Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 19, 2008 7:01 PM

Husky nightcap, Day 16

A recap of the day that was:

WHAT HAPPENED --- UW held one full-pads practice in the afternoon.

THE BIG STORY --- Jake Locker took part in his second day of practices, meeting with the media before hand to say he had made it through two practices on Monday without suffering any setbacks.

It's a definite step in the right direction that he is back, but also too early to say he will be 100 percent for the Oregon game. Locker and UW coaches say they are being as cautious as can be with Locker, which likely means he's not doing a lot of running in practice.

"I don't want to do anything that's going to possibly re-injure it or push me back any,'' Locker said. "So when I feel comfortable with it, I will (go full speed). If that's Saturday the 30th, then that's what it will be.''

Also an issue is Locker regaining the passing rhythm he had early in camp., UW offensive coordinator Tim Lappano said Locker had had three really good days before getting hurt. It would only be normal if it took him some time to get that back.

The Huskies now have just 10 practices left before the opener at Oregon, so time is of the essence.

INJURY REPORT --- DT Cameron Elisara was not at practice the last two days while dealing with what coach Tyrone Willingham said were academic issues. Willingham said before Tuesday's practice he expected Elisara back, but he wasn't there during the portion open to the media.

Also missing Tuesday were RBs Brandon Johnson and Brandon Yakaboski, TE Michael Gottlieb, WR Charles Hawkins and CB Byron Davenport. Johnson returned to practice Monday and said he felt fine, so it's uncertain what his situation was Tuesday.

Among those in full pads was C Matt Sedillo, who had been limited since suffering a minor concussion a week ago.

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY --- I got a few today, so will answer them here:

Q: Any update on Craig Noble?

A: I actually talked with his high school coach, Matt Kerstetter, today and he said they are still in a wait-and-see mode on that test. "We should get some word by the end of this week,'' he said. "But as of this morning, we haven't heard anything.''

Q: Is Senio Kelemete in pads yet and can he get in the rotation by Aug. 30, especially if Alameda Ta'amu can't play?

A: He is in pads, having passed the five-day acclimatization period, and D-line coach Randy Hart continues to say that all available bodies could be in the rotation this season. Aug. 30 may be early for Kelemete, but as Hart points out, there are three byes this year making it a 15-week season --- and lots of extra time for practice for the young guys --- so he's not ruling anybody out for playing this season. Obviously, any injuries move everybody up.

Q: Have they given you an indication of who the two freshmen RBs are who are looking good?

A: All depends on your definition of freshmen, I guess. There is no doubt Chris Polk is in the running to be the starter. And David Freeman and Johri Fogerson have each earned a lot of praise for their play. My hunch right now is that the RB depth chart reads Polk, Willie Griffin, Fogerson and Freeman (with Johnson behind due to the injury).

Q: Is Victor Aiywea practicing at all yet since this groin pull?

A: Yes, he was back today and looked all right. Only problem now is Nate Williams looked a little slow today --- he appeared to have some ice on his leg the other day but we'll have to check what his issue is.

Q: Is Byron Davenport practicing? If so, any idea where he projects right now in depth? What was the injury he was dealing with again this summer?

A: No. He's dealing with a high ankle sprain and has been out about a week. Right now, he projects low on the depth chart because of that, but once healthy, he'd rise quickly as he was playing well before he got hurt.

WHAT'S NEXT --- Huskies are scheduled for two practices today, one in the morning and another in the afternoon.

Posted by 206dogg

8:29 PM, Aug 19, 2008

At this point in time, i don't see how brandon johnson is going to catch up to Polk. I really do think it's going to be Polk for the next 3 years, with BJ the back up. They are going to start shuffling some RB's to other positions- LB's and DB's. Yak, would make a great WLB!

Cameron Elisara, what in the HELL are you thinking. Stop trying to get away with doing the minimum and aim higher than the minimum amount of credits and you won't have these issues.

Posted by Rico

8:42 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Too bad Yak is always hurt. I agree he could make it as either a S or OLB. Fogerson could be a wicked S if he doesn't get in the RB rotation.

Posted by Swiss Cheese

8:49 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Freakin Darrin Harris and Josh Gage as two of our defensive starters? Give me a break. Looks like another long year.

Gage is the worst starting LB in the past ten years and Harris is the worst safety I've seen since Jimmy Newell.

