Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 19, 2008 4:05 PM

Afternoon practice notes

A little breezy as the Huskies hit the field this afternoon, with some prominent boosters and former players in attendance, many there as part of a group being solicited to help finance a renovation.

The team was in full pads and appeared ready for an intense day of work.

Other notes:

--- DT Cameron Elisara was not present, apparently still dealing with academic issues that also caused him to miss Monday's practice.

--- RB Brandon Johnson was also not there, seen later walking through the halls in street clothes. Unsure what the situation is there. Johnson said at lunchtime he made it through Monday's practice pretty good healthwise.

--- TE Michael Gottlieb, still dealing with a hamstring issue, was also not present, and also not there were CB Byron Davenport and RB Brandon Yakaboski, all also still dealing with injuries. Everybody else appeared present and accounted for.

--- Among those in full pads were OLs Juan Garcia, Casey Bulyca and Jordan White-Frisbee, all back to regular work after being limited much of last week. Also in full pads and not wearing red was C Matt Sedillo, apparently recovered from the minor concussion suffered last week.

--- S Victor Aiyewa was also again in full pads and seemed pretty full-go during a tackling drill, at one point making a nice spin move when working as a ballcarrier in the drill (players were wrapping up but not taking each other down).

--- Among the former players in attendance were Jabari Issa, Jason Chorak and Mike Ewaliko, all of mid-to-late-90s vintage.

Posted by Ishi

4:50 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Brandon Johnson, we barely knew ya. Get back soon so you can battle for third string.

Posted by purplehurt

4:51 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Hey Bob--

Have you heard anything about Craig Noble?

Posted by mattysimone

5:05 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Noble is still in cali waitin on test scores

Posted by ag

5:06 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Iím sure the response to that guyís blog post about practice was a little harsh but I donít think TW wants any positive reporting on the football team at all right now. I think he would just as soon keep Oregon and everyone only hearing all the negative predictions of doom and gloom we have been getting from everywhere all year long. Because once they beat the crap out of Oregon and BYU it will all be out in the open for everyone to see.

Posted by Sequim Dawg

5:13 PM, Aug 19, 2008

What is Elisara thinking? He finally has a chance to get some real playing time and he drops the ball with his school work? I am sure he will get his act together in time for the Ducks, but I hope that this gaff is due to his solely focusing on the weight room and team, and not some other problem.

Posted by poster

5:17 PM, Aug 19, 2008

I'm most likely a sign of immaturity. Hopefully he corrects the issue no matter what the cause.

Posted by poster

5:18 PM, Aug 19, 2008

That was a funny typo, I'm sure my wife would agree. I guess I try to run out of this blog before I'm drawn in by all the arguments "from the gut".

Correction: "It's most likely..."

Posted by Tom

5:28 PM, Aug 19, 2008

matty is obviously an idiot, judging by his ability to write coherently. The American education system has failed again. He has no desire to see the huskies win and cites one 4* recruit as the reason ty is the man for the job.

Posted by MelloDawg

5:28 PM, Aug 19, 2008

LFPDawg,

Sorry I missed your response in an earlier thread, hope you get this one.

I obviously think there needs to be an AD in place soon. I'm not sure how Woodward can continue to be the interim throughout the season. My guess is that he remains on full-time or they hire a new one as soon as the season is over and his FIRST move is to decide on Ty's future.

As for the V/A Game, I'll be playing in the block for it, but not on the field. There's a group going down for the Oregon game actually, though I won't be with them in that capacity.

Posted by mattysimone

5:47 PM, Aug 19, 2008

tom that was the last blog post move on or phuck off. I love when people bring education into a football argument. GET A LIFE, but dont forget to say bob hes being rude. you were the kid in that american education system that use to get the $hit beat out of you every day for being a smart ass. nobody ever told me how don james ran practices by the way......oh thats right the way ty is tryin to :)

Posted by TurbineSeaplane

5:56 PM, Aug 19, 2008

@Bob:

Any comments from former players like Chorak on their thoughts on what they are seeing out there on the field at the practices?

Liking it? Good toughness?

