?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by neat

12:08 PM, Aug 20, 2008

duck fans are cool

Posted by to Andrew

12:44 PM, Aug 20, 2008

Andrew:

The reason Husky Stadium isn't nearly as loud as it used to be is that 1/3 of the crowd is for the other team or the seats are empty if the other team doesn't have travelling fans. I used to go to Seahawks games in the 90's, and it was the same deal. The stadium might be full, but 15,000 of the fans would be there for the raiders, broncos, etc.

Now the Huskies are in that boat. They have only sold about 40,000 season tickets. They used to sell well over 60,000 season tickets. So you can bet when BYU rolls into town or Oklahoma comes here, that you're going to see a lot of opponent's fans there.

In short, 40,000 Husky fans just can't make the noise that 70,000 Husky fans used to make.

Posted by andrew

12:55 PM, Aug 20, 2008

Then we will just have to make up for the other 20K won't we? Gonna have to sream even louder!

Posted by BoiseTruth

1:00 PM, Aug 20, 2008

Kellen Moore Update:

Kellen Moore named starting QB at Boise State.

Wonder what Kirby Moore will do.

Posted by Coach Brooks

1:04 PM, Aug 20, 2008

I know that many of you have been to Autzen to watch a Ducks/Husky match-up. Hopefully we’ve treated you with dignity, although as a 30-year Duck Fan, I doubt that you’ve returned the favor.

It’s my understanding that this year we’re going to seat you between the band and the student section and when you combine this with the fact that it’s a night game, I actually get a little concerned about your safety. My suggestions to you are; don’t make too much noise and consider wearing grey instead of purple.

Just like neither of us wants to see a kid get badly injured and get carted off the field for either team, I don’t want to see you wind up in a tight spot surrounded by drunken, out of control mayhem. It seems to be getting crazier every year down here.

One thing I do hope to see is young Jake lifting his arms to our crowd, indicating that we can’t get disruptive him or the rest of the team. Many younger QB’s have done this first time they come to Autzen (usually around the 1st quarter) and they never do it again (watch your coaches if this happens, they’ll go nuts telling Jake to knock it off).

On the 30th, I’m bringing some pretty spendy hearing protection; I know it’s going to be loud – bordering on scary for me.

I can’t imagine what it’s going to be like for you.

Go Ducks!

Posted by OlyDawg

1:10 PM, Aug 20, 2008

Your fans are a-holes, I'll give you that. Nothing a traveling Dawg fan can't handle though. The traveling fans seem to be a hearty bunch from their previous experiences elsewhere in the Pac-10. They're not worried.

I'm imagining a 30 yard Locker run capped off with a forearm-shiver to Chung at midfield, silencing the Autzen faux-hippies.

Posted by el duderino

1:25 PM, Aug 20, 2008

Word on the street is that every time Jake Locker motions to the crowd girls just start getting naked.

Posted by SuperFraud

1:25 PM, Aug 20, 2008

I see interceptions by Locker. Lots of them....

Posted by augiedawg70

1:30 PM, Aug 20, 2008

I see the Huskies doing a lot more running than passing. So, your alleged interceptions are in your dreams.

Posted by augiedawg70

1:32 PM, Aug 20, 2008

Posted by SuperFraud

1:57 PM, Aug 20, 2008

Fuskies will attempt to run early. When they get behind they will be forced to pass. Lots of late desperation interceptions like the Ohio State game last year.

Posted by augiedawg70

2:01 PM, Aug 20, 2008

Why do you think we can't run on your defense?

Posted by Caldawg

2:12 PM, Aug 20, 2008

Brooks, I'm not buying any of your BS. We know your fans a jerks and don't know how to behave sober or drunk. Nice attempt at making it seem like a big deal. It's just another stadium. Only filled with jerks not real PAC 10 fans. Husky wanna bes.

Posted by SuperFraud

2:49 PM, Aug 20, 2008

augiedawg70: What makes you think Fuskies have an offense that could run on anybody?

caldawg: Nobody wants there their team to finish last place in their conference three years in a row or have 1-10 record. Nobody is a Fusky wannabe.

Posted by Dawg in the Couv

4:30 PM, Aug 20, 2008

hey coach brooks: if whoregon fans supposedly treat opponents with dignity, why are you concerned for our safety? last time i checked, it's not husky fans tossing glass beer bottles in to the opposing crowd. just another example of the type of inbred, hillbillie mountain folk that support "the Zero"

Dawgs win. Close game, but Dawgs win.

Go Dawgs!!!
-Ryan

Posted by augiedawg70

4:34 PM, Aug 20, 2008

SuperFraud,

Because your own coach said he could! So, make no mistake about it, the Huskies will run on you on 8/30/08.

Posted by Dawg in the Couv

4:34 PM, Aug 20, 2008

SuperFraud...why are you watching Husky games so closely? Man, this inferiority complex quack fans have is hilarious. Last time i watched a ducks game other then against the dawgs I was flipping through the channels in time to see Dixon trip over the 40 yard line, or whatever, and blow out his knee. I felt sad for him, laughed histerically for the quacks season, turned the channel and then i went to shower...watching the quacks makes one feel very dirty.

Posted by andrew

4:45 PM, Aug 20, 2008

Couv,

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

I watch as much Pact-10 ball as I can and Oregon was very fun to watch last year, until Dixon got hurt. Sorry you missed out buddy.

Can't say I didn't smile when Dixon went down. I almost ALMOST felt a little sorry for them. haha.

Alumni update