Posted by Formerly Guest

8:57 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Boy,
I would have liked to see Yak at RB, to see what he can do. Bummer for my curiosity.

Bob,
Thanks for answering my questions. Got 1 more for you:
Can Davenport still redshirt, or is his redshirt year gone for the sit-out-year after he transferred? These high ankle sprain things can linger, and he was affected most of last season by the hamstring. It would be nice to see him get 1 year to show what he can do without being held back by a chronic injury.

Posted by MukilteoSean

9:12 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Victor Aiyewa had better be down just for this little injury period. Darin Harris is horrible. He wasn't the answer last year, he and forrester were tackle missing fools last year. Williams and Aiyewa have to be the starters if they are healthy. As for the other surprise, Josh Gage, I have nothing to say either way as I don't know enough about him. The rest of the starters seemed to have fallen in as expected. I'm hoping against hope that Ty truly meant, "if they had to play today" as we have injured players. In a weeks time, when Aiyewa is back to 100 and Locker, i think they are playing possum with him, maybe try to let Oregon think there is a chance he might not play ? Homer, Polk and Locker in the backfield does sound great, doesn't it ?

Posted by Huskiebob

9:18 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Let's not assume "academic issues" means academic problems. As I understand, summer quarter tests are going on so academic issues for a player could mean a great variety of things. To chastise Cameron assuming this means academic problems is classless and unfair.

No wonder the coaches want to give the media as little info as possible!

Posted by Formerly Guest

9:24 PM, Aug 19, 2008

So 2 threads back, "Shooting Treys" had a question on what we might expect from Donatell in the UO game. UW Dawgfan on Campus and RJ had some thoughts, mainly a lot of cover 2, taking the safeties out of run support, but using big physical DBs to keep UO WRs from getting off the line.

Anyone have any thoughts/expectations?

I guess I don't know how it will look, I just hope we don't see the same thing run more than once.

My hope is that Costa is very, very confused and cannot tell what is going on. I hope they mix 3-4 set with 4-3, mix various stunts with various blitzs and feigned blitzes, as well as varying between a minority of different zones and a majority of cover 2.

My other hope is that it is much spicier than what Baer ran last year, but still fairly vanilla the first 2 series. Then the 3rd series, boom...the defensive looks we show become completely unrecognizable and Donatell dials up the intensity. I think that would be even more disheartening to Costa, and give them much less time to figure out what it is before halftime, so they can't adjust to it. Sounds weird, but I think I have seen people do that and it be more effective.

They say Costa is very talented and very atheltic and I am sure he is. He has very little experience and I remember a very athletic and very green QB made to look very confused by an aggressive but well-disguised UCLA defensive attack early in the year last year. That QB was Jake Locker.

He looked uncomfortable when he hade to make reads on our QB run-TB dive option, he looked confused whenever he had to pass except for once. Other than a few QB keeps when he got into the open field, the only time he looked comfortable (I thought) was when the UCLA safety didn't cover Russo in the 4th QRTR on a deep go down the middle of the field and Locker hit him in stride with a long TD pass.

I actually think it would be to UO's advantage -despite his immobility - to playe Roper. He took his lumps the first few games he had to play, has some experience, and found some success in that bowl game. He would be much harder to confuse and potentially rattle.

Obviously the key will be our rotating DL. If they can't mount some decent resistance agaisnt that kick*ss UO OL, Costa doesn't have to do anything. Doesn't have to pass, or make reads in the option runs. They can just run scripted dive after dive after trap to this L Blount guy and tire us out I would think.

The other concern about inexperience, for me, is our green WRs. It is not Jake or that kick*ss secondary that UO is supposed to have. I think Jake will be able to read the zone from the man to man from all the blitzes, but I suspect our WRs won't be very good at it. When Jake gets blitzed, he needs them to see that coming, and them to break off their route into short bail out for him, right?

Whatever thoughts anyone has on this issue, I am curious what they are. I think we all await 8/30 with much suspense, correct?

Posted by Formerly Guest

9:33 PM, Aug 19, 2008

RJ,
Just reread your post a little more in depth from 2 threads ago. You think UO will run scripted plays most of 1st half with the idea their coaches can dissect us and make appropriate adjustments at halftime?

Sounds possible. I think many people, including Vegas prognosticators, think UO has enough of a talent advanatge to keep it at least even being very reigmented that first half.