Posted by poster

6:00 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Hopefully as a source of discussion:

Obviously, the odds makers have Oregon as pretty big favorites. I actually think Washington has a chance, but there are so many unknowns that I'm not that certain what the outcome will be.

Question: If the Huskies win, will there be any surprises that lead to that win? If so, what would some of you think they'd be?

Posted by mattysimone

6:10 PM, Aug 19, 2008

whats the line up to 14? thats almost to good not to take....they think it will hit 17 by game time. on the other hand those guys in vegas always find a way......I think we win 38-31

6:15 PM, Aug 19, 2008

On Noble --- I'll address that in the blog later for everyone.

On Chorak --- I don't mean to keep going back to having only 25 minutes, but it makes it hard to get those kinds of views in that time. I didn't spot those guys until late in. Also, they are under the same gag order as the Tyees and everyone else. They aren't supposed to tell us anything. So it's a really good question that I can't really answer.

Posted by boondawg

6:19 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Poster -

I would like to see the Huskies come out throwing. Hit the Ducks where they believe (maybe even rightly so) they are the strongest. They have a good secondary, but they may be so worried about Locker's running ability and his previously poor air attack (which I believe will be improved) that they might defend loosely against the pass. We could take advantage of this and get a lead and subsequently an early lead, opening the door for a balance of running it down their throat and a revived air attack.

Posted by boondawg

6:21 PM, Aug 19, 2008

oops I think I repeated 'lead' twice. Hopefully it's not too incoherent

Posted by BoiseTruth

6:34 PM, Aug 19, 2008

mattysimone

Why are you only predicting a 7 point win? Oregon gave away all their secrets in their open scrimmage the other day. Their media, and fans have blabbed all over the place about the team. All their injuries are known to TW, and everyone else. We know Costa, and the rest of their QB's absolutely suck ( rhymes with duck just for you matty). And, of course, TW is the greatest, smartest, and most successful coach in the history of college football. All that should add up to a forty (40) point UW win right matty? If it doesn't, then maybe all that openness really didn't hurt anything. Good coaches, and good football players win games. Not secrecy, and non-disclosure forms. If TW has the former, he won't have to worry about the latter.

Posted by mutt

7:01 PM, Aug 19, 2008

I do believe the only thing that can stop the Huskies is attitude, and the idea that some one has a couple of years on them, kind of like the big brother thing, your two years older then me.....forget it , knock-um on their a$$, the uncertainty will change!!!

Posted by mattysimone

7:11 PM, Aug 19, 2008

don james had closed practices ...boise id love a 40 point victory but then what would the haters say. can somebody please proof read this for me. Where did my English teacher tom go? TYs gonna blow up this year and go 8-4 9-3 and the say screw you and leave us for another 5 years of misery..........thanks ty haters.

GO HUSKIES.

Cant wait to hear the siren.

Posted by Formerly Guest

8:52 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Random thought here-
I was always critical of Cody Ellis because I thought he didn't contribute much on the field that I could ever see.

But I always thought it was admirable that he was such a smartie in the classroom. Amazing GPA, while spending 40 hrs/wk or more year round trying to be ready for football. What a great achievement.

Seems all the greater today, when we have guys we really need on the field who are having trouble staying eligible.

You can't contribute if you can't maintain eligibility.

Posted by MelloDawg

10:46 PM, Aug 19, 2008

I love it. mattysimone has to be about 17 or 18 years old who goes with his parents to Husky games and thinks he understands UW football tradition. I had some friends like that growing up, but I never really got it myself until I was immersed in Husky football. Now that I know how Tyball is NOT Husky football in any sense of the word, it all makes sense.

Posted by mattysimone

10:13 AM, Aug 20, 2008

mello...your a punk id love to run into you. Yeah I roll with my pops why wouldnt I he has seats on the 50! Spend my own money or go with dad....hmmm let me think about that....kick rocks yellowdawg. Im 30 and proud that I get to go to games with my dad unlike you a bastard born to a horror.....yes this post is real immature but im sick of idiots like you......go walk in front a train today please......sorry for the spicy post bobby

Wednesday A.M practice report

Husky nightcap, Day 16

Afternoon practice notes

A few more afternoon notes

Locker expects to be 100 percent for Oregon