Husky Football Blog

Times reporter Bob Condotta keeps the news coming about the Montlake Dawgs.

E-mail Bob| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

July 23, 2008 2:56 PM

Price talks about commitment

Keith Price, a quarterback from Bellflower, Calif., said he knew well that Washington didn't have a commitment for its recruiting class of 2009 until he gave Husky coaches the good word today, and that there is conjecture about the future of UW coach Tyrone Willingham.

"That was my main hesitation (in not commiting earlier),'' he said today when he spoke with the Times after having told UW coaches he plans to sign with the Huskies next February. But he said his some of his worries were calmed in conversations with Willingham.

"I have faith in coach Willingham and the program and that he's going to turn it around,'' Price said. "So that's why I gave him my commitment.''

Price said he found Willingham to be "a great motivator, a very upbeat guy'' in his conversations, which also helped convince him to become a Husky.

Price, a 6-2, 181-pounder who is a dual threat in the Dennis Dixon mold, said it had been a fairly short courtship with Washington. He said he hadn't heard anything from UW coaches until June, when first-year assistant Brian White saw his highlights.

"Then after that they were talking about offering me and I was like 'where did that come from?''' he said.

Price visited UW in late June, attending the school's football camp, which helped further cement interest in him from the Huskies. He said UW offensive coordinator Tim Lappano told him that none of the other QBs in the camp had the combination of throwing and running. "He said I was perfect for them,'' Price said. "He said after Jake (Locker) leaves and I redshirt my freshmen year I could be ready to go.''

Price said he was leaning toward commiting during that visit but wanted to do a little more research on the school and talk with his parents. He also recently got an offer from Utah (and had one from Nevada) and said more interest was beginning to come in --- Louisville had also begun to talk with him and he said he's also spoken with Oregon and WSU (though UW is his only listed Pac-10 offer).

"I wanted to stay on the West Coast and I wanted to stay in the Pac-10,'' he said. "I got some looks from Louisville and they really liked me, but I didn't really want to go back East. I wanted to stay on the West Coast. ... Washington, I'm already used to the offense. It's the same kind of offense my high school is running so I thought it would be a perfect fit.''

Price has been described as being an "under-the-radar'' type who was only now beginning to get a lot of attention. He said it's in part because last year was his first as a starting QB at his high school and the team concentrated on its running game before the leading rusher was hurt midway through the season, allowing him to throw the ball a bit more.

But he said he has been playing football since age 7 and quarterback since age 8, so he's hardly a novice to the position.

He also plays basketball and ran one season of track.

Price said he hopes his commitment will help spur more recruits to cast their lot with UW. He said he had already spoken with receiver Kirby Moore of Prosser. He got to know Moore at the UW camp a few weeks ago.

"He's texting me right now saying he heard about it and congratulations,'' Price said. "I'm trying to get him up there. When I was at the camps I felt like I'd been with him forever becacuse he was catching everything I threw at him.''

Price said he has put on a few pounds and now weighs 181 and hopes to be 185-188 by next fall.

Posted by Hounder

3:54 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Great news for the Dawgs. Now we need Moore and Coleman to jump on board!

Posted by MattySimone

4:06 PM, Jul 23, 2008

nice snag!!! welcome PRICE!!!! let the flood gates open...

Posted by shane/olympia

4:10 PM, Jul 23, 2008

yeah moore and especially coleman would be great additions and a great start on the in state talent.

moore sounds like he is close to price and was catching balls with current huskie cody bruns at prosser

Posted by KC

4:18 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Good get Ty, now you just need to win some games, no moral victories this season.

Posted by pdxdawg

4:23 PM, Jul 23, 2008

"He said after Jake leaves and I redshirt my freshman year I could be ready to go"
Does this mean the UW coaching staff sees Jake leaving early as a foregone conclusion?

Posted by pdxdawg

4:28 PM, Jul 23, 2008

I forgot to add a congrats to Price. Glad to have him on board, and lets hope this gets things rolling. Nice to get that first one under your belt (although I wish it happened earlier than July 23). Basically it comes down to winning games. If we start the season with a couple b ig upsets/wins, the recruits will undoubtedly come. It's not time to panic yet, but Price's commitment is some much needed good news. Go Dawgs!

Posted by AZ Dawg

4:40 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Anyone know the over/ under on moral victories for us this year?
+4.5?

Posted by mutt

4:46 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Ty will do it, Blah, Blah, Blah, next round of bull crap!

Posted by MelloDawg

4:52 PM, Jul 23, 2008

"I have faith in Coach Willingham and that he's going to turn it aroun."

Sadly for you but fortunately for the rest of us, Mr. Price, that decision is not up to you.

Posted by Sittingdawg

4:57 PM, Jul 23, 2008

I love how one of his first comments is about getting other guys to commit to UW, including Kirby Moore. That shows good leadership, and he sounds like a well-spoken kid. Welcome, Kevin!

Posted by Ducks Dominate 8-30

5:06 PM, Jul 23, 2008

A RECRUIT.....wow....a recruit. Can you believe it. The Huskies got a recruit. How in the world did you get this guy away from Nevada and San Jose State.

Posted by Sittingdawg

5:17 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Um... you mean Louisville, Utah, and Oregon??

"Louisville had also begun to talk with him and he said he's also spoken with Oregon and WSU "

Posted by JimBobJoe

5:19 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Holy cow. Tyrone got a commitment. Too bad it is too little too late. Kind of like his rebuilding project.

Posted by Ducks Dominate 8-30

5:22 PM, Jul 23, 2008

You mean he called Oregon and talked to the person that picked up the phone.

Posted by dale919

5:25 PM, Jul 23, 2008

UW President Mark Emmert says "you have to hold people accountable". If Emmert had any balls he'd step up and admit that he's the reason we have so few commits for 2009.