I guess if that is a possible strategy by them, it might support my idea of Donatell trying to rattle them a little the first 2-3 series, but keeping his cards close to his vest with the real complex disgusied stuff until late in the 2nd QRTR or start of the 3rd.

We shall see.

Posted by Kyle

9:35 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Do you know anything about or pre-practice stretching and conditioning? Is it the same program as always? How does it compare to other college and pro teams? It seems like our players are getting an unusual amount of pulled/strained/torn muscles and ligaments.

Posted by G's Up

9:57 PM, Aug 19, 2008

It is finals week of B term. Elisara went to my high school and from what I was told he was a good student, intelligent. Perhaps he just took some tougher classes and is having to work a little harder than he expected. Besides, we saw what 'academic issues' were like with, was it Kelemete?, who had taken the right class but the NCAA clearinghouse screwed up. Not saying its the same situation obviously, but just that academic issues is pretty vague and jumping to conclusions doesn't get anyone anywhere. As a sidenote I just want to say that I am okay with being kept in the dark about the team and the practices, if it means that the Ducks are in the dark about our team and our practices (and whose healthy) as well.

Posted by 206dogg

10:37 PM, Aug 19, 2008

The only way that i'm not going to consider this unwarranted is if Cameron was taking EXTRA classes rather than taking classes to stay eligible. The first of them demonstrates assertivenss and being on top of things. The 2nd option shows a lack of attention and a 'just getting by' mentality.

Posted by Rebel Dawg

10:46 PM, Aug 19, 2008

I was wondering the same thing as Kyle. Whoever is in charge of the stretching needs to be fired now. Too many hamstring, calf, and groin injuries.

Pray for a healthy Aiyewa and Williams. Harris is a disaster. I would take a gimpy Jason Wells or an untested Tripper Johnson over Harris. Harris proved last year that he has no business being on the field.

Posted by Banned

10:52 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Here is something other than attendance
and injury reports.....

Posted by NHater

11:10 PM, Aug 19, 2008

SCREW HARRIS AND GAGE I WANT THEIR SCHOLLIES REVOKED. THEY WILL NOT START IF I HAD MY WAI

Posted by RJ

11:39 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Formerly Guest

I like the defensive thoughts, the longer Costa / Roper are confused the better.

Yes, I think Oregon will only open up the playbook if they have too... First down runs of 7 and 8 yards can't be allowed. I expect the Huskies to gamble and shoot the gaps a lot with linebackers and safeties to try and force the action. Even with the simple dive and misdirection plays there is no way Costa or Roper run that offense the way Dixon did. Oregon ain't scoring 50 plus agian.

Oregon has one good d lineman and a bunch of weak linebackers so the threat of Jake's feet will force the Ducks very good secondary to cheat up. Long ball opportunties will exist for the Dawgs young WR's and if the Huskies can connect on a few (like last year)...

As for Roper's success in that bowl game... remember the Ducks had 4 full weeks to prepare for South Florida and an entire season of the Bulls defensive schemes on film for Roper to study. Prior to that game the Ducks lost three in a row. What will he see when the new Dawg D takes the field? Advantage Huskies.

Also I love that this is the first game for both teams. In my mind that's a huge advantage to the team with the more experienced QB.

Posted by onewoodwacker

5:56 AM, Aug 20, 2008

I agree with 206dogg - what the hell are you thinking Cameron? Better question - why are you NOT thinking?

Polk may have been a great HS running back but I do not seeing him carring the load as a full-time starter in the Pac-10. His body is simply not mature enough to handle the pounding. Outside stuff yeah - sweeps, swing passes, end arounds one or two shots up the gut maybe - but full time pounding?

Plus - with Ty's job on the line, I just don't see him putting his career in the hands of a Fr. on a full-time basis. I really believe that we will see Kravitz lined up behind Homer more times than you might expect for the every-play stuff.

That's the nice thing about closed practices - no one really knows whats gonna happen! Go Dawgs

Posted by brockmandawg

6:09 AM, Aug 20, 2008

206, get real. If the dude took enough classes to pass, he isn't "just getting by." Nobody should be looked down on for taking enough classes to pass, especially if they are passing them. Oh well, your opinion doesn't really mean anything anyways.

Posted by onewoodwacker

6:16 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Why does Realdawg.com report the following:

With Jake Lockerís return to the team ahead of schedule......

I did not know there was EVER a schedule for his return. In fact, I remember Ty saying something like - He'll be back when he's back - I'm not worried. Then I remember everyone going off the deep end because "Ty doesn't care"!

And these recruiting sites want me to subscribe to them. BS, tell me the facts only.

Posted by onewoodwacker

6:23 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Brockmandawg -

I love and respect your posts, but how can you be upset at someone for hearing that another projected starter is going through academic issues?

When a person reads: "DT Cameron Elisara was not at practice the last two days while dealing with what coach Tyrone Willingham said were academic issues.", it gets stressful.

The defense was already a question mark then we lost EJ for grades and discipline, now Cameron is dealing with issues.

Posted by iowa husky

6:25 AM, Aug 20, 2008

onewood,

I love it when a news outlet tries to make a story out of a non-issue. Plenty of people eat it up too.

Posted by HarborDawg

7:04 AM, Aug 20, 2008

We need a game to flush out all the Oprah drama.

Some good ol on field action.

10 days boys and girls. I smell a Husky win and the beginning of a bowl bound season.

GO DAWGS

Posted by Jimmy 2 Shakes

7:46 AM, Aug 20, 2008

No amount of coaching is going to help when you have guys like Harris and Gage in your starting 11. Those guys should have joined Hasty and Murchison over at CWU.

Posted by Roughneck

7:52 AM, Aug 20, 2008

I think Chris Tormey probably knows a whole lot more than a bunch of us fans as to who his best 3 LB's are.

Got to wonder how Gage is ahead of Tuiasosopo, Chris Stevens and Matt Houston though.

Posted by brockmandawg

7:57 AM, Aug 20, 2008

onewood I'm upset at 206 for claiming that unless Elisara is overloading his course schedule, Elisara is "doing the bare minimum" and therefore is wrong.

That's ridiculous. Remember, these are student athletes, and the schedule that they have to work around is pretty challenging without overloading a course schedule.

His claim that Elisara is supposedly doing "the bare minimum" without having a clue about the academic issue that is in play at the moment really pisses me off. These kids try hard. The "bare minimumers" have been weeded out and are playing at places like Montana and central washington.

Posted by shooting treys

7:58 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Great job, everyone. Some great comments about how our defense might look on August 30th. A real football blog. Last year, there was talk about how no defensive (offensive, too?) adjustments were made during halftime. In addition to the type of defense we might see, I wonder if we'll see adjustments? Is that Ty's call or Donatell's call? I think it's the latter, but I don't know. If Oregon's running game is successful during the first half, what kind of adjustments could we see? Would we cheat up with the defensive backs and make Costa try to beat us over the top? What if that's our original strategy and they still ran on us . . . ? How do we fix that at halftime?

Posted by Williams3

8:06 AM, Aug 20, 2008

If I remember correctly, Darrin Harris was recovering from a back injury last year. He looked promising prior to his injury.

Lets reserve judgement to see how a year of strength training and practice has treated him.

Darrin Harris is not J. Newell.

Posted by Jim

8:27 AM, Aug 20, 2008

RJ, you're looking at the situation from only one perspective.

"As for Roper's success in that bowl game... remember the Ducks had 4 full weeks to prepare for South Florida and an entire season of the Bulls defensive schemes on film for Roper to study."

What about the fact that South Florida also had 4 full weeks to prepare for Oregon, with an entire season of offensive schemes to prepare for? With the experience on offense Oregon has (minus Costa), there's no way you can convince me that the Husky D has advantage.

Posted by Purple Kaya

8:32 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Darrin Harris did look better at SS than FS after he and Forrester flipped flopped last year.

Posted by 206dogg

8:35 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Onewood-
You answered your on studid thought, they are STUDENT-athletes, student part always comes first. I played college football on a highly successful team that demanded lots of time. Guess what, there were many quarters I took 23+ credits and still maintained a 3.5 and participated fully in ALL football endeavors and training. These weren't easy classes either. I took them b/c i was motivated to not just get by with the bare minimum.
I'm not accusing Cameron of slacking off. If he is taking extra classes during the summer, that is to be applauded. HOWEVER, if he simply was trying to take the bare minimum, failed a class or 2 and then has to take summer classes to TRY and remain eligible (hence hurting the team severely b/c a starter at a weak position is missing practice) then he is a moron.

I hope you can see this

Posted by Paus To Hold

8:52 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Shooting Treys - I like the question about adjustments at halftime, that's got to be the number one issue for this team compared to last year since we did such a terrible job in the second half.