Posted by onewoodwacker

5:29 PM, Jul 23, 2008

I'm with shane. Our in-state priorities have to be Coleman, Trufant, Enger, Heard, Moore and Simone. Maybe in that order Once the ball gets rolling on the in-state guys I think they all commit pretty fast.

But that is only in-state five guys - ALL the rest of this years recruiting class with the exceptiion maybe, Nolan Washington and Marcel Seely who may get offered, are gonna come from out-of-state.

I don't see any of those guys committing until after they have taken ALL of their visits. That might be true of our in-state guys as well.

With such a small class (and small in-state class) this coaching staff just can't make a mistake and I think will probably be the TOUGHEST recruiting class this Staff will incounter here.

Welcome aboard Mr. Price, good to see your intellegence come through.

Posted by onewoodwacker

5:33 PM, Jul 23, 2008

dale919-

Totally agree - been saying that for months. Going public is not the smartest decision.

Posted by onewoodwacker

5:38 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Something is going on with my keyboard here. It's leaving out words on my last two posts. Anyway -I wanted to say that I don't believe Emmert's comment is the whole reason, but he is the man in charge and good examples start from the top. Our win-loss record is just as much to blame.

Posted by Huskiebob

6:17 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Congrats Kevin. Great to have you commit to the Huskies. Look forward to seeing you have a great Senior year !

Ducks Dominate - He might have considered Oregon but he has a solid GPA and did not want to attend Junior College.

Posted by ice

6:36 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Whoa...wait a minute. Hold the applause.

Why all the jumping up and down? This guy is a three-star QB who only had offers from Nevada and Utah? No offers from other Pac 10 schools?

I guess one commit is better than none, but wow, he's not even ranked by Rivals. Yikes.

Posted by UWdoc

6:41 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Actually Ice and WSUx3,

This guy has a tremendous buzz coming off summer camps. He is actually named one of the Fastest rising prospects in the west.

Here is an excerpt from a recent story

QB Keith Price, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco
PARTICULARS: 6-1/176
THE BUZZ: He has impressed everywhere he has been this summer and shown rapid development between his junior and senior seasons. He recently was offered by San Diego State and Washington. He has proved in camps he can be "Pac-10 good," and if he does it on the field, his ranking should shoot up.

Posted by Little Darryl

6:46 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Sounds like a great get with a lot of upside. Let's hope this gets the ball rolling.

I wouldn't be surprised if some other Pac 10 teams try to poach him away from us when he has a big senior season.

Posted by UWdoc

6:47 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Add to that that many analyst (ESPN, A recent rivals article, the OC register to name a few) thinks that this kid has been flying under the radar for quite sometime. Quite a few site think that once he get into his senior year and get some game film out there his stock will be through the roof

Posted by shane/olympia

7:05 PM, Jul 23, 2008

pdx dawg

locker has his soph jt and senior year

price has his senior red shirt and frehsmen year before he contends for qb time

7:16 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Two responses --- He did mention WSU as a school he had talked with, as well, but not an offer.

I know I'm the one who provided it, but I wouldn't read too much into the quote about being ready to go after his redshirt year. I think they just mean by that point he'd be ready to get in the mix to play. But obviously, they do have to prepare for the possibility Locker could leave since it could happen --- Willingham has already publicly said that a few times that it could happen. I don't think they think it's a foregone conclusion --- who knows what will happen the next two years? But in recruiting, you have to plan for every eventuality. So getting a QB in this class who could be ready to play that year was important.

Posted by DucksDominate 8-30

7:39 PM, Jul 23, 2008

HuskieBob.....I think it would actually be spelled...

HuskyBob.....but hey....you must have gotten a UW education.

Posted by OlyDawg

8:14 PM, Jul 23, 2008

The Duck plague is trying to infect this blog. Little brother syndrome anyone??

Is there any truth to what I read before that he was Co-MVP with Matt Barkley (#1 recruit in the country) in their league last season? If so, that says alot about this guys potential. I'd love to see some video of him.

Can't to see how he does during his senior season.

Posted by NotOregon

8:15 PM, Jul 23, 2008

I would never admit I was an oregon student since it means my education got compromised for a middling football program.

Posted by OlyDawg

8:18 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Meant to say "can't wait to see his senior season."

Posted by poster

8:22 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Off Topic:

Turnovers and special teams may loom large in game 1. An inexperienced QB can easily turn the ball over once (or more) times a game, and UW's excellent recruiting class from last year can significantly improve special teams (including a new ST coach). Jeremiah Johnson may actually be the best back in the Pac, but if the defense can key on him more (inexperienced QB can fake as well, or run as well, or hell, pass as well as Dixon). Oregon is typically damned strong at home, and pretty much always come out on fire in the first quarter at home, but if they are trailing with an inexperienced QB in a game they are "supposed" to win, then his chances of errors increase demonstrably. I actually think this game is pretty even, with the QB leadership of UW making the difference. UW wins, and the professional commentators notice the black swan only after the game.

Posted by poster

8:26 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Read what I meant to write, not what I wrote. :)

Wrong parenthesis placement, should be (one or more times);

Should be inexperienced QB "can't" fake as well, instead of "can".

Probably another error or two in there.

Who cares, no apologies. Just want to be clarify the post.

Posted by poster

8:29 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Jebus. A glass of wine after a long day and I can't even edit correctly...

Oh well.

Bob, do you ever introduce errors when you are editing out other errors?

Disregard.

Posted by hugh

11:24 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Wow! Willingham out-recruited Utah!

The Glory Days are back!

Sunday links

Scrimmage? Maybe. Definitely no Locker

Saturday notes

Huskies get one vote in AP poll, other notes

Husky nightcap, Friday edition