I think adjustments will obviously be much less pronounced if our first half packages are successful.

If we get run over by UO in the first half then I think we could see more 4-3 stuff and maybe even a 4-4 stack moving a more mobile guy in as the 4th linebacker to really force passes, but then the DBs need to be pretty attentive. I also think the safety blitz would become more prevalent, and if we can establish a good linebacker blitz the Tampa-2 becomes a valuable set to get turnovers which is supposed to be Donatell's big thing.

I'm curious to know if people think we have enough defensive backs ready that we could run a 3-2-6 Dime or a Nickel against teams that really like to air it out, maybe like Arizona will be able to do.

Finally, since we seem to have a lot of questions about RB starters and a perception of depth/speed there, is there any indication that we could run sets without Homer in the backfield with two TBs split by Locker in the Shotgun, in the mold of Oregon last year and similar to what teams like Illinois and Florida were able to do as well?

Posted by boondawg

9:01 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Jim -

Oregon's experience is also lacking at RB and at least one high profile WR (Williams) has had trouble catching the ball. I understand that Oregon has talent but, to bring up nearly every argument as to why the Huskies won't win this year, talent isn't enoguh. Oregon's lack of experience is key in the one position that they need it most, QB. That is also one of the places the Huskies have a leg up.

Posted by Sam

9:15 AM, Aug 20, 2008

boondawg - Oregon is not lacking experience at RB. Jeremiah Johnson has a ton of experience, and we have a junior college RB in the mold of Stewart that has college experience. All reports are the Jaison Williams worked on his eyesight over the offseason (with some NIKE eye training system, he may have even got lasik done)...I wouldn't bet on him having as much trouble catching the ball this year. UW certainly has a leg up with the QBs (will Locker be 100%?), but that's about it.

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

9:16 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Outside of 50/50 (J. Williams), the Yucks don't have much experience at WR either. Their LG is average to a little above average, but their RG doesn't impress me and Hucko is at least one step down from Schwartz.

Jerimiah Johnson has experience but he's coming off an ACL tear from less than a year ago. He's also had practice issues lately and Blount hyped as the next coming is just par for the course with UZero...long on hype, short on results.

I rooted for Corey Dillion, grew up in the same city as Corey Dillon, and watched Corey Dillon at UW and in the NFL. You, sir (Blount), are no Corey Dillon!!!

Posted by alan

9:20 AM, Aug 20, 2008

I have reviewed the schedules of many of the top teams and I must say the UW schedule is by far the toughest. The Notre Dame schedule is a joke. Tennessee plays University of Alabama Birmingham, Florida State plays Chattanooga, Texas plays Texas El Paso and Florida Atlantic, Ohio State plays Youngstown State, and Florida plays the Citadel. I am not a huge supporter of Ty but he is getting a raw deal by many and not even the administration is giving him a chance to win. I don't think any coach in America could be successful under these circumstances.

Posted by StarDawg Champion

9:24 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Treys -

My $0.02 worth on your questions:

1) What to do on defense? BRING IT!!! I don't think we win this game without taking some big risks (on offense and defense) If I were the DC, I would stack the box and throw everything I had at OU starting on down 1. I know this puts a lot of pressure on our DB's, but I think we need to keep hitting these guys in the mouth until they tap out. They may burn us for a long one, but they'll know they were lucky to escape and they will be worried about the rush before each snap. Once we get them playing on their heals, we'll be able to dictate the rest of the game.

2) Halftime adjustments - as a follow-on to #1, the second half is when I'd really start mixing it up with lots of fake blitzes, stunts, etc. All they'll have seen so far is 8 defenders in their collective grill for the first half, so throwing all these different looks at them in the second half should help us get some turnovers.

Obviously this is a go for broke strategy. Not everyone agrees with it, but it's the style I like. And as I said, I don't think we'll win by playing it safe. We need to put it all out there if we want to walk away 1-0.

GO DAWGS!!

Posted by boondawg

9:30 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Sam-

I will give you that Johnson has experience (I forgot he had a couple years), but wasn't he injured for most of last year? As for Blount's experience, he has Junior College experience which is not division I (no matter how bad you might think our defense is).

Oregon has several unknowns, will Johnson's knee hold up? How will Blount do in D-I competition? How will the QB handle adversity? Did, in fact, Williams learn to catch in the offseason? (Side note- I'm curious why it is okay to say that he improved his pass catching skills and we can't say that Locker improved his accuracy.)

My main point is that your offense is not as sure of a thing as everyone seems to be making it. Obviously the Ducks will not be incompetant in this area, but I think they'll struggle more than people think.

Posted by Seattle Dave

9:31 AM, Aug 20, 2008

w/r/t Florida, I agree the Citadel is kind of a joke but I have a hard time criticizing their schedule overall considering they also play Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, Florida State and Miami this year (and their "lesser" games include Arkansas, South Carolina and Kentucky) . That is ridiculous, and I'm not so sure I'd trade the Huskies' schedule for theirs.

Not quite sure why everybody is piling on Gage.

As far as Ty putting his fate in the hands of a freshman, if Polk is a Kaufman-type talent as he is rumored to be, he has to play and play as much as possible. Ty desperately needs someone else for the other team to worry about besides just Jake.

Posted by Sam

9:41 AM, Aug 20, 2008

boondawg - I agree with you, there are several unknowns for the Oregon offense. As a Duck fan though, the only one I'm worried about is QB. Oregon has PLENTY of quality experience at RB, all reports are that JJ is back to 100%. I'll take Blount's JC experience over starting a RB with only HS experience (see Polk). Let's not forget Andre Crenshaw (100+ yards and 2 TDs against the Huskies last year). As for JWill, we will have to wait and see. Even if he does drop passes like last year, he's still far and away the best receiver that will take the field on 8/30. Of course nothing is for certain, that's why they play the game.

My money will be on Oregon in a rout, though. No one is even talking about how the young Huskies will handle the crazy atmosphere and noise at Autzen.

Posted by Caldawg

9:52 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Bob, do you know if the Huskies are putting any focus on the clock changes when they scrimage or during practice. Seems they spend some time on it.

10:06 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Answering two questions --- Davenport cannot redshirt this year as he is in his fifth year of eligibillity.

I'm sure they are practicing with the new clock rules but that's the kind of thing we don't get to see so don't know for sure. But they did so in the spring, so I'm sure they are now.

Posted by augiedawg70

10:14 AM, Aug 20, 2008

It is purely my personal opinion, but I think the days of teams, as in the past five years, routing the Huskies are over.

And, it all starts on 08/30/08!

Posted by Formerly Guest

11:24 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Paus to Hold,

I think we have enough DBs to play a dime package consistently as needed.

OWW,
Interesting thoughts on Kravitz. I would be curious to see that. However, I see TW putting all his eggs in the backet of a true frosh at RB, if that true frosh is clearly head and shoulders above everyone else. The time to be conservative has passed. Program success and job futures depend upon calling out all the stops.

By the way, I think I saw on here a few days ago that despite being like 5'10" or 5'11", Polk carries about 15 pounds more than Fogerson (who having seen him on TV, I would not want Fogerson hitting me. I think it would kill me). Those numbers may be fudged, but if not, this guy may be more durable than we think.

However, although we have not seen him play a down yet, my sense is he will be indispensable Dawg#2, behind Jake. Thus whatever we can do to lighten his load and keep him safe from injuries would be wise.

Posted by Whiteoake Husky

1:17 PM, Aug 20, 2008

To be successful this year the Huskies must have a greatly improved defense. They have a highly respected new DC which gives hope. They must have better special teams play. There are coaching and attitude changes that give hope there. Jake must become a serious threat as a passer. There is every indication he has improved. Let's hope it is substantially. We can not run the team this year without making adjustments, from series to series, at halftime, between games. If Ty is going to show he can succeed at Washington, that is an absolute must. Don James era at the U wasn't universally successful, but from day one he was always making adjustments to address the teams most glaring deficits.. We will see a microcosm of the entire year in this first game. Have we addressed the glaring shortcomings of last year's team? Do we make adjustments as the game progreses? We will know the outlook for the year by the end of the third quarter of the UO game.
I think we are on the right track, and win or lose, we will see a new team out there. I sure hope so. I do think this is more about the coaching than the players this year. Ty bashers don't think he can make the adjustments. I think he can. I pray he can.

BOB, please respond. What is the deal with the tiny type in the comment box? It is assinine that it is too mall to read, and it has remained that way now for weeks. SUBMISSION ERROR AGAIN. WHEN IS THE *!@#% CAPTCHA GONNA GET FIXED??

Afternoon notes

Wednesday A.M practice report

Husky nightcap, Day 16

Afternoon practice notes

A few more afternoon